Week 5: Packers @ Lions

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
I think MM should consider using Montgomery and Jones in 2-back sets from the gun, and use Graham plus 3 wide more often. To me that situation gives Rodgers a lot of screen or play action options that can be used to work the ball downfield more. Have Adams and G-Mo split wide and Valdez-Scantling in the slot opposite Graham.

You aren't alone in wanting such things. I would love to see Rid**** and Johnson line up together behind Stafford with Tate in the slot and Jones Jr. and Golladay on opposite ends. I can't imagine defenses would enjoy covering such a formation.

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm most intrigued to see how our young secondary (and Tramon hehe) match up with the Lions 3 WRs. They have a TON of talent in those 3 dudes, and I think they will be hard to cover all day, especially if we can't get a pass rush going.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers injury report for Sunday's game at Detroit. Allison is now listed with a hamstring injury as well.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

I think MM should consider using Montgomery and Jones in 2-back sets from the gun, and use Graham plus 3 wide more often. To me that situation gives Rodgers a lot of screen or play action options that can be used to work the ball downfield more. Have Adams and G-Mo split wide and Valdez-Scantling in the slot opposite Graham.

That would be a terrible idea as the Packers would be called for too many men on the field ;)

I love Pettine. I think he’s made a big positive impact. And the shut out was very impressive. All that said, the Bills at home is a far cry from the Lions on the road.

That's definitely true but the Packers improved defense might be able to contain the Lions offense enough to win this game.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This game is a bargain as a "Pick Em". I believe our young and talented secondary will pick Stafford off at least two times which will be enough to get the "W".

GPG!

H

HardRightEdge

The WR injury situation is certainly a wild card. A worst case scenario with the top 3 out, or Cobb/Allison out with Adams limping around creates obvious challenges. Under those scenarios, using some combination of more TEs, more RB throws or Montgomery out of the slot along with a collection of rookies with no demonstrated money game production or QB chemistry (MVS's 2 catches on 4 targets is the extent) curtails the downfield threat.

Detroit may be inclined to bring the safeties up under one of those scenarios with a heighted emphasis on defending the run, a Detroit weakness that may not then be so exploitable. Such an approach would also crowd the short-ti-intermidate passing lanes which might help their equally dismal pass defense to date based on QB-rating-against.

Under the injury scenarios, it would certainly be a test of game planing :eek: and in-game adjustments even if Detoit "dares to play" single high safety :whistling:.

Regardless, this will be a good test of the Packer pass defense. Consider the passer-ratings-against in each of the first 4 weeks:

Trubisky: 77.2
Cousins: 118.8
Smith: 110.4
Allen: 36.3

There's a level of QB competition picture there. Is the secondary (and pass rush) finding it's footing at the time when identity emerges or was Allen a fluke in the schedule?

The noticable dent in Stafford's passer 92.5 passer rating is the 5 INTs. However, 4 came on opening day. Stafford's only been sacked 6 times so far, a very good number especially considering Stafford is not exactly mobile.

The weight of factors indicates a tough game on the road. Or to paraphrase BTO, any winning is good winning, you take what you can get, regardless of after-the-fact game plan or execution satisfaction.

Last edited by a moderator:

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones & Co could make all of the concerns irrelevant if the running game rolls. I’m just not that confident that they’ll commit.

I missed the last 2 games, so I'm not sure what Aaron was so upset about...I think it was dropped balls. That rhythm is hard to get when you're QB is injured.

But I agree w/Dantes. It feels like they don't commit to running the ball. So far I haven't seen too many changes to the offense. I guess that's kinda hard as well when your QB is stuck in the pocket. If Aaron is truelly feeling better then the nuances will come in time.

I just want to see a hard fought battle and see the defense take no prisoners.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Allison, Cobb, Alexander inactive.

Will be interesting to see how much attention Adams gets today.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers inactives:

QB Tim Boyle
WR Randall Cobb
CB Jaire Alexander
CB Bashaud Breeland
S Jermaine Whitehead
OL Alex Light
WR Geronimo Allison

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For today's Game:

Jaire Alexander CB Inactive
Geronimo Allison WR Inactive
Tim Boyle QB Inactive
Bashaud Breeland DB Inactive
Randall Cobb WR Inactive
Alex Light OG Inactive
Jermaine Whitehead DB Inactive
Davante Adams WR Active

Going to be seeing what those rookie WR's can do!

Ezekiel Ansah DE Inactive
Andrew Donnal OT Inactive
Eli Harold LB Inactive
T.J. Lang OG Inactive
Brandon Powell WR Inactive
Michael Roberts TE Inactive
Tavon Wilson DB Inactive

At least Ezekiel Ansah is inactive for the Lions! :tup:

Last edited:

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Alexander one hurts He's been solid, I think he's better than King. Hopefully this defense doesn't get lit up If they can get pressure up front like last week, it should make it much smoother. Now let's hope they actually use A Jones like the #1 back he is

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Alexander bothers me a lot more than the receivers. He would be instrumental in handling Tate. If the Packers can pull this off on the road, I’ll be impressed.

H

HardRightEdge

The Alexander one hurts He's been solid, I think he's better than King. Hopefully this defense doesn't get lit up If they can get pressure up front like last week, it should make it much smoother. Now let's hope they actually use A Jones like the #1 back he is
I agree that Alexander has played better than King to date. King has struggled in zone coverage. King is back ative. If those shoulders are healthy enough to play press, and he's given man coverage assignments I think he'll do alright. Breeland has been in the program for 2 weeks and is active so we may see him getting some snaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Alexander has played better than King to date. King has struggled in zone coverage. King is back ative. If he's reasonably healthy, can play press, and he's given man coverage assignments I think he'll do alright. Breeland has been in the program for 2 weeks and is active so we may see him getting some snaps.
Breeland is inactive

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree that Alexander has played better than King to date. King has struggled in zone coverage. King is back ative. If he's reasonably healthy, can play press, and he's given man coverage assignments I think he'll do alright. Breeland has been in the program for 2 weeks and is active so we may see him getting some snaps.

Breeland is listed as inactive from what I have seen. At first I thought maybe they were getting him up to speed and in playing condition, but now I have to wonder if his foot still isn't healed fully.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stoked to see what the rookie wrs can do. Damn just when we get king back, Alexander is out. I wanna see how the defender plays with them both.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does Lovat still have a job? The hamstrings and groins just keep adding up week after week and year after year.