Week 11: Packers @ Colts

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My 2 cents for what it is worth. Mods obviously are here for a purpose. Yes, they are posters interested in the Packers, but they definitely have more "power" than the rest of us minions, so that they can do Mod things. One of those things seems to be keeping peace, maybe I am wrong with that? I haven't read the list of Mod duties and only assume this is a duty based on watching mods moderate. So with that power comes some responsibilities and you can't have your cake and eat it to. If you want to jump into a thread and play your Mod card to keep the peace, great that seems to be the role of a Mod. I think all swhitset was pointing out was someone throwing gas on the fire and that someone was a Mod. Seems counter intuitive to have Mods to keep the peace, when these Mods are sometimes the ones fanning the flames?

Let me ask the Mod @Do7 something. What was your intention with your comment to @gbgary?
My intent was just a playful jab nothing serious or harmful.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is nothing harmless about you continuing a dispute when you don’t need to. There is a reason I have no desire to be a moderator... you should be held to a higher standard... but that went away in here a long time ago.
All I did was playfully ask if he was above admitting he was wrong. Perhaps you took as them trading remarks at one another, but I certainly didn't see it that way. Honestly I simply saw what Gary said and simply commented on what he said with And again going back to my original point. With you it's damned if I do, and damned if I don't. Case in point, there was one time I tried to diffuse a situation and you got on me when I politely tried to prevent things from escalating.

With you I just can't win with you. It's like no matter what I do and you have a track of getting on my case in regards to me having a higher standard, when dare I say I find that a bit hypocritical coming from you. In the beginning I didn't have an issue with what you were saying bc of how intense I was with me debating, but I have mellowed out since then, and rarely do I ever engage in a full scale debate like I used to. You want to get on my case that is fine, and I have demonstrated time and time again that I am not ashamed to admit when I'm wrong, but at least be fair.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I did was playfully ask if he was above admitting he was wrong. Perhaps you took as them trading remarks at one another, but I certainly didn't see it that way. Honestly I simply saw what Gary said and simply commented on what he said with And again going back to my original point. With you it's damned if I do, and damned if I don't. Case in point, there was one time I tried to diffuse a situation and you got on me when I politely tried to prevent things from escalating.

With you I just can't win with you. It's like no matter what I do and you have a track of getting on my case in regards to me having a higher standard, when dare I say I find that a bit hypocritical coming from you. In the beginning I didn't have an issue with what you were saying bc of how intense I was with me debating, but I have mellowed out since then, and rarely do I ever engage in a full scale debate like I used to. You want to get on my case that is fine, and I have demonstrated time and time again that I am not ashamed to admit when I'm wrong, but at least be fair.
Nothing at all Hypocritical about what I said. I am not a moderator. If you weren’t... I might have given you an agree instead of challenging what you said. I stand by my assertion that mods should be held to a higher standard. I certainly have no power to enforce my opinion, but that is what it is. As for dredging up past arguments... I have left them there. There is nothing personal here (or at least not on my end, I try and look at every situation on its own... Which is why even though I agree with both you and Packattack12 about Gary... I still feel that your comment was a bit inappropriate because of the circumstances. If two kids on the playground are arguing... no big deal. If a third kid comes along and joins one side, it’s unbalanced, but still just kids arguing. If that 3rd person happens to be a teacher, well... now we have something different altogether.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Something I didn't say in my last post, but have said before. I appreciate the job that the Mods do here. Poppa, LTF, the 3 of us have squabbled, disagreed, etc. but we all have been respectful of each other in doing so. It can't be an easy job and I respect that you are willing to do it. This forum probably would erode quickly without you. As swhitset stated, not a job I would want, because yes, I do roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty once in awhile doing things I wouldn't do as a mod, but feel just fine doing as an everyday poster.

I also hope Do7 takes all these posts as constructive criticism (at least from me) :)

ty for the kind words

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Nothing at all Hypocritical about what I said. I am not a moderator. If you weren’t... I might have given you an agree instead of challenging what you said. I stand by my assertion that mods should be held to a higher standard. I certainly have no power to enforce my opinion, but that is what it is. As for dredging up past arguments... I have left them there. There is nothing personal here (or at least not on my end, I try and look at every situation on its own... Which is why even though I agree with both you and Packattack12 about Gary... I still feel that your comment was a bit inappropriate because of the circumstances. If two kids on the playground are arguing... no big deal. If a third kid comes along and joins one side, it’s unbalanced, but still just kids arguing. If that 3rd person happens to be a teacher, well... now we have something different altogether.

I think this is a fair point.

I

My intent was just a playful jab nothing serious or harmful.

I can see that was your intent, and with full knowledge I get it, but in fairness, I can also see the objection to it. Just my two cents worth.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Then as mods we are to shut down our opinions and only “mod”

I used to mod Brett Favres forum (yes his own personal one that was on his official web site)

we gave mods fake names to mod with so no one would take issues like this

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright fair enough. Just to clarify on a few things. I didn't interpret Packattack12 and Gary going back at one another. I simply saw what Gary said, and based off previous history it felt like he doesn't like to admit when he was wrong, so I made a playful jab at him. And personally I don't think the two were having a "dispute" but in the interest of fairness I only read what Gary said in response to the question being asked to him. Perhaps I didn't pick up on it, I won't rule that out. Hence why when I personally felt you were ******* me out for the sake of doing so because again when I tried to defuse a situation a few months back that could've potentially went bad, you got on me then.

So I do share your sentiments in regards to the mods being held to a higher standard. I just simply didn't see the two as going back and forth with one another, and besides PackAttack12 had nothing to do with what I said to Gary. I said that based off my previous experiences with him, and in the past I've made playful jabs at him that he didn't take personal. I'll reassess my approach if it's for the best.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
While I understand the frustration... is it really the job of a moderator to pile on and keep a dispute going?

So it’s okay for you ( or others) to speak on an issue about another poster?

Did Gary say this pissed him off? What if Gary took it as a joke?

shouldn’t we allow the so called offended poster to speak 1st??

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see that was your intent, and with full knowledge I get it, but in fairness, I can also see the objection to it. Just my two cents worth.
So I really screw the pooch huh? Alright then. I apologize. I certainly didn't mean any harm or malice behind what I said.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So I really screw the pooch huh? Alright then. I apologize. I certainly didn't mean any harm or malice behind what I said.
We all screw up. Human

I did it with quoting a ignored person to someone

meant no harm but poster didn’t like it

I

You don`t need to apologize to me. You`ve explained yourself. Welcome to the moderating team ;)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I used to mod Brett Favres forum (yes his own personal one that was on his official web site)

Nothing is as black and white as you just framed it. Go back and look at my original exchange with you. As I said originally I have no problem with mods having an opinion... it’s the particular situation I had a problem with. A moderator should never try to escalate a dispute. If you or D07 had been the one discussing it with Gary originally have at it within reason of course. But context matters. packattack12 had already done a very good job pointing out Gary’s very wrong prediction and was already holding his feet to the fire. Gary hadn’t answered yet, and then D07 decided to pour more fuel on the fire. It was definitely piling on, and because he us a moderator... I believe it was inappropriate...
not nearly enough to warrant this much discussion..
but i suppose that’s inevitable.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I have mentioned this a few times and quite honestly, it is too bad that it isn't set up that way. ie....Mods have 2 accounts; "normal poster" and "mod". Obviously, other mods would know who is who, just to keep mods from abusing the 2 accounts. Moreover, I don't think we as normal posters would need to know that if a Mod who is doing a great job as "PackerMod", is also posting as a "regular poster" as "Packerprick". At least then I could put the ***** account on ignore.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing is as black and white as you just framed it. Go back and look at my original exchange with you. As I said originally I have no problem with mods having an opinion... it’s the particular situation I had a problem with. A moderator should never try to escalate a dispute. If you or D07 had been the one discussing it with Gary originally have at it within reason of course. But context matters. packattack12 had already done a very good job pointing out Gary’s very wrong prediction and was already holding his feet to the fire. Gary hadn’t answered yet, and then D07 decided to pour more fuel on the fire. It was definitely piling on, and because he us a moderator... I believe it was inappropriate...
not nearly enough to warrant this much discussion..
but i suppose that’s inevitable.
Don’t get me wrong.

I appreciate your input and want to get this fixed or at least understood

The posters make it a forum. Just trying to figure out how to make it work better for you and others that have issues.

More of an open discussion on getting there

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright fair enough. Just to clarify on a few things. I didn't interpret Packattack12 and Gary going back at one another. I simply saw what Gary said, and based off previous history it felt like he doesn't like to admit when he was wrong, so I made a playful jab at him. And personally I don't think the two were having a "dispute" but in the interest of fairness I only read what Gary said in response to the question being asked to him. Perhaps I didn't pick up on it, I won't rule that out. Hence why when I personally felt you were ******* me out for the sake of doing so because again when I tried to defuse a situation a few months back that could've potentially went bad, you got on me then.

So I do share your sentiments in regards to the mods being held to a higher standard. I just simply didn't see the two as going back and forth with one another, and besides PackAttack12 had nothing to do with what I said to Gary. I said that based off my previous experiences with him, and in the past I've made playful jabs at him that he didn't take personal. I'll reassess my approach if it's for the best.
Fair enough. As I said above this has gone far beyond the level of importance that I feel it warrants. I can see where you are coming from framing it the way you saw it. sometimes the order we read the forum can influence our response. I know it’s happening to me right now... responding to comments i read before i see another post that may have already addressed it.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough. As I said above this has gone far beyond the level of importance that I feel it warrants. I can see where you are coming from framing it the way you saw it. sometimes the order we read the forum can influence our response. I know it’s happening to me right now... responding to comments i read before i see another post that may have already addressed it.
Understood. I'll be more careful next time. I appreciate your concern.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have the worst problem with the words "I was wrong".

You said you never used the word overachieving. And now that I've presented the evidence, you're tap dancing.
that was my opinion at the time. the team and my opinion have evolved since then. it's not a black and white thing. i didn't say 2+2 = 5. the D is much better now. that's a fact. even the O is better. that's also a fact. i bet if i combed your posts i'd find an opinion of yours that's changed over time. it just means you have open mind about things.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was referring to his claim that he never said the Packers were overachieving. Also, he thought the Packers were going to take a significant step back this season from last.
i surely did use the term "overachieving." i honestly didn't recall using that term. i didn't say i didn't use the term...just that i didn't recall using it. i even asked that you find it so that we could see the context of it's use. my guess that they'd finish 9-7 or 10-6 was wrong.

Last edited: