Wendall Bryant cut

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Former Badger gets the pink slip here in Arizona.

If you were to combine 1st round bust Jamal Reynolds with underachieving Hunt you'd come up with Bryant in my opinion.

He hasn't done much of anything to impress me down here yet. That said, it wouldn't bother me to bring him in on the cheap to see if Bates and being in a better organization could turn him around. I question his desire, but he does have some ability so you never know.

He's not really the run stuffer we need though with grady's questionable status. Bryant is more of a quick guy than a big run stuffer.

I think the odds are against Bryant amounting to anything, but the one reason I would take a chance on him is seeing so many other guys come on after leaving the losing mindset of the Arizona Cardinals.

OP
OP
A

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of ironic that ex-badger Ross Kolodziej outplayed Bryant last year. He was drafted in the 7th round by the Giants before being cut, out of football for awhile, then picked up by the Cardinals.

Tempe, AZ – The Arizona Cardinals today announced that the team has signed defensive tackle Devone Claybrooks and released defensive tackle Wendell Bryant.

The 27-year-old Claybrooks (6-3, 292) entered the league with Green Bay in 2001 as an undrafted rookie free agent out of East Carolina. He has gone onto spend time with the Packers, Buccaneers, Browns, 49ers and Cowboys. He played in eight games a year ago for Dallas and in 2002 earned a ring as a member of the Bucs’ Super Bowl championship team.

Bryant was the team’s first-round selection in the 2002 draft out of Wisconsin. He appeared in 29 games with nine starts in three seasons with the team and recorded 51 tackles and one sack in that time. In 2004, he appeared in just three games and recorded one assisted tackle.

“When you look at the numbers and who we have along the defensive line, we just didn’t see a role for Wendell,” said head coach Dennis Green. “We added Chike Okeafor as a starting end opposite Bertrand Berry and behind them you have a pair of veterans who have been starters, Calvin Pace and Peppi Zellner.
Inside we have Kenny King returning which is a big plus. (King) missed all of last year but is back at full strength and ready to contribute. With King, Russell Davis, Darnell Dockett, and Ross Kolodziej you have a strong veteran presence at tackle as well. Add in prospects like Antonio Smith, who was the defensive player of the year in NFL Europe, and Wendell just did not fit in for us.”

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow! From what I could tell, he was a good guy, hardworker too, but I guess he had some issues w/ drugs, and as you suggest, maybe got a little complacent w/ just making the team rather than trying to excel.

AZ...whatever happened to another former Badger, Tom(?) Burke? I'm pretty sure he was playing DE for the cards not too long ago.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has a bit of a problem with the bottle, based on news over the last several years. Too bad, seems like a decent enough guy.

OP
OP
A

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
wow! From what I could tell, he was a good guy, hardworker too, but I guess he had some issues w/ drugs, and as you suggest, maybe got a little complacent w/ just making the team rather than trying to excel.

AZ...whatever happened to another former Badger, Tom(?) Burke? I'm pretty sure he was playing DE for the cards not too long ago.

He had a tough time down here. They asked him to bulk up when he arrived, and the added weight seemed to take away from his pass rushing ability. He battled through a lot of inuries too during his time here and they finally ended up releasing him a few years ago.

Members online