What do you REALLY think Rodgers would garner in a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jimmy G is at worst case an average QB. All he has done is prove that his whole career. Sorry disagree with saying he is below average...but maybe we have different opinions of what that means...rate the following either Average or Below Average (or even good if you want) and I'll know better:

Jay Cutler (say middle of his starting years in CHI)
Ryan Fitzpatrick (presently)
Ryan Tannehill (presently)
Kurt Cousins (presently)
Jared Goff (presently)
Joe Flacco (post super bowl year or two):

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jimmy G is not a good qb...he is below average. And a terrible decision maker to boot
He is far better then Love and a good stop gap betting Rodgers leaving and Love taking over. And with solid team JimmyG will be adequate for couple of years and keep us competitive.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jimmy G is at worst case an average QB. All he has done is prove that his whole career. Sorry disagree with saying he is below average...but maybe we have different opinions of what that means...rate the following either Average or Below Average (or even good if you want) and I'll know better:

Kurt Cousins (presently)
Jared Goff (presently)

I believe jimmy g was rated as the 21st best starting qb...that is not average. And his decision making is way worse than that, he pkays like he doesnt care or care to think idk. That last play against the rams was inexcusable

If he was a better decision maker he has the physical tools to be a top 16 guy, average or above average. I did think earlier in his career he was above average and ill guve him this he mostly gets the w

To really know id have to research these guys a bit but just off the top of my head
Jay cutler average kind of a jimmy g "dont care"
Ryan Fitzpatrick below average
Ryan Tannehill below average
Kurt Cousins average, argument for bottom of list of above average
Jared Goff well below average
Joe Flacco average, argument for samecas cousins but i remember least about him at that time

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kurt Cousins (presently)
Jared Goff (presently)
I would probably take all of those QB's other than Flacco over Jimmy G. yeah, even Cutler. Definitely Tannehil and Cousins. No question.

Jimmy G rarely has pressure to perform. yeah he makes a pass or 2 once and while, but that team depends on him to be good or great almost 0% of the time. It's all by design, and safe, and scripted with the defense, run game, and very high percentage stuff in close games.

Put pressure from another offense on him and then add pressure in the play from your own defense? You'll see just how good he is, which is to say, not very.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is far better then Love and a good stop gap betting Rodgers leaving and Love taking over. And with solid team JimmyG will be adequate for couple of years and keep us competitive.

Im not so sure hes better than Love Id have to see Love start for a season. Love certainly has the tools to be much better. I know nothing about his decision making

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would probably take all of those QB's other than Flacco over Jimmy G. yeah, even Cutler. Definitely Tannehil and Cousins. No question.

Fair enough...I see those all as not below average except for Flacco ( I see him as below average). We aren't that fair apart on how we think of Jimmy G.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe jimmy g was rated as the 21st best starting qb...that is not average. And his decision making is way worse than that, he pkays like he doesnt care or care to think idk. That last play against the rams was inexcusable

If he was a better decision maker he has the physical tools to be a top 16 guy, average or above average. I did think earlier in his career he was above average and ill guve him this he mostly gets the w

To really know id have to research these guys a bit but just off the top of my head
Jay cutler average kind of a jimmy g "dont care"
Ryan Fitzpatrick below average
Ryan Tannehill below average
Kurt Cousins average, argument for bottom of list of above average
Jared Goff well below average
Joe Flacco average, argument for samecas cousins but i remember least about him at that time

Gotcha, you're just a much harsher critic on QBs than I. If you say Fitz, Tannehill, Goff are same as Jimmy G level wise I'm with you

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotcha, you're just a much harsher critic on QBs than I. If you say Fitz, Tannehill, Goff are same as Jimmy G level wise I'm with you

I think goff worse but id agree about the other 3 being same level...and admittedly i dont know much about goff other than the times he faced GB

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not so sure hes better than Love Id have to see Love start for a season. Love certainly has the tools to be much better. I know nothing about his decision making
Well brother there are different philosophical approaches we can take to this.
We can trade Rodgers and use the draft capital to strengthen our team in various ways for the long haul.

Then start Love day one and let's see if he sinks or swims.
Then depending on the outcome make a decision next off-season what's next.
I'm perfectly fine with this approach as well.

There are many avenues forward. It's more of a matter of ideology and since we aren't the GM I guess we can just compare notes and share ideas.

Reaction score
I don't believe Rodgers retires but will either remain with GB and redo his contract which will just push cap problems into the future or ask to be traded. The Packers have already let it be known that they want him back.
I agree fully with this part

I’m just not getting your point with the other alternative you continue to elude to. Rodgers cannot force the Packers to play him by showing up to camp. If GB wanted to move on from him they’d hold his feet to the fire if as Aaron as an “at-will” employee refused to comply with a trade option. Contrary to what you are implying.. Aaron Rodgers can’t tell the Packers what to do. He can play jerk and refuse a trade, but he’d eventually stand to lose millions going that Avenue. Deadlines would pass and he wouldn’t be playing and they could call his contract due. These ideas are the reasons they sign specific contracts with specific terms and allowances, that way we avoid frivolous disagreements and be petty arguments.

He’ll either retire, agree to a trade or get extended/restructured. The insinuation that he can, by force, make GB pay him $46mil is just unnecessary worrying. No I’m not a CBA expert but I do work with contracts and I am more versed than most (21yrs) with legalities. The bigger contracts are? the greater chance they go to terms. That’s being objective and not opinion.

The part that’s more subjective.
He’ll likely restructure/extend imo. As of today that’s a 60% chance. I’m personally ok with it if they think they can make it work

Maybe 30% he gets traded

10% he retires (it’s probably more like 3% but I don’t want to jinx us!)

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As you can tell by this list, the no-trade clause is almost exclusively used to protect elite quarterbacks (with the exception of Jimmy G). The only non-QBs on the short list are Kansas City Chiefs offensive lineman Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (2020 Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year), Chicago Bears tight end Jimmy Graham and superstar Arizona Cardinals wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins.

So 4 out of 8, or exactly half means almost exclusively

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well brother there are different philosophical approaches we can take to this.
We can trade Rodgers and use the draft capital to strengthen our team in various ways for the long haul.

Then start Love day one and let's see if he sinks or swims.
Then depending on the outcome make a decision next off-season what's next.
I'm perfectly fine with this approach as well.

There are many avenues forward. It's more of a matter of ideology and since we aren't the GM I guess we can just compare notes and share ideas.

Yeah for sure i agree that would be the way to go if you trade Rodgers but id only trade Rodgers if i truly believe Love has "it"

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Rams winning the SB with Stafford under center, is probably the best thing that could have happened for the Packers, if they are planning on trading Rodgers. There are a number of teams out there (Denver, Raiders, WFT, Browns etc.) that probably consider themselves an Aaron Rodgers away from being legit SB contenders.

Also, most of those teams have a QB they probably are willing to give up in a deal. If the reports that I see online about the Packers don't think Love is their future QB, are true, then I would try to get a QB like Derek Carr in the deal. No need to take a QB that is destined to just be a backup.

I think this Denver scenario might be close, but I'd think the Broncos would need to include a mid level starter too.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Rams winning the SB with Stafford under center, is probably the best thing that could have happened for the Packers, if they are planning on trading Rodgers. There are a number of teams out there (Denver, Raiders, WFT, Browns etc.) that probably consider themselves an Aaron Rodgers away from being legit SB contenders.

Also, most of those teams have a QB they probably are willing to give up in a deal. If the reports that I see online about the Packers don't think Love is their future QB, are true, then I would try to get a QB like Derek Carr in the deal. No need to take a QB that is destined to just be a backup.

I think this Denver scenario might be close, but I'd think the Broncos would need to include a mid level starter too.

But Rodgers would surely be smart enough to agree to a trade to only one of those teams to keep his value as low as possible to give his new team the best chance to win SB possible...the packers cant have rodgers on roster at 46 m so he essentially holds all the leverage

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But Rodgers would surely be smart enough to agree to a trade to only one of those teams to keep his value as low as possible to give his new team the best chance to win SB possible
I doubt what a team has to give up to obtain him, will push Rodgers one direction or another. I expect offers from teams interested would have to appease the Packers, not Rodgers. I also can see Rodgers wanting the deal to look huge, since in his mind, that increases his own self worth.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am so not used to seeing him in any other colors but green and yellow!
Oh well.
If the Packer head cheese think he has gotta go then they gotta do what is best for the team!

While we may object to it we have to trust that they know what they are doing since they know pro football then all of us on here put together.
If any of us had just a smidgen of knowledge they do, we would be in the office instead of here.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I admit I don't look for Packer news like some of you but what are these reports you speak of. I've not seen anything of the sort.
All speculation of course, no concrete news out of Green Bay. Which is why I said "if they are true".

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt what a team has to give up to obtain him, will push Rodgers one direction or another. I expect offers from teams interested would have to appease the Packers, not Rodgers. I also can see Rodgers wanting the deal to look huge, since in his mind, that increases his own self worth.

Haha thats not what I said at all...I said if Rodgers wants to be traded the way itll work is. He will pick ONE team that he is willing to be traded to and sign an extension. Sht maybe hed even refuse to sign an extension.

In that scenario it just becomes a year try out. Rodgers would count less than 27 million against the cap for his new team while being able to see how it works out before committing to that team long term. While also drastically limiting what hus new team would have to give up as hed be a 1 year rental becoming a free agent on the 7th day of the league year 2023 so his new team wouldnt be able to franchise him.

You see how Rodgers has all the leverage because the Packers cant have him on the roster at over 46 million against the cap.

He either signs an extension or the Packers have to trade him to basically whoever he chooses, no bidding war between those teams you mentioned would ever happen because Rodgers is smart enough to say hes only willing to go to ONE

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Haha thats not what I said at all...I said if Rodgers wants to be traded the way itll work is. He will pick ONE team that he is willing to be traded to and sign an extension. Sht maybe hed even refuse to sign an extension.

In that scenario it just becomes a year try out. Rodgers would count less than 27 million against the cap for his new team while being able to see how it works out before committing to that team long term. While also drastically limiting what hus new team would have to give up as hed be a 1 year rental becoming a free agent on the 7th day of the league year 2023 so his new team wouldnt be able to franchise him.

You see how Rodgers has all the leverage because the Packers cant have him on the roster at over 46 million against the cap.

He either signs an extension or the Packers have to trade him to basically whoever he chooses, no bidding war between those teams you mentioned would ever happen because Rodgers is smart enough to say hes only willing to go to ONE
Sorry to have misunderstood you, it sounded like you were implying Rodgers would dictate his trade value when you said:

But Rodgers would surely be smart enough to agree to a trade to only one of those teams to keep his value as low as possible to give his new team the best chance to win SB possible
I think he will be more concerned about the dynamics of the team he may be traded to, than the values exchanged. I also don't think a team is just going to take him on his remaining contract.

Now if you are implying collusion on his part with a new team. ie Rodgers telling the Broncos that they are the only team he will make the trade work for, so only offer the Packers a 4th rounder, I doubt that happens quietly enough for the NFL not to notice.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now if you are implying collusion on his part with a new team. ie Rodgers telling the Broncos that they are the only team he will make the trade work for, so only offer the Packers a 4th rounder, I doubt that happens quietly enough for the NFL not to notice.

Its not collusion in my opinion because Rodgers just needs to know the list of teams who is interested to then narrow it down to one. The teams dont need to be involved

But yes Im saying that in the Rodgers demands a trade scenario (becas if hes willing to stay GB is extending him) Rodgers would absolutely make it known he was only willing to "make it work" as you called it with ONE team, say the Broncos

Which would eliminate a bidding war and cause his cost to be less

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Rodgers would surely be smart enough to agree to a trade to only one of those teams to keep his value as low as possible to give his new team the best chance to win SB possible...the packers cant have rodgers on roster at 46 m so he essentially holds all the leverage

Not really. Depending when the trade happens the inheriting team only has to take on like 26.9M very affordable for a team like Denver.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Its not collusion in my opinion because Rodgers just needs to know the list of teams who is interested to then narrow it down to one. The teams dont need to be involved

But yes Im saying that in the Rodgers demands a trade scenario (becas if hes willing to stay GB is extending him) Rodgers would absolutely make it known he was only willing to "make it work" as you called it with ONE team, say the Broncos

Which would eliminate a bidding war and cause his cost to be less
It's possible. But I think before all that happens, the Packers (not Rodgers) are in conversations with teams that are interested in trading for Rodgers. The specifics of the trade, including what said team is willing to give up in a trade are hammered out. After which, the team informs Rodgers of the teams that they are willing to trade him to.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible. But I think before all that happens, the Packers (not Rodgers) are in conversations with teams that are interested in trading for Rodgers. The specifics of the trade, including what said team is willing to give up in a trade are hammered out. After which, the team informs Rodgers of the teams that they are willing to trade him to.

Concur and unlike last year, I think Rodgers has clearly reconciled with Gute and staff a lot - and if it is the end I foresee them working well together to try and do both parties right in the departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts