Week 8: Packers at Rams

JRobinson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Rams pass defense is a bit above average ranking 11th in opposing passer rating allowed, which is definitely a better metric to evaluate a unit than total yards.

Agreed.

But they are essentially stating the same case as both go hand in hand. Being ranked 9th currently in yards allowed through the air corresponds with being ‘above avg.’ in ‘opposing passer rating allowed’.

Good observation bud.

JRobinson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt. You have a talented defense overall. Not sold on your secondary. Lamarcus Joyner may play like Bob Sanders, but he's not Bob Sanders. Joyner will get muscled by our receivers. John Johnson gonna have to worry about Jimmy Graham. Our receivers go 5-6 deep, excluding Graham. All, if not, most will be active game day. Our running backs are receiving threats. Where you have a distinct advantage, and quietly the foundation of your entire team, is your line play on both sides of the ball. Your defensive line can be historically great if kept together. Packers' O-line has their hands full. Your offensive line is smart, physical, and have great chemistry. Not many answers for that. However, Green Bay has to control the clock, keep the Rams offense off the field, and limit the offense from developing a rhythm.

Not many guys ever have the talent Sanders had. But many weren’t nearly as injured as him either as you say. I don’t agree that Joyner gets ‘out muscled’ by receivers because he’s actually very good at man coverage as well as deflecting passes. He was a top 5 safety last year and it showed in all areas. You are right though, putting him on Jimmy would be the wrong move. But receivers? Nah.

He’s still putting it together this season it seems.

Completely agree with your assessment of the foundation of our squad. I believe in that more than anything on the field.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Heard something this morning before leaving for work on First Things First. Nick Wright, whose opinion I actually value quite a bit, said that the Rams are #1 in the league in fewest 3 and outs on offense this season. Which wasn't surprising.

The surprising part for me, was that he said the Packers are 3rd in the NFL in MOST 3 and outs generated on defense.

Not that it will have much of a barring on this game, but interesting nevertheless.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm interested to see how McCarthy handles the receivers with everyone healthy. MVS and EQ flashed some big play ability-- do they still get snaps?

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm interested to see how McCarthy handles the receivers with everyone healthy. MVS and EQ flashed some big play ability-- do they still get snaps?
I'd like to see us try to spread the Rams out with some 4 or 5 wide, at least in spurts. Eliminate some of the bodies being thrown at Rodgers. Find some matchups that we like in their secondary.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You know McCarthy. He'll probably keep the hottest hands on the bench.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
:roflmao:

Easy to respond like that. Care to elaborate on why you clearly disagree? He's not on the level of the Bayless' and the Cowherds of the world, saying things for shock value. He always has numbers and insight to back his opinions up.

He doesn't bat a thousand, but no one does.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:roflmao:

Easy to respond like that. Care to elaborate on why you clearly disagree? He's not on the level of the Bayless' and the Cowherds of the world, saying things for shock value. He always has numbers and insight to back his opinions up.

He doesn't bat a thousand, but no one does.

He has a lot of respect for Godgers which I admire :sneaky:, but he is just so hilariously wrong about so many things. He's a talking head so I know he's just doing his job, but he's pretty much a schmuck in my eyes.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

He has a lot of respect for Godgers which I admire :sneaky:, but he is just so hilariously wrong about so many things. He's a talking head so I know he's just doing his job, but he's pretty much a schmuck in my eyes.
lmao. All of these guys have some biases. He started the video by saying he doesn't like the Golden State Warriors. And we all know he's a Lebron fanatic.

Outside of that, he has some minor biases (his Kansas City Chiefs for example), but for the most part I've always viewed him as level minded and fair. We can agree to disagree though.

He's much more bearable than many talking heads.

H

HardRightEdge

Assuming Cobb and Allison are healthy, or as close to healthy as anybody can be at this stage of the season, the answer would be "not much". If Cobb or Allison (both listed with hamstrings and limited practice participation on Thursday) see less than a full complement of snaps, then more than "not much". But let's go with your assumption that "everyone is healthy".

MVS is clearly the #4, so he'll be on the game day roster. However, in weeks 1-3 when all 3 starters were playing, MVS had a total of 20 offensive snaps. Somebody here quoted Rodgers as saying controlling the ball will be an emphaisis. I've not vetted that, but if that's the case and not a red herring, that argues for fewer MVS snaps. If MVS is going to steal from snaps from a healthy WR the obvious choice would be Allison. However, Allison is the superior possession receiver for a ball control approach.

St. Brown had no offensive snaps in weeks 1-4; he was inactive for weeks 2 and 3. His only snaps in weeks 1-4 were 2 snaps on special teams in week 1. St. Brown has an issue in that the Packers have not found a spot for him on special teams after that brief experiment. When you get down to the 46 man game day roster, a #5 wide receiver just sitting on the bench as a two-injury contingency is a dubious luxury. If we see St. Brown on the game day roster it would be a fair assumption that the starters snap counts are questionable. Carrying that 5th. WR is expecially problematic given that Graham is a defacto slot receiver in 4-wide.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lmao. All of these guys have some biases. He started the video by saying he doesn't like the Golden State Warriors. And we all know he's a Lebron fanatic.

Outside of that, he has some minor biases (his Kansas City Chiefs for example), but for the most part I've always viewed him as level minded and fair. We can agree to disagree though.

He's much more bearable than many talking heads.

Listen to him on Sirius. Other then his take on Lebron being EASILY better than Jordan, I'm usually on board with him.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard something this morning before leaving for work on First Things First. Nick Wright, whose opinion I actually value quite a bit, said that the Rams are #1 in the league in fewest 3 and outs on offense this season. Which wasn't surprising.

The surprising part for me, was that he said the Packers are 3rd in the NFL in MOST 3 and outs generated on defense.

Not that it will have much of a barring on this game, but interesting nevertheless.

It is surprising. Then, the shock wears off and you think about it, this defense has a lot of potential. Half the season is over and already the defense has outperformed the past 2-3 defenses under Capers. Take away the Minnesota tie and Crosby's meltdown in D-town, the only legitimate loss was against the Redskins. Pettine is working his magic. Makes one wonder why did McCarthy take so long to pull the trigger?

Ramsfan128

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I made an account here a few years ago and I was actually able to remember my login.

This game is hard to figure for Rams fans. If the same Packers teams that showed up for Washington and Detroit show up out in LA, I would expect a blowout.

But then when I think about the actual match up, I see the Packers scoring a lot of points. Especially coming off a bye. And from that perspective this game may look closer to the games the Rams had against the Chargers and Vikings - where the outcomes were never really in doubt and the Rams held a double digit lead in the fourth quarter, but they kept fighting.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is surprising. Then, the shock wears off and you think about it, this defense has a lot of potential. Half the season is over and already the defense has outperformed the past 2-3 defenses under Capers. Take away the Minnesota tie and Crosby's meltdown in D-town, the only legitimate loss was against the Redskins. Pettine is working his magic. Makes one wonder why did McCarthy take so long to pull the trigger?

One could also say their only legitimate win was against the Bills.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I made an account here a few years ago and I was actually able to remember my login.

This game is hard to figure for Rams fans. If the same Packers teams that showed up for Washington and Detroit show up out in LA, I would expect a blowout.

But then when I think about the actual match up, I see the Packers scoring a lot of points. Especially coming off a bye. And from that perspective this game may look closer to the games the Rams had against the Chargers and Vikings - where the outcomes were never really in doubt and the Rams held a double digit lead in the fourth quarter, but they kept fighting.

Is it really so hard to figure though? People keep saying "if they play like ???" but that is obvious. If a team plays like **** they will probably get beat. You are probably trying to be diplomatic here and I appreciate that but looking at the way both teams have performed as a whole so far this season are you really expecting it to be that difficult of a game for the Rams? It may very well turn out to be but I would think it would be similar to the way Packers fans looked at the 49ers game. It should have been a relatively easy win. It didn't turn out to be but it probably should have been. I think its the same way for the Packers/Rams. It probably should be a relatively easy game for the Rams given the Packers defense and the Rams offense but I think Aaron Rodgers gives the Packers a better chance against the Rams than the 49ers had against the Packers.

All in all I don't think it is that difficult to predict the Rams will win. It may not be easy but its a game you look at and say they should win.

That said I do think the Packers have a chance and it is better than the "any given Sunday" chance that all teams have.

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah. Cleveland's offense bored me to tears. While drive and shoot or kick out for the 3 with the occasional fast break is the boring status quo in the NBA, James took that to the extreme in Cleveland. At least GS works the ball around some. The game has become so pat that the commentators spend half their time talking about whether a foul should or should not have been called.

Same for MBL which I can hardly watch anymore. Strikeouts, walks and HRs so dominate the game as to make that equally boring. The once multi-dimensional nature of these games have been stripped down a few essentials.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Same for MBL which I can hardly watch anymore. Strikeouts, walks and HRs so dominate the game as to make that equally boring. The once multi-dimensional nature of these games have been stripped down a few essentials.

You obviously didn't watch the Brewer-Dodger series? I was a big baseball fan in the 90's but gave it up due to salaries skyrocketing and no cap. Call me a Bandwagon Brewer fan, because I jumped on it early August and remembered why I enjoyed the game so much. The Brewer Manager, Craig Council is like a master Chess player with limited pieces. Some of the moves he made during that Dodger series were just plain fun to watch. A lot of strikeouts for both teams due to excellent pitching, but not a lot of homeruns, just solid, well managed, fun to watch baseball.

Ramsfan128

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it really so hard to figure though? People keep saying "if they play like ???" but that is obvious. If a team plays like **** they will probably get beat. You are probably trying to be diplomatic here and I appreciate that but looking at the way both teams have performed as a whole so far this season are you really expecting it to be that difficult of a game for the Rams? It may very well turn out to be but I would think it would be similar to the way Packers fans looked at the 49ers game. It should have been a relatively easy win. It didn't turn out to be but it probably should have been. I think its the same way for the Packers/Rams. It probably should be a relatively easy game for the Rams given the Packers defense and the Rams offense but I think Aaron Rodgers gives the Packers a better chance against the Rams than the 49ers had against the Packers.

All in all I don't think it is that difficult to predict the Rams will win. It may not be easy but its a game you look at and say they should win.

That said I do think the Packers have a chance and it is better than the "any given Sunday" chance that all teams have.

Anytime you have the best QB in the NFL on your team you definitely have a chance. That's what makes this game hard to figure for me. On top of that I suspect Rams fans will be outnumbered Sunday. I'm not going to lie - it's been so long since we've beaten the Packers....2006 I think....that I want this game. I want to blow the Packers out. We've never even come close to beating Rodgers.

And at first I was pretty cocky, thinking it would be a blowout - but the more I think about it, the more I think it'll be a relatively close game.

Members online