Week 3: Broncos @ Packers (H)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Everyone knows we never should have let Cook walk. But sunk costs are sunk.
Yup and hindsight is always 20/20 vision. The key is "knowing these things" at the time you have to make the actual decision. So until the Packers can find one of Nostradamus's relative to work behind a desk, things like this will continue to happen. All you can do is use the knowledge that you have at the time, factor in all of the many known variables, use your best educated guess on the unknowns, make your decision and hope you made the right one. They could have kept Cook, who breaks a leg during his second game, while Graham is riding the Patriot train to the Super Bowl, we will never know.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting stat going into this game.
Quarterback pressures- Chubb 3;Miller 2;
Gary 3 (and in far fewer plays). None of the above have a sack yet.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Josh Jones......he was seen at a local Green Bay McDonald's restaurant this morning.

EDIT: Turns out, he was only working there. :coffee:

He'll be asking to be traded to Burger King before the rush hour ... He's sick of being run over while at work

Reaction score
Josh Jones......he was seen at a local Green Bay McDonald's restaurant this morning.

EDIT: Turns out, he was only working there. :coffee:
Yes. I heard he keeps smiling and then incorrectly changing everyone’s order “to go” status. But they keep him around anyhow...because he has a “Safety first” attitude.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Silverstein reports that MLF says he's fine with rotating Lane Taylor and Elgton Jenkins at LG.

Bout damn time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Silverstein reports that MLF says he's fine with rotating Lane Taylor and Elgton Jenkins at LG.

Bout damn time.
post game presser he basically said, It's an open competition between the 2 when asked why Jenkins went in and Taylor didn't seem to be hurt and came back later.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Elgton take it and doesn't look back. If Taylor goes in and the offense immediately starts to stall then that should be it. Why they keep propping Taylor up is beyond me.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shawn Mennenga just confirmed Smith and Shepherd are his top options for KR/PR. So Shepherd is healthy; I wonder if he'll get offensive snaps as well?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah...but he used d-line rotation as a model. should have just said it's part of the ongoing competition for the position. none of the others will be rotated.
in his post game presser, he flat out said, it's a competition. He said just because Taylor was the starter doesn't mean he will be all year and then he kind of back tracked realizing he was calling out his player right there and said, players are always in competition on this team for starting spots.

H

HardRightEdge

To add to the above, Ben Fennell just pointed out some Packers' stats on 3D and in the RZ:

3D conversion: 25% (6th)
3D completions: 47.8% (3rd)
3D QB Rating: 44.5 (5th)
2 INT and 2 Sacks on 3D

Opposing QB's are 0/6 with two interceptions in the redzone, for a QB rating of 0.0.

So basically the Broncos' offensive struggles dovetail with the Packers' defensive strengths through two games. On the money downs and in the red zone, their O comes up small and our D has been coming up big.

Hopefully this spells another week where the defense carries the day while the offense continues to develop while facing another strong defensive opponent.
I find this informative but on limited data. Reliable trends start to reveal themselves after week 3-4.

For point of comparison, Cincy's offense has had similar issues as the Broncos. They've been moving the ball, 10 times inside the opponent's 40 with only 23 points to show for it, stung repeatedly by penalties. Both the Broncos and Cincy play against comparable defenses this week that have shown well to date.

The question is whether these teams can clean up their mistakes in the often raggedy early season football or continue to shoot themselves in the foot. It's the same question being posed about the inconsistent Packer offense.

Last edited by a moderator:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in his post game presser, he flat out said, it's a competition. He said just because Taylor was the starter doesn't mean he will be all year and then he kind of back tracked realizing he was calling out his player right there and said, players are always in competition on this team for starting spots.
yes he's always mentioned that but yesterday he also likened it to d-line rotation and taking a breather. go back and listen to it again.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Calling it an open competition is essentially softening the inevitable blow of permanently putting Jenkins as the starting LG, in my opinion. Which in a way I understand because if something were to happen, you don't want to alienate Taylor if he's called upon again.

But at the same time, I'm not overly comfortable with rotating LG's throughout the course of the game. It'd be nice to identify who your guy is going to be moving forward, and build that continuity ASAP.

H

HardRightEdge

Calling it an open competition is essentially softening the inevitable blow of permanently putting Jenkins as the starting LG, in my opinion. Which in a way I understand because if something were to happen, you don't want to alienate Taylor if he's called upon again.

But at the same time, I'm not overly comfortable with rotating LG's throughout the course of the game. It'd be nice to identify who your guy is going to be moving forward, and build that continuity ASAP.
18 Jenkins snaps last week. I doubt it has anything to do with keeping Taylor's head in the game. Jenkins will be the LG sooner or later once he wraps his head round this outside zone stuff.

The change I'd like see on the O-Line is not have Graham stay in to block one-on-one against an edge rush. They tried that a couple of times last week and it was pretty ugly.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The change I'd like see on the O-Line is not have Graham stay in to block one-on-one against an edge rush. They tried that a couple of times last week and it was pretty ugly.

Amen! Once in awhile he gets lucky and actually makes a block, but it seems lately that luck has run out and MLF has to stop putting JG into those situations, its a recipe for disaster. I said this in a post earlier this week, but Jimmy at times looked extra hesitant to engage against the Vikings, whether that had something to do with his injury (groin) or he has lost a bit of his desire to play, I guess we will see.

Graham still has the ability to be a threat in the redzone, but I am starting to think his snap count between the 20's should be diminished.

Edit: Graham was back practicing today, so the groin must feel a bit better. Lane Taylor sat out practice due to a bicep issue.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan [email protected] said:
Just left Packers practice. Four players not participating today: Davante Adams (personal matter), Lane Taylor (biceps), Oren Burks (pectoral), Montravius Adams (shoulder). Two thoughts... First, don't freak out about Adams. It's an excused absence. Second, I wonder if this is the changing of guard, so to speak, at left guard. Seems like it would make it easy for Packers to insert Elgton Jenkins as the starting LG, a job he might never give back to Taylor. We'll see.

Possible insight - Adams has listed his house in Green Bay, might have had to tend to matters related to the sale.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a matter of how much we win by. I looked at a Broncos forum and even they think they have no chance to win this game.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the NFL. Not a good idea to underestimate any opponent. This is a team with a lot of talent and that is going to be desperate. Our defense their offense xcetera, don't think it'll happen but the way things go in the NFL these days wouldn't be shocked if the broncos won 34 to 14.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, I'd say that us winning is more of an upset than the Broncos winning, even though we are at home.

All-Time Series:
  • All-time, regular season: 6-6-1.
  • All-time, Postseason: 0-1.
  • All-time, at Lambeau Field: 4-0.
  • Streaks: The Packers have won three of the previous four meetings.
  • Last meeting, regular season: Nov. 1, 2015; Broncos won, 29-10, Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts