Upcoming contract situations

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers: We can't keep paying him at the level of Ryan Fitzpatrick. He'll have two years left on his deal after this year, but I wouldn't wait til there's one more to get a new deal done. Something similar to Drew Brees -- should happen this offseason.

Matthews: Second in importance only to Rodgers, must re-sign. He has one year left on his original deal coming into next year.

Jennings: Cobb's breakout year has put the writing on the wall for Jennings to be gone. I think it's possible Jennings gets a franchise tag for next year, but there will be no long-term deal. Too expensive and injury prone for what he will command on the open market.

Raji: Look, I know people love Raji, but IMO he is one of the more overrated players on the team. Takes a lot of plays off and has very poor stamina. Pro Football Focus actually had him rated dead last in 2011 of interior D-linemen against the run. I'd draft his replacement and let him play out next year. I don't think he's productive enough to warrant how expensive he will be.

Walden: Probably expendable next year with Perry's return and Moses emerging on the outside.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The sooner we lock Rodgers down to a 7 year deal the better.

Make Matthews happy, Matthews make us happy.

Do you know how much cap Jennings tag will cost us? Can we even afford it?

We know Raji can't play 3 downs, yet we don't have any rotational pieces for him like we do for Worthy. Raj only get to rest occasionally in Nickel. besides, if we lose him we have to replace him, and quality NT don't grow on trees. Especially when you consider the body of work from our DL coach as it pertains to 3-4 DL

Walden will walk, and will come crawling back when the market says he is just a back-up. Just like this year. Should he walk, oh well. His biggest upside is that he is more athletic than Moses

EDS. People have told me we will be fine with EDS in the middle. I still don't believe people.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Agreed, I say we trade him and Mason Crosby for a new washing machine, a la Jackie Moon.
I still have faith Crosby will turn it around. I freely admit my infatuation with his leg strength makes me wholly biased though. I like EDS as a back-up, he has alot of good team chemistry, and Rodgers gave him the endorsement for COTF, but Dietz-Watson looks like too much of a ham out there to start IMO

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers and Matthews will get deals done however Jennings, Walden, and Raji will be gone imo. Jennings will be back at least next year with the tag... but Raji will be gone when his contract is up. He is a solid player but not good enough to warrant big bucks like a Ngata or Wilfork.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are some other lessor names that will be coming up after next year that we are going to have to start looking at too. Burnett, J. Jones, Newhouse, Starks, Wilson, Shields.

Woodson will be asked to take a paycut, I think. I think this year was his freebie when we knowingly overpaid him on what he's done for us -- next year we won't be able to justify the cap space any longer.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burnett, Jones, and Shields yes. The other three probably are gone...especially Newhouse, i'd pay for his plane ticket out of Green Bay.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
BJ has been bad? I read report from Bob McGinn from Milwaukee Journal that BJ has played great..

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BJ has been bad? I read report from Bob McGinn from Milwaukee Journal that BJ has played great..

lol what games has he been watching? i said it before and i'll say it again, sometimes i forget Raji is even on the field. Don't remember hearing his name yesterday either. I heard Ngatas about 10 times in their Steeler game.

Reaction score
Rodgers and Matthews will get deals done however Jennings, Walden, and Raji will be gone imo. Jennings will be back at least next year with the tag... but Raji will be gone when his contract is up. He is a solid player but not good enough to warrant big bucks like a Ngata or Wilfork.
If there is one player that we will not lose besides Rodgers, it is Raji.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
lol what games has he been watching? i said it before and i'll say it again, sometimes i forget Raji is even on the field. Don't remember hearing his name yesterday either. I heard Ngatas about 10 times in their Steeler game.

I know in chat we watched raji for a while and wass doing good..

The game Bob refereed to was the lions game..Said he and Pickett played their best game vs the Lions

I am NOT saying BJ is HOF..Just know that I read an article stating he played great..

So go blast Bob lol

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know in chat we watched raji for a while and wass doing good..

The game Bob refereed to was the lions game..Said he and Pickett played their best game vs the Lions

I am NOT saying BJ is HOF..Just know that I read an article stating he played great..

So go blast Bob lol

You're just the messenger no worries. However Raji has not been the same player as he was 2 years ago.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Do something this weekend...Watch BJ on every play...See how awful he really is...Ill do the same

Reaction score
Really? what warrants a long term deal? We could draft another DT or actually move Worthy to NT. He's actually been alot more effective than Raji to me anyways.
To you, maybe. But on the profootballfocus website, and to the Packers coaches, Raji has been singlehandedly clogging up the middle for the Packers line. Raji last season only missed a few snaps all season. I can see us resigning Raji, Matthews, and Rodgers no problem. I just hope that we can get Jennings back too.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
They called his name all day, especially in the first quarter. I'll never forget him torpedoing Peterson, it was almost a spear.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Really? what warrants a long term deal? We could draft another DT or actually move Worthy to NT. He's actually been alot more effective than Raji to me anyways.
DEAR GOD NO! Why not just ask Walden to 2 gap, the results will be eerily similar

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To you, maybe. But on the profootballfocus website, and to the Packers coaches, Raji has been singlehandedly clogging up the middle for the Packers line. Raji last season only missed a few snaps all season. I can see us resigning Raji, Matthews, and Rodgers no problem. I just hope that we can get Jennings back too.

I'd rather sign Jennings over Raji. The offense is not the same without Jennings, i don't care what anybody says.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't see Jennings getting tagged. It's too damaging to the cap.

I actually could see him getting a deal with the packers, which I couldn't last summer. I think his value has dropped and I think his importance to this team has shown this season when he isn't on the field. I say 40% chance he is resigned.

Raji isn't great. But he is good and the decline after him is steep. Should be affordable to resign.

I have worries about Matthews contract.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even tho he maybe causing an issue now, I firmly believe Ted wont let him go..He HAS to know he is as important to the D as Rodgers is to the offense

I 100% agree with you.

Matthews contract might be record setting. He might be in line for the largest contract for a defensive player. It's not like the frame work is there as Rodgers will be since we have the numbers on Brady's, mannings, and brees already. Clay will be resigned but its going to be a significant contract that they will go back n forth on for some time.

I assume this wont become a public issue, but if it drags out time wise it could be a distraction.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji has stamina issues? The guy played most of the defensive snaps in 2010 and played some of his best football then. Granted that was too years ago but I haven't seen a noticeable decline. What you admittedly don't hear is his name called all that much, but your name being called is just a glory stat in terms of DL. Your job in our defense is to clog the lanes on running plays and provide pressure on passing downs. It's the guys getting 1-on-1 matchups that need to have their names called - either for making the play or not making it

The Packers have a lot of contract issues to deal with. There are a lot of ignorant folks on this forum that chastise TT for not signing free agents but then also expect that he can magically have funds to pay Rodgers, Matthews, and all of the other keepers on our roster. You live in fantasy worlds that don't involve salary caps

Members online

Latest posts