Vita vea.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone seems to think we are set on the dline. I don't think so...

I want to forget the days of 2 man fronts and 5,Dlinemen on the roster...

Right now we are stoked to have three studs up front. One one a rookie deal, and one on a one year prove it deal...

All that considered. This would be a great strategic time to stack the dline, and insure we don't have any shortages on talent up front in our new def scheme.

Consider Clark or Daniels get injured... right back to 2 studs again. Or say Wilkerson lays an egg? Or say the big rookie needs a year to become a force like Clark did... if Wilkerson does make a huge difference , do we sell the farm to keep him next year?,or do we draft a replacement now?...

I know we need cb and wr. Couple other positions of depth could be considered. Right tackle... any number of ways to help the team at #14...

But let's not scratch the vea pick right away with the Wilkerson signing..

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with Vea. A bit disappointed because I think there will be someone else I like better. But this game is won in the trenches. You can't have too many of the big uglies.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Payne personally, but I agree with your premise. I still think we're BPA in the first, even if we trade up. We need a blue chip.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I do like Vea and I would have been happy to draft him, 2 things that have or haven't happened in Free Agency changes my thoughts about him. One, we signed Mo Wilkerson, which makes us look pretty solid as well as relatively deep on the DL. Two, we didn't shored up the CB and Edge. So, unless we can do something about those 2 positions between now and the draft, I think Vea would be a luxury we couldn't afford to use our #1 pick on.

Sign 2 FA CB's and use that #1 on Edge.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You’re going to have a hard time forgetting the days of two iDL fronts seeing as how that’s where the whole league is most of the time.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
On Vea, I really like the prospect. I am convinced, looking at various scenarios, that someone I like better will be there at 14 (who plays a position of greater need). Signing Wilkerson made DL even less pressing than it was to begin with. I prefer prospects like Harold Landry and Roquan Smith.

One thing of some concern with him is endurance. I assumed that he was playing 90+% of the snaps at UW as most great big men do in college. Based on that I kind of dismissed the stamina concern. I came to find out that he actually only played about 65% of the snaps, which makes the signs of fatigue on the field more concerning as that’s what you would hope he’d be playing at the next level.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I do like Vea and I would have been happy to draft him, 2 things that have or haven't happened in Free Agency changes my thoughts about him. One, we signed Mo Wilkerson, which makes us look pretty solid as well as relatively deep on the DL. Two, we didn't shored up the CB and Edge. So, unless we can do something about those 2 positions between now and the draft, I think Vea would be a luxury we couldn't afford to use our #1 pick on.

Sign 2 FA CB's and use that #1 on Edge.
We had two studs in Daniels/ Clark most the year last year. And our defense still failed to the point of getting our hof coach fired... we signed Wilkerson to a 1 year deal. Which means we have a 3 pack of Dlinemen that are so good that we have to have 3 man fronts. But still no depth. Still no blue chippers to take the place of the high priced guys.

I wouldn't call it a luxury pick just yet... one torqued ankle away from a necessity imo.

The cb position is a great concern... especially with Burnett in pit now. free agency and draft will be needed to fix the secondary... for sure.
But I'm not convinced we need an edge rusher as bad as everyone believes. In years past, with capers scheme, yes... in this scheme with Dlinemen instead of olbs, doing the dirty work. Having a top tier olb to rush the qb is a luxury. We currently have two. I consider Mathews a top tier guy still, even though his stats and cap status make me sound negative... I think Perry, and Mathews will Basicly run free with the big boys wrecking the oline. A far stretch from capers plan of having a 250-265 pound olb rush against a 310+ pound o tackle...

I'd always , every single time, rather have a quick powerful 300+ pound de or a 325 pound dt/de, who get the olineman pushed back into the pocket every other play, than a olb who gets handled most plays, but breaks around the edge for a sack every other game...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If a solid starter like Lowry is not good enough of a backup for you, then I think you have unrealistic expectations.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see in any way how getting a guy with our 1st pick at our deepest position is a good idea. This seems about as good of an idea as drafting Baker Mayfield with our pick. I understand it's a copycat league and the Eagles d-line was super deep, but when 99.99999% of teams try copying other teams formula they fail.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team didnt just win the super bowl. We dont have the luxuries of continuing our dline crusade even further with top picks.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
It MUST be defense and I think it's gotta be either a DB or a LB....my top choices:

1.) Minkah Fitzpatrick - FS/CB
2.) Leighton Vander Esch - ILB
3.) Harold Landry - OLB
4.) Josh Jackson - CB

* I was gonna add Derwin to this list, however after watching his disappointing season last year coming off the injury, he just never looked like the same explosive player he was his freshman year. He just concerns me big time at the next level.

Last edited:

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It MUST be defense and I think it's gotta be either a DB or a LB....my top choices:

3.) Harold Landry - OLB
4.) Josh Jackson - CB

* I was gonna add Derwin to this list, however after watching his disappointing season last year coming off the injury, he just never looked like the same explosive player he was his freshman year. He just concerns me big time at the next level.

would love Vander Esch but i think our corner hole is going to be so deep that we take one there.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I’m feeling pretty good about one of Ward, Smith, and Landry being there. Those are my guys.

H

HardRightEdge

Another DT? You must be joking.

BPA? That left the building when Graham and Wilkerson were signed.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m feeling pretty good about one of Ward, Smith, and Landry being there. Those are my guys.
Ward is best case scenario, in my opinion. Day 1 starter, could be the next best corner.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with Vea. A bit disappointed because I think there will be someone else I like better. But this game is won in the trenches. You can't have too many of the big uglies.
No swingers in the Amish community?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We had two studs in Daniels/ Clark most the year last year. And our defense still failed to the point of getting our hof coach fired... we signed Wilkerson to a 1 year deal. Which means we have a 3 pack of Dlinemen that are so good that we have to have 3 man fronts. But still no depth. Still no blue chippers to take the place of the high priced guys.

I wouldn't call it a luxury pick just yet... one torqued ankle away from a necessity imo.

The cb position is a great concern... especially with Burnett in pit now. free agency and draft will be needed to fix the secondary... for sure.
But I'm not convinced we need an edge rusher as bad as everyone believes. In years past, with capers scheme, yes... in this scheme with Dlinemen instead of olbs, doing the dirty work. Having a top tier olb to rush the qb is a luxury. We currently have two. I consider Mathews a top tier guy still, even though his stats and cap status make me sound negative... I think Perry, and Mathews will Basicly run free with the big boys wrecking the oline. A far stretch from capers plan of having a 250-265 pound olb rush against a 310+ pound o tackle...

I'd always , every single time, rather have a quick powerful 300+ pound de or a 325 pound dt/de, who get the olineman pushed back into the pocket every other play, than a olb who gets handled most plays, but breaks around the edge for a sack every other game...

You talked about sustaining injuries on the DL and that possibly being an issue, but they still have a starter from last year in Lowery and hopefully a healthy Adams.

You say we are "set" at OLB with Perry and Matthews, so you aren't at all concerned about depth at that position? Do you expect both Perry and Clay to play all 16 games? I wouldn't take that bet. So when one of them goes down, you are left with Biegel and....Fackerell? This may be Clays last year in Green Bay, time to bring in his replacement and a 1st year rotational rookie.....in my humble opinion.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

3.) Harold Landry - OLB
4.) Josh Jackson - CB

He was the most explosive at the combine, 4.48 40in very 11ft broad

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
He was the most explosive at the combine, 4.48 40in very 11ft broad

You're forgetting that explosiveness was a ONE TIME effort and burst for one session at the combine.

His game after game effort and explosion was almost non-existent last year compared to his freshman year. Anybody can throw on a pair of gym shorts and sneakers and be explosive at the combine....that's why there's so many "workout warrior" busts in NFL history. It's how energized and impactful you play the game week in and week out for 4 quarters.

Reaction score
but they still have a starter from last year in Lowery and hopefully a healthy Adams
Exsctly. I think many people forget about Adams maybe because of the poor timing of his injury?
That’s a 3rd rounder who was 1st team SEC in college at 308lbsX4.89X40? Montravious
Adams can play 3Tec or even was projected to play DE due to his quickness and athletic ability. His rise to fame in college happened as soon as he had a stellar DT opposite him who prevented him from being double teamed. He became an animal in the backfield when going 1on1. He was a rookie crowd favorite early and was thought by his own teammates to win a starting role in his Rookie season just before injuring his foot.some compared his style to Warren Sapp. That’s not a name you toss around lightly. Except that Sapp never let up and Adams had been known turn into a slackjaw and take plays off. Warren never did that

Then another 4th round DE investment at 5Tec in Dean Lowry who in his sophomore pro season was just coming into his own and has flashed really nice potential lately. This is also his 3rd season and that’s really where guys start to flourish.
I’m sorry I disagree unless we plan on cutting all these guys in some major shakeup. We don’t need more D line additions day 1 unless every possible worst case scenario happens.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's quite impressive for a 347 lb. man. Offers great scheme versatility. Could even play cornerback. Vita Vea it is, then. ;)
Screw that. A 347lb guy who can run a 4.48! That our franchise RB! He’s just a few pounds heavier than Lacy. Even Jerome Bettis couldn’t Gallup like that! :eek:

H

HardRightEdge

Screw that. A 347lb guy who can run a 4.48! That our franchise RB! He’s just a few pounds heavier than Lacy. Even Jerome Bettis couldn’t Gallup like that! :eek:
jetfixer didn't name the player he was talking about and I don't see any CB that fits that description. So it must be Vita Vea since this is a Vita Vea thread, right?

I've checked Vea's numbers now. He didn't run a 4.48 either. ;)

Members online

Latest posts