Was anyone else tired of the announcers sobbing over manning last night?

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like a good commonsense rule change to me. only makes sense that the offials are in place b4 the play starts

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, until the rule bites us on the *** when we're in a hurry up offense. That was Manning's big complaint, and I have to agree with it- The new rule totally kills any sense of urgency for the offense in the two-minute or no huddle drills.

Keep in mind, it helped us yesterday, but it could hurt us if we find ourselves needing to come from behind.

I say put some helmets and pads on the refs and move them back.

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
Sure, until the rule bites us on the *** when we're in a hurry up offense. That was Manning's big complaint, and I have to agree with it- The new rule totally kills any sense of urgency for the offense in the two-minute or no huddle drills.

Keep in mind, it helped us yesterday, but it could hurt us if we find ourselves needing to come from behind.

This.......

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno if anyone is watching this Saints/Chargers game, but the Saints just got bit in the *** by this rule too when they tried to hurry the offense and catch the defense unorganized..

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am telling you right now, this rule is going to change. It gives the defense a HUGE advantage and you will see this penalty happen a number of times throughout the season.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Okay, I haven't read the entire rule, but I noticed the umpire was in his 'old' position when the Packers were in their two-minute drill at the end of the first half. What's up with this? Does the umpire go back to the defensive side after the two minute warning or something?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rule applies to both teams. We played a hurry up offense, and we scored a td under 1:30 minutes, and didn't get penalized.

Manning was doing it on purpose.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't notice us in a HUGE hurry, like you would find if you're down a TD with less than 2 minutes to go. Yeah, we ran the two minute drill, but I still think this rule can and will cost teams some wins. The Saints got dinged for it last night when they were trying to get a snap off to avoid a challenge by San Diego. Manning was trying to catch our defense with it's pants down so to speak. He's the master of catching defenses when they're not paying attention, catching too many men on the field, etc. I think this rule kills that.

Plus, the guys at FootballProsLive (If you haven't been over there, definitely check it out. It's Cris Collinsworth's site. Tell them I sent you) did a pretty thorough analysis of the rule and found some serious flaws with it- There's been a big increase in defensive holding (Of course we could benefit as well) but there's also an increase in false starts as defenses bark out dummy snap counts and get offenses to jump.

Of course most of this could be overcome as teams adapt to the new rule, but as it stands now, there's still work to be done.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts