Welcome to the 1970's-80's...

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To all of you too young to remember the post glory days, the first half of the Titans game is a very clear reminder of what all of us watched ad nauseum.

The Packers could score, but they couldn't stop the nuns from St. Mary's if they ran a flying wedge. They also committed endless stupid penalties, blown coverages galore, bad special teams, everyone hurt all the time. No one seemed to know how to fix it.

Look familiar?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahhh

Theres net... Only to post, I told you.

You finally were right after all these years.. Feels good to beat your chest?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow what a mess. The defense has been awful many times but today marks a new low. This performance reminds of the time Ditka ran the score up on Star in 1980 when the Packers lost by the biggest margin in the past 55 years. I think they got beat 61 to 3. Titans could easily put up 60 today, the defense is that bad. But you know according to MM there's no problem. He's right about that. There's no problem for opposing offenses.

Reaction score
To all of you too young to remember the post glory days, the first half of the Titans game is a very clear reminder of what all of us watched ad nauseum.

The Packers could score, but they couldn't stop the nuns from St. Mary's if they ran a flying wedge. They also committed endless stupid penalties, blown coverages galore, bad special teams, everyone hurt all the time. No one seemed to know how to fix it.

Look familiar?
Whoa...lets start with 2004-2006 first. The 70s and 80s were two decades of mediocrity. A calendar year of sub par play doesn't put us on that level yet

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Look familiar?
I honestly don't give a damn at all about how bad the Packers were in the past.
"Oh, you guys don't know how bad we had it!"
That doesn't matter.
So there is no need to keep on dredging it up anymore of how bad they were when we are living through how bad they are now.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahhh

Theres net... Only to post, I told you.

You finally were right after all these years.. Feels good to beat your chest?
No, actually it doesn't. There's a difference between reverential devotion and honest criticism.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn't matter.
So there is no need to keep on dredging it up anymore of how bad they were when we are living through how bad they are now.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."--George Santayana

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn't matter.

If we ever get back to the SB will we be able to talk about how good they were once or will that be off limits as well.

How bad they were in the past is very relevant because for many old timers, myself included, it is a big part of what fuels our concern for how they are playing now. We lived through it once, we see it potentially happening again and we don't like it. I know if I hadn't been around to experience the gory years ( I really like that by the way, wish I knew who used it first) a downturn now wouldn't be such a big deal. Its just part of the cyclical nature of sports and eventually we will be back on top again. Having lived through that bad time makes us all that much more vested in not seeing it happen again.

Now get off my lawn.;)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Look familiar?

Not really, no disrespect intended.

I vaguely remember the 70's but fully remember the 80's and beyond, the biggest difference between then and now is the quality of players and more importantly, expectations. The Packers really had very few quality players, especially at QB during that dismal period of their team history, so losing was fully expected. The current team, while not filled to the brim with talent, would have to be considered far better in overall talent and was/is fully expected to win every Sunday. While none of us who lived and followed the Packers during that period in time were happy about the losing ways of the Packers, it was fully expected. The current team, has pretty much fallen way short of the expectations that everyone has had for them as of late.

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh boy...where is Forrest Gregg when you need a good kick in the nuts? Yep - Rodgers is ****ey, and sadly, our punter is worse than Dave Beverly. Starks is Terdell Middleton minus a thousand yard season. BLECH!! Thank god the salary cap may save us going forward. If they continue on this stellar play for much longer, the blaze orange 30000 will be sleeping by the 4th quarter at Lambeau.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Schum has actually been one of the only bright spots over the last few games.

Finally, we have found a punter that seems to be doing what he is asked. Sad part is, the punt cover team isn't and has completely messed up on covering a few of his well placed punts. I also doubt anyone is noticing Schum as much, since there are way to many other issues as well as the fact that getting good punts doesn't seem to be that critical in games that aren't that close.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
horsehockey...don't gloat. You have to understand those days, and yes, after the titans debacle it seemed that the ship was starting to sink. With this defense I wouldn't push my chest out too far...long way to go.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I wouldn't wish the 70's and 80's on any generation. Wish I weren't old enough to remember the 70's and 80's. Once I get older, I won't be ABLE to remember the 70's and 80's. With my luck ... I'll remember the Packers circa 1970 to 1991 and won't recognize my wife and son...or how to zip my fly... :unsure:

Go Pack. 2016 NFC North Champs. Truthfully, I didn't think it would happen but held out quiet hope...and we all know that hope IS a plan. :cool:

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Total digression here.

I remember the Dan Devine era when it was exactly the opposite: an awesome defense and we could not score a touchdown to save our lives. In particular, in total contrast to today, the secondary (Ellis, Matthews, Hill, and Buchannon) was one of the best of all time. In those days, we had shut down corners playing safety.

Over the years, it's amazing how many times Packer success has resulted in rule changes. Going back to those Devine days, he led us into the playoffs with a 10-4 record largely because he had Chester Marcol as a kicker. You only had to get to midfield to kick a field goal and that's how the offense was designed. The result: they moved the goal posts back ten yards and the rule changed to move a missed field goal to the spot of the field goal instead of the 20 yard line.

Remember when they restricted the amount of contact the DBs could make? It produced Montana with Rice and Taylor and Marino with Clayton and Duper. When the Packers ended up with Lofton and Jefferson, the rules got changed.

Anybody remember the name of that scrawny Tight End we had that could block field goals? He wore #81. He was a total bust at TE but, was very tall and could time the leap to block the kicks perfectly. The jumping over the line to block a field goal rule was changed.

More recently, at yesterday's Giants game, Joe Packphobia Buck and Troy Aikman were talking about how Packers WRs were so good at blocking downfield on WR screens, the rules got changed.

Yadayadayada. Sour grapes rants can be annoying but, they do feel good every now and then.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomBrown, you're thinking of Gary Lewis. I had to do some research to find his name but yeah, I do remember in the early 80s he blocked an insane number of field goals and extra points. I remember going to the Vikings game as a kid in 83 or 84, the game went into overtime and the Vikings were set to kick the game winning field goal and everyone in Lambeu was chanting his name hoping he'd block it but alas, he didn't and the Vikings won the game.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomBrown, you're thinking of Gary Lewis. I had to do some research to find his name but yeah, I do remember in the early 80s he blocked an insane number of field goals and extra points. I remember going to the Vikings game as a kid in 83 or 84, the game went into overtime and the Vikings were set to kick the game winning field goal and everyone in Lambeu was chanting his name hoping he'd block it but alas, he didn't and the Vikings won the game.
Funny what you remember.... but I didn't have to do any research.... I instantly remembered Gary Lewis lol.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't wish the 70's and 80's on any generation. Wish I weren't old enough to remember the 70's and 80's. Once I get older, I won't be ABLE to remember the 70's and 80's. With my luck ... I'll remember the Packers circa 1970 to 1991 and won't recognize my wife and son...or how to zip my fly... :unsure:

Go Pack. 2016 NFC North Champs. Truthfully, I didn't think it would happen but held out quiet hope...and we all know that hope IS a plan. :cool:

I hope you at least remember how to zip your fly... that sort of thing can get you in big trouble.

Members online

Latest posts