Week 11: Packers @ Colts

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Time to put this in the books and...

#RunTheTable Again!!!

Well, maybe not quite though it feels like we got a good setup for it

We got the Bears plus four other dud teams we should be able to bury next, and then the Titans. I predicted we'd beat them before this season started though and I'm sticking by that. But anyway... 13-3 still feels very doable again.

Agreed. I personally felt like the Packers were better than the Colts and just thought the team figured they were going to cruise to victory after the first half. It seemed they took the foot off the proverbial pedal.

I'm not that concerned with the upcoming schedule. I'm more concerned about the Packers beating themselves as was the case yesterday.

Now, let's crush the Bears!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I personally felt like the Packers were better than the Colts and just thought the team figured they were going to cruise to victory after the first half. It seemed they took the foot off the proverbial pedal.

I think this was the tale of 2 halves and the tale of 4 coaches who did and didn't make adjustments at halftime. MLF and Pettine appeared to come out of that locker room at halftime expecting Indy to have the exact same game plan for the second half. Indy came out of the Locker room much smarter and ready to win.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this was the tale of 2 halves and the tale of 4 coaches who did and didn't make adjustments at halftime. MLF and Pettine appeared to come out of that locker room at halftime expecting Indy to have the exact same game plan for the second half. Indy came out of the Locker room much smarter and ready to win.
I agree... and have already stated I would like to see Pettine replaced. However, I will say with regard to MFL ... it is probably much easier to identify a need for adjustments when your team is losing. That’s not to say a good coach shouldn’t still be evaluating and looking for places to be better, but when things appear to have been working... it’s probably hard to start changing things.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree... and have already stated I would like to see Pettine replaced. However, I will say with regard to MFL ... it is probably much easier to identify a need for adjustments when your team is losing. That’s not to say a good coach shouldn’t still be evaluating and looking for places to be better, but when things appear to have been working... it’s probably hard to start changing things.
I'm not sure how much we made adjustments or didn't. I think we failed on a 3rd and 4 and a 3rd and 2? it's not like they just shut us down, we just came up a bit short. it happens against good defenses, and the Colts have that.

The killer was then the defense gave up 2 length of the field TD's and Shepherd had a TO on a kick off and before we knew it we were losing and in 20 minutes basically saw our offense on the sidelines. Didn't even really have a chance to get things going there for a long time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

While I understand that when you have a 14 point lead, you expect to continue as is, assuming the defense you are playing against won't make any changes. The Packers had 2 consecutive 3 and outs to begin the second half. After scoring 28 points in the first half, what does that tell you? That says to me that MLF didn't anticipate that Indy would make any changes and the success that the Packers had in the first half would carry over to the second half. It didn't and the offense scored 3 points. Even the FOX team at halftime said "both defenses are going to need to come with pressure, Indy did, the Packers didn't. I would still contend that is on MLF and Pettine for not either anticipating change or adjusting to it on the fly. I have much more confidence that MLF will rebound from this, Pettine, not so much.

I will say this, Pettine's defense was only a little worse in the second half as it was in the first half. :laugh:

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I swear every time I see Preston Smith on the field over Rashan Gary I just get madder and madder. The defense NEEDS Gary to be playing more.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preston Smith should not be out covering TEs in the passing game. :tdown:

Ideally not, but look at that alignment and tell me who should be doing it?

It was a great play call by Frank ***** to scheme against a tendency he saw. They lined up heavy, 3 TE’s I think, and got Smith isolated. That was a play that’s a credit to ***** than a discredit to Pettine (and I’m not a Pettine fan).

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I don't think he's been used well, I believe Preston Smith has pretty much played himself out of town at this point.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I don't think he's been used well, I believe Preston Smith has pretty much played himself out of town at this point.

He hasn’t been used any different than last year. He’s actually dropping in coverage less than last year. So tell me, please, how he isn’t being used well.

He isn’t setting an edge, he isn’t pass rushing well at all, he looks sloppy body wise, has next to no explosiveness, and isn’t playing assignment football.

He’s been flat bad.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year he seemed fairly decent holding an edge in the run game. Able to squeeze down the edge some, but if they tried t bounce outside he had those long dang arms to push them wider or bring them down before they "got the edge". ZSmith was the weak one against the run. This year? man, they run right at PSmith by design for a reason.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Preston, Savage and Clark have been my 3 biggest disappointments on defense this season. I would add Pettine to the list too, but I will get to that at the end.

Preston seriously looks like Nick Perry at times. He was a really good player last season, so no clue why he has dropped off so much.

Savage had a nice rookie year and seems to have regressed.

Clark, while he did have the injury, I just don't think he has even come close to looking like the player we just gave a huge contract too. Reminds me of Lowery in a way. He gets paid and then drops off.

Having these 3 and a few other players on defense seemingly under performing leads me to the conclusion that coaching is the problem. Nobody seems motivated or accountable for their mistakes. Kirksey does a presser yesterday that seems like he is struggling to come up with positives as to trying to explain the way the defense played.

https://www.packers.com/video/kirksey-we-re-gonna-keep-fighting

Silverstein sneaks a question in at around the 7:20 mark to see if Pettine prepared the Defense at halftime for the possibility that Indy might run more in the 2nd half.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 weeks ago I would have agreed to an extent, but I think Savage and Clark have both been playing a bit better each week the past few weeks.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 weeks ago I would have agreed to an extent, but I think Savage and Clark have both been playing a bit better each week the past few weeks.

I agree. Clark has definitely been better the past couple weeks. Our other dts are just so bad. Savage was much more active yesterday

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tail of two halves. O looked pretty darned good for a while, D got a couple of stops after turnovers, and got a couple. then the scripted plays ran out. they managed to get a score in what has to be the worst two minute drill in history to get a TD, and then halftime occured. ridiculous 2nd half in every category imaginable. the defence, who was on the field the entire 2nd half due to a complete offensive meltdown, couldn't do anything to stop Indy. despite the D, turnovers, 2019ish rodgers, horrible clock management (when we had the ball) and decision-making, they were in a position to win it in regulation...but pi$$ed that away...then gave it away in OT.
they're an entertaining, frustrating, surprising, and resilient bunch. never a dull moment. lol.
so...the bears next...who still suck btw. Go Pack!

D

Deleted member 6794

Minny losing to the 'girls helps ease the pain of the loss in Indy. ;)

It doesn't help in the battle for the #1 seed in the NFC though.

I swear every time I see Preston Smith on the field over Rashan Gary I just get madder and madder. The defense NEEDS Gary to be playing more.

I agree Gary should receive more playing time based on Preston struggling but he hasn't performed at a level forcing Pettine to make a change either.

"Gave it away in OT". Why does that sound so familiar?

The difference being that this time the Packers had a football to start overtime though.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference being that this time the Packers had a football to start overtime though.
Not for long lol.
As you noted, this loss really hurt since we had sole possession of the number one seed going into this game. Losing in the fashion that they did was doubly difficult considering what was at stake. Although I have to admit I didn't expect a win going into it (we've never won in Indy), I didn't expect them to lose it the way they did.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He did do it....but this is a "what have you done for me lately" league. If Tonyan continues to fail to produce, should we just hang our hats on his 2 week span of relevance? You guys didn't have the same amount of understanding for Jimmy Graham if I remember correctly, and he far outproduced Tonyan.
Ahem

How's Jimmy?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jimmy has Trubisky and Foles throwing to him, not Aaron Rodgers. Nagy has found a way to scheme him in though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jimmy has Trubisky and Foles throwing to him, not Aaron Rodgers. Nagy has found a way to scheme him in though.
Tonyan has more td now than Jimmy had in 2 years IN G
Face it..

No way to save face.

Make a post about our sorry Def maybe you break a jinx

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not trying to save face. He still has been inconsistent at times...maybe not to the extent of MVS, but I wouldn't call his production reliable just yet. 5 out of 12 weeks he failed to top 40 yards receiving.

Members online

Latest posts