Defense under Barry

Reaction score
Yeah, it's common knowledge that the best way to support a team is being overly optimistic about a defensive coordinator of a struggling unit telling us they had great practices in a press conference :rolleyes:
Hey Practice makes perfect!
I’m getting there :cool:

You just keep on complaining and being critical on short term stuff.. and I’ll keep on in defending my Packers team long term and supporting them in the tough times. I don’t have any problem with it,
it’s just who we are. :tup:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm as unhappy with the team as anyone, but right now the defense ranks fifth in yards and 11th in scoring. That's not terrible.

The defense has played pretty well for stretches but latety has struggled against the Patriots and Giants lately though.

Overall I expected them to perform at a higher level.

What makes our D more under the gun is that our offense has not put up points or time of possession as they have in the last decade. If we had the D is on the field less and our opponents are under the gun.

It was to be expected that the defense will have to carry the team at times this year, especially early in the season. They haven't been up to the task.

Hey Practice makes perfect!
I’m getting there :cool:

You just keep on complaining and being critical on short term stuff.. and I’ll keep on in defending my Packers team long term and supporting them in the tough times. I don’t have any problem with it,
it’s just who we are. :tup:

Please don't confuse me being critical of the team with not supporting them.

I don't take solace in reports out of practice though.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What exactly was the thinking on exercising a 5th year option for one of the worst starting safeties in football?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm as unhappy with the team as anyone, but right now the defense ranks fifth in yards and 11th in scoring. That's not terrible. Of course they have faced a few backup quarterbacks in there and even lost to a third stringer. That's hard to swallow when your own QB is supposedly in the conversation at least for GOAT.
Common theme

Def is usually to blame
if offense scores 10 and lose 11 to 10

Its Def fault.

D

Deleted member 6794

What exactly was the thinking on exercising a 5th year option for one of the worst starting safeties in football?

It was definitely a mistake exercising the option on Savage. You need to ask Gutekunst about the reasoning behind it though ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Common theme

Def is usually to blame
if offense scores 10 and lose 11 to 10

Its Def fault.
They're definitely playing their part though.
Yes the offense has been a weak link all year. We knew it was going to struggle at least to start and they've lived up to that LOL. They are not carrying their weight.
The defense has looked really good at times and not so great at others. I'm sure time on the field etc has something to do with it, but by the same token, did the Jets defense just break? or did they keep it up all game?

It's not like the Jets have some explosive offense. i expected a turnover or 2 in that game. We got zero. TOP was very close, only a couple minutes in their favor. Why wasn't their defense too tired to defend anymore? When the offense did finally get a drive how did our defense respond? by giving up a 5 play 70 yard TD drive and we're right back to a 2 TD deficit. a 30+ yard TD run with guys looking like they wanted nothing to do with playing defense on that play. 2 games in a row now, it seems a switch is just flipped and the D goes into a run around and chase mode rather than attack and tackle.

Our defense is supposed to be our strength. 3 and out would have come in handy there. Yeah, they're not the most culpable part of the team in our losses, but I'm not giving them a pass either. They've had a lot invested in that side of the ball, they should be playing dominate ball, they should be the pillar this team can rely on to start the year until the offense can find some footing with all these new and young guys. But they haven't been.

Members online

Latest posts