We should trade up and grab...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we were going to trade up and grab someone who would you like it to be?

My pick is Luke Kuechly

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ivo... good point. I really think TT is armed to make a move up in either of the first two rounds. The Pack have 10 selections, I think, with 2 in the fourth. I can easily see him move his 2nd and 4th to move up into the middle of the 2nd round. Or, trade the 1st, 3rd, and 4th to move up in the first round. I would love to see him do something like this. We don't need 10 players.

If he moves up in the first, I'm guessing he targets Upshaw or Barron (b/c I think Collins is done).

As for the 2nd rd. pick, I have no clue. There are way too many potential players, and someone will start to slide. That would be when TT makes his move. Maybe a Zach Brown from UNC starts sliding.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would love to see TT trade up and get the PASS RUSH fixed.

That ain't Kuechly though.
He's an ILB and we're fine there, with 2 backups who worthy starting actually.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Mericlus, Hightower or Cox would be my picks.

Mericlus for obvious reasons. We need to get to the QB. Mercilus is not only a great pass rusher, but he's a playmaker and he has no character issues.

Hightower, at this point I think just about anybody would be an upgrade over AJ Hawk. Hightower is not only one of the best ILB's in the draft, but I think he has the size, athleticism and moves to where he could also play as an edge rusher in the 3-4 scheme. We could move him around based on where we think he'd fit best.

Cox because we also need help on the defensive line getting push and interior pressure. He's the best DT in the draft and there are plenty of other OLB's prospects that we could pick up in the second round like Irvin, Curry or Branch.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd really like to see TT move up and get Cox but that might be pricey. I think Hightower would be a good bet. TT would probably not have to move far to get him and they could play him inside (eventually replace Hawk) or outside in pass rush situations. He could even prove to be a 3 down OLB but if he doesn't work out there he will be a beast on the inside. It would be nice to have an ILB that could improve the blitz packages Capers likes to use but they don't get much out of it with Hawk.
If TT's going to gamble with picks Hightower would be safe because there is a fall back position for him if needed.
He came up big for Alabama and probably out performed Upshaw last year.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We would probably have to move up into the 10-12 range to get Kuechly. I don't see TT paying the price to move up that high. I'd love to see Fletcher Cox but he will go even higher than Kuechly. I think if he moves he'll move up in the 20 range. There he could probably land a Hightower or Mercilus. I'd be happy with either of them.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I'd really like to see TT move up and get Cox but that might be pricey. I think Hightower would be a good bet. TT would probably not have to move far to get him and they could play him inside (eventually replace Hawk) or outside in pass rush situations. He could even prove to be a 3 down OLB but if he doesn't work out there he will be a beast on the inside. It would be nice to have an ILB that could improve the blitz packages Capers likes to use but they don't get much out of it with Hawk.
If TT's going to gamble with picks Hightower would be safe because there is a fall back position for him if needed.
He came up big for Alabama and probably out performed Upshaw last year.

Exactly. Capers loves to blitz up the middle with our ILB's and Hightower is a beast at that. He has the power, speed and moves to get into the backfield and cause havoc. Plus there will still be good DL and OLB's in the second round that we can take if we still feel we need further pass rush upgrade.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But to move up might cost us our second.

He could always take 3's and 4's and move back to 2. He doesn't need all those picks anyhow. If he doesn't get his man in the 1st and ends up moving back I would be willing to bet he turns around and unloads 3's and fours and comes back to the 2nd again for that very reason.
If he wiggles thru it this way and ends up with three 2nds we are all going to be smiling on Monday. Regardless, with all those picks he can move up and still get a second. He's loaded with so many picks now is a good time to jump.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could always take 3's and 4's and move back to 2. He doesn't need all those picks anyhow. If he doesn't get his man in the 1st and ends up moving back I would be willing to bet he turns around and unloads 3's and fours and comes back to the 2nd again for that very reason.
If he wiggles thru it this way and ends up with three 2nds we are all going to be smiling on Monday. Regardless, with all those picks he can move up and still get a second. He's loaded with so many picks now is a good time to jump.

Perhaps someone would give him a # 2 for a third and fourth. Keep in mind we are picking late in both rounds. The only picks TT could trade are his own third(only pick he has in the third btw) and his own fourth. Those compensatory picks can't be traded in the fourth.

Maybe he could package a third and fourth with his # 1 and move up in the first. Not sure if that would be enough ammunition to move where he needs to? There's some sort of value assigned to picks based on where they fall but I don't know what that is.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps someone would give him a # 2 for a third and fourth. Keep in mind we are picking late in both rounds. The only picks TT could trade are his own third(only pick he has in the third btw) and his own fourth. Those compensatory picks can't be traded in the fourth.

For those teams needing more picks it can work. I understand what he can use. I'm just saying with all the picks he has this would be the time to try and get back into the 2nd even if he doesn't trade up and lose the 58th.

Where we are at right now being in the top tier of teams it's critical we get that guy in the 1st that can help turn the D around right now than it is to get value or future potential stars. We're there now less a couple of players. Let's go get them. We win it all last year with an AVERAGE defensive effort. We don't need to throw another year away.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those teams needing more picks it can work. I understand what he can use. I'm just saying with all the picks he has this would be the time to try and get back into the 2nd even if he doesn't trade up and lose the 58th.

Where we are at right now being in the top tier of teams it's critical we get that guy in the 1st that can help turn the D around right now than it is to get value or future potential stars. We're there now less a couple of players. Let's go get them. We win it all last year with an AVERAGE defensive effort. We don't need to throw another year away.

Yeah we pretty much agree. I think he really needs to get a stud in this draft.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I think TT doesn't trade up in the first. I think he moves up in the second. As has been said, it's going to cost a lot to make the moves up to get the premier guys and after them the talent pool is deep for DT/DL/OLB.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

An average defensive effort (which it was) doesn't change the offensive problems we had against the giants and chiefs.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
An average defensive effort (which it was) doesn't change the offensive problems we had against the giants and chiefs.

Those are problems that can easily be worked through. Every offense has an off day eventually. And it didn't help that we had injuries all along our offensive line for most of last season and no less we stunk up the joint against those two teams who happened to have a great ability to get to the QB.

It is simply not possible to work through our lack of ability to get to the QB. We don't have the talent on defense. Nobody on the right side is worth a damn and they are constantly injured. Our defensive line is mediocre, our ILB's when asked to blitz always get picked up.

Our inability to get to the QB is top priority right now.

The only attention I can see being paid to the offense and should be, is after the 1st and probably 2nd round looking at Offensive Lineman and maybe a RB.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Those are problems that can easily be worked through. Every offense has an off day eventually. And it didn't help that we had injuries all along our offensive line for most of last season and no less we stunk up the joint against those two teams who happened to have a great ability to get to the QB.

It is simply not possible to work through our lack of ability to get to the QB. We don't have the talent on defense. Nobody on the right side is worth a damn and they are constantly injured. Our defensive line is mediocre, our ILB's when asked to blitz always get picked up.

The only attention I can see being paid to the offense and should be, is after the 1st and probably 2nd round looking at Offensive Lineman and maybe a RB.

Agree with all of this.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do realize the offense was bad for 2 out of 17 games while the defense was bad for 16 of 17 games... right?

No I didnt. Mostly because I dont consider a goal line stop of the Saints bad, or holding the falcons to 2 TDs in ATL, or holding the rams to 3 pts, or the vikings to 7, or the Lions to 14 in Detroit. Unless of course you are one of those who counts yards instead of points lol.

You do realize we lost both games the offense sucked it up right?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is simply not possible to work through our lack of ability to get to the QB. We don't have the talent on defense.

Those words should be bolded under everyone's signature!
Totally true, and there's no mincing words there.
It was an embarrassment last year and has to be dramatically addressed immediately.

TT knows this, and I believe Capers, Kevin Greene, and Mike Trgovic have let TT know that he has to upgrade the talent on the outside significantly and now. Hence TT being RARELY active in free agency (still bargain-hunting).

Tyson Jackson was Fletcher Cox in the 2009 Draft, which is why Raji slid to us at #9. KC bit on the prototype 3-4 DE.
He's got like 2 career sacks.

DE's in this system don't get the sacks. Justin Smith is the rare exception.

We need legit beasts at the OLB position, and we only have one.
We need 2.
There are some in this draft and it's up to TT to identify one and get him. He might get him at #28. He might trade up.
Or be might steal him in round 2.

Or he might trade for him with Indianapolis....... ;)

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No I didnt. Mostly because I dont consider a goal line stop of the Saints bad, or holding the falcons to 2 TDs in ATL, or holding the rams to 3 pts, or the vikings to 7, or the Lions to 14 in Detroit. Unless of course you are one of those who counts yards instead of points lol.

You do realize we lost both games the offense sucked it up right?

Yep. We should just ignore the high yardarge/high point games against juggarnauts like the Panthers and Bucs. We should just ignore Eli Manning converting 3rd-and-longs the entire first half or the Hail Mary pass.

Sports are real simple, if you're defense gives up 0 your offense only needs to score 1.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts