Underwood And Schlauderaff First Packer Cuts Today

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per the jsonline, Brandon Underwood and the list of players below are the first cuts of today.
More to come................

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/129182703.html

• OG Caleb Schlauderaff, 6th-round pick in 2011
  • CB Brandian Ross, undrafted rookie in '11
  • WR Diondre Borel, undrafted rookie in '11
  • OG Sampson Genus, undrafted rookie in '11
  • CB Brandon Underwood, 6th-round pick in '09

bear7625

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WR's Chastin West and Kerry Taylor were also told they would be released. ( jsonline)

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad they made the move with Underwood. I thought he'd be another Bush situation where they kept him for "Upside."

I'm a bit surprised they didn't keep a 6th WR though. They use so many 4/5 WR sets and West/Gurley could have filled in if Donald Driver or anyone got hurt. Hopefully Gurley or West can make practice squad.

Reaction score
I really wanted Gurley! He would have been such a mashup problem especially as a 6th receiver on a team... I'm glad Underwood was released.. He was never good and he was always in trouble with the law. I see the reasoning behind only having 5 receivers though. It gives Finley the opportunity to switch out being a receiver with Cobb on the 5 wide sets. Finley is a good enough receiver alone to be a number 2 on a team let alone his size and strength. This move will only cause us to have more depth in an area where we needed more players. This could be good news for players like Davon House, M. D. Jennings, Josh Gordy, and Jarrett Bush. This could also be an effect of So'oto locking up his own future in Green Bay. We probably will keep Brad Jones, Erik Walden, Frank Zombo, Desmond Bishop, A.J. Hawk, CM3, So'oto, and a good possibility of keeping either Elmore or D.J. Smith for the linebacker core. Keeping only 5 receivers with a coach that loves receivers and tight ends, I see us keeping Finley, Williams, Crabtree, Quarless, and Taylor. Unfortunately, I see Johnson (FB) being kept on the roster even though it would make more sense to release him with all the tight ends that the Packers already have. He is our best run blocker and John Kuhn is just not up to par with Johnson's blocking game. I hope we will release him so that way, Crabtree can be a FB/TE hybrid to block. I see us keeping all three QB's this time around, but don't be surprised to see Graham Harrell on the practice squad again. There is nothing worse than a 3rd string QB taking up a roster spot in McCarthy's eyes when you can put that spot to greater use. Grant, Starks, and Green look to be the three headed running monster heading into this season. If anything, Nance will fill up a practice squad spot right away.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have rather had Gurley or West over keeping Brad Jones on the roster. Driver is going to fall apart and hopefully one of those 2 is still around on the practice squad to step up.

Reaction score
I would have rather had Gurley or West over keeping Brad Jones on the roster. Driver is going to fall apart and hopefully one of those 2 is still around on the practice squad to step up.

Me too... I don't think Driver will fall apart this season.. If West didn't get that huge touchdown, Driver led the team in receptions and yards for the preseason. He still is still an above average slot receiver due to his quick burst of speed and catching ability.. I see him getting around 800 yards this year.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Really bummed that Gurley looks to be cut. He won't clear waivers most likely.

Brad Jones is near useless, would have preferred to see that spot moved to someone with more upside-- either he is injured or invisible. He scored at the very bottom of all LBs in the one-on-one drills-- below undrafted rookies... Sad.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Really surprised they cut Harrell. Don't think anyone predicted that. Looks like we'll be drafting a QB next year.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Here’s a running list of the players the Packers have cut so far:
* FB Jon Hoese Who?
* WR Kerry Taylor Who?
* WR Chastin West Um maybe a mistake
* S Anthony Bratton Who?
* S Brandon Underwood expected
* G Caleb Schlauderaff expected
* NT Jay Ross Who?
* DE Lawrence Guy expected
* CB Brandain Ross Who?
* WR Tori Gurley Um maybe a mistake
* QB Graham Harrell Um maybe a mistake
* C/G Nick McDonald expected

http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2011/09/03/packers-cuts-the-running-list-2/

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What am I missing here? They cut Harrell, West and Gurley....so who is making the roster that wasn't on the radar?

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I see Elmore is not cut yet, and that worries me a little. By far he has looked the worst among every draft pick.

And don't think cutting Harrell was a mistake, just a surprise.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
My bad. Mistook Kerry Taylor (WR) for Ryan Taylor (TE). I feel better for now. Thanks 7thFloorRA.

Reaction score
My guess is Graham Harrell will be on the practice squad and will get called up if Rodgers/Flynn get injured. That is what most teams should do anyways. I hope Gurley makes it to the practice squad!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also wanted Gurley bad. They might regret that cut. Tall wide receiver that catches everything plus he can play special teams!!!! But it seems they are going to load up on the TE position to me. They like a lot of TE's in their offense. We'll see how all this plays out I guess.

Members online

Latest posts