Was getting rid of Capers and TT really the solution?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at where we are this year compared to past seasons.
We were at or near the top while this time we are just struggling to not be on life support.
We still have a chance but it doesn't look like there is much of one compared to before.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at where we are this year compared to past seasons.
We were at or near the top while this time we are just struggling to not be on life support.
We still have a chance but it doesn't look like there is much of one compared to before.
Lol what a silly post after yesterday’s game. I had to reread your post when you said look where we were in the past. Yes look. The defense was atrocious last year .... they were already ranked very highly this year before yesterday. Anyone that watched yesterday’s game and wasn’t impressed with the defense was watching a different game than me. I’m pretty sure Pettine and or Gutenkunst had something to do with that.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TBH Capers would’ve played zone and we would’ve probably got beat 45-20. I haven’t seen the Packers play as much man to man coverage as they did yesterday in like 10
Years. They played good as a unit yesterday...they gave up some plays but I think that was a personnel issue. Tramon Williams shouldn’t be playing more than Josh Jackson, and Clay Matthews should NEVER EVER be out there playing pass coverage. That’s why you have Burks.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The original post does not even match the title.

For Capers, we're at least starting to fix what went to waste under his guidance. Now we still got a few personnel issues to address, and I'm not giving Whitt a pass just yet. But the defense is improving and I believe will get better with even more patience.

Also, Gute is not limiting the avenues to drafts and UDFA/practice rosters for addressing needs the way TT did. He's got the right idea for doing things so I think we did good moving on from TT.

I should remind everyone the Vikes lost last night and the NFC North is wide open, so I say it's ridiculous to say there isn't much of a chance.

We get rid of certain cancer players, we'll be all right.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s going to take time to recover from TT’s last few drafts. Question is will GB rebound while Rodgers still has gas in the tank, but TT HAD to go.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT yes. Capers yes, if only because it removed the major roadblock for people to notice MM's failures.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you expect Gutekunst to just cut 50 players this past offseason and replace them with his own players in a matter of five months and we were going to be favorites for the Super Bowl? It doesn't get any more unrealistic than that. This is going to take time. Whether or not this happens before Rodgers loses his A game is yet to be seen.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It’s hard for me to understand this thread a day after Pettine’s defense does great work against a top two offense and Gutekunst’s top pick has a fantastic outing.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pet's defense played well enough to win that game vs the rams. His blitz actually makes it to the qb. Second half not so much do to the trickery Mcvay played with the defense by rushing his offense out the huddle quick snapping the play and catching our D off gaurd but hey that kudos to good coaching and well disciplined team.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT's last three drafts were a massive bust with only a few exceptions. This team is struggling to overcome TT. It will take more than one season but Gute has been impressive. The real test will be whether Gute can convinve Murphy to dump MM after this season.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s hard for me to understand this thread a day after Pettine’s defense does great work against a top two offense and Gutekunst’s top pick has a fantastic outing.

There are bizarre threads that pop up all over here whenever certain things happen.

For example, when Crosby was in a slump that was 100℅ on him, I go seeing threads popping up saying it was Zook, even though the snaps, holds and every other aspect of the execution was just fine. And then same thing yesterday when certain people started letting Monty off the hook by bringing up Zook again despite him having nothing to do with that.

Now, I'll say I don't exactly care for Zook because I don't always like the way our returns are setup, and I even said last year that I thought he should be on the hot seat. But seems he only comes into the spotlight this season when the issue is an individual player going bad where everything else is working the way it's supposed to.

And yes, I definitely think it's crazy to go talking about our defense not being improved under Pettine. If I had heard we were going to keep the Rams to 27 + a safety, I'd have felt just fine about our chances of winning assuming Rodgers would get the ball last.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol what a silly post after yesterday’s game. I had to reread your post when you said look where we were in the past. Yes look. The defense was atrocious last year .... they were already ranked very highly this year before yesterday. Anyone that watched yesterday’s game and wasn’t impressed with the defense was watching a different game than me. I’m pretty sure Pettine and or Gutenkunst had something to do with that.
With Capers we lose a game. Get rid of him!
With the new guy we lose a game. We are better!
Are we really even though we have a bad record?
If we don't make it to the SB in the next couple of seasons I expect we'll see tons of threads of asking to get rid of the DC.

Another reason why we were really bad last year was because Rodgers was out and McMoron and/or the office refused to bring in a top QB to replace him.
That really showed how the whole team was all on Rodgers and so far it looks like they have not really addressed that seeing how the D is still losing games.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO great work leads to wins not losses.
It's a head scratcher why you guys are willing to give the new guy a break and not Capers even though we don't have a better record at this point when we should have.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have gotten rid of Capers.
I'm saying we were in better spots in the 2016 and previous seasons before with him at this point.
Though I am going by gut feeling without looking up the numbers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's a head scratcher why you guys are willing to give the new guy a break and not Capers even though we don't have a better record at this point when we should have.

I'm saying we were in better spots in the 2016 and previous seasons before with him at this point.

Give him a break? For one, I didn't have anything nice to say about him after the SF game, and I was pretty even handed about his successes and failures before that. But his unit when into LA and did a fantastic job on one of the best offenses in football yesterday.

I don't find your gut feeling to be a very good indicator.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If we don't make it to the SB in the next couple of seasons I expect we'll see tons of threads of asking to get rid of the DC.

Another reason why we were really bad last year was because Rodgers was out and McMoron and/or the office refused to bring in a top QB to replace him.
That really showed how the whole team was all on Rodgers and so far it looks like they have not really addressed that seeing how the D is still losing games.

Did you watch the game? The defense got stops... the offense didn't capitalize. Then Montgomery fumbled. None of it was hard to follow. If the team loses, then everyone was bad?

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give him a break? For one, I didn't have anything nice to say about him after the SF game, and I was pretty even handed about his successes and failures before that. But his unit when into LA and did a fantastic job on one of the best offenses in football yesterday.

I don't find your gut feeling to be a very good indicator.
Wait. With the defense, we win a game, you aren't happy?
We lose a game and you are?
I just dunno how you can be impressed with a defense when we lose the game anyway.
I'll start to be impressed if we win again.

After losses Capers was a "Dud" most of the time.
I haven't seen that yet for What's-His-Name. Petine or whatever?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Wait. With the defense, we win a game, you aren't happy?
We lose a game and you are?
I just dunno how you can be impressed with a defense when we lose the game anyway.
I'll start to be impressed if we win again.

After losses Capers was a "Dud" most of the time.

So if I’m following you, a 48-45 win means the defense played well, but a 10-7 loss means they were unimpressive. Sterling.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I’m pretty sure you should stop calling other people morons

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, it's really mind-boggling that the Packers weren't able to replace Rodgers with another elite quarterback once he went down last season. Last time I checked there are a ton of those guys on the streets waiting for a job :rolleyes:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The original post does not even match the title.

For Capers, we're at least starting to fix what went to waste under his guidance. Now we still got a few personnel issues to address, and I'm not giving Whitt a pass just yet. But the defense is improving and I believe will get better with even more patience.

Also, Gute is not limiting the avenues to drafts and UDFA/practice rosters for addressing needs the way TT did. He's got the right idea for doing things so I think we did good moving on from TT.

I should remind everyone the Vikes lost last night and the NFC North is wide open, so I say it's ridiculous to say there isn't much of a chance.

We get rid of certain cancer players, we'll be all right.

Eventually YES it was...in year one there has been enough improvement to prove that fact. Bad question.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

You do understand the term "residual effect" and how it correlates to what TT and Capers left behind right? You can't just change that over night. If Bill Belichick started coaching the Browns next year, I guarantee you they aren't making it to the Super Bowl. TT and Capers were relieved of their duties because it finally became obvious to the Packers organization that they were sliding downhill. It's going to take both Gute and Pettine time to fix that, but its not happening in the blink of an eye.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Either this dude is trolling, or didn't watch the game. Because nothing is making sense.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's pretty edgy acting like you don't know his name. I bet you read DC comics and were Goth in high school.

This team had holes going into this year with TT. Bad drafts, thin OLB depth, nothing special at WR position beyond Adams, OL depth suspect, still suspect DBs. It was going to take a few years to right the wrongs of TT. They seem to be on a better path and are still competing for the NFC North. Winning and sustaining success is hard in the NFL.. just look at the Eagles and Vikings this year.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If giving up 29 points is now considered
"Good", than the bar is set very low. Bottom line is the Rams didn't play their best, yet they still got said 29 points.

Thompson left this team in shambles. The fact he was left on as a scout is a disgrace. The man somehow screwd up a gold mine.

I'm starting to think 2010 was an outlier. Good players played over their heads for a month. The fact that type of success wasn't replicated proves as much.

Members online