Vikings moving to Los Angeles?

How would you feel if the Vikings moved to Los Angeles?

• Fine, LA is 10x the size of MN & fans have been very bandwagony. + 1 more warm-weather trip for us!

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Bad move. keep them in Minny despite the bad political red tape and the bandwagon fans there

Votes: 17 60.7%

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

How would you feel?
Most of us know that they have bad fans on average, a lot of fair-weather fans.

Season tickets, single-game tickets are always available every year. Sure when they are doing great, like the 1998 season when they went 15-1, then they sell out.,

But would you feel badly for their few loyal fans if they packed up and moved to Los Angeles?
Of course I would to some extent because they do have some die-hard loyal fans.

But I lived in Minnesota for many years, and those fans are cheap, and bandwagony. They should be no different than us, who have been sold out for decades including thru the horrible awful 1970's and 1980;s... over 20 years of bags-over-our-head-bad seasons.

Not so in Minny. They've had plenty of home games blacked out there, and many more that were saved from blackout at the last minute from corporate buying.

I think regarding the Minnesota stadium situation: It's the fourth quarter. Two-minute warning. Tie game. I don't care that the commissioner says there's no threat, or no implied threat, about the Vikings leaving town if a new stadium doesn't get built. There is a threat.

If the local pols don't vote for a new place in the next two or three months, there's a very good chance the team will actively look to move. "I've been here several times on the stadium front over the years,'' Roger Goodell told the Minneapolis Star Tribune on a visit to town Friday. "In 2006, they moved forward with a stadium for the Twins and the Gophers. We were asked to move to the next year. And it's now 2012."

I can tell you this: The league doesn't want the Vikings to move; the franchise is a tremendous one, with tradition and a foothold in an area of the country the league doesn't want to lose. Getting a team back in Minnesota will be tougher than it was 15 years ago when the league worked to get the Browns back in Cleveland. The economy's different. The political environment to build stadiums is far different. This week will be a telling one for the future of the Vikings in Minnesota.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/22/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1suwLEd3k

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that Viking superfan I believe drives down from Canada for games. Its going to be a hell of a drive for him.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does this sound: The Los Angeles Vikings?

Probably not too good to the people of Minnesota, who lost their professional basketball team to the City of Angels in 1960 and are moving perilously close to losing their professional football team, too. They also lost their beloved NHL team, the North Stars, to Dallas in the 1990's, and Minnesota is a hockey state.

The NFL does not want Minnesota to lose its franchise, but it is time for lawmakers there to make a decision on whether to replace the aging Metrodome. Yes or no? Goodell traveled to Minneapolis on Friday to talk with the state legislature about the importance of figuring out a way to fund and build a new stadium.

The league and the team aren't willing to wait anymore.
Goodell didn't make any threats about relocating the team, but his visit made it clear that the league has lost its patience. The Vikings must have a new stadium.

The Metrodome is well beyond being outdated. Goodell encouraged lawmakers to come up with a new plan before their legislative session ends April 30. While the league wants the Vikings to stay in Minnesota, it also desperately wants a team back in Los Angeles, and the Vikings could end up being the right fit.

-ESPN

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really care, to be honest. I'll still hate the Vikings in their new city, and new rivalries will be created should another team be placed in our division, which means new teams to hate. Speaking of which, is it certain that a new team will be put into our division? I mean, I know it makes sense, but the Cowboys, who arguably should be in the NFC South, are still in the NFC East while the Panthers, who would be more fitting for the NFC East, reside in the NFC South. It's not necessarily a given the Vikings will jump to the NFC West.

Besides, if they move to LA, that means more of an opportunity for me to see the Packers play in a meaningful game more than once every 8 years, so the selfish part of me isn't opposed to the idea.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Vikes won't be leaving. Even if they did they wouldn't call them the LA Vikings. Change the name to the LA Dudes. but since Chargers or Rams are going to beat them to it the NFC north will be intact.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't really feel bad for the fans, but I'd miss the rivalry.

We don't know for certain the rivalry will go away though. Look at my Panthers/Cowboys example from above. It's not entirely a given the Vikings would go to a different division.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NEW NFC NORTH:
Green Bay
Chicago
Detroit
St Louis

NEW NFC WEST:
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Arizona

Geographically, it makes more sense for the NFC West than it does now.
For us, it's not bad as it's a drivable trip to St Louis from both Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa where there are a lot of Cheeseheads.
And it's closer to St Louis than it is Texas, for some of us in the South like me in Texas!

While I would feel a little bad for my good friends who are die-hard Viking fans (they are rare), the ironic thing is even though they and I grew up in Minnesota, they too fled Minnesota and these 3 guys live in: Arizona, Nashville, and Tampa! They can't b*tch at the Vikings following suit and fleeing that cheap cold state!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
How would you feel?
Most of us know that they have bad fans on average, a lot of fair-weather fans.

Season tickets, single-game tickets are always available every year. Sure when they are doing great, like the 1998 season when they went 15-1, then they sell out.,

But would you feel badly for their few loyal fans if they packed up and moved to Los Angeles?
Of course I would to some extent because they do have some die-hard loyal fans.

But I lived in Minnesota for many years, and those fans are cheap, and bandwagony. They should be no different than us, who have been sold out for decades including thru the horrible awful 1970's and 1980;s... over 20 years of bags-over-our-head-bad seasons.

Not so in Minny. They've had plenty of home games blacked out there, and many more that were saved from blackout at the last minute from corporate buying.
OOH OOH, give the NFCN Cinci so we can face the Lions, tigers, and Bears! OH MY!!!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
NEW NFC NORTH:
Green Bay
Chicago
Detroit
St Louis

NEW NFC WEST:
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Arizona

Geographically, it makes more sense for the NFC West than it does now.
For us, it's not bad as it's a drivable trip to St Louis from both Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa where there are a lot of Cheeseheads.
And it's closer to St Louis than it is Texas, for some of us in the South like me in Texas!

While I would feel a little bad for my good friends who are die-hard Viking fans (they are rare), the ironic thing is even though they and I grew up in Minnesota, they too fled Minnesota and these 3 guys live in: Arizona, Nashville, and Tampa! They can't b*tch at the Vikings following suit and fleeing that cheap cold state!
St Louis? That makes as much sense as Indy in the AFCS, Balt in the AFCN, and Dall in the NFCE.
What happened to the L.A. Jaguars?

They moved to Vegas.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
We don't know for certain the rivalry will go away though. Look at my Panthers/Cowboys example from above. It's not entirely a given the Vikings would go to a different division.
The NFL has a history of maintaining traditional rivalry's, hence Cowboys in the east and Rams in the west so there could be a chance the Vikes would stay in the north.

My money is that the Chargers and or Raiders will end up in LA eventually. They already have a huge fan base here. And Minneapolis already gave up one team to LA. I think in the end the Vikes get their stadium.

NACHOMAN

Sailing the seas of cheese
Reaction score
In a selfishly perfect world the Vikings would move to L.A. stay a division rival and I would be able to watch the Pack for at least one game 30 miles from my house every year. Not to mention how many Left coast Packer fans would take over the stadium while the people of L.A. are trying to muster up some conviction. They could were their Laker purple and be very very quite and leave the game early if the players didn't play to their perfection. A new stadium would warrant that a SuperBowl would be held in California, because they will never have one at Old Jack Murphy and the power failures at CandleStick are a joke. Oakland not. I don't think its going to happen that way, but I can dream.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
In a selfishly perfect world the Vikings would move to L.A. stay a division rival and I would be able to watch the Pack for at least one game 30 miles from my house every year. Not to mention how many Left coast Packer fans would take over the stadium while the people of L.A. are trying to muster up some conviction. They could were their Laker purple and be very very quite and leave the game early if the players didn't play to their perfection. A new stadium would warrant that a SuperBowl would be held in California, because they will never have one at Old Jack Murphy and the power failures at CandleStick are a joke. Oakland not. I don't think its going to happen that way, but I can dream.
I didn't even think about that. That would be awesome. Even if the Vikes moved here they might keep them in the NFC North just like they kept the Rams in the NFC West. Its a traditional rivalry and the NFL likes Traditional rivalry's. It would be another home field advantage game for the Pack (See San Diego 2011). And we would get a game once a year. I am right there dreaming with you. Today I am writing to the Minnesota Legislator and tell them they have bridges falling down. they can't afford to waist money on a new stadium.

Lets start at bring the Vikes to LA movement. Keep the Raiders and their gang bangers in Oakland.

NACHOMAN

Sailing the seas of cheese
Reaction score
I didn't even think about that. That would be awesome. Even if the Vikes moved here they might keep them in the NFC North just like they kept the Rams in the NFC West. Its a traditional rivalry and the NFL likes Traditional rivalry's. It would be another home field advantage game for the Pack (See San Diego 2011). And we would get a game once a year. I am right there dreaming with you. Today I am writing to the Minnesota Legislator and tell them they have bridges falling down. they can't afford to waist money on a new stadium.

Lets start at bring the Vikes to LA movement. Keep the Raiders and their gang bangers in Oakland.
Anything is posible. Hey, how low you think those preseason tickets are going to drop for S.D.? I sat in field 15 last year, and the seats were close for endzone action. Im looking for more middle of the field but dont want an obstructed view or be to far away. What would you recomend.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't even think about that. That would be awesome. Even if the Vikes moved here they might keep them in the NFC North just like they kept the Rams in the NFC West. Its a traditional rivalry and the NFL likes Traditional rivalry's. It would be another home field advantage game for the Pack (See San Diego 2011). And we would get a game once a year. I am right there dreaming with you. Today I am writing to the Minnesota Legislator and tell them they have bridges falling down. they can't afford to waste money on a new stadium when people are falling into rivers.

That's hilarious!
Every Packer fan living in MinnaSoda should write their legislator there with those messages!

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
St Louis? That makes as much sense as Indy in the AFCS, Balt in the AFCN, and Dall in the NFCE.
St Louis and Chicago are natural rivals and close enough to each other that team fans often drive to the other's city for games.
St Louis and Milwaukee are rivals enough in baseball... the cities aren't that far apart. Closer together than Seattle is from Arizona. Try making the drive from Tucson to Seattle once.

Packer fans in WI, IL, IA, or MN can easily make the drive to St Louis. I once did for a Packer game there years ago. Easy drive.
But I could live with the Los Angeles Vikings staying in the NFC North.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really care one way or the other, though I would find the wailing and gnashing of teeth by Viqueen fans hillarious.

Difference between Panther/Dallas/Indy/Balt is that they are all in either the same timezone or one different. It doesn't matter as much for the teams on a regular basis. However, the LA is 2 different from Green Bay/Chicago and 3 different from Detroit. THAT alone would make them do a switch with the Rams. The only other teams that make sense from a geographical stand point are Indy, Cleveland and Cincy and I don't see any of them switching Conferences let alone divisions.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't really care one way or the other, though I would find the wailing and gnashing of teeth by Viqueen fans hillarious.

Difference between Panther/Dallas/Indy/Balt is that they are all in either the same timezone or one different. It doesn't matter as much for the teams on a regular basis. However, the LA is 2 different from Green Bay/Chicago and 3 different from Detroit. THAT alone would make them do a switch with the Rams. The only other teams that make sense from a geographical stand point are Indy, Cleveland and Cincy and I don't see any of them switching Conferences let alone divisions.
Considering the size of the time zones, I'd say your argument is invalid, but I agree that trans-conference is unlikely.

PalmettoPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if you are a Minnesota fan who do you start pulling for? Do you start pulling for the Packers or another team that is close to you? Do you stop following the NFL and put more money into the Gophers?

The Golden Gophers might be the ones that benefit the most from this move. They become the #1 football show in town and would get more fan support and money.

Latest posts