Week 5: Packers @ Lions

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Detroit ranks 2nd in passing yards allowed per game, yet ranks a dead last 32nd in rushing yards allowed.

I could see the Packers really trying to establish the run early on, and working off of that to open up opportunities in the play action game. Aaron Jones has had some time to get re-acclimated, so I think he could be in for a breakout performance.

31-20 Packers win it

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Detroit ranks 2nd in passing yards allowed per game, yet ranks a dead last 32nd in rushing yards allowed.

I could see the Packers really trying to establish the run early on, and working off of that to open up opportunities in the play action game. Aaron Jones has had some time to get re-acclimated, so I think he could be in for a breakout performance.

31-20 Packers win it
Numbers can get skewed. This doesn't necessarilly mean they have a great pass defense. It may mean it is so easy to run the ball, teams dont need to pass much. I haven't watched any Lions games, but I would be surprised if their pass defense was the 2nd best in the NFL.

Also, games played were against Jets, 49ers, Pat's, and cowboys. Only Pats are a good passing team. Jets have a rookie qb, cowboys are a mess, and 49ers had Garoppolo, but few WRs.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions win 24-21.

I can see McCarthy doing his usual bull crap and trying to have the same amount of passing and rushing attempts. He will try to give all three rbs the same amount of touches...instead of letting Jones And Williams carry the load and letting Montgomery play in the slot where he can probably be more effective so Rodgers isn’t depending on possibly two rookies if neither Cobb or Allison can go smh.

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion total yards isn't a great metric to measure success defending the pass. That's especially true for the Lions this season as opponents have only attempted 100 passes against them, which is the lowest number in the league. They have found success doing so as the Lions only rank 27th in opponents passer rating though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the game will go, but I know win or lose, Rodell will be here to tell everything that was wrong :)

I think Jackson gets a couple INT's. I'd say Alexander, but I think teams are seeing what he's doing and they're going to try and avoid him

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I expect a typically tough inter-divisional road game. Packers 30-24.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
Only Pats are a good passing team. Jets have a rookie qb, cowboys are a mess, and 49ers had Garoppolo, but few WRs.

Brady - 14/26, 133 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT
Darnold - 16/21, 198 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT
Garoppolo - 18/26, 206 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT
Prescott - 17/27, 255 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT

In other words, no one has any idea what to expect from, this team. Looking solely at the above, seems the better you are, the better the Lions play you. Or as alluded to before, if you can run, you don't need to pass because my 4 year old nephew would avg 6.3 YPC against the Lions....

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like Det always hangs a ton of yards on us and we always have to rely on a late turnover from Stafford to put it away. Curious how the defense will play coming off of the shutout.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ya, Let's hope McCarthy and Rodgers kiss and make up dam soon, cuz all this drama is getting in the way on the way to the division play-off's.

It seems they're doing fine. Here's what Rodgers had to say about his relationship with McCarthy today:

"Mike and I talk all the time. We have a great relationship. There’s always been great communication between us. Even if there is things that we need to talk about that are tough subjects, we’ve never had a problem finding time and talking. That’s the way it’s been for 10-plus years. "Communication is the basis for a good relationship, wouldn’t you say? I think it is. For any relationship, it starts with good communication and being able to be honest with each other and then hug it out afterwards."

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They’re both pros, iron sharpens iron. They’ve worked closely together for a long time. 12 years? They’re bound to **** each other off once and a while and both smart and mature enough to not let those moments be anything more than that moment.

Reaction score
Seems like Det always hangs a ton of yards on us and we always have to rely on a late turnover from Stafford to put it away..

I always like Mat Stafford.
He's gutsy and likes to play
It's just he's playing for the wrong team like Favre was his last year in GB after going to the Jets, landed in Minnesota and lite up the score board.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady - 14/26, 133 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT
Darnold - 16/21, 198 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT
Garoppolo - 18/26, 206 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT
Prescott - 17/27, 255 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT

In other words, no one has any idea what to expect from, this team. Looking solely at the above, seems the better you are, the better the Lions play you. Or as alluded to before, if you can run, you don't need to pass because my 4 year old nephew would avg 6.3 YPC against the Lions....
Can you please forward your nephew's agent's contact info to:
Gutekunst c/o GBP
1265 Lombrdi Ave
Green Bay WI 54109

Thanks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What the heck did Cobb do to himself? If none of these guys can practice with each other, I’m not expecting a finely tuned machine anytime soon

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Numbers can get skewed. This doesn't necessarilly mean they have a great pass defense. It may mean it is so easy to run the ball, teams dont need to pass much. I haven't watched any Lions games, but I would be surprised if their pass defense was the 2nd best in the NFL.

Also, games played were against Jets, 49ers, Pat's, and cowboys. Only Pats are a good passing team. Jets have a rookie qb, cowboys are a mess, and 49ers had Garoppolo, but few WRs.

I'd say that's a great indication the Packers should hand the ball to Jones a LOT. If the Lions are dead last against the run and they've faced a bunch of teams that aren't passing threats, then their run defense must be really bad. I mean, dead last against the run and the only decent rushing attack they've played against was the Cowboys? Here's to hoping the Packers decide to move away from the committee approach at RB (or just give Jones 20 carries and Williams 10).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
On the season, Matthew Stafford is 112/165 for 1202 yards, 68% completion, 7.3 YPA, 8 TD, and 5 INT.

Those numbers obviously reflect that disastrous week one performance. Obviously it happened and it counts, but it doesn't reflect how he's been playing since. In the past three (@SF, NE, @DAL), he's 85/119 for 916 yards, 71% completion, 7.7 YPA, 7 TD, and 1 INT. For perspective (since we're often used to full season stats) that's a full season pace of: 4885 yards, 37 TD, 5 INT.

In other words, the passing attack has been very dangerous. And that stands to reason-- they have three very good wide receivers who can take turns hurting a defense.

The running game has also woken up after years of slumber, due mainly to rookie Kerryon Johnson. On the season, they are 86/392/4.6 as a team on the ground. But that once again factors a disastrous week one game and isn't a good picture of what they're doing coming into this game. Since week two, they're sitting at 5.0 yards per carry. This is primarily due to Johnson's 5.7 YPC. So while they often choose to pass far more than they run, they appear to be totally capable of balance.

As has been mentioned, their major weakness is run defense. They've already allowed four different players to average 5 or more YPC on 10+ carries in a game (Crowell, 10/102; Powell, 12/60; Breida, 11/138; Elliott, 25/152). They've also really struggled with running backs catching passes out of the backfield.

Their pass defense is statistically strong. Surprisingly, they're 4th in the league in sacks at 13 (tied with the Packers, in fact). Some relative unknowns are making big contributions: Eli Harold (3), Devon Kennard (4).

Their secondary is solid as far as I know. Slay is an excellent corner, and Quinn and Diggs are both solid starters.

My guess is that the skewed defensive statistics are a combination of a weak run defense and some legitimate talent when it comes to pass defense.

The Lions are going to get theirs in terms of yards. The winning formula will be strong RZ defense that forces field goals. On offense, I hope to see Jones early and often.

24-23 Packers

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems they're doing fine. Here's what Rodgers had to say about his relationship with McCarthy today:

"Mike and I talk all the time. We have a great relationship. There’s always been great communication between us. Even if there is things that we need to talk about that are tough subjects, we’ve never had a problem finding time and talking. That’s the way it’s been for 10-plus years. "Communication is the basis for a good relationship, wouldn’t you say? I think it is. For any relationship, it starts with good communication and being able to be honest with each other and then hug it out afterwards."

Well, yeah. Once the guys have some time to cool off I don't know that you'd expect any starting QB to call out the coach. I'm not saying they're NOT fine, just that I think you get more honesty directly after a game rather than midweek.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game is going to be a nice test to see if this defense is making strides or if last week was a huge fluke. We should have both king and breeland available according to reports. Hopefully Allison and Cobb can be full go. I feel like a vengeance Rodgers game is incoming. Also jones should be able to run all over these guys. 38-20 packers

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say that's a great indication the Packers should hand the ball to Jones a LOT. If the Lions are dead last against the run and they've faced a bunch of teams that aren't passing threats, then their run defense must be really bad. I mean, dead last against the run and the only decent rushing attack they've played against was the Cowboys? Here's to hoping the Packers decide to move away from the committee approach at RB (or just give Jones 20 carries and Williams 10).
See, I'm all for getting the ball to Jones more, but I still want a committee. Jones gets to hurt so why expose him to a lot of carries in a game we should win? I like Jamaal, he is a nice compliment and can take a pounding. There are plays and situations that he is better suited too. Montgommery should only be used on delays, sweeps, screens and passes. No more between the tackles.

H

HardRightEdge

Detroit's pass yards against stats are highly skewed by limited passing attempts.

While Detroit is 2nd. in fewest yards surrendered passing, opponents have thrown against them only 100 times, fewest in the league. Their passer rating against is 104.3, ranked 27th.

Conversely, Detroit's defense has faced more running plays than any other team except Miami and Arizona. However, that doesn't fully account for all the yards surrendered. Their rushing average against is 5.3, 30th. in the league.

To recap, 104.3 passer rating against, 5.3 rushing average against. I guess they've been playing against Rodgers with Jim Brown in the backfield the first 4 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya, Let's hope McCarthy and Rodgers kiss and make up dam soon, cuz all this drama is getting in the way on the way to the division play-off's.

Its the media and the fans who keep bringing it up who are turning it into drama. The Packers will have 500 yards and 45 points against the Lions and all of a sudden everything is hunky dory again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts