Walker grumbling about contract extension AGAIN...

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its fine if he wants money but do it like a professional go in quietly and talk to the GM you dont need a big public deal with it. ANd dont threaten to hold out if you have a contract honor it

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't blame a player for asking and Walker is a top five WR in NFL *IF* he recovers. He should play a year to prove it then pay him the high bucks if he is OK.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say that Walker needed a dime. You can save your "who needs a $1.000,000 a year" argument for the CEO's who rake in hundreds-of-millions a year while driving their companies into bankruptcy and shipping jobs overseas.

Javon Walker plays in a multi-billion dollar game. You give me a break. As an athlete you spend your life working out trying to make it to the next level.

Last season Javon was shown just how fragile a players career is -- every single player is one play away from the end of his career. It can sneak up at any time.

This is the final year of his contract. His agent would be irresponsible if he did not seed to begin contract negotiations headed into the final season of a contract.

You can all claim the one season B.S. but Walker led the team in yards, ave. per catch, TDs in 2003 and was the man down the stretch that set up their playoff run.

Walker did not say a word in this instance. Rather his agent had a conversation with T.T. both insist that their were no threats.

Like I said, "tempest in a teapot."

Zero2Cool said:
Bruce said:
Is he not entitled to approach this multi-billion dollar business with some self advocacy and looking out for his and his family's well being?

You're a smart guy, well knowledged and yet you have the audacity to state hsi familys well being? Give me a break! Who the hell needs over 1,000,000 dollars annually to support their family? You show me that family and I'll show you a family who needs to get an accountant.

Aside from that statement, Javon does deserve an increase, not to SUPPORT HIS FAMILY but because he's earned it. I would say let the man play this year see how he performs the first half of the season and if its right where he left off, throw some coin at the man, make him happy. Or as some see it, make it so he can support his family. Cuz you know his great great grandchildren shouldn't have to work at all because Pappy Javon was a talented WR!

I like Javon always have except when he hired Drew, then I began to question his antics and comments. He made some immature statements, but **** who's perfect? He in my opinion learned from his mistakes, canned Drew shidphace and from what I know is busting his *** to get back in to camp for the Packers. THE PACKERS!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Give me a break! Who the hell needs over 1,000,000 dollars annually to support their family? You show me that family and I'll show you a family who needs to get an accountant.

You have not dated California women, have you.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tempest in a tea pot is a perfect description of this issue. The whole thing is being overblown simply because there is no "real" football news out there and the scribes need a headline to try to get some attention.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"one play & my career could be over" may be absolutely true but the same can be said about many different careers - factory workers, fishermen, fire fighters, police officers, truck drivers...the list could go on & on. these guys get paid EXTREMELY well & CHOOSE to take that risk everytime they get on the field. walker's seen many players get hurt over the years & i don't think his own injury was some great epiphany for him either. while i enjoy the game of football immensely, these are just regular guys with a God given talent, they are NOT Gods themselves & shouldn't be treated as such - imho!

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Zero2Cool said:
Give me a break! Who the hell needs over 1,000,000 dollars annually to support their family? You show me that family and I'll show you a family who needs to get an accountant.

LOL :D I married one -- and you are correct. Thank God I have done pretty well in life. :wink:

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
"one play & my career could be over" may be absolutely true but the same can be said about many different careers - factory workers, fishermen, fire fighters, police officers, truck drivers...the list could go on & on. these guys get paid EXTREMELY well & CHOOSE to take that risk everytime they get on the field. walker's seen many players get hurt over the years & i don't think his own injury was some great epiphany for him either. while i enjoy the game of football immensely, these are just regular guys with a God given talent, they are NOT Gods themselves & shouldn't be treated as such - imho!

No one has ever said that they are Gods -- and the pay structure is set by this $100s of Billion dollar industry.

So you think that the billions made should simply be divided up amongst the owners -- and the players that you pay to watch should get some small pittance of the profits?

Don't get me wrong -- I think the NFL is out of control, but it is not the players who are blackmailing taxpayers and demanding excessive windfall profits. A players career is generally pretty short -- unlike all of the professions you named above.

Finally, very, very few players if any make it on God given talent -- making it to the next level after college takes incredible dedication and work. You can fantasize otherwise, but I can tell you it takes dedication to all levels of skill development to make it to the NFL. There are tons of guys with God given talent that never sniff a professional paycheck's ink.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree 100% that they work very hard (most of them anyway) but don't the majority of working class people?? there are alot of companies with CEO's making multi-million dollar bonuses off the backs of their employees - is it fair? hell no!! so i guess what i'm saying is don't expect me to feel sorry for walker cause it's not gonna happen.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Proffesional Sports is the only place wehre you are truly paid for your worth or above it. I mean really folks players get a pentance??? I wouldnt consider 235,000 a year minimum for a low grade player a pentance.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bruce said:
CaliforniaCheez said:
Zero2Cool said:

LOL :D I married one -- and you are correct. Thank God I have done pretty well in life. :wink:

lol no but I have dated a woman who was born in California... yea it was expensive.

Bruce. I know an athletes life. I know they train practice etc, their sport IS their life. I also know they go to college, majority of them on a 'free' ride scholarship. These are educated athletes who make millions and THEY determine their lifestyle. The point I was trying to make is this. They do not NEED millions to survive. If they play five years at 500k per and blow out a knee and never play again, well they have that education from college to pick up a new career and work a 9-5 job like most of us.

I do however feel Javon deserves more money. Not because his 'family' needs supported, rather because his on field production warrants it.

I believe I've stated something similar to this already. Javon after say week 8, should get a new contract depending on how his recovering went and production.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
I have to respectfully disagree with both Bruce and Z2C. I feel Walker has not done enough to warrant a raise...yet. He had one GREAT season, but what else? I know he had a good end to the 2003 season, but that isn't merit for a new mega-million dollar contract that J-Walk wants. I would say that if Walker does have a good year next year, then perhaps around week 15 we get the extension done, so it doesn't interefere with any postseason preperation (I THINK THE PACK WILL MAKE IT BACK TO PLAYOFFS! :D ). I know Walker is smart enough to not say something like "I need to feed my family, which I can't do on more than half a million I make", but I feel he needs to show he is back to full strength and there to stay in order to get the new deal he wants, although he has not yet completly earned.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I have to respectfully disagree with both Bruce and Z2C. I feel Walker has not done enough to warrant a raise...yet. He had one GREAT season, but what else? I know he had a good end to the 2003 season, but that isn't merit for a new mega-million dollar contract that J-Walk wants. I would say that if Walker does have a good year next year, then perhaps around week 15 we get the extension done, so it doesn't interefere with any postseason preperation (I THINK THE PACK WILL MAKE IT BACK TO PLAYOFFS! :D ). I know Walker is smart enough to not say something like "I need to feed my family, which I can't do on more than half a million I make", but I feel he needs to show he is back to full strength and there to stay in order to get the new deal he wants, although he has not yet completly earned.

Not a 'mega' contract. A raise in his next contract. Ferguson makes like what four times what Walker earns? Fergy needs a deduct and Walker deserves more. I'm not sayin Moss like bucks. A raise in his next contract is definetely earned.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Who do you think gets the big Free Agent contracts? -- Talented players who show a quick rise to the top.

Look at Green -- half the folks here want to say screw him he is on the downside of his career (at 28).

FA is always a gamble; you evaluate talent and the progress that has been made at achieving upside potential.

I am not claiming that Javon deserves a mega deal -- or even a new contract. Rather that it is not only natural but should be expected that his agent would be working towards an extension that rewards him more than as the 3rd or 4th best wr on the team, which is the current level of his compensation.

The fact that his agent approached T.T. should be seen as a good sign rather than some scandalous behavior that should not be tolerated.

It sounds like some of you want to take your beef with the NFL’s pay structure out on Javon Walker – it is misguided. Even Ted Thompson has said as much.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to respectfully disagree with both Bruce and Z2C. I feel Walker has not done enough to warrant a raise...yet. He had one GREAT season, but what else? I know he had a good end to the 2003 season, but that isn't merit for a new mega-million dollar contract that J-Walk wants. I feel he needs to show he is back to full strength and there to stay in order to get the new deal he wants, although he has not yet completly earned.

Well said. Since 2002 when a first and a second round pick were spent on Walker the guy has had only one good year and that because in 04 both Driver and Ferguson missed time with injuries.

For his 4 year career he has had:

18 starts, 157 catches, 2444 yards receiving 22 touchdowns.

Averaging 4.5 starts a season, 39 catches a season, 607.5 yards a season, 5.5 touchdowns a season.

The Press Gazette today says he had a Wonderlic score of 7.

It's time to go in a new direction and build for the future. Get a contributor instead.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
I have to respectfully disagree with both Bruce and Z2C. I feel Walker has not done enough to warrant a raise...yet. He had one GREAT season, but what else? I know he had a good end to the 2003 season, but that isn't merit for a new mega-million dollar contract that J-Walk wants. I feel he needs to show he is back to full strength and there to stay in order to get the new deal he wants, although he has not yet completly earned.

Well said. Since 2002 when a first and a second round pick were spent on Walker the guy has had only one good year and that because in 04 both Driver and Ferguson missed time with injuries.

For his 4 year career he has had:

18 starts, 157 catches, 2444 yards receiving 22 touchdowns.

Averaging 4.5 starts a season, 39 catches a season, 607.5 yards a season, 5.5 touchdowns a season.

The Press Gazette today says he had a Wonderlic score of 7.

It's time to go in a new direction and build for the future. Get a contributor instead.

I guess we should all ignore that in 2004 he was an All Pro who put up the following numbers:

Javon Walker 89 catches for 1382 yards, with a 15.52 per catch average and 12 Touchdowns -- on top of that he had the fewest drops of any WR in the game that season...

... because that talent is easily duplicated -- right?

The man is an elite receiver. You can pull out the wonderlic score and make excuses for him being the top receiver in 2003 in yards, ave per catch and TDs if you want, but he is clear and away the Packers best receiver. So it sounds like you think that getting rid of talent like that is no problem because it is easy to replace -- RIGHT??? .

Especially since his big sin is simply wanting a new contract -- not holding out, not ******* it like some guys, rather having the audacity to believe he is worth more than he is being paid -- which is significantly less than Driver or Fergy.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tall, lighting fast and great hands -- who needs that on their squad when we can throw to guys like Thurman?

Favre admitted that he spoke out because he knew Walker was a great player and he wanted him on the field.

But who needs great players?

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A one year wonder when the other guys were hurt in 2004.
2002 he was a rookie.
2003 he did not even have 800 yards receiving
2005 got hurt and missed almost all of the season.

We have enough data on the guy to look at career averages, which I posted and are not that good.

He will be signed based on anticipated future performance. Just do not expect much.

Ferguson is much more likely to get cut. He is paid over 2 million a year.
In 5 season has 111 catches(22 a year) 1546 yards(309 a year).
1.4 catches a game for 20 yards are not good numbers.

Walker may get signed but he should not be guaranteed a lot of money.
Ferguson I expect to be cut.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Obviously, I think the salary is a disservice to him," McGuire said.

Earlier in the week, a source close to the situation said either Walker or McGuire had informed team management in the last few weeks that if Walker didn't get a long-term contract he would ask to be traded.

McGuire denied that he had told the Packers that, and Walker couldn't be reached for comment.

General manager Ted Thompson ran into McGuire in January at practices leading up to the East-West Shrine Game in San Antonio but said their discussion didn't contain any threat.

"We're not going to get into specifics about what we talked about but he did not do that first thing you asked," Thompson said. "We had some conversations."

"We want to focus on getting healthy," McGuire said. "Then once he gets healthy, that's a bridge we'll cross when we get to that time."

Sounds to me like a media Bob Marley tune, " stir it up....little darling, stir it up". Where's the facts? A bored media is a dangerous rumor mill. He's concentrating on getting healthy and obviously he's worth more than his current deal.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here's a scenario for ya'..

Walker comes back in '06 and lights up the league like he did in '04 and turns around and tells TT and Packers f*** y** for '07...because they took a "horses' ***" attitude and didn't make any overtures to retain him....

i can't believe some of the attitudes on this board....like if anyone asks for just compensation from the Packers people rip into them because it should just be an honor to play in GB....

that is just ridiculous....

and Z2C...c'mon...$500k a year...for 5 years...

Why doesn't anyone mention what the "owners" are making off of this game...everyone loves to saddle it on the players....Look to the owners...C'mon..these people give their lives to this game..!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Here's a scenario for ya'..

Walker comes back in '06 and lights up the league like he did in '04 and turns around and tells TT and Packers f*** y** for '07...because they took a "horses' ***" attitude and didn't make any overtures to retain him....

i can't believe some of the attitudes on this board....like if anyone asks for just compensation from the Packers people rip into them because it should just be an honor to play in GB....

that is just ridiculous....

and Z2C...c'mon...$500k a year...for 5 years...

Why doesn't anyone mention what the "owners" are making off of this game...everyone loves to saddle it on the players....Look to the owners...C'mon..these people give their lives to this game..!

if my GM pays big bucks to a player who just missed an entire season..i'd be a lot more pissed than if he didn't.

is that what you want him to do? give him a nice, long, fat contract after a serious injury!?!

thats sounds like an awful idea to me P@ck.

Members online