Update on RB Turner & GB

Apocalypse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers: He's a real head-Turner
JASON WILDE

PHOENIX - While the Green Bay Packers' fan base has expended plenty of sports-radio airtime and Internet bandwidth debating whether the team should trade for controversial wide receiver Randy Moss, another player that fans probably should be buzzing about is San Diego Chargers restricted free agent running back Michael Turner.

An NFL source at the league's annual meetings at the Arizona Biltmore resort said Tuesday that the Packers are among a number of teams that have expressed an interest in Turner.

"There's been lots of activity," Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said.

Despite having NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson as their starter, the Chargers used the highest possible restricted free agent tender ($2.35 million) on Turner, which means any team signing him to an offer sheet would owe them first- and third-round draft picks as compensation if the Chargers opted not to match.

It's hard to imagine Packers general manager Ted Thompson paying such a steep price for Turner, given how he values his draft picks. However, the clubs could work out a trade that would allow the Packers to add Turner for less. The Houston Texans traded a pair of second-round picks to Atlanta last week in order to sign restricted free agent quarterback Matt Schaub, who also had been given the highest tender.

Thompson said the team feels "pretty good" about the Packers' four remaining running backs - Vernand Morency, Noah Herron, P.J. Pope and Arliss Beach - following the free agent departure of starter Ahman Green. But Thompson also wouldn't rule out a trade, either.

"I think you have to be careful parting with draft picks," said Thompson, who has nine picks - one in each of the first six rounds, plus three seventh-rounders. "But we're not opposed to it."

Asked if he's had any trade talks this week, Thompson replied, "Yeah. Whether it's me (initiating it) or it's somebody from another team going on what I refer to as 'fishing expeditions,' saying, 'What about this? What about that?' You get that kind of chat all the time."

The 5-foot-10, 237-pound Turner, 25, entered the league in 2004 as a fifth-round pick out of Northern Illinois and has rushed for 941 yards on 157 carries in three NFL seasons. Last year, he gained 502 yards on just 80 carries (a 6.3- yard average) and scored a pair of touchdowns. His agent is Bus Cook, who also represents Packers quarterback Brett Favre.

"If they have (talked), it's between them," Cook said. "No one has called me."

Asked about Turner during Tuesday morning's AFC coaches breakfast, new Chargers coach Norv Turner - having faced the running back twice a year as the Oakland Raiders' coach in 2004 and 2005 - said, "I have a good feel for evaluating him because I've stood on the sideline and watching him rip-roar through there. ... (The question is), does someone say, 'We'd rather have Michael Turner than a back in the draft'?"

For now, the Packers adding Turner seems like a longshot, even though fans have been clamoring for Thompson to do something in free agency.

"It can't determine policy. It can't determine the direction of our team," Thompson said of fan opinion. "I want the fans to think we're working very hard and doing the best we can to help the Green Bay Packers, and I desperately want that image to be portrayed. But I can't react and do things for the sake of the populace. It has to be a thought-out decision that makes sense for the Packers."

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=126427&ntpid=1

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Turner moving from San diego. San Diego has to do something with him this offseason, or risk not getting anything in return for Turner. Swapping 1st round picks with the Chargers appears to be very interesting. The move would give the Chargers a GREAT shot at D. Jarrett, or Ted Ginn Jr. They need a WR, and we could get our RB and still be able to drfat Reggie Nelson (S-Fla), Paul Posluszny (OLB-Penn St.), Robert Meachem (WR-Tennessee), Charles Johnson (DE-Georgia), Joe Stanley (OT-Central Michigan), etc.

Packman4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner is from North Chicago IL... It's about 2 1/2 hours south of Green Bay. Maybe he'd like to be close to family.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
A SD paper printing that we have interest.... boy there is not much happening in sports today when this is newsworthy... Okay I am really bored, lol.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/03/30/sports/professional/chargers/21_19_403_29_07.txt

By: MIKE SULLIVAN - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO ---- Chargers restricted free agent Michael Turner was a hot name over at the NFL meetings in Phoenix this week.

Teams looking for a starting running back are assessing whether to make a run at trading for Turner or filling their needs in the late-April NFL draft.

"There was a lot of activity," Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said. "Very interesting. We'll see what all the talk means.

"There's legitimate interest on a few teams' part. A couple others are asking."

Smith declined to discuss specifics in terms of interested teams or what offers he has fielded. But it's known that the Green Bay Packers are highly interested in Turner. The Buffalo Bills also have interest.

Green Bay recently lost Ahman Green to Houston via free agency and Buffalo traded Willis McGahee to Baltimore.

Four weeks ago, the Chargers placed the highest possible tender on Turner, guaranteeing him a $2.35 million salary for 2007 if he remains with the Chargers. The tender allows the Chargers to match any offer sheet that Turner receives from another team. It also means any team that signs Turner to a free-agent deal must give up a first- and third-round draft pick to the Chargers.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man.....i'd like to see him play for us. Hopefully he would want to be here. It sure would be a nice O addition.

OP
OP
A

Apocalypse

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I read that right? He would cost of the first and third draft choice??? If that's the case, NO SALE!

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea whats going on one day i hear this

Packers | Team not interested in M. Turner
Sat, 31 Mar 2007 06:32:52 -0700

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the Green Bay Packers, contrary to many reports, have not shown interest in San Diego Chargers restricted free agent RB Michael Turner, according to a source.

and the next we do, its alot like the whole Randy Moss trade, just give up in listen to anything anyone says.

OP
OP
A

Apocalypse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the article this kevin acee guy wrote is a bunch of crap. he also said the jets and the cowboys are interested in turner as well (cowboys denied it, jets already traded for thomas jones).

and how can you say the packers are NOT interested in turner after hearing TT say stuff like:
Thompson said the team feels "pretty good" about the Packers' four remaining running backs - Vernand Morency, Noah Herron, P.J. Pope and Arliss Beach - following the free agent departure of starter Ahman Green. But Thompson also wouldn't rule out a trade, either.

"I think you have to be careful parting with draft picks," said Thompson, who has nine picks - one in each of the first six rounds, plus three seventh-rounders. "But we're not opposed to it."

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the article this kevin acee guy wrote is a bunch of crap. he also said the jets and the cowboys are interested in turner as well (cowboys denied it, jets already traded for thomas jones).

and how can you say the packers are NOT interested in turner after hearing TT say stuff like:

Don't be so quick to write off a guy because he reports he reports something you HOPE isn't true.

I tend to think that though there might be talks going on there is NO WAY the Packer will get Turner and the 30th for the 16th.

SD knows they have a gem in Turner thus they tendered him in the highest possible way. To back off that to move up 14 picks in the draft would be nuts.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is a watershed test for those of you who think Ted Thompson is brilliant.

Bringing Turner to Green Bay would be brilliant. If Ted backs off this, it shows...truly...where he is coming from.

If he does this he would be:
1)Bringing an NFL experienced back with a 6+ yard per carry average to the team.
2)The back has been running a very similar offense in San Diego.
3)He can catch and block, a younger version of Ahman Green. He's only 25 I think.
4)He's not injury prone or had personal negatives.
5)His contract would be steep, but equal to other starting backs.
6)The only reason he isn't playing in San Diego is he's being the league MVP. Think Matt Hasselbeck in Green Bay.

To do this, Ted would have to give up:

1)The 16th pick in exchange for the 30th. Still in the first round.
2)Perhaps another pick...like a 4th...consider what has come on board recently from the 4th round.

So your Hall of Fame QB would return with a solid veteran behind him, capable of matching or exceeding any running back in the NFC North.

And what do they give up? Marshawn Lynch? Ted Ginn, Jr.? and some unknown in the 4th round?

While there's many good reasons to not do the Randy Moss trade, this one for Turner would be plainly stupid not to do.

This is a barometer trade for Ted Thompson. We'll see if he has the cajones to do it, or he thinks he can find a Pro Bowler under a cabbage leaf.

OP
OP
A

Apocalypse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't be so quick to write off a guy because he reports he reports something you HOPE isn't true.

I tend to think that though there might be talks going on there is NO WAY the Packer will get Turner and the 30th for the 16th.

SD knows they have a gem in Turner thus they tendered him in the highest possible way. To back off that to move up 14 picks in the draft would be nuts.
whats so nuts about that? thats like giving up a late 1st round pick

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chargers are going to get a 1st for him without a swap. The Packers aren't going to get him. They have no interest but they could later. However I heard that some teams are really thinking about giving up a 1st for Turner. If that's the case then the Pack shouldn't do it unless Lynch is gone at 16.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2820156

At least three teams -- Buffalo, Tennessee and the New York Jets -- are thought to have made inquiries about Turner during the league meetings. It's not believed that Green Bay, which needs a starting tailback and has been linked in various reports to Turner, has demonstrated any interest. Given that Turner can play for the one-year qualifying offer in 2006 and then leave as an unrestricted free agent next spring, with the Chargers getting nothing in return for him, Smith clearly will have to consider trade offers. Other teams know that, which is why Smith typically had another general manager by his side this week as he strolled the grounds of The Arizona Biltmore, the resort at which the league meetings were held.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Chargers are going to get a 1st for him without a swap. The Packers aren't going to get him. They have no interest but they could later. However I heard that some teams are really thinking about giving up a 1st for Turner. If that's the case then the Pack shouldn't do it unless Lynch is gone at 16.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2820156

At least three teams -- Buffalo, Tennessee and the New York Jets -- are thought to have made inquiries about Turner during the league meetings. It's not believed that Green Bay, which needs a starting tailback and has been linked in various reports to Turner, has demonstrated any interest. Given that Turner can play for the one-year qualifying offer in 2006 and then leave as an unrestricted free agent next spring, with the Chargers getting nothing in return for him, Smith clearly will have to consider trade offers. Other teams know that, which is why Smith typically had another general manager by his side this week as he strolled the grounds of The Arizona Biltmore, the resort at which the league meetings were held.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/teams/Green+Bay+Packers/nfl.t.9

Packers, Bills interested in San Diego running back
Friday, Mar 30, 2007 11:02 am EDT

Teams looking for a starting running back are assessing whether to make a run at trading for Turner or filling their needs in the late-April NFL draft.

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith declined to discuss specifics in terms of interested teams or what offers he has fielded, but it's known that the Green Bay Packers are highly interested. The Buffalo Bills also have interest.

OP
OP
A

Apocalypse

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thats the same crap this Kevin Acee guy reported earlier. Its the same source. He even mentions the Jets.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

whats so nuts about that? thats like giving up a late 1st round pick

it's nuts because i think it's generally assumed that the Chargers could get way more for turner. this trade would mean that they give up Turner, and in return move up only 14 spots in the draft. I'd do flips if we got turner and only had to swap 1st round picks, but i don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell of the deal going down like that. Turner will be much more costly than that.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/teams/Green+Bay+Packers/nfl.t.9

Packers, Bills interested in San Diego running back
Friday, Mar 30, 2007 11:02 am EDT

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith declined to discuss specifics in terms of interested teams or what offers he has fielded, but it's known that the Green Bay Packers are highly interested. The Buffalo Bills also have interest.

ESPN and Len Pasquerelli have far more "weight" to their word than any report that came out a day before on yahoo or from some NJ writer. So unless Adam Schefner confirms the Pack interest, the reports of the Pack interested in landing Turner are bogus and wishful thinking.

:twocents:

Chevelle2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason the Bolts put a 1st and 3rd rounder tender on him, was because they didnt want div rivals DEN acquiring him.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, that's a good point chevelle. Denver's gonna be tough this year! along with the Patriots and all their acquisitions, AFC is gonna be dominant once again.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read where their GM once again mentioned high interest in him and GB was at least eluded to having shown the most with Buffalo also looking.

He also said he would "consider" offers and has said he has had some interesting discussions about Turner which leads to the thought it won't take the tender price tag to make a deal.

If it would take a 1st and a 3rd the Pack wouldn't be in the mix.

SD is going to get the most they will get between now and the draft because after Lynch and Peterson there really isn't a whole lot there which is definately in their favor.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apocalypse said:

Nuts why if they dont move him this year they get nothing for him next. So if you were going to want value that is what you have to do.

Staff online

Latest posts