What do you REALLY think Rodgers would garner in a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The insinuation that he can, by force, make GB pay him $46mil is just unnecessary worrying.

He absolutely could refuse to sign an extension with GB and say he just wants to play out the final year of his contract... and become a unrestricted FA unable to be frachised, when his deal voids on 7th day of 2023 league year

In that instance he would count over 46 million against the cap. And the Packers would be unable to do an auto restructure of his 26 m base salary because he has no years remaining to spread that money out over. The team cannot add void years without the players signature. Hes not going to be paid 46 m either way thats just his cap charge

In all likelihood though if Rodgers decided to use that tactic it would be to force a trade to whichever team he has decided he wants to play for

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In all likelihood though if Rodgers decided to use that tactic it would be to force a trade to whichever team he has decided he wants to play for
and if things escalated to that point and all the Packers could get was a 4th round pick for Rodgers from Denver, they would trade him to whatever team they wanted to and reduce the ask to conditional picks (on Rodgers reporting).

I get that you think that Rodgers has all the power and he does to some extent, if he wants to be a Richard about it. I just don't see that happening, because the Packers can also be a Richard about it as well.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible. But I think before all that happens, the Packers (not Rodgers) are in conversations with teams that are interested in trading for Rodgers. The specifics of the trade, including what said team is willing to give up in a trade are hammered out. After which, the team informs Rodgers of the teams that they are willing to trade him to.

I mean thats how the Packers would wanna do that but why would Rodgers allow them that luxury?

In this scenario he has decided he wants to play for the broncos and only the broncos. He has zero allegiance to the Packers and 100% to the broncos the team he now hopes to win a SB with. I highly doubt because he has reconciled with gute and has some kind of sentiment for him and his former team. He allows a bidding war for his services that causes the capital needed to aquire him to go up thus theoretically decreasing his chances to win a SB

Also the Packers are only trading him if he forces them to...so this would be him saying ive got a 46 m cap charge ill play out my contract and become a fa in 2023 if you dont trade to...insert name of team Rodgers wants to go to. The way they restructured his contract to get him back last season really gave Rodgers all the power

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and if things escalated to that point and all the Packers could get was a 4th round pick for Rodgers from Denver, they would trade him to whatever team they wanted to and reduce the ask to conditional picks (on Rodgers reporting).

I get that you think that Rodgers has all the power and he does to some extent, if he wants to be a Richard about it. I just don't see that happening, because the Packers can also be a Richard about it as well.

But is it really being a Richard? This is Rodgers job. If I was changing to a new employer... I wouldnt care about whats gonna happen at the old employer. Like I wouldnt worry that they werent gonna be able to get the job done without me. I would be focused on trying to making this new job work out the best it can....

Now please explain to me what options the Packers have to be a richard about it?

All they could do is make him sit out the year and become unrestricted on 7th day of 2023 league year. And yes theyd get a end of 3rd round compensatory.

Oh wait and im wrong about that because Rodgers could just report and they cant have him count 46m against the cap.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now please explain to me what options the Packers have to be a richard about it?
Like I said, they could trade him to any team that wanted him. The draft pics could be conditional on Rodgers reporting. Rodgers does not have a no trade clause, that I am aware of.

Your scenario sounds more plausible prior to the Packers and Rodgers mending the fence, but even still, last year, the Packers had the final say in which team they would trade Rodgers to.

Could your scenario happen? Sure, but I disagree with you that it wouldn't be a Richard move on Rodgers part if it did.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh wait and im wrong about that because Rodgers could just report and they cant have him count 46m against the cap.
If AR "plays hardball" the Packer could afford his $46Mil cap hit, but he'd be playing with many young guys in re-build mode... which wouldn't be good for his health or psyche. The receiving corps would be young & learning so AR's targets & stats would take a big hit. Jenkins won't be available until mid-season, Turner & Lewis would be cap-cuts so the OL wouldn't be a strength, possibly getting AR injured at some point. Better yet, GB could choose to give Love the experience & have AR holding the clipboard. Don't think hard-ball would be the smartest move by AR. ;)

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, they could trade him to any team that wanted him. The draft pics could be conditional on Rodgers reporting. Rodgers does not have a no trade clause, that I am aware of.

Your scenario sounds more plausible prior to the Packers and Rodgers mending the fence, but even still, last year, the Packers had the final say in which team they would trade Rodgers to.

Could your scenario happen? Sure, but I disagree with you that it wouldn't be a Richard move on Rodgers part if it did.

Yeah but last year Rodgers did not have the restructured contract he does this year...that restructure gave Rodgers all the power in this situation

And yeah they could do that...but knowing how stubborn Rodgers is...dont you think hed just either refuse to report or say injure his hamstring the first day of practice. To ensure the packers got basucally nothing in return

Also I dont believe any other team would agree to that trade unless they knew, through back channels, Rodgers was willing to play for them. Why would they sign up for the circus otherwise

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If AR "plays hardball" the Packer could afford his $46Mil cap hit, but he'd be playing with many young guys in re-build mode... which wouldn't be good for his health or psyche. Jenkins won't be available until mid-season, Turner & Lewis would be cap-cuts so the OL wouldn't be a strength, possibly getting AR injured at some point. The receiving corps would be young & learning so AR's targets & stats would take a big hit. Don't think hard-ball would be the smartest move by AR. ;)

Could Rodgers not just get "injured" in the first practice, say a soft tissue. Like a hamstring and sit out the whole season and still get paid? Cuz there would be no way to prove that he was not really injured

Then you got Jordan Love playing with those "young guys" and now youve ruined him ala david carr

Trust me the Packers do not want Rodgers playing hardball thats not a battle or war they win. Best case for the Packers organization and fans is that Rodgers wants to stay and finish out in GB. And all indications are that, thats the case

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could Rodgers not just get "injured" in the first practice, say a soft tissue. Like a hamstring and sit out the whole season and still get paid? Cuz there would be no way to prove that he was not really injured

Then you got Jordan Love playing with those "young guys" and now youve ruined him ala david carr

Trust me the Packers do not want Rodgers playing hardball thats not a battle or war they win. Best case for the Packers organization and fans is that Rodgers wants to stay and finish out in GB. And all indications are that, thats the case

Believe the team's and league's medical processes would not allow such a stunt.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They could "Watson" him and tell him to stay away from the team... basically paying him to sit for a year. No "winner" in this situation as AR loses one of his remaining possible playing-years so don't think it would devolve to this situation. IF AR doesn't want to stay it benefits both parties to work a trade to a team that AR is "OK" with, probably gets an extension on his contract, and GB gets reasonably fair compensation for a back-to-back MVP QB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Again, your scenario could happen, I am not saying that it couldn't. You just seem to be trying too hard to weave a story that I believe actually WOULD make Rodgers look like a real Richard, especially in the eyes of all Packer fans.

If a trade happens, I believe that there will be a happy median reached of what the Packers get and where Rodgers go.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sometimes I wonder what people have seen to make them think all these absolute worst things about Gute, Murphy, Rodgers, etc. They're just people and seem to be pretty decent ones at the end of the day too. There's quite a range of "acceptable" outcomes to all of this and i'm quite certain whatever happens will fall in that range somewhere.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sometimes I wonder what people have seen to make them think all these absolute worst things about Gute, Murphy, Rodgers, etc. They're just people and seem to be pretty decent ones at the end of the day too. There's quite a range of "acceptable" outcomes to all of this and i'm quite certain whatever happens will fall in that range somewhere.

Honestly I've never witnessed any interviews, statements or quotes from Gute or Murphy that at least have made me have less than good feelings about them. Rodgers on the other hand is at minimum an arrogant man, not just confident, but very arrogant. Does arrogance make you a bad person persay, no - fully admit that. Arrogant people however annoy me more than nearly anything on earth outside of folks behaving with no moral compass, especially in a task, position or job which one is not just expected to but it is a given they will.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he's arrogant, I don't happen to think so. I think he plays with people and tells him that he is, and they still play and get mad at him. He's told them not to pay attention to things in the media, don't believe everything you read. Don't jump to conclusions. Yet year after year, story after story, drama after drama with the same media players and fans. at the end of the day, I think he's quite content to live his life and let everyone else live their's. I don't see that as arrogance.

anyway, Maybe his post was just heartfelt gratitude. Maybe he's arrogant and wants everyone talking about him, maybe he fed his trolls and they're fat and happy today. I don't know, I don't really care. What I do know, he said he'd have an answer for the FO by the time FA starts so they could make decisions accordingly. That's about all I as a fan could expect from him and I would floored if he didn't keep his word on that.

The rest? fluff, again

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To me their are only 2 options for how this goes, well i guess 3 but I dont think Rodgers retiring is realistic

1. Rodgers returns to Packers with a new contract extension

2. Rodgers forces a trade to a team of his choosing and signs a new contract extension

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am hoping they are already in 3 way discussions.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes, but within those there are ranges of "acceptable" and outlandish. Like extension and return. Would Rodgers get 60% of the cap in a contract for the next 3 years and expect to have a super bowl team? I'd say no.

Trade? lots of scenarios that work between picks and players. Do I think the FO says, FU, you go where we tell you, like maybe the Jags and suck for the last 2 years on a team in disarray? No, just as I don't think Rodgers will say, FU, i'm only going to play for Denver so get it done for a 6th round pick and so long suckers.

They have level heads, whatever the situation, it will be something that is within that acceptable range. The only ones it won't be for are those that have a very very narrow and specific point that makes it so. The rest of the league and players will likely see it in broader terms.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am hoping they are already in 3 way discussions.

Knowing what you know about Rodgers you really think hed provide the packers a list of 3 teams hes willing to be traded to and wiling to sign an extension with...and then say have at guys 3 way bidding war, bleed my new team for as many resources as you can just absolutely gut em gute...

Would that be smart of him if hes trying to win a sb with his new team?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Knowing what you know about Rodgers you really think hed provide the packers a list of 3 teams hes willing to be traded to and wiling to sign an extension with...and then say have at guys 3 way bidding war, bleed my new team for as many resources as you can just absolutely gut em gute...

By 3 way, I mean keeping Rodgers in the loop. It seems like Denver would be the place. But yes, options for other teams need to be taken into consideration.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By 3 way, I mean keeping Rodgers in the loop. It seems like Denver would be the place. But yes, options for other teams need to be taken into consideration.

So Rodgers, Adams, and whos the 3rd?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do I think the FO says, FU, you go where we tell you, like maybe the Jags and suck for the last 2 years on a team in disarray? No, just as I don't think Rodgers will say, FU, i'm only going to play for Denver so get it done for a 6th round pick and so long suckers

No not for a 6th round pick but Rodgers isnt gonna set up a bidding war situation...the packers would still get a nice package im sure just not as much as they potentially could if they had more leverage

I simply don't think the FO has the option to say FU at this point...i mean why wouldnt Rodgers just laugh and say im not playing for the jaguars FU and make that known to the point that the jaguars would not be willing to make the trade

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Since what you are suggesting never happens, that we know of, I would say that it is unlikely to happen in this situation. I also would say that you are suggesting a very slippery slope for Rodgers to put himself on, with his old and new team. What you suggest hints to Rodgers calling all the shots for his new team as well. Do they now need his permission to do what they feel is necessary to improve the team, despite what Rodgers thinks?

Rodgers isn't stupid, he knows he brings a lot of value in a trade, telling his new team and the Packers that he will only "allow/honor" the trade if his new team gets him for peanuts, is out of touch with reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts