We should trade up and grab...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our defense gave up more passing yards than any team in NFL history last year, by almost 300 yards.
Our pass rush was dead last in terms of % sacking the QB on passing downs.
And our blitz-success rate was almost dead last.

Sure we did well in Detroit and Atlanta inexplicably, but when was the last time tierh of those franchizes won a playoff game?
And despite those 2 anomolies, we still gave up more passing yards than any team in NFL history, and we could not get any stops in the 1st half vs the Giants when our defense needed to carry us for a bit.

Eli never got touched, and that made a big difference.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Or he might trade for him with Indianapolis....... ;)

:D

Interesting idea would be if Indy wanted to move to the late first round and grab Fleener or another skill position on offense to pair with Luck if someone they want is there when GB picks.

And with a trade with Indy the Packers can have the Colts early second rounder, another pick and Hughes.

I should be a GM.

Of course I don't think any of my trade scenarios ever happen.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Ivo... good point. I really think TT is armed to make a move up in either of the first two rounds. The Pack have 10 selections, I think, with 2 in the fourth. I can easily see him move his 2nd and 4th to move up into the middle of the 2nd round. Or, trade the 1st, 3rd, and 4th to move up in the first round. I would love to see him do something like this. We don't need 10 players.

If he moves up in the first, I'm guessing he targets Upshaw or Barron (b/c I think Collins is done).

As for the 2nd rd. pick, I have no clue. There are way too many potential players, and someone will start to slide. That would be when TT makes his move. Maybe a Zach Brown from UNC starts sliding.

Our pick 2nd (#59) and 4th(#123) will not be enough get us to the middle of the second. We'd need to give our 2nd(#59) and 3rd(#90). Our picks are to late in the rounds to do any serious move ups.

Our 1st-3rd-4th would move us up around pick #20 and thats even value. Most teams taking your phone call want a little more. If we were to do the 1-3-4, I'd add next years 1 and move in and grab Cox.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Those words should be bolded under everyone's signature!
Totally true, and there's no mincing words there.
It was an embarrassment last year and has to be dramatically addressed immediately.

TT knows this, and I believe Capers, Kevin Greene, and Mike Trgovic have let TT know that he has to upgrade the talent on the outside significantly and now. Hence TT being RARELY active in free agency (still bargain-hunting).

Tyson Jackson was Fletcher Cox in the 2009 Draft, which is why Raji slid to us at #9. KC bit on the prototype 3-4 DE.
He's got like 2 career sacks.

DE's in this system don't get the sacks. Justin Smith is the rare exception.

We need legit beasts at the OLB position, and we only have one.
We need 2.
There are some in this draft and it's up to TT to identify one and get him. He might get him at #28. He might trade up.
Or be might steal him in round 2.

Or he might trade for him with Indianapolis....... ;)

We don't necessarily NEED another playmaker at OLB. There aren't many teams who have ran a 3-4 that have had dominant playmakers on both sides. There is always a complete beast and then a guy on the other side who's at best above average.

If we don't get a playmaking OLB, than we need to get a damn good Defensive Lineman. Whichever happens, our pass rush needs to improve. Period. Nobody in this league, with the way offenses are running the ball less and less and passing more and more are going to be able to win games if they can't get to the QB. Unless they are one of these elite passing offenses and even then, they can't be expected to carry the workload all the time

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't necessarily NEED another playmaker at OLB. There aren't many teams who have ran a 3-4 that have had dominant playmakers on both sides. There is always a complete beast and then a guy on the other side who's at best above average.

If we don't get a playmaking OLB, than we need to get a damn good Defensive Lineman. Whichever happens, our pass rush needs to improve. Period. Nobody in this league, with the way offenses are running the ball less and less and passing more and more are going to be able to win games if they can't get to the QB. Unless they are one of these elite passing offenses and even then, they can't be expected to carry the workload all the time
I wish we had Justin Smith. Or even Cullen Jenkins.

That's why my ideal mock has:
-Jerel Worthy & Bruce Irvin

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I wish we had Justin Smith. Or even Cullen Jenkins.

That's why my ideal mock has:
-Jerel Worthy & Bruce Irvin

I wouldn't be against that at all. In fact, sadly I'm coping with the fact that getting Mercilus is becoming less and less of a possibility for us. Even though we wouldn't have to trade up too high to get him.

But getting a beast DT in the first and an OLB like Irvin or maybe Vinny Curry in the second would make a lot of sense.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mericlus, Hightower or Cox would be my picks.

Mericlus for obvious reasons. We need to get to the QB. Mercilus is not only a great pass rusher, but he's a playmaker and he has no character issues.

Hightower, at this point I think just about anybody would be an upgrade over AJ Hawk. Hightower is not only one of the best ILB's in the draft, but I think he has the size, athleticism and moves to where he could also play as an edge rusher in the 3-4 scheme. We could move him around based on where we think he'd fit best.

Cox because we also need help on the defensive line getting push and interior pressure. He's the best DT in the draft and there are plenty of other OLB's prospects that we could pick up in the second round like Irvin, Curry or Branch.
My dream scenirio is to move up & get Richardson, Cox & Ingram even if we need to give up 6 of our 12 picks. Then we need to get a CB & S.Since I know that won't happen I would like to trade up for Cox & possibly get Mercilus or McClellin. I'd like to get either Pead or Polk for a RB

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dream scenirio is to move up & get Richardson, Cox & Ingram even if we need to give up 6 of our 12 picks. Then we need to get a CB & S.Since I know that won't happen I would like to trade up for Cox & possibly get Mercilus or McClellin. I'd like to get either Pead or Polk for a RB

LOL, getting those 3 we'd have to give up a helluva lot more than 6 of our picks. Those are the #1 RB, the #1 DT, and the #1 OLB in this years draft, all guaranteed to go in the top 15, with 2 of them going in the top 10.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said that's my dream draft for us. Since it won't happen Hopefully TT will have a repeat of the 2009 1st rd when we got Raji & Matthews. Possibly get Cox & Mercilus or McClellin. I think Poe will be a beast as well

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Some of you are likely going to be very disappointed on draft day. I do not believe Ted moves up this year in round 1 or 2. He is likely to sit tight and wait his turn knowing that there is good talent available at #28 and beyond. No one can really say which OLB or DE or S or DB is going to be the best and the margin of quality between the top 5 in any of those positions is too small to measure at this point.

In fact, I think he trades away a pick or two in the middle rounds for picks in future drafts.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I expect him to actually trade down. With expanded rosters It gives him more of a reason to bring a bunch of guys into camp.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I expect him to actually trade down. With expanded rosters It gives him more of a reason to bring a bunch of guys into camp.
With the way our D played last year I can't see TT trading down. Clay needs some help on the other side. He only got 6 sacks last year. Less than 1/2 of what he got in 2011. We either need to trade up & get Cox or Ingram. If we stay at 28 I'm sure we can get either Mercilus,McClellin or Upshaw. If we expect to go back & win SB XLVII in N.O. next year you can't put a band-aid on our D. It must be fixed

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the way our D played last year I can't see TT trading down. Clay needs some help on the other side. He only got 6 sacks last year. Less than 1/2 of what he got in 2011. We either need to trade up & get Cox or Ingram. If we stay at 28 I'm sure we can get either Mercilus,McClellin or Upshaw. If we expect to go back & win SB XLVII in N.O. next year you can't put a band-aid on our D. It must be fixed

I'm still a bit wary of McClellan as our first pick. Mercilus or Upshaw I'd be very happy with. Or Worthy at #28 as well.

There is also another guy that has sort of dropped out of sight because he's a tweener and not considered mobile enough to be a 3-4 OLB, and that's Nick Perry. The take on Perry has changed.

If Mercilus or Upshaw is not around and Perry is, he could be a very good pick.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ivo... good point. I really think TT is armed to make a move up in either of the first two rounds. The Pack have 10 selections, I think, with 2 in the fourth. I can easily see him move his 2nd and 4th to move up into the middle of the 2nd round. Or, trade the 1st, 3rd, and 4th to move up in the first round. I would love to see him do something like this. We don't need 10 players.

If he moves up in the first, I'm guessing he targets Upshaw or Barron (b/c I think Collins is done).

As for the 2nd rd. pick, I have no clue. There are way too many potential players, and someone will start to slide. That would be when TT makes his move. Maybe a Zach Brown from UNC starts sliding.
I wouldn't move up for Upshaw as his stock is falling. If we got Barron then in rd 2 it's a must to get a ILB/OLB. The 49ers are gearing up & trying to get buff on Offense. I personnally believe they will be our toughest competitor this season. To get Barron we'ed have to move upto at least the top 10 as several teams looking to get him

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

More likely than not, the rookies will not have a huge impact next season. It will instead come from the growth of younger players and changes in defensive schemes.

TT has a very good record drafting late rounds. I would love to see him bring in some of his favorite late round small school prospects he drafts so well.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree. I have stated before I would RATHER get a good DL vs. a ROLB first. Obviously if we got both look out. For one thing the ROLB draws the assignment of beating the left offensive tackle and thats not easy to do consistantly. Teams put their best pass protector over there. Put CM3 there and his production goes down no matter who is on the other side. This is why LOT's make the big bucks.

I love the Hargrove pickup. I live in Alabama and this is Saints country. They loved this guy and said he was constantly after the QB. No, he didn't put them on the ground alot but he consistanly got them on the run. Our DB's will be much better if the QB's aren't allowed to stay in the pocket and the DL did little to flush them out last year. Neither did our ILB blitz schemes. That was another problem. If you bring those guys you have GOT to get pressure our you will pay and our D got their wallets out way to often.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going by http://www.mynfldraft.com/points.php our picks are "worth" (excluding compensatory picks)

Round 1: 660
Round 2:310
Round 3:136
Round 4:37

So we could move up as far as 21 maybe 20 with our 1st 3rd and 4th based on those numbers Would still leave a two picks in the 4th. Would be worth it IMO if someone they really like is still available.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But to give up that much would it be worth it? If you can only move to 21 are you getting a player so much better than what you would get at 28? I doubt it. The real studs are going in the top 10-12. That's where we need to move to if we are going to make a move.

I agree with the poster who said it may just be better to move up further in the second round.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But to give up that much would it be worth it? If you can only move to 21 are you getting a player so much better than what you would get at 28? I doubt it. The real studs are going in the top 10-12. That's where we need to move to if we are going to make a move.

I agree with the poster who said it may just be better to move up further in the second round.

But the point is all you really "Lose" is a 3rd round pick. Is a third round pick worth a missing out on moving up for a guy they really like. To me the answer is No. Interestingly enough the Bengals are sitting on pick number 21 from Carson Palmer. They might be looking to move that pick.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But in the end its all speculation. Hell the way the draft might fall there might not be anyone they like at 20-22 and maybe not even at 28. Then TT would definitely look to move back and grab more picks. All depends on how the cookie crumbles

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the point is all you really "Lose" is a 3rd round pick. Is a third round pick worth a missing out on moving up for a guy they really like. To me the answer is No. Interestingly enough the Bengals are sitting on pick number 21 from Carson Palmer. They might be looking to move that pick.

Well you also said a fourth. But I'd only make that move if there is a guy sitting there you think is so good you can't get him at 28. Maybe someone makes a mistake but I don't think that type of player will be available. The talent pool is probably going to level out after pick 14 or 15. The guys after that are going to be relatively equal.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but with 2 other comp picks in the 4th its not really a loss, and I think that there are a few teams drafting bewteen GB and 20 that are going to be looking into the same positions we are possibly taking off a player high on the draft board.

Members online

Latest posts