Week 13: Arizona v.s. Green Bay at Lambeau

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IDK. The ideal thing would be to see a few newer guys show promise down the stretch and us to pull out some hard fought, impressive Wins to close out our season.
While I understand and i would certainly love to have a great draft pick, it doesn’t seem logical to stop trying to improve in order to do so. I’ll always want the Pack to win and it always starts with the next contest.

Wouldn't it be better to see a few newer guys show promise and somehow lose in a close but well fought contest on a bad call by the officials. That way we could get a higher draft pick and still blame the refs and we would get to keep saying we were only a few plays from being 12-4.

Reaction score
Count me as one of those who values a win more than a higher draft pick. I can understand the argument for playing the young guys and protecting against injury but I will almost never pull for a draft pick over a win. If its win or have the #1 pick I might consider it but anything else ... no.
im with ya. But then again..
How about pick #3 overall? Think another Saquon Barkley type. :D

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we lose this game I think I'll jump off a bridge. The only 2 games these sorry losers have won was against the 49ers both times. At home, really no excuse not to blow this team out.

Unfortunately, as bad as the Cardinals are, the Packers have only won 2 more football games than they have. :eek:
Please don’t jump!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im with ya. But then again..
How about pick #3 overall? :D

Its a fair question and I do get the appeal. I would like a pick that high but after #1 you are still relying on someone else to help make your draft. Do they pick your guy? Do they trade it away (and get three other picks in the process 3...3 picks gained in the trade) does someone else jump you? There is too much uncertainty not only in the player himself but the pick. I think I would still rather have the win.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One just cannot lie that this is unacceptable on every level of football. MM has no passion on that sideline and his players have tuned him out.

He is the problem and not Rodgers. No more of this cutting or trading Rodgers talk.
I haven’t seen any comments about cutting or trading ARod and don’t want to see them. That’s just crazy.

And MM showing no passion has been true all season, and probably in earlier seasons. That’s contagious, in a bad way. And yes, a loss to the Cards, at home, in December, in the snow - that is unacceptable as you say. Maybe it’s better to pull the plug on MM now, let Pettine run the show, and give a LOT of thought (not just about the next HC) to what changes need to be made. Although a HC with some passion would be a great start.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Its a fair question and I do get the appeal. I would like a pick that high but after #1 you are still relying on someone else to help make your draft. Do they pick your guy? Do they trade it away (and get three other picks in the process 3...3 picks gained in the trade) does someone else jump you? There is too much uncertainty not only in the player himself but the pick. I think I would still rather have the win.

While I like to win games, what does a win tangibly earn you at this point? I prefer higher draft position in every round and playing time for the guys who will be in Green Bay next year. No need to throw games, but I think if we see the same team that we saw today, that won't even be needed.

Would be interesting to know how many of those guys that spent the last week checking out all the teams and their upcoming schedules that the Packers were chasing for a playoff spot, will now be secretly looking at the teams below the Packers for that "chase for the #1 pick". :coffee:

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones is definitely a playmaker as well. There's no doubt the offense lacks proven players though.

We could use a 2nd round pick type wide receiver to help Devante. Neither MVS or ESB are proven. Wouldn't a young tight end with speed and hands also be nice?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Last drive: 5 incomplete passes and a missed field goal. What an appropriate way to end our playoff hopes. Our season in a nutshell.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I like to win games, what does a win tangibly earn you at this point? I prefer higher draft position in every round and playing time for the guys who will be in Green Bay next year. No need to throw games, but I think if we see the same team that we saw today, that won't even be needed.

Would be interesting to know how many of those guys that spent the last week checking out all the teams and their upcoming schedules that the Packers were chasing for a playoff spot, will now be secretly looking at the teams below the Packers for that "chase for the #1 pick". :coffee:

Hey, I know what you mean and I honestly do understand the sentiment. I have changed my mind about what I think about fans who would rather have the draft pick. I know its the way they think is the best way to improve the team. Its just for me personally, when it comes to draft picks, I just can't bring myself to hope they lose just to get a higher one.

The idea of playing the young guys to get them more experience and to maybe see a bit more of what they can do holds much more appeal to me than getting the higher draft pick.

On the other hand if there is a bright spot to losing that is it. If the packers lose the rest of their games I certainly will not be excited about having a higher draft pick but it will be a small consolation prize.

I do like what you said about today's game though. They may not even have to try to lose

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hey, I know what you mean and I honestly do understand the sentiment. I have changed my mind about what I think about fans who would rather have the draft pick. I know its the way they think is the best way to improve the team. Its just for me personally, when it comes to draft picks, I just can't bring myself to hope they lose just to get a higher one.

The idea of playing the young guys to get them more experience and to maybe see a bit more of what they can do holds much more appeal to me than getting the higher draft pick.

On the other hand if there is a bright spot to losing that is it. If the packers lose the rest of their games I certainly will not be excited about having a higher draft pick but it will be a small consolation prize.

I do like what you said about today's game though. They may not even have to try to lose

Sure I as well love seeing a win, but honestly after the way the Packers played today, I was calmly smiling when I turned off the TV. If this is what has to happen to set the wheels in motion to improve the team (coaching changes, better draft position, "better 2019 schedule"), than I am still quietly smiling knowing the process has finally begun.

Someone else pointed it out, but I like the idea of firing MM today/tomorrow and letting Pettine take over the team the rest of the way. Of all the current coaches, I think given the right players, Pettine will be a solid DC and letting him be the interim coach, might not only allow for him to be retained, but have a coach in charge that is possibly vested in what happens this season and how it effects next.