Week 5: Packers @ Lions

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with you. I would not be surprised if we lost this game. The lions are a tough matchup for us at their place even if we were healthy.
Matt Patricia has yet to settle in as a head coach. He whooped the Patriots, but maybe that is because he coached in NE for 14 years and knew Brady and the offense extremely well. (Another example of coaching more important than talent). Other than that game the Lions have not looked very good. The Lions are looking at a top 5 draft pick IMHO. The defense may start clicking at some point, but for now they are very beatable.

Could we lose? Any given Sunday. We tied the Vikes. We killed the Bills. The Bills killed the Vikes. It's a crapshoot. But we are going in with the deck stacked in our favor.

D

Deleted member 6794

I saw that after I posted. It’s notable.

However, I am still surprised at how often they’ve gotten to the QB, especially with Ansah only accounting for one sack (especially high number given the relative low amount of pass attempts against them).

While the Lions total number of sacks looks impressive their pass rush has struggled overall with only 42 pressure. The Packers have 74 so far this season.

IMaybe this game is the blowout most suspect (though I'm not sure the Lions offense is an inept as the Bills) but if it's not then I think the best RB probably needs to be on the field more than one third of the game.

I haven't seen a lot of posters expecting the Packers to win in a blowout.

We have a pretty good fallback with 3 Veteran TEs with over 1,150 combined career receptions. That’s not something many teams can boast.

Unfortunately Kendricks has struggled in the passing game and Lewis hasn't been targeted so far.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen a lot of posters expecting the Packers to win in a blowout.

I think a lot of people expect it to be close, even within the 3 point margin if we pull it out. Unless of course Stafford just completely whiffs it like he did against the Jets, but I don't see that happening.

Right now we gotta figure out how to get more complete games out of our offense, most of which revolves around just not dropping balls and not committing dumb holding penalties.

The way I see it, Rodgers will probably not make all the throws we normally see out of him, and he might make some uncharacteristic mistakes. I can live with that though if our WRs and Graham pick up their game. To me that's what it's gonna take for this offense to get on track is our playmakers breaking tackles after catching it and letting Rodgers know he won't have to do it all.

On the defensive side of the ball, can the much maligned Fackrell continue his good play?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Graham and Adams will be available, but there’s been such little work with these guys together it’s hard to imagine the passing game just roaring to life anytime soon.

I would like to see MVS worked in the game plan more. I know he doesn't yet have the route running experience or the chemistry yet with Rodgers, but his potential is very high and needs to be taken advantage of.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm with you. I would not be surprised if we lost this game. The lions are a tough matchup for us at their place even if we were healthy.

Aaron Jones & Co could make all of the concerns irrelevant if the running game rolls. I’m just not that confident that they’ll commit.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fackrell has improved over the past two games but he hasn't performed at an elite level while his three sacks last week might indicate that.

Didn't say he was. I'll take play that's just at a good enough level as at least that's better than a stinking Davon House level. I mean, I never considered Jarrett Bush to be a good player, and hell I ripped him a lot for his poor play. But I gotta tip my cap to him for stepping up big in Superbowl XLV.

D

Deleted member 6794

Didn't say he was. I'll take play that's just at a good enough level as at least that's better than a stinking Davon House level.

I know you didn't suggest Fackrell was performing at an elite level vs. the Bills, just wanted to put it out there in case someone believes it. I would be fine with him continuing to play like he has over the past two weeks though.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I can’t shake a bad feeling about this game. It’s hard for me to envision the Packers defense holding Detroit under 20 in their building. They have too much talent at receiver.

Normally that wouldn’t bother me at all, but Rodgers is still getting back from the knee, the passing game is sputtering a bit, and Adams, Cobb, and Allison could all be out.

I think those that have argued that DET’s passing defense is smoke and mirrors have made some great points. But I still like their chances at home if a less than 100% Rodgers is throwing to three rookies.

I hope they can commit to running the ball. It’s the best way to attack Detroit, and will likely help our defense as well.
Some really good points.

Detroit is a tough matchup, despite their 1-3 record.

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
The real question for this game, "who gets a roughing the passer penalty first, Green Bay or Detroit?" Because you know there will be at least 1 thrown in this game. I'm guessing we will see 3 total.

OP
OP
C-Lee

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game, along with the Niners matchup the following week, are must wins.

We have both the Rams and Pats on the ROAD after the bye. I think we can take the Pats but I'm chalking that Rams game up as a loss.

Need to take care of business this Sunday.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The real question for this game, "who gets a roughing the passer penalty first, Green Bay or Detroit?" Because you know there will be at least 1 thrown in this game. I'm guessing we will see 3 total.

My guess is 0. After publically defending all the calls, the NFL signaled that they didn’t take it that seriously (Matthews didn’t get fined for either the MIN one or the WAS one) and now I think they’re de-emphasizing it behind the scenes with officials. Pure speculation on my part, but that’s what I think.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This game, along with the Niners matchup the following week, are must wins.

We have both the Rams and Pats on the ROAD after the bye. I think we can take the Pats but I'm chalking that Rams game up as a loss.

Need to take care of business this Sunday.

I can’t buy that a week 5 game when we’re 2-1-1 is a must win. I realize it makes the road harder, but it’s a long season.

OP
OP
C-Lee

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can’t buy that a week 5 game when we’re 2-1-1 is a must win. I realize it makes the road harder, but it’s a long season.
Touche, but if we drop one of these, I guarantee that'll be a game that we look back and say "wow".

In other news, the Viks might be 1-3-1 by Monday :sneaky:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MM should consider using Montgomery and Jones in 2-back sets from the gun, and use Graham plus 3 wide more often. To me that situation gives Rodgers a lot of screen or play action options that can be used to work the ball downfield more. Have Adams and G-Mo split wide and Valdez-Scantling in the slot opposite Graham.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't consider that to be true as the defense is coming of their first shutout in eight years and Rodgers is pissed off.

Well I hope you’re right Captain.

This is the least predictable league in pro sports, so it would be fitting if Rodgers dropped 300 and 4 on them after my hand wringing.

I love Pettine. I think he’s made a big positive impact. And the shut out was very impressive. All that said, the Bills at home is a far cry from the Lions on the road.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Its a divisional game and the Lions can put up lots of points. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost but I wouldn't be surprised if we won handily either. Heck after what I've seen through the first 4 weeks I won't be surprised at anything that happens in the NFL. OK, maybe if someone signs Colin Kaepernick or Brett Hundley pulls a Nick Foles and leads the Seahawks to a SB win I'd be surprised but other than that it open season.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts