Views on Draft Picks from a "Former Scout"...

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Take them for what they maybe worth.. a said "un-named" former scout..

I still think Finley will have some impact this year... a couple of seem splitter type plays.

Some people insist that you can’t tell much about a football player from offseason workouts, but we’re not so sure about that. Based on nothing more than seeing the players in shorts, it was obvious that Nick Barnett, Greg Jennings and James Jones were going to be quality pros.

JORDY NELSON: “There’s no ‘wow’ factor with Nelson, but he should develop into a solid pro. I’d be surprised if he makes much of an impact early in his career.

PAT LEE: “I don’t have a strong opinion either way. Lee certainly has good size and above-average athletic ability, but I’m not sure about his instincts. He gave up a lot of catches to young wide receivers who probably won’t be around come September

JEREMY THOMPSON: “A player as big, smart and athletic as Thompson should’ve been drafted on day one. He lasted until the fourth round because he didn’t make enough plays in college - and that exact same problem reared its head all spring. I’m not ready to write him off, but it’s never a good sign when a player this physically talented doesn’t stand out against a bunch of young offensive linemen who will probably be selling insurance in two months.”

JOSH SITTON: “I didn’t love this pick back in April, but he’s starting to grow on me. Sitton’s a bit more athletic than I originally thought, and he’s one tough SOB.

OVERVIEW: "A team as deep and talented as Green Bay can't expect to get much immediate help from the draft - especially when its first selection wasn't until the second round. I thought Nelson and Sitton were fairly impressive throughout the spring, but none of the rookies really stood out.

More.. Author asks that the whole article not be copied.. but nothing about a good share...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So there are no real standouts yet. Fair enough. But sometimes rookies don't begin to emerge until they put the pads on. Hopefully that will happen with at least a couple of these guys.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is - that's fine. I like our starters. We need depth (and of course competition so none of our starters take their jobs for granted).

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So basically he hates every pick .

Nah, I don't think he hates them. He just doesn't see any of them standing out from the crowd yet, as sometimes happens during the minicamps. This report is consistent with what I've read from other journalists who've watched the practices, but it doesn't mean that none of these players will emerge as solid contributors in training camp or during the season.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fact 1. Ted Thompson knows how to draft.
fact 2. this year's picks won't make an immediate splash.

Conclusion - Ted has built a team that doesn't have to rely on rookies to salvage the upcoming season.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training camp hasn't even started so it's fairly unrealistic to get a good impression of what a player will be this early on, however, bad players do tend to stand out quite soon, so it's good none of them got that poor of reviews.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
fact 1. Ted Thompson knows how to draft.
fact 2. this year's picks won't make an immediate splash.

I don't know about that one. There always seems to be one guy, usually not a first or second rounder who is like "Hey, look at me! I'm pretty good!"

I actually expect that guy to be Jordy, as a kick returner and a guy who will get more snaps than people thought at WR.

We'll see.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not worried. The new kids are just beginning to learn the playbook. It takes time......LOTS of time, to go from college to the playbook of an NFL team. Preseason is where we will see who has or hasn't picked it up.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm familiar with this site that this article came from Pack93z. Are you sure the article was authored by a "former scout" and not just an opinionated blogger? Just curious.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
I'm familiar with this site that this article came from Pack93z. Are you sure the article was authored by a "former scout" and not just an opinionated blogger? Just curious.

Oh I really don't know.. he claims they are the opinions of a former scout... but I have no idea either way.. just another viewpoint regardless.

I have read quiet abit of his rumor or shhhh what they are saying posts.. most seem to be ligit and come to light..

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. Personally I'm rooting for Jordy Nelson to be our best rookie this season. Interesting that he thinks Finley might be #3, but it's too early to say that Humphrey has earned the #2. I also don't see Brohm losing #2. Not to Flynn anyway.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is, we don't NEED anyone to stand out. What we need is our current crop of players to stay healthy and the rookies to give us depth.

If I want anything from the rookies to stand out, it would be on special teams. We could use a few more TDs on returns.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the comment about not thinking Brohm is going to hold the number two spot. Who is going to take it from him?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the comment about not thinking Brohm is going to hold the number two spot. Who is going to take it from him?

It's safe to assume that he's thinking the Packers will sign a vet for the #2 spot if Brohm is not up to the job as a rookie. That wouldn't be too much of a surprise.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Greg C. said:

It's safe to assume that he's thinking the Packers will sign a vet for the #2 spot if Brohm is not up to the job as a rookie. That wouldn't be too much of a surprise.

Agreed, I anticipate that they will be bringing in a vet between now and training camp.. heck they offered CPep a contract.. just makes sense to bring in someone as an insurance policy.. Brohm beats them out.. great.. if not, he gets a year of seasoning..

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I think that's what will happen anyway. Flynn will probably wind up on the practice squad.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:

I think that's what will happen anyway. Flynn will probably wind up on the practice squad.
Anyone have any ideas on WHO they could bring in? I don't even know what vets are available.

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas on WHO they could bring in? I don't even know what vets are available.

Maybe Jared Lorenzen, recently released by the Giants?

Knowing Ted, I wouldn't be surprised if he is waiting for a veteran to be released in the final roster cuts. Ted has shown the ability to find serviceable talent on waviers.

Reaction score
Last year, I don't think many thought Aaron Rouse would be a game changer, or at least I don't remember anyone saying Rouse would be an immediate playmaker. He still had a bit to learn, and a transition to the pro game to make.

But when called upon, Rouse did make plays. While I won't expect all the draft picks to come up with sensational plays when given a chance, I do expect them to do something positive with their opportunities.

Nelson, Lee, Finley, and Thompson will all be given reps on ST, and some reps on Offense or Defence respectively. As long as they show they aren't completely in over their heads (see Ahmad Carrol, Joey Thomas) I'll be happy.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since69 said:
Greg C. said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:

In the past MM has worked with Todd Bouman, Tim Rattay, Craig Nall, Aaron Brooks etc so maybe one of these guys.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Maybe Jared Lorenzen, recently released by the Giants?

Absolutely no way. MM will scream at TT if TT brought in Lorenzen. MM wants his QBs at 7% body fat, not 40%.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The opposite point of seeing an athlete in shorts is seeing a football player in pads.
It's easy to say NOW that the Barnett's and Jenning's were easy to spot as players even in their shorts but the bottom line is it doesn't mean squat until they put the pads on.

He doesn't say anything about all the guys that look great in shorts but suck when the pads come on and there is plenty of those guys.

About all we know from what they have been able to show as pro's so far is who would be great flag league players. The real deal is coming soon enough.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way, if we brought in anyone at QB (assuming a QB went down), my money would be with Craig Nall. If Rodgers goes down, the season is screwed anyways. Brohm may have potential but rookie QBs never do that well.

Members online

Latest posts