Vita vea.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jetfixer didn't name the player he was talking about and I don't see any CB that fits that description. So it must be Vita Vea since this is a Vita Vea thread, right?

I've checked Vea's numbers now. He didn't run a 4.48 either. ;)

He's talking about Derwin James.

D

Deleted member 6794

We had two studs in Daniels/ Clark most the year last year. And our defense still failed to the point of getting our hof coach fired... we signed Wilkerson to a 1 year deal. Which means we have a 3 pack of Dlinemen that are so good that we have to have 3 man fronts. But still no depth. Still no blue chippers to take the place of the high priced guys.

I wouldn't call it a luxury pick just yet... one torqued ankle away from a necessity imo.

The cb position is a great concern... especially with Burnett in pit now. free agency and draft will be needed to fix the secondary... for sure.
But I'm not convinced we need an edge rusher as bad as everyone believes. In years past, with capers scheme, yes... in this scheme with Dlinemen instead of olbs, doing the dirty work. Having a top tier olb to rush the qb is a luxury. We currently have two. I consider Mathews a top tier guy still, even though his stats and cap status make me sound negative... I think Perry, and Mathews will Basicly run free with the big boys wrecking the oline. A far stretch from capers plan of having a 250-265 pound olb rush against a 310+ pound o tackle...

I'd always , every single time, rather have a quick powerful 300+ pound de or a 325 pound dt/de, who get the olineman pushed back into the pocket every other play, than a olb who gets handled most plays, but breaks around the edge for a sack every other game...

The Packers will continue to mostly line up with only two defensive linemen on the field because opposing offenses lining up with three plus receivers on most plays force defense to use five defensive backs. With that being said the team is set on the DL with Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson, Lowry and Adams.

It's definitely not a luxury to have top tier outside linebacker to rush the quarterback. Unfortunately it's unrealistic to expect both Matthews and Perry to stay healthy all season. Therefore the Packers are in dire need of adding quality depth at the position as Biegel, Fackrell, Gilbert and Odom definitely don't cut it.

It MUST be defense and I think it's gotta be either a DB or a LB....my top choices:

1.) Minkah Fitzpatrick - FS/CB
2.) Leighton Vander Esch - ILB
3.) Harold Landry - OLB
4.) Josh Jackson - CB

* I was gonna add Derwin to this list, however after watching his disappointing season last year coming off the injury, he just never looked like the same explosive player he was his freshman year. He just concerns me big time at the next level.

The Packers drafting VanderEsch at #14 would be an unnecessary reach. I would definitely prefer to use the team's first rounder on any of the other prospects you mentioned.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Second round he would be nice i'm thinking.

I like Vander Esch, but he seems like a reach at 14 and probably won't be available when the Packers pick in the 2nd, unless they really like him and trade up.

Now if Roquan Smith is there at 14....sign me up!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Id also consider working a draft trade for a Veteran. I’m expecting Gutey to continue his aggression right into draft day.
The only place I don’t necessarily like trading is in the early 1st round because the point conversion thing goes right out the window.
I’m completely an advocate of trading into the end of the 1st or moving into the early second where there are guys who got overlooked and could likely contribute immediately. I also like the 5th year option on 1st rounders.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
Vander Esch will not make it past the mid to late 1st round boys.....hate to break to you. Now I wouldn't mind a SLIGHT trade back and still grab Leighton, but you won't get this guy past the mid to late 1st round. He's Brian Urlacher but better in coverage and more athletic. Kid is gonna be a stud ILB in the NFL

D

Deleted member 6794

45 + 76 gets us into the late 20's, maybe with one of the 5th rd comps for a sweetener.

I don't consider inside linebacker one of the most pressing needs on the roster and therefore wouldn't want the team to trade up for VanderEsch.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vander Esch is the same as one of the best and most versatile linebackers in the past two decades, but even better!!

Spoiler: he's not.

If you want the guy who's most similar to Urlacher, that would be Edmunds.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
45 + 76 gets us into the late 20's, maybe with one of the 5th rd comps for a sweetener.

I'd be ok with this because I'm super high on LVE. I honestly think he's the best MLB in this class and I know a lot of people will say Roquan, but as a huge Bulldog fan, he's so weak at the second level. Here, take a look at the first four minutes of this video and it illustrates my point.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vander Esch will not make it past the mid to late 1st round boys.....hate to break to you. Now I wouldn't mind a SLIGHT trade back and still grab Leighton, but you won't get this guy past the mid to late 1st round. He's Brian Urlacher but better in coverage and more athletic. Kid is gonna be a stud ILB in the NFL
I like him, but not nearly as much as you apparently do. I think its Emunds with a small lead over Smith. From there it's a slight step down to LVE. But he only started 1 year and improved through the season. Very similar to TJ Watt last season. He is still developing and that's definitely enticing. The thing with Edmund's, he is only 19 and still developing physically. I would not be surprised if he isn't making a Von Miller type impact in 3 years. His ceiling is much higher than either of the others.

I think LVE goes at the end of the first round 25 - 30. But not impossible for him to make it to the 2nd round. Unlikely we have a shot at him in the 2nd.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vander Esch struggles with blockers for his size. He has the attributes, but first round? Count me out.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd be ok with this because I'm super high on LVE. I honestly think he's the best MLB in this class and I know a lot of people will say Roquan, but as a huge Bulldog fan, he's so weak at the second level. Here, take a look at the first four minutes of this video and it illustrates my point.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Thanks PB, you may have just swung my opinion of Roquan Smith slightly with that video. NFL offensive coordinators are going to look at that tape and know exactly how to neutralize Smith. Can Smith get bigger and stronger to keep off blocks? I don't know, NFL O-lineman are bigger and faster than most of the college guys. Smith is definitely going to have to play Will LB in the NFL and that does fit with what Pettine will probably run. With the Packers strengthening their DL, that could help keep Smith clean from blocks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fwiw, almost all coverage LB's are going to struggle with getting off blocks.

Which is why I said "slightly" changed my opinion of Smith. I obviously had watched his "highlights" prior to watching that video. The guy is a beast if he is free to roam, but yeah, if you get a blocker on him, he is toast. I still think with the Packers improved DL, he might be the speed ILB alongside Martinez that makes this defense much faster and harder for teams to sneak outside on at the LOS. Towards the end of that video, the Packers are one of only a handful of teams that this particular "scout" felt were a good fit for Smith.

D

Deleted member 6794

Vander Esch struggles with blockers for his size. He has the attributes, but first round? Count me out.

In my opinion Vander Esch is a borderline first round talent. The Packers drafting him at #14 would definitely be a reach. He will most likely be gone at the point the team is on the clock in the second round though.

Members online

Latest posts