1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

VOTE: Most under-appreciated Packer

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by FrankRizzo, Feb 21, 2011.

?

Most under-appreciated Packer among Packer fans (moreso than the national media)

1. LT Chad Clifton

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. C Scott Wells

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  3. NT/DL Ryan Pickett

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. LB AJ Hawk

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  5. LG Daryn Colledge

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Pretty self-explanatory.

Which of these guys do you feel is the most under-appreciated in terms of leading to our success without getting the accolades and recognition that he should.

2. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
    Voted for Wells.

Though I think Nick Collins could be considered. Sure, he's got Pro Bowls, and he made the big INT in the Super Bowl, but when people are talking about our secondary they ALWAYS talk about Wood and Tramon.

3. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,798
    No doubt Green Bay Packers will chime in here with a cry of "Mason Crosby!" if he's still around. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Clifton. No question imo

• Like Like x 1
  5. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    Down the stretch I say Jarrett Bush, no kidding. He was down at the goal line so many times to pin 'em deep. That's huge. And he came in and performed admirably in place of Wood during the SB. And I still can't stand him. But he'd get my vote for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +420
    Bush was ST captain, so I don't think he was under appreciated by all.

7. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    Just by me then! lol

8. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    Wells, He's one of the smallest Centers in the game, almost lost his Job to Spitz and came back and did a much better job than Spitz did by far. Still gets dogged for his size.

9. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +848
    I chose Pickett. Guy switched positions (NT to DE), played through injury and helped shore up the run defense. DE is a thankless position in the 3-4. He occupied space and let the linebackers roam.

10. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    brett favre isnt available becuz ...

11. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,479

I agree with Bush...

When Woody and Shields went down, I looked at my wife and just said if Bush cant handle this we are done

12. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Good question. He did as much as he possibly could to help the Pack make the SB this year.

13. Croak

Croak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,973
    The center calls out assignment adjustments on the line of scrimmage. He has to be one sharp dude. Scott Wells, hands down.

14. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I agree.... which is why I am surprised by the early results here.... although I like the leader as well.

As for Nick Collins, I thought the fact that he has been voted a Pro Bowl starter a few times pretty much eliminates him from being considered under-appreciated/underrated.

15. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I love Pickett and he is very very very underappreciated. In fact, I think he was jobbed again in the Super Bowl in the Mendenhall fumble. I've watched different angles of that play many times, and I think he's as responsible for causing that ball to pop out as Matthews was.... and nobody even mentions big Grease.

I love Pickett. I've been meaning to write him some fan mail for 3 seasons... still haven't gotten around to it, shame on me. Curse me!

16. packerfan4ever

packerfan4ever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +53
    I choose Hawk he did some good things this year,intercepted a few,it was hard to choose though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Croak

Croak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,973
    I'll make a little more of a case for Wells. A lot of folks don't realize all that a center does. He has to study about as much film as the QB. He has to know all the blocking assignments for all the linemen on every play. So he studies his own playbook and all the line play together. He has to also have his own mechanics down. He is an all around smart guy in a blocking body.

This is from NFL wiki which I think does a fine summary;
    "Centers play an integral part of the offensive line and act as the primary protector of the quarterback after the snap. The center is often referred to as "the smartest person on the field next to the quarterback", in the sense that the center acts as the line's "mind". Before the snap, the center is given the responsibility of assessing the likely action of the defensive team (based on his knowledge of their defensive schemes, as well as the placement and stance of players on the field) and will then often adjust the blocking assignments of all the offensive linemen and the backfield by communicating using audible and visual signals referred to as "line calls".
    On most plays, the center will snap the ball directly into the quarterback's hands. In a shotgun formation, the center snaps the ball to the quarterback lined up several yards behind him.
    After the snap, the center must block defensive players from reaching the ball carrier (on running plays) or the quarterback (on passing plays). On passing plays in particular, the center often must block blitzing defensive players."

18. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,627
    You didn't have the GOODE long-snapper guy on there. I don't recall a bad punt or field goal snap in some time. Very few were off target by a even smidge. His 3 solo tackles this year were a career high.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Texpackerfan

Texpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +22
    I choose AJ Hawk. He's responsible for calling out the plays on the defense and I rarely ever hear anyone give him any accolades. He may not be flashy or get as many as sacks as Bishop or Matthews but he gets the job done. Also, he was on the verge of getting cut or traded earlier in the year. I think people have a hard time giving him credit because he never seemed to live up to his # 1 pick status.

• Like Like x 2
  20. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Hawk. Was the leading tackler on a great defense. He isn't the superstar everyone thought he would be, but has been steady and really played solidly all season, apparently with a wrist injury he's now having surgery on.

• Like Like x 1
  21. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Good results.
    I just think if we lost one of these guys, Clifton would be the one that would cripple our team the most.

Holding anchor on the left side is tough... we all remember what happened to Rodgers vs Minny the games Clifton wasn't there. It was a massacre.