Was getting rid of Capers and TT really the solution?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I knew that. But part of me thinks that Mark Murphy discussed with Gute and MM and resolved the matter by compromise. MM didnt want to be a lame duck, nor did Gute. Tough to bring in FAs. MM wanted longer extension for job security, having a new GM who may want his guy. Compromise was 1 year extension and Murphy has HC responsibility.
Plus IIRC McCarthy didn't want Gute for GM, he wanted one of the other guys. Can't remember which one.
Maybe Murphy was afraid there would be some bad blood between them, so he made it his responsibility.

Does Murphy have control over all the head coaches from here on, or does that just apply with McCarthy?
In other words, let's say Murphy fires McCarthy. Can Gute hire a new coach, or does Murphy have to?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Plus IIRC McCarthy didn't want Gute for GM, he wanted one of the other guys. Can't remember which one.
Maybe Murphy was afraid there would be some bad blood between them, so he made it his responsibility.

Does Murphy have control over all the head coaches from here on, or does that just apply with McCarthy?
In other words, let's say Murphy fires McCarthy. Can Gute hire a new coach, or does Murphy have to?
I could be way in left field on this, but my uninformed two cents is that Murphy didn’t want McCarthy canned without his approval. So ultimately, he will have to be the guy that gives the okay to fire him, or perhaps he just does it himself. Either way, has to have his blessing.

I think that’s where it stops. I believe Murphy will allow Gutekunst to hire a head coach afterward.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

He didn't want russ ball.. He prob would have left Ball was actually rumored to get the job..

He prob wanted Schneider from Seattle

Not sure how he felt with Wolf

DCPacker Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at where we are this year compared to past seasons.
We were at or near the top while this time we are just struggling to not be on life support.
We still have a chance but it doesn't look like there is much of one compared to before.

Yes it was time. Capers had Clay in his prime, had Peppers. Pettine has no edge rusher. Which is TT’s fault. TT left the cupboard bare. Packers should have lots of players who are contributing and depth from his last 3 drafts. There are only a handful of guys at best. The new GM is doing all he can to upgrade the talent level. His first draft is definitely a winner. He’s made moves to have 10 picks next year and they have cap room. Next year will be the year

The defense this year is playing good enough to win. Minn if we make that field goal we win, if Montgomery does make his bonehead decision we probably win that game. Seattle was definitely winnable. McCarthy is not **** a great job this year, Aaron is off this year. I don’t know what his issue is, even his body language is different.

DCPacker Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If giving up 29 points is now considered
"Good", than the bar is set very low. Bottom line is the Rams didn't play their best, yet they still got said 29 points.

Thompson left this team in shambles. The fact he was left on as a scout is a disgrace. The man somehow screwd up a gold mine.

I'm starting to think 2010 was an outlier. Good players played over their heads for a month. The fact that type of success wasn't replicated proves as much.

It’s todays NFL. With these rules 29 points is becoming the norm

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't want russ ball.. He prob would have left Ball was actually rumored to get the job..

He prob wanted Schneider from Seattle

Not sure how he felt with Wolf
Tough to say, but I have to believe ball was not prefered.

that will be interesting. Murphy said it was the new structure that other teams were moving towards. I would hope the next HC selection will be mutually agreed to.

Members online

Latest posts