VERY Early Stab At Predicting the 2021 53 Man Roster

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm going to differ a bit from some of the predictions and give Yiadom the nod over Ento. I like Ento, but his tackling still isn't up to ***** and Yiadom has some NFL experience. Ento should make it back to the PS for another year of tweaking his skills from a WR to a CB.

I also am curious on Bahk and the OL. Will he start the season on PUP or on the 53? If he is on the 53 (I think he will be), then Van Lanen might be the odd man out. That might be a tough cut, because he does have potential and may get scooped up by another team, but he proved in Buffalo that he is far from being ready. That would mean the OL would be Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Turner, Myers, Newman, Patrick, Jon , Kelly, Nijman, Braden.

Also, depending on Z-Dogs health they keep or cut Rivers. I think cut and then they will resign to the PS him or one of Galeai or Scott.

To many tough choices to keep Benkert around as a 3rd string QB. Let's face it, if the Packers get to the point where they need a 3rd string QB to play, they are either in deep sh**t or they have already gone out and signed Bortles or some other street vet.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I think we can scrap the "very early stab at" portion of this thread because we are heading into the season now. With final cuts tomorrow at 3:00 I would say it is a late prediction.

Original predictions, what I got wrong, and new predictions:

QB(2)

Rodgers, Love,

No change

RB(5)

Jones, Dillon, Hill

No change

WR(11)

Adams, Cobb, MVS, Lazard, Rodgers, Taylor Funchess,

Funchess is an injury settlement. Winfree and Begelton to the PS.,

OL(21)

Bakh, Jenkins, Turner, Patrick, Myers, Runyan, Newman, Stepaniak, Braden, Van Lanen (new predition to the PS), Kelly (new addition), Nijman (new addition, beat out Van Lanen)

Still the hardest group to predict.

TE(25)

Lewis, Tonyan, Deguara, Sternberger, Dafney (new addition, beat out Sternberger)

Sternberger is looking like a BustF. I think he gets cut.

DL(31)

Clark, Keke, Slaton, Lowry, Lancaster, adding Heflin (only keeping 6 CBs now)

Adding Heflin is more of a hope. I want someone to take Lancaster's snaps.

OLB(35)

Smith Bros, Gary, Garvin

No change

ILB(40)

Campbell, Barnes, Martin (he was a cut), Summers, Adding Burks, Adding McDuffie

I've heard good things about McDuffie.

CB(46)

Jaire, King, Stokes, Sullivan, Jean-Charles, Ento, Samuels (cuts), Adding Yiadom

Ento has played pretty bad. I'm guessing Yiadom makes it for special teams.

S(50)

Amos, Savage, Redmond (injured), Scott, Black

Had to edit. Forgot Redmond got injured.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another idea I was considering while looking at my projected 53, should we consider dropping Ty Lancaster and sign either Benkert or Begelton?
Interesting but my take is if we let Lancaster go (which is OK by me); we would then need to pick up another D lineman. I don't know why everyone is so high on Benkert. He does look decent and we could afford to put him on the PS. But he has been around for several years. I would think another team would have picked up on his future greatness by now.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to differ a bit from some of the predictions and give Yiadom the nod over Ento. I like Ento, but his tackling still isn't up to ***** and Yiadom has some NFL experience.
I was not impressed with Yiadom. But hell, at least his name isn't Redmond.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kinda feel as if maybe not on the initial 53, but I feel our #6 CB isn't on the current roster possibly....time will tell but gut tells me they aren't giving up on Ento - dude shows immense promise, but he also doesn't indicate he is ready for true gamedays either.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting but my take is if we let Lancaster go (which is OK by me); we would then need to pick up another D lineman. I don't know why everyone is so high on Benkert. He does look decent and we could afford to put him on the PS. But he has been around for several years. I would think another team would have picked up on his future greatness by now.
Would we though? I mean, what I don't know is whether or not Barry's new scheme would need 3 down linemen on most snaps. If so, then I concur it's probably best to leave Lancaster where he is because you may need the rotation. But we got away with only 5 DL last year and 3 QBs, and if Barry utilized mostly just 2 of them on most plays, I wouldn't see Lancaster as essential in the mix with our current depth.

I just threw Benkert out there as one option as a place of depth. If not him, then Begelton or McDuffie. Basically, adding more options for special teamers and depth pieces in both of those.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would we though? I mean, what I don't know is whether or not Barry's new scheme would need 3 down linemen on most snaps. If so, then I concur it's probably best to leave Lancaster where he is because you may need the rotation. But we got away with only 5 DL last year and 3 QBs, and if Barry utilized mostly just 2 of them on most plays, I wouldn't see Lancaster as essential in the mix with our current depth.

I just threw Benkert out there as one option as a place of depth. If not him, then Begelton or McDuffie. Basically, adding more options for special teamers and depth pieces in both of those.
It doesn't or won't involved three down lineman very often....add in the factor of having three highly rated players at OLB we will want to try to find ways on the field (Gary and Smiths) when healthy the need to carry 6 IMO isn't as high as some might think....although I still feel it might happen.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then 5 DL should be plenty and an open spot for a guy like Benkert, Begelton or McDuffie should be used.

I feel like Benkert even if not a "Great" QB is at least as good as Matt Flynn if not better. And his time in Atlanta is meaningless. Well ok not totally meaningless, but Matt Ryan was never going to be replaced by an UDFA no matter how good that guy was, and as the Falcons only carry 2 QBs, they also were never going to pass up the experience of Shaub for Benkert. Plus add to the fact that with the HC change, most players in Benkert's spot were going to go anyway because new HCs almost always want their guys and not the previous guy's guys. Basically Benkert was always going to be the 3rd wheel there.

I really think though if you put him on a team where you don't have much with veteran backup QBs, you'd have a highly reliable accurate thrower with him, and if he does get any action this year, I'm calling it now that he's going to make a lot of people hear eat their words.

Reaction score
QB Rodgers, Love (2)

RB Jones, Dillon, Hill, Williams (6)

WR Adams, MVS, Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Taylor, Begelton (13)

TE Tonyan, Lewis, Deguara, Sternberger (17)

OL Bakht, Turner, Jenkins, Meyers, Newmann, Van Lanen, Nijman, Patrick, Runyon, (26)

DL Kenny, Lowry, Keke, Slaton, Lancaster (31)

LB Smith, Smith, Gary, Garvin, Rivers
Campbell, Barnes, Burks, McDuffi (40)

DB Alexander, King, Stokes, Sullivan, Jean-Charles, Amos, Savage, Black, Scott, Uphoff (50)

ST Crosby, Scott, Bradley (53)

MLF has bounced between 2-3 QB’s. I think this year is back to 2 regulars.
MLF had bounced between 3-5 RBs. I think this year is 4 regulars. Those guys get hurt so fast and you need 2 just to function. Dexter has earned respect of the coaches for “the worker”.
The outlier is 7 WR, but I think Begelton is the most likely to get poached by another team after playing like a solid #6 WR/PR. I’m not as concerned with losing a rookie OL picked up late in the draft, those guys need work.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd put a million dollar bet on Williams not being on the final 53 and then go double or nothing on him not being on the Packer PS. Patrick Taylor will get that first RB spot on the PS.

Dexter may not even be in the NFL after Tuesday.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB Rodgers, Love (2)

OL Bakht, Turner, Jenkins, Meyers, Newmann, Van Lanen, Nijman, Patrick, Runyon, (26)

DB Alexander, King, Stokes, Sullivan, Jean-Charles, Amos, Savage, Black, Scott, Uphoff (50)

MLF had bounced between 3-5 RBs. I think this year is 4 regulars. Those guys get hurt so fast and you need 2 just to function. Dexter has earned respect of the coaches for “the worker”.
The outlier is 7 WR, but I think Begelton is the most likely to get poached by another team after playing like a solid #6 WR/PR. I’m not as concerned with losing a rookie OL picked up late in the draft, those guys need work.
You've just made me even more optimistic. Except Williams and just don't know much about Jean-Charles. Like it a lot.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My prediction for the PS:

On Offense:

Benkert, Patrick Taylor, Begelton, Winfree/ESB, Kaufusi, Van Lanen, Capra, Cronk.

Might be time to say goodbye to ESB.

On Defense:

Previlon, Kemp, Wilborn, Rivers, Galeai, Ento/Denmark, Gains Uphoff.

Not sure if the Ento experiment is over and they keep Denmark for a longer look or they think Ento just needs to learn how to tackle?

Reaction score
I'd put a million dollar bet on Williams not being on the final 53 and then go double or nothing on him not being on the Packer PS. Patrick Taylor will get that first RB spot on the PS.

Dexter may not even be in the NFL after Tuesday.
I’ll take you up on that PS bet (allow me time to get a $1,000,000 personal loan with no collateral except my good looks)
Are we talking US dollars or Denari? I might need to travel to a few banks abroad (let me know if you’d drive the getaway)

I also bet Taylor doesn’t make the 53
28-89 (3.9) 2-22 receiving and a fumble doesn’t give me goosebumps. Lol. He’ll be at the Al’s Tasty Burger Inn Drive-Through in Memphis (on your way to Graceland!)

If we sign Patrick Taylor to the 53 over Begelton? I’m going to smooth toilet paper Gutes car. Not that Sam’s Club septic stuff.. I’ll spend the extra on 3-ply too!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You've just made me even more optimistic. Except Williams and just don't know much about Jean-Charles. Like it a lot.

I think they keep Jean-Charles on the 53, they used a 5th round pick on him and I doubt they just waive him and expect him to be around for the PS.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’ll take you up on that PS bet.
I also bet Taylor doesn’t make the 53
28-39 (3.9) 2-22 receiving and a fumble doesn’t give me goosebumps. Lol
You can't split the bet up, I added the PS bet to give you a shot at your money back :) No way Williams is on the 53, that I am 99.99999999% sure on. I really think his time in GB is up.

Taylor won't make the 53, but for now he will be the Packers #4 RB and on the PS. I can see them keeping their eyes open for a better player off the other teams waivers. I wasn't impressed by Williams or Taylor, but think Taylor would be the better of the 2.

I am so over the moon happy with Hill and the 1-2-3 punch their 3 backs will give them, I'm not too worried about the #4 guy.

Reaction score
You can't split the bet up, I added the PS bet to give you a shot at your money back :) No way Williams is on the 53, that I am 99.99999999% sure on. I really think his time in GB is up.

Taylor won't make the 53, but for now he will be the Packers #4 RB and on the PS. I can see them keeping their eyes open for a better player off the other teams waivers. I wasn't impressed by Williams or Taylor, but think Taylor would be the better of the 2.

I am so over the moon happy with Hill and the 1-2-3 punch their 3 backs will give them, I'm not too worried about the #4 guy.
Yeah. The only area that I’m concerned with Dexter is his lack of receiving production. However, Khylin Hill just filled that role. Dexter at least had a solid 4.8 per carry this preseason. Also we spent a 6th rounder on him, so I think they give him a 3rd year to develop. Whereas Taylor is UDFA material and really hadn’t shown definitively better than Dexter. I’m just going off reports of Dexter as a workhorse type, high character guy. I’ll take Begelton over him though if it comes to the last spot. I like that kid a lot

Agree on Khylin Hill, that was a steal at #256 overall. exciting potential, he’s a Rookie and already showing out. He’s what we lost in our Jonathan Franklin a few years back. Huge potential.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB Rodgers, Love (2)

Pretty sure we're not having 4 RBs and 7 WRs

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Pretty sure we're not having 4 RBs and 7 WRs
Agreed. I actually could see a case of keeping only 5 WR's, if they really like another player on defense. Rationale behind that, Taylor is ok, but nothing special. The other 5 guys are clearly better than Taylor. He really won't see any action as a WR, unless injuries happen. Sure, he can play special teams, but so can other guys. I can see him, ESB and/or Begelton being on the PS ready to play if injuries occur. Otherwise, that 6th WR is probably a healthy inactive each game.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I actually could see a case of keeping only 5 WR's, if they really like another player on defense. Rationale behind that, Taylor is ok, but nothing special. The other 5 guys are clearly better than Taylor. He really won't see any action as a WR, unless injuries happen. Sure, he can play special teams, but so can other guys. I can see him, ESB and/or Begelton being on the PS ready to play if injuries occur. Otherwise, that 6th WR is probably a healthy inactive each game.
I guess I could see Amari being the inactive, at least early.

Hill is the KR, Cobb the PR, and then you’re wait for Amari to polish his routes.

Not going to say it must happen that way, but it could.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess I could see Amari being the inactive, at least early.

Hill is the KR, Cobb the PR, and then you’re wait for Amari to polish his routes.

Not going to say it must happen that way, but it could.
I think Amari will be active, returning punts and slowly worked into the offense. If they keep 6 WR's, with Taylor being the 6th, I see him being the inactive one.

Members online

Latest posts