VERY Early Stab At Predicting the 2021 53 Man Roster

D

Deleted member 6794

Did you honestly for Hollman?

No, I definitely didn't expect the Packers to receive any compensation for Hollman at all.

Yes, but he doesn't have to sign with our practice squad, which was the point I was trying to make (admittedly a little dense.)

After we cut him, assuming he clears wavers, he's free to sign with anyone's practice squad (I know you know this, clarifying in case anyone is following along.)

You're right that a player clearing waivers is free to sign with any team. Mostly the ones not getting an offer to join another team on an active roster prefer to sign with the team's practice squad they spent camp with though.

I understand money could be a factor with Benkert but the Packers could match any offer from another team.

Pretty sure we could pull a 4th rounder from the Cowboys as Sternberger is way better than any TE they currently have on their roster. Trust me, old Jerry is getting very senile down there and has never shied away from opening up the bank all the way.

I'm willing to bet 500 grand we could fleece old Jerry down there with a 4th rounder at minimum for Sternberger and Mike McCarthy would also be all in on it.

As mentioned before I don't believe Sternberger has a significant value in a trade.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
*Anyone else tired of JK Scott..? I really feel like our Punter is currently on another team.
I think he may be punting for his job in Buffalo. While the guy has a good leg, his missed kicks are too frequent and his net punting average was a dismal 37 yds last season, which was 28th in the league.

I am not going to judge the special teams until the regular season, because I am sure it is hell for the Special teams coach to try and mix in 40 or so guys on special teams. However, since Drayton was already the assistant ST coach under fired Shawn Mennenga, I hope he is on a very short leash.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Pretty sure we could pull a 4th rounder from the Cowboys as Sternberger is way better than any TE they currently have on their roster.
I highly doubt it. Sternberger is suspended for the first 2 games and hasn't done much at all in 3 years. A whopping 12 catches for 114 yards and 1 TD. As we have seen every year, its a feeding frenzy in the NFL during final cutdowns. Nobody is going to be willing to give up much for a TE that hasn't done a thing in GB and probably will eventually be cut by the Packers.

Maybe a team that likes him would throw a 6th or 7th rounder at the Packers, but I even doubt that. The one thing that might save him or give him more trade value is the 2 game suspension. I believe he is a roster exemption until after that second game. So if the Packers or another team have injuries at TE, he might luck out and stay in Green Bay or be traded for some value.

I think he gets another chance to prove himself, just not sure that it will be with the Packers.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt it. Sternberger is suspended for the first 2 games and hasn't done much at all in 3 years. A whopping 12 catches for 114 yards and 1 TD. As we have seen every year, its a feeding frenzy in the NFL during final cutdowns. Nobody is going to be willing to give up much for a TE that hasn't done a thing in GB and probably will eventually be cut by the Packers.

Maybe a team that likes him would throw a 6th or 7th rounder at the Packers, but I even doubt that. The one thing that might save him or give him more trade value is the 2 game suspension. I believe he is a roster exemption until after that second game. So if the Packers or another team have injuries at TE, he might luck out and stay in Green Bay or be traded for some value.

I think he gets another chance to prove himself, just not sure that it will be with the Packers.

Well, am I overselling him a bit? Ok maybe.

Also, it's technically 15 catches with 2 TDs if you count his playoff action in 2019.

Perhaps I'm going away from the numbers here. I see him as a fairly fast TE with pretty decent height and he does get open pretty well. Sometimes just looks downfield before completing the catch.

My reason for wanting to trade him isn't because I think he's bad but just more that I see his role being much less in the offense going forward and he's not a special teams guy.

We drafted him back when Jimmy Graham was still here knowing we were going to probably send Graham packing after that year and not really knowing who our no. 1 TE was going to be. Well, obviously Tonyan has ended that debate and isn't going to be unseated going forward.

Anyway, I just figure even if we do hang on to Sternberger and he doesn't get hurt, he will not be targeted as much as Tonyan or Lewis, and if you figure our need for his services is low atm, then pitch him off to another team that's weak at TE and let him go for their number 1 spot. I definitely would say there are a few teams who are depleted at TE, namely Dallas, Seattle, LA Chargers etc.

Now, one more lengthy injury for him might be a strikeout, but I gotta feel like at least one of those teams would throw something for him.

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also, it's technically 15 catches with 2 TDs if you count his playoff action in 2019.

Perhaps I'm going away from the numbers here. I see him as a fairly fast TE with pretty decent height and he does get open pretty well. Sometimes just looks downfield before completing the catch.

My reason for wanting to trade him isn't because I think he's bad but just more that I see his role being much less in the offense going forward and he's not a special teams guy.

We drafted him back when Jimmy Graham was still here knowing we were going to probably send Graham packing after that year and not really knowing who our no. 1 TE was going to be. Well, obviously Tonyan has ended that debate and isn't going to be unseated going forward.

Anyway, I just figure even if we do hang on to Sternberger and he doesn't get hurt, he will not be targeted as much as Tonyan or Lewis, and if you figure our need for his services is low atm, then pitch him off to another team that's weak at TE and let him go for their number 1 spot. I definitely would say there are a few teams who are depleted at TE, namely Dallas, Seattle, LA Chargers etc.

Now, one more lengthy injury for him might be a strikeout, but I gotta feel like at least one of those teams would throw something for him.

i guess I keep him because Lewis will hit a wall anyday, sorry.
Dude is getting old is my point.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think Sternberger could pull a 7th rounder or conditional late rounder and Dallas would make the most sense to put feelers out there for. Actually if they had a capable second punter headed for cut I’d swap players now as in today and see what punter can do against Bills.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i guess I keep him because Lewis will hit a wall anyway.

Sternberger in zero way can do the role Lewis does….Tonyan of the guys that will stay is most capable and even he cannot really to same degree.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sternberger in zero way can do the role Lewis does….Tonyan of the guys that will stay is most capable and even he cannot really to same degree.

I guess I see Sternberger as the most balanced TE. Lewis is the beef, Tonyan the flex, and Stern at least can do both.

And excluding Degura, since none of the others are really a good H Back.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i guess I keep him because Lewis will hit a wall anyday, sorry.
Dude is getting old is my point.

The problem is ... Well ok Lewis does sometimes go out for some big catches like what we saw against New Orleans last year when he caught that TD and a few other scattered occasions. But his primary role has been for run and screen pass blocking, which thus far are two elements Sternberger is not cut out for. We have Kafusi who has about the identical size to Lewis, and assuming nobody was tracking him could easily be put on the practice roster this year and if Lewis retires after this season would be a logical replacement for him.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think Sternberger could pull a 7th rounder or conditional late rounder and Dallas would make the most sense to put feelers out there for. Actually if they had a capable second punter headed for cut I’d swap players now as in today and see what punter can do against Bills.
Dallas or Seattle. I was looking at the Seahawks TE regime and their number 1 so far is Gerald Everett who isn't exactly a premium player.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This

I guess I see Sternberger as the most balanced TE. Lewis is the beef, Tonyan the flex, and Stern at least can do both.

And excluding Degura, since none of the others are really a good H Back.

You'd be wrong as Deguara would be the flex.

As I have said many times Tonyan is number 1 and it's not even open for debate ... Period!! If we were smart we'd quickly lock him up on a $40 million 5 year deal.

As I said, Sternberger does have good stuff, but Tonyan is Rodgers's guy and that is not going to change, ever!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Whether it's true or not, I remember reading an article that Sternberger hasn't impressed anyone with his ability to block or his grasping of the playbook. Given the way MLF uses TE's, I just see him as the odd man out. Doesn't really matter that he was a 3rd round pick. Even his position coach Justin Outten was rather harsh when talking about his lack of consistency.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why I might be calling up Jerry Jones or John Schneider because he might be a better fit for for their systems, which I would guess aren't as complex for TEs, plus he would have an even better shot at getting to TE1 or at least TE2 at minimum.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there a team with deep punter competition...?
We should just pick up Thomas Morstead.

I'll tell ya one thing, we have a track record of dumping good punters and picking up losers.

Well, ok maybe not entirely as Tim Masthay did stick around for 6 years which isn't bad considering we've often had 1 or 2 year dudes in between.

But it was still a dumb move to let Craig Hentrich walk outta here back in 1998, and almost as bad to let Jon Ryan go in 2008. Next Jon Ryan we find had better be given a 10-year deal.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So entering the final pre-season this is how I see the current status of the roster:

QB
Locks
- Rodgers and Love (2)
Spot(s) Available: Maybe 1 - Benkert

RB
Locks -
Jones, Dillon, Hill (3)
Spot(s) Available: I say none (Taylor or Dexter or both end up on our PS)

WR
Locks -
Adams, Cobb, Lazard, MVS, Rodgers (5)
Spot(s) Available: 1 IMO - I think it is between Taylor and Begelton atm.

TEs
Locks -
Lewis, Tonyan, Deguara (3)
Spot(s) Available: 1 maybe....but my gut says we keep 3 (Daffney goes PS)

OL
Locks -
Jenkins, Myers, Turner, Patrick, Runyon, Newman, Kelly (7) Bahk if they don't designate him something else (8)
Spot(s) Available: I feel they keep 9 so either 1 or 2 spots left between Braden, Nijiman, Van Lanen. Kelly could get bumped off if they feel shelf is higher on these - Kelly doesn't cost us much at all if cut.

DLs
Locks -
Clark, Keke, Lowry, Slaton (4)
Spots Available: 1 and I think between Heflin and Lancaster or someone that isn't even on the team atm *I'm beginning to think Lancaster and they hope they can hide Heflin on PS.

ILBs
Locks
- Barnes, Campbell, Burks (3)
Spot(s) Available: 1 more spot between Summers and McDuffie IMO

OLBs
Locks -
Smith, Smith, Gary (3)
Spot(s) Available: I think 2 more with Garvin and Rivers IMO in lead

CBs
Locks -
Jaire, King, Stokes, Sullivan, SJC (5)
Spot(s) Available: 1 more and I think Ento gets it.

S
Locks -
Amos, Savage, Scott, Black (4)
Spot(s) Available: 1 and my bet is Uphoff (ST beast)

Special Teams Locks ATM - Crosby, Scott, Bradley (3)

Overall I feel 42 players have locked their likelihood of making the 53. Bahk would make it 43 and I feel very strongly we keep three QBs so 44 with Benkert added. So that means we have a battle for only 9 roster spots remaining.

The most intriguing battle for me is three positions specifically; does Uphoff's ST ability make him a must for the 53...who steps up at OLB and secures the #4 spot which is massive with Z's injury issues and does someone clearly move forward and win the final DL spot.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So entering the final pre-season this is how I see the current status of the roster:

QB
Locks
- Rodgers and Love (2)
Spot(s) Available: Maybe 1 - Benkert

RB
Locks -
Jones, Dillon, Hill (3)
Spot(s) Available: I say none (Taylor or Dexter or both end up on our PS)

WR
Locks -
Adams, Cobb, Lazard, MVS, Rodgers (5)
Spot(s) Available: 1 IMO - I think it is between Taylor and Begelton atm.

TEs
Locks -
Lewis, Tonyan, Deguara (3)
Spot(s) Available: 1 maybe....but my gut says we keep 3 (Daffney goes PS)

OL
Locks -
Jenkins, Myers, Turner, Patrick, Runyon, Newman, Kelly (7) Bahk if they don't designate him something else (8)
Spot(s) Available: I feel they keep 9 so either 1 or 2 spots left between Braden, Nijiman, Van Lanen. Kelly could get bumped off if they feel shelf is higher on these - Kelly doesn't cost us much at all if cut.

DLs
Locks -
Clark, Keke, Lowry, Slaton (4)
Spots Available: 1 and I think between Heflin and Lancaster or someone that isn't even on the team atm *I'm beginning to think Lancaster and they hope they can hide Heflin on PS.

ILBs
Locks
- Barnes, Campbell, Burks (3)
Spot(s) Available: 1 more spot between Summers and McDuffie IMO

OLBs
Locks -
Smith, Smith, Gary (3)
Spot(s) Available: I think 2 more with Garvin and Rivers IMO in lead

CBs
Locks -
Jaire, King, Stokes, Sullivan, SJC (5)
Spot(s) Available: 1 more and I think Ento gets it.

S
Locks -
Amos, Savage, Scott, Black (4)
Spot(s) Available: 1 and my bet is Uphoff (ST beast)

Special Teams Locks ATM - Crosby, Scott, Bradley (3)

Overall I feel 42 players have locked their likelihood of making the 53. Bahk would make it 43 and I feel very strongly we keep three QBs so 44 with Benkert added. So that means we have a battle for only 9 roster spots remaining.

The most intriguing battle for me is three positions specifically; does Uphoff's ST ability make him a must for the 53...who steps up at OLB and secures the #4 spot which is massive with Z's injury issues and does someone clearly move forward and win the final DL spot.
Well done. I think they cut Benkert and hope he makes it to the PS. He sat unclaimed for 3 months, before the Packers picked him up. Nothing that special about him, besides looking serviceable in one preseason game.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I added up all my availables and honestly I think now they keep either 6 DL or 5 OLB possibly as I came up with 52...or that could ensure Daffney (TE) makes roster and instead of 3 we keep 4.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just don't believe that any team is interested in giving up a mid-rounder for a tight end most likely not good enough to make the Packers roster. Even while having a need at the position.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't believe that any team is interested in giving up a mid-rounder for a tight end most likely not good enough to make the Packers roster. Even while having a need at the position.

I concur with the level of compensation (no way mid rounder), but I do feel a team in need and/or especially MM over at Dallas could garner easily a 7th at least for Stern. Sternberger strikes me easily as the type of guy capable of being a #3 in a new fresh start, he has receiving chops.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still hoping Sternberger plays well and can make the team. Definitely have my doubts now though. Those short passes in the flat to him seems pretty worthless. Not exactly his strength so far. He should be working the middle imo.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think in the end given our system and good amount of seam/middle WR bodies that can do what he does Stern just will be on outside looking in and Daffney has the edge of being the 4th TE if we keep four.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think in the end given our system and good amount of seam/middle WR bodies that can do what he does Stern just will be on outside looking in and Daffney has the edge of being the 4th TE if we keep four.
Dafney is 6ft 2. Sternberger is 6ft 4. I think that makes a difference. And he just looks tall against opposing defenses when in the middle of the field.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If jaylon smith gets cut from Dallas he would be a good pickup We don’t have enough money to trade a late round pick for 7 mil cap hit. But I think he would be a definite upgrade at mlb

Members online

Latest posts