Week 4: Buffalo at Green Bay - Time to bounce back

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm no expert on the Bills' roster, but I know enough to know they have some players on defense. Kyle Williams and Jerry Hughes are aging, but they're still capable. It looks like their buy low bid on Trent Murphy is working out. Tremaine Edmunds had a breakout against Minnesota. Their secondary is super thin, but White, Hyde, and Poyer are a good starting trio.

They will make the Pack earn it. They had better be ready to protect Rodgers, even if that means more Williams and/or Lewis.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a perfect example of why nobody takes you ridiculous MM bashers seriously. You guys have no concept of week to week ups and downs.

Yeah, that's it. It has nothing to do with the fact that I can't recall the last time a MM offense lead someone to say, "Wow, that was an original play call, look how he schemed a linebacker onto Davante Adams". More often it's, "Look how Rodgers fit that ball into the tight window". MM, the guy that won a Super Bowl on the back of a great defense and then wasted the rest of Rodgers' career. I'm very confident which side of this discussion history will judge to be the correct side.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm no expert on the Bills' roster, but I know enough to know they have some players on defense. Kyle Williams and Jerry Hughes are aging, but they're still capable. It looks like their buy low bid on Trent Murphy is working out. Tremaine Edmunds had a breakout against Minnesota. Their secondary is super thin, but White, Hyde, and Poyer are a good starting trio.

They will make the Pack earn it. They had better be ready to protect Rodgers, even if that means more Williams and/or Lewis.

They have ONE guy on offense who is good, a 31 year old running back. There is a reason the Packers are 10 point favorites in this game.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They have ONE guy on offense who is good, a 31 year old running back. There is a reason the Packers are 10 point favorites in this game.

Oh, I don't disagree. Their personnel on offense is dreadful. But their defense will make you earn it. Since McDermott took over the defensive play calling at half time of week two, they've allowed a total of 9 points to the Chargers and Vikings.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I don't disagree. Their personnel on offense is dreadful. But their defense will make you earn it. Since McDermott took over the defensive play calling at half time of week two, they've allowed a total of 9 points to the Chargers and Vikings.

Yeah, but no matter how good the defense (unless we're talking '03 Bucs or '01 Ravens), a rookie QB with no talent at wide receiver and a bad oline should leave the defense on the field too much to be that effective. Especially if the Packers offense comes up with a good gameplan to move the ball. Most of that Vikings score was the Vikings turning the ball over at a rate that I just can't see the Packers reaching. I mean, I can't see Rodgers making some of the bone-headed mistakes that Cousins made in that game.

The Bills are better than the Cardinals, but if people really want to believe the Packers have a chance at winning the NFC North, then fans need to expect to dominate the 31st worst team in the NFL at home.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah, but no matter how good the defense (unless we're talking '03 Bucs or '01 Ravens), a rookie QB with no talent at wide receiver and a bad oline should leave the defense on the field too much to be that effective. Especially if the Packers offense comes up with a good gameplan to move the ball. Most of that Vikings score was the Vikings turning the ball over at a rate that I just can't see the Packers reaching. I mean, I can't see Rodgers making some of the bone-headed mistakes that Cousins made in that game.

The Bills are better than the Cardinals, but if people really want to believe the Packers have a chance at winning the NFC North, then fans need to expect to dominate the 31st worst team in the NFL at home.

Given that Rodgers is limping around, I'd settle for something less then domination while still believing they can win the North as Rodgers gets back.

H

HardRightEdge

Given that Rodgers is limping around, I'd settle for something less then domination while still believing they can win the North as Rodgers gets back.
I think you have to operate under the assumption that Rodgers will be impaired for the duration. Healing requires rest, and that's something he doesn't get while practicing, however limited, and being on the field every week.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. It will be great to see Rodgers as his knee continues to improve, especially after the bye week.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the Vegas O/U for Matthews roughing the passer penalties this week?

My guess - And that's all that it is - is that the NFL will start dialing it down a bit with the quarterback roughing penalties. They're not going to call a press conference and announce anything - that would be admitting they made a mistake, and that's not going to happen. What's more likely do is quietly swallow the flags that have been flying with such frequency every time a QB gets touched. They've gotten more blowback than they expected, and although they appear to be doubling down, I believe behind closed doors they're being forced to rethink this.

Or maybe they'll just foolishly dig in their heels.....Time will tell.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think you have to operate under the assumption that Rodgers will be impaired for the duration. Healing requires rest, and that's something he doesn't get while practicing, however limited, and being on the field every week.

I still think it's possible that it could improve if it's not re-injured, albeit not as fast as it would improve if it was simply rested. They have three games against beatable opponents and then the bye, which will obviously be the biggest opportunity for healing to take place.

H

HardRightEdge

Hyde and Poyer had a rough start to the season but seem to be getting it together. Among the 40 Cousins completions none were for more than 19 yards. White is developing into a shut down corner if he's not already there. He bottled up Diggs last week. The other two DB spots in nickel are vulnerable and might provide some favorable matchups. However, if they take the Redskins approach in giving up the run, they can use Edmunds instead of a CB on Graham. He certainly has the size and speed for the job and the potential to close down one of those matchups.

It's hard to assess their run defense at this point. While the 80 yards per game surrendered on a 3.6 average is better than a sharp stick in the eye, in the first 2 games they got in a big hole early and then put Minnesota in that same kind of hole. Those early holes against makes the opponents' play calling more conservative and predictable or in the latter case going heavy to the pass. They do have 5 forced fumbles in the run game. Ball security requires emphasis.

It's time to break out the running game early as more than a "show it" feature to test whether Buffalo is or is not playing a "stop Rodgers and make the other guys beat us" Redskins approach. Of course, if the defense again sh*ts the bed early then the run game gets back-burnered again. Nobody should expect that expecially against this Bills offense.

McCoy was out last week with cracked ribs and if he plays he won't be 100%. The QB is the leading rusher to date. Ivory is OK but doesn't scare anubody. It's a rookie QB staring down a lot of variations while playing on the road. The receiving corp is highly suspect; one might say "bad".

If the defense cannot keep the score down in this game I'm not sure when they could. I expect they will, but the safeties better be on their game because this guy has the biggest cannon in the game right now.

Clearly a Packer win should be expected, but with offensive line issues, the Bills defense finding their footing with a strong back end limiting the downfield, and a highly suspect Bills offense, I'd expect a fairly low scoring affair.

The Bills are coming off a big win on the road, the defense rallied around each other after the Vonte Davis fiasco, and confidence must be high behind a QB who made plays every which way in that big win.

The opportunity for a blowout is likely confined to Allen having one of those serial pick rookie moments.

This is a game not to be taken lightly as if that even needs to be said.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

My guess - And that's all that it is - is that the NFL will start dialing it down a bit with the quarterback roughing penalties. They're not going to call a press conference and announce anything - that would be admitting they made a mistake, and that's not going to happen. What's more likely do is quietly swallow the flags that have been flying with such frequency every time a QB gets touched. They've gotten more blowback than they expected, and although they appear to be doubling down, I believe behind closed doors they're being forced to rethink this.

Or maybe they'll just foolishly dig in their heels.....Time will tell.
To repeat, from the rules:

"When in doubt about a roughness call or potentially dangerous tactic against the quarterback, the Referee should always call roughing the passer."

I don't think they're going to back off what they are doing, at least not during this season. Some re-evaluation should be expected in the off-season, but I wouldn't expect more than tweeks.

QBs, passing, and scoring are the centerpieces of both the NFL's pitch to the fans and what the preponderance of fans want, for good or for ill, only exacerbated by fantasy football.

What we would hope to expect is that the next time a guy body slams Rodgers, as in this last game, the referee throws the flag. That call is the referee's responsibility and I'd like to think on that play his attention was elsewhere, though with this emphasis I can't imagine what he was looking at.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

How does Why would.....someone put a RED X on this? :rolleyes:

Everything out of Green Bay, including Rodgers himself stated this.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

How does someone put a RED X on this? :rolleyes:

Somebody will figure out that RED X thing eventually. ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Anyway, I only read "hopefully". Somebody mentioned the bye week. That might help, but getting back to 100% and pulling the brace is a little much to expect.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You see that little red x at the bottom right of the post? Touch that or click it with your mouse :)

I like to help where I can

I corrected it smart guy LOL

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It has never been stated that the injury will last the entire season. That is simply false. Additionally, it was reported at this past Saturday's practice that Rodgers' knee appeared to be making progress, based on his movement, activity, etc.

So, that is why someone would put a "red x" on that post. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

It has never been stated that the injury will last the entire season. That is simply false. Additionally, it was reported at this past Saturday's practice that Rodgers' knee appeared to be making progress, based on his movement, activity, etc.
"Hopefully" is the word that was used. It's a word with a poor track record.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Hopefully" is the word that was used. It's a word with a poor track record.
So, clearly people could have differing opinions about the healing of Rodgers' knee. Not exactly surprising. Professional doctors many times have differing opinions, so non-doctors surely will as well.

Members online

Latest posts