VERY Early Stab At Predicting the 2021 53 Man Roster

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got chatting Packers with a buddy the other day and his posed question to me was "Do you think our 53 man roster changes with whether Rodgers is back or not outside of the QB room?" It spurred a long discussion but got my mind swirling way too early at trying to place predictions down for the 53 man 2021 roster for Green Bay.

QBs (2/2) - Rodgers, Love *I think we keep three if Rodgers leaves, but only 2 if he does. Benkert/Dolegala both PS options. IF Rodgers leaves I think we go Love, Bortles, Benkert

RBs (4/6) - Jones, Dillon, Hill, Taylor

WRs (5/11) - Adams, MVS, Lazard, Funchess, Rodgers

TEs (4/15) - Lewis, Tonyan, Deguara, Daffney

OLs (9/24) - Bahk, Jenkins, Meyers, Patrick, Turner, Newman, Runyon, Braden, Nijman

DLs (5/29) - Clark, Lowry, Keke, Slaton, Lancaster

ILBs (4/33) - Barnes, Martin, Campbell, McDuffie

OLBs (5/38) - Z Smith, P Smith, Gary, Garvin, Kemp

CBs (6/44) - Jaire, Stokes, King, Sullivan, SJC, Samuels

Ss (5/49) - Amos, Savage, Scott, Uphoff, Redmond

Special (3/52) - Crosby, Scott, Fortunato

With Rodgers this left me with 52 when done and the numbers kept above per position are exactly what we did last season....I think these are the guys that might slip in possibly for the 53rd in this scenario:

-Ty Summers making us keep 5 ILBs
-Begelton or Winfree making it 6 WRs
-Hollman making it 7 CBs
-Bortles making it 3 QBs even with Rodgers

I love the Cole Van Lanen's story but it starts on PS I believe....for some reason I'm thinking Jackson and Hollman get pushed out by Samuels (I'm higher on him than most)...Cronk is also stashed on PS I believe...Stepniak might as well.

Lot could change and mold forward with Rodgers news, injuries and performances.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looks reasonable though I am not going to pretend to know all of them. The one I hope does not make it is Redmond. I just don't trust him to be reliable.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great breakdown tynimiller

VERY early 53 man roster is:

Offense(25)

QBs
(2) - Rodgers, Love

RBs (3) - Jones, Dillon, Hill
*I was not the biggest fan of Dexter Williams coming out of college. I thought he looked sloppy and looked overweight coming into rookie season. Looks much leaner now. Fumbles were his biggest issue as a rookie and it looks like it's still continuing. Wouldn't shock me if Patrick Taylor makes the team.

WRs (6) - Adams, Lazard, MVS, Funchess, Amar. Rodgers, Taylor
*Juwann Winfree has a chance to overtake Taylor. But a reminder is that Winfree has had off-the-field issues (it's in the past I get it..) and his career thus far has been riddled with injuries.

TEs (4) - Lewis, Tonyan, Deguara, Dafney

OLs (10) - Bahk, Jenkins, Meyers, Patrick, Turner, Newman, Runyon, Braden, Stepaniak, Van Lanen

Defense (28)

DLs
(5) - Clark, Lowry, Keke, Slaton, Lancaster

ILBs (5) - Barnes, Martin, Campbell, Summers, McDuffie
*The Burks experiment is over. Won't be shocked if they only kept 4 ILBs

OLBs (4) - Z Smith, P Smith, Gary, Garvin

CBs (6) - Jaire, Stokes, King, Sullivan, SJC, Jackson

Ss (5) - Amos, Savage, Scott, Uphoff, Redmond

Special (3) - Crosby, Scott, Fortunato

Nick Karbula

Krabs
Reaction score
I Can't argue with a lot of the way too early roster picks. There will be some surprise cuts for sure. Always is. However, I really wish they would upgrade the DL.
DLs (5) - Clark, Lowry, Keke, Slaton, Lancaster
Lowry is average at best. Keke showed flashes, but was still inconsitant. Lancaster just stinks. He's got a great story and I applaud him for making the most of his talent. I've just seen him get physically manhandled too many times. Slaton is a rookie and one just never knows how much you can count on them if at all. Clark, that's it. He's the only trustable one. I hope we have a flyer in training camp that will be a surprise.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Can't argue with a lot of the way too early roster picks. There will be some surprise cuts for sure. Always is. However, I really wish they would upgrade the DL.
ME TOO... I'm not the biggest TJ Slaton fan, and he could prove me wrong but.. I wasn't too thrilled with the pick.

Nick Karbula

Krabs
Reaction score
ME TOO... I'm not the biggest TJ Slaton fan, and he could prove me wrong but.. I wasn't too thrilled with the pick.
I'm okay with the Slaton pick out of the 5th round. Just can't trust any rookie and especially someone that is probably considered a bit of a project. He will have to learn in year one and that doesn't really help us next year.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got chatting Packers with a buddy the other day and his posed question to me was "Do you think our 53 man roster changes with whether Rodgers is back or not outside of the QB room?" It spurred a long discussion but got my mind swirling way too early at trying to place predictions down for the 53 man 2021 roster for Green Bay.

QBs (2/2) - Rodgers, Love *I think we keep three if Rodgers leaves, but only 2 if he does. Benkert/Dolegala both PS options. IF Rodgers leaves I think we go Love, Bortles, Benkert

RBs (4/6) - Jones, Dillon, Hill, Taylor

WRs (5/11) - Adams, MVS, Lazard, Funchess, Rodgers

TEs (4/15) - Lewis, Tonyan, Deguara, Daffney

OLs (9/24) - Bahk, Jenkins, Meyers, Patrick, Turner, Newman, Runyon, Braden, Nijman

DLs (5/29) - Clark, Lowry, Keke, Slaton, Lancaster

ILBs (4/33) - Barnes, Martin, Campbell, McDuffie

OLBs (5/38) - Z Smith, P Smith, Gary, Garvin, Kemp

CBs (6/44) - Jaire, Stokes, King, Sullivan, SJC, Samuels

Ss (5/49) - Amos, Savage, Scott, Uphoff, Redmond

Special (3/52) - Crosby, Scott, Fortunato

With Rodgers this left me with 52 when done and the numbers kept above per position are exactly what we did last season....I think these are the guys that might slip in possibly for the 53rd in this scenario:

-Ty Summers making us keep 5 ILBs
-Begelton or Winfree making it 6 WRs
-Hollman making it 7 CBs
-Bortles making it 3 QBs even with Rodgers

I love the Cole Van Lanen's story but it starts on PS I believe....for some reason I'm thinking Jackson and Hollman get pushed out by Samuels (I'm higher on him than most)...Cronk is also stashed on PS I believe...Stepniak might as well.

Lot could change and mold forward with Rodgers news, injuries and performances.

Hollman over King at CB and yes I think Summers makes the team yet again, and possibly not as the #5 ILB. I think he could out play McDuffie and at least be #4, who knows maybe he outplays Campbell and becomes the primary back up. Either way I don't think he's the ST guy this year. Also props for NOT keeping Burks.

Also remember you need to keep an extra lineman as Bakh probably starts the season on PUP.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hollman over King at CB and yes I think Summers makes the team yet again, and possibly not as the #5 ILB. I think he could out play McDuffie and at least be #4, who knows maybe he outplays Campbell and becomes the primary back up. Either way I don't think he's the ST guy this year. Also props for NOT keeping Burks.

Also remember you need to keep an extra lineman as Bakh probably starts the season on PUP.
You're saying King doesn't make the team or that Hollman depth chart wise will be above?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rick I think you have bounced off too many turnbuckles there buddy. King not only makes the team but he will be an opening day starter.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aw Schultz you know NOTHING you saw NOTHING you weren't even HERE WHEN IT HAPPENED :)

Anyway I get that he was resigned as you and tynimiller pointed out, but I can't imagine someone who got toasted all day makes this team...and by that I mean I can't believe Gutey was so derelict in his duties that he couldn't find an upgrade, or see one on his own team when it shows up.

Members online

No members online now.