Under/over rated players

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Didnt see this yet...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9542704

Some players listed:

Overrated: Quarterback Brett Favre is still a good quarterback, but he's no longer great. He struggled last year, and some of it had to do with a depleted supporting cast, but at 37 he's not what he once was -- no matter what a certain four-letter network would lead you to believe.

Overrated: At 33, receiver Muhsin Muhammad is slowing down. That's not a good thing because he never had big-play speed. The Bears paid way too much to sign him as a free agent and he wasn't the player they thought he'd be. Bad quarterback play hurt, but the pressure is on Muhammad to produce.

Overrated: Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a good player, but you'd think by winning the Super Bowl he's a great one. He still has a ways to go to get to that level. He needs to do a better job of reading the entire field.

Overrated: Fullback Mike Alstott is coming to the end of his career, but he's been overrated his entire career.

Overrated: Receiver Isaac Bruce is coming to the end of his career. He had just 36 catches last season, yet the Rams chose to re-sign him. Injuries slowed him some, but age is now an issue and Kevin Curtis could push for his job.

FOR THOSE THAT WANTED TT TO GET ERIC MOULDS
Overrated: Eric Moulds caught 81 passes for the Bills last season, but his per-catch average of 10.1 tied for the lowest of his career. That's a sign of a slowdown. The Texans like him as a No. 2 receiver, but if he slows down even more they might not get that out of him. He is no longer a top receiver.

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Didnt see this yet...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9542704

Some players listed:

Overrated: Quarterback Brett Favre is still a good quarterback, but he's no longer great. He struggled last year, and some of it had to do with a depleted supporting cast, but at 37 he's not what he once was -- no matter what a certain four-letter network would lead you to believe.

Overrated: At 33, receiver Muhsin Muhammad is slowing down. That's not a good thing because he never had big-play speed. The Bears paid way too much to sign him as a free agent and he wasn't the player they thought he'd be. Bad quarterback play hurt, but the pressure is on Muhammad to produce.

Overrated: Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a good player, but you'd think by winning the Super Bowl he's a great one. He still has a ways to go to get to that level. He needs to do a better job of reading the entire field.

Overrated: Fullback Mike Alstott is coming to the end of his career, but he's been overrated his entire career.

Overrated: Receiver Isaac Bruce is coming to the end of his career. He had just 36 catches last season, yet the Rams chose to re-sign him. Injuries slowed him some, but age is now an issue and Kevin Curtis could push for his job.

FOR THOSE THAT WANTED TT TO GET ERIC MOULDS
Overrated: Eric Moulds caught 81 passes for the Bills last season, but his per-catch average of 10.1 tied for the lowest of his career. That's a sign of a slowdown. The Texans like him as a No. 2 receiver, but if he slows down even more they might not get that out of him. He is no longer a top receiver.

Who said this?
Assumptions, and personal opinions are not the same thing as fact. One man's prophecy is another man's dung heap. (insert grain of salt) :wink:

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They seem to not fully understand the definition of overrated. They are just throwing out names of older players that have passed the prime of their career. Of course players get older and lose a few steps. I don't think anybody considers any of these players to be at the top of their game. A bunch of people have to rate them pretty highly to call them overrated. A year or two Michael Vick could of easily been called overrated because the media and fans though he was better than he was. I wouldn't say he is overrated now though, not because he got better, but because he is pretty well known as being the most overrated quarterback and when you get well known for being overrated you become less overrated because you are seen as not being as good. Wow that was kind of confusing. I will stop typing now.

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
They seem to not fully understand the definition of overrated. They are just throwing out names of older players that have passed the prime of their career. Of course players get older and lose a few steps. I don't think anybody considers any of these players to be at the top of their game. A bunch of people have to rate them pretty highly to call them overrated. A year or two Michael Vick could of easily been called overrated because the media and fans though he was better than he was. I wouldn't say he is overrated now though, not because he got better, but because he is pretty well known as being the most overrated quarterback and when you get well known for being overrated you become less overrated because you are seen as not being as good. Wow that was kind of confusing. I will stop typing now.

Exactly. I read ya. :wink:

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hete is my 5 most overrated:

1. Michael Vick - people are starting to see that all he does is run. His stats are average and did not even lead his team to playoffs when it is an overall good Atlanta team.

2. Brian Urlacher - a good player but never has been the impact player of a truly great one.

3. Roeslithberger - agree with the article, a good QB but only has to keep offense from sputtering and not a prime passing attack. This team will be average without the running game Bettis gave them.

4. Antonio Gates - one good year when he had LT to take pressure off him.

5. Jake Plummer - a very average QB on a team that relies on run.

5 Underrated:

1. Warrick Dunn - carries Atlanta running game and very versatile. Not a hall of fame type but very good.

2. Donald Driver - very consistent with 800+ yards and gets the tough catcehs over the middle.

3. Thomas Jones - Benson could never beat him out and all he does is produce.

4. Jerry Porter - been a consitent force on bad Raider teams, would be top receiver on a team with a good QB or coaching.

5. Alge Crumpler - top TE and favorite target of Vick when his running gets him in trouble. Again, a top three tight end on most teams.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:

3. Roeslithberger - agree with the article, a good QB but only has to keep offense from sputtering and not a prime passing attack. This team will be average without the running game Bettis gave them.

Goes to show you that great QBs don't win Super Bowls, great TEAMS win them (with some great coaching too).

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PackinSteel said:
paxvogel said:

Goes to show you that great QBs don't win Super Bowls, great TEAMS win them (with some great coaching too).

Don't you DARE imply the Packers can get to the Super Bowl without Brett Favre!! :)

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
PackinSteel said:
paxvogel said:

Don't you DARE imply the Packers can get to the Super Bowl without Brett Favre!! :)

Got me there Zero - I sure don't think they'd make it at this point with just ARod, that's for certain.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the offensive line they will have...especially early this year...they will be lucky to reach .500.

As all QB's and running backs know: they are only as good as their offensive line. It all starts there.

After the zone blocking pattern (and the the personnel, too) get established, I think it will work.

The 2006 Packers season will depend much on whether the defense early in the year can hold the other team to a couple of touchdowns, as I don't think the offense will do much until mid-season.
The team still feels the loss of Wahle, Rivera and now Flanagan.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
With the offensive line they will have...especially early this year...they will be lucky to reach .500.

As all QB's and running backs know: they are only as good as their offensive line. It all starts there.

After the zone blocking pattern (and the the personnel, too) get established, I think it will work.

The 2006 Packers season will depend much on whether the defense early in the year can hold the other team to a couple of touchdowns, as I don't think the offense will do much until mid-season.
The team still feels the loss of Wahle, Rivera and now Flanagan.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My comment didn't get attached. I don't think Flanagan would have started this year anyway and Rivera was average or hurt for the Cowboys. Wahle was the one that really hurt plus losing both starters. We should have re-signed him.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
PackinSteel said:
paxvogel said:

Well I sure hope they can one day. Favre can't play for ever :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts