Tyler Lancaster

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going to go out on a limb and say Lancaster might make the ps this year. The fact that he played meaningful snaps in 19 shows how badly the DL needs revamping.
So what you're saying is that heading into October, when Lancaster was ranked 7th on the team (per PFF) and higher than 46 other Packers'-roster guys, Lancaster is only PS-talented? OK... smh

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you have to give him "journeyman" status. Adams and Keke and Brown had chances to steal his snaps and couldn't, and who could possibly remember all the names that floated through camp or in-and-out of the practice squad. If Adams in 3 seasons couldn't take his snaps, isn't he the guy on the bubble? I'd like to see a DL going 5 or 6 deep whereby Lancaster cannot win a job. I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

This. He doesn't have to make a pro-bowl, but what he has to do is be better against the run than the other backups. He's that. It'd be great if they had a ton of lighter third down guys who can rush the passer and stuff the run or just clone kenny clark, but they can't do that and so keeping Lancaster seems like a no brainer. What's the alternative? Get rid of him and just assume that some guy who they've never seen on their practice field before will be at least as good? This is the smart play.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the point in getting rid of a young player who is this cheap and can give you some solid snaps? Bringing him back makes absolutely no difference to their ability to bring in someone to play ahead of him on the depth chart.
Correct. The DL needs another quality starter or two, and to your point, depth in a guy like Lancaster (on the cheap). That’s the model successful teams use, and it helps keep the starters fresh as the game moves into Q4.

Some people are reacting as if the season was starting tomorrow. Hell, it may not start at all this year!

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This. He doesn't have to make a pro-bowl, but what he has to do is be better against the run than the other backups. He's that. It'd be great if they had a ton of lighter third down guys who can rush the passer and stuff the run or just clone kenny clark, but they can't do that and so keeping Lancaster seems like a no brainer. What's the alternative? Get rid of him and just assume that some guy who they've never seen on their practice field before will be at least as good? This is the smart play.
Well, if he is better than our backups; then we still have problems. He made a couple of plays. It's the blind squirrel syndrome. He is too slow.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if he is better than our backups; then we still have problems. He made a couple of plays. It's the blind squirrel syndrome. He is too slow.
Lancaster is cheap depth, period. Gluten has a lot of work to do to beef up the DL and get Clark some help, ditto for the ILB group. Even one above average inside DL or nose tackle to play next to Clark would help. But they need guys, plural.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay... I'll bite. What's with "Gluten?" :sleep:
That’s my shorthand phrase for “Gutey”. It was a stream of consciousness moment. I think I had just heard or seen the phrase “Gluten Free!” and it kinda stuck.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s my shorthand phrase for “Gutey”. It was a stream of consciousness moment. I think I had just heard or seen the phrase “Gluten Free!” and it kinda stuck.

Shorthand...that is longer than "Gutey"

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shorthand...that is longer then "Gutey"
Well, I was thinking about Gutekunst, but yeah, Gluten is one letter longer than another shorthand name, Gutey, or maybe just Gute. I guess there are bigger problems I have to deal with (although in these days of quarantine, we all have too much time on our hands, and so we find more problems - best to sit back and relax, if that’s possible.....).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I was thinking about Gutekunst, but yeah, Gluten is one letter longer than another shorthand name, Gutey, or maybe just Gute. I guess there are bigger problems I have to deal with (although in these days of quarantine, we all have too much time on our hands, and so we find more problems - best to sit back and relax, if that’s possible.....).

no I get it, it just cracked me up is all

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone here know how many snaps Keke got last year, and how he did? I may be answering my own question because I heard very little about him, other than he looked good in OTAs and training camp.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trivia contest

Two players

Ht . 6'3" 6'3"
Wt. 313. 314
40. 5.01. 5.06
Vert. 27" 28.5"
Broad. 113" 102"
Bench. 32. 29
20yshut 4.60 4.62

Okay, one is Tyler Lancaster and the other is Kenny Clark.

Now, I'm not saying Lancaster is as good as Clark, but I am saying Lancaster has more tools and athleticism than many give him credit for. He has enough physical tools to be much better than he has played. It's not easy for DL. The body takes a pounding and most DL need a couple of years to really be effective.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone here know how many snaps Keke got last year, and how he did? I may be answering my own question because I heard very little about him, other than he looked good in OTAs and training camp.
Keke got a 63.4 grade from PFF. Which is average and I think that is good considering he was a bit raw rookie who went in the 5th round. PFF after the draft called him one of the top steals of the draft and that in one on ones he performed better than any DL at the senior bowl practices.

Hopefully he progresses for next year but it take 2 or 3 before they really hit their stride.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trivia contest

Two players

Ht . 6'3" 6'3"
Wt. 313. 314
40. 5.01. 5.06
Vert. 27" 28.5"
Broad. 113" 102"
Bench. 32. 29
20yshut 4.60 4.62

Okay, one is Tyler Lancaster and the other is Kenny Clark.

Now, I'm not saying Lancaster is as good as Clark, but I am saying Lancaster has more tools and athleticism than many give him credit for. He has enough physical tools to be much better than he has played. It's not easy for DL. The body takes a pounding and most DL need a couple of years to really be effective.
And yet Clark was taken in the first round and LancasteR was taken...... actually I don’t know but it wasn’t the first round, or he could be an UDFA for all I know.

This exposes a criticism I have of the Combine. Too much emphasis on the numbers - in isolation. Guys can really climb the draft boards based on their Combine performance, so it’s up to the GM and his staff to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Another way to look at it is that Lancaster hasn’t been coached properly. At any rate, signing him to a virtually no risk deal leaves the Packers with nowhere to go but up with Lancaster. Worst case is he busts in training camp. While that means another guy has to be found, the financial impact is minimal.

Thanks for putting this together Amish.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keke got a 63.4 grade from PFF. Which is average and I think that is good considering he was a bit raw rookie who went in the 5th round. PFF after the draft called him one of the top steals of the draft and that in one on ones he performed better than any DL at the senior bowl practices.

Hopefully he progresses for next year but it take 2 or 3 before they really hit their stride.
Thanks Amish, very useful.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And yet Clark was taken in the first round and LancasteR was taken...... actually I don’t know but it wasn’t the first round, or he could be an UDFA for all I know.

This exposes a criticism I have of the Combine. Too much emphasis on the numbers - in isolation. Guys can really climb the draft boards based on their Combine performance, so it’s up to the GM and his staff to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Another way to look at it is that Lancaster hasn’t been coached properly. At any rate, signing him to a virtually no risk deal leaves the Packers with nowhere to go but up with Lancaster. Worst case is he busts in training camp. While that means another guy has to be found, the financial impact is minimal.

Thanks for putting this together Amish.
No problem.

I was at a practice and Lancaster was leading a drill. He was going over technique for the sled with the samoan Badger guy right in front of me. Just seems like a good guy and I'm rooting for him.

The light hasnt come on for him just yet, but it still might. Cullen Jenkins got cut 2 years in a row before finally making the team in year 3.
It takes time for some players.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No problem.

I was at a practice and Lancaster was leading a drill. He was going over technique for the sled with the samoan Badger guy right in front of me. Just seems like a good guy and I'm rooting for him.

The light hasnt come on for him just yet, but it still might. Cullen Jenkins got cut 2 years in a row before finally making the team in year 3.
It takes time for some players.
Well, I’ll certainly be cheering for him too. The DL certainly needs the help!

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really have high hopes for Keke. I hope they get rid of Adams and allow Keke to compete with Lancaster for more snaps. Keke only played 119 snaps all season, which given the run defense makes me question what was the hold up, unless he was that far behind the learning curve.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lancaster is a decent backup but shouldn't be counted on as a starter.

For the record, Lancaster went undrafted in 2018.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have any problem with it at what he's getting as others have mentioned we can cut him after training camp if we want to.

And I remember him being a bit better in 2018 he could bounce back and be worth keeping as a rotational/depth player, keep in mind though he played poorly he still out graded Lowry, Keke and Adams according to pff so we're not exactly full of good alternative options on the roster at the moment.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have any problem with it at what he's getting as others have mentioned we can cut him after training camp if we want to.

And I remember him being a bit better in 2018 he could bounce back and be worth keeping as a rotational/depth player, keep in mind though he played poorly he still out graded Lowry, Keke and Adams according to pff so we're not exactly full of good alternative options on the roster at the moment.
I dont know that I would describe him as playing poorly. I know he had some bad games but he also had some pretty good games. He improved, as you stated, in year two, I dont see any reason he wont be even better next season.

PFF rated him average at 64.5. This is good for a raw 2nd year player.

And by the way, Lancaster is the first player in my list above. He is slightly more athletic (testing) than Clark. Clark has him beat in non-testables, balance, assimilation, power quickness, reaction, etc.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really have high hopes for Keke. I hope they get rid of Adams and allow Keke to compete with Lancaster for more snaps. Keke only played 119 snaps all season, which given the run defense makes me question what was the hold up, unless he was that far behind the learning curve.
I think Adams is well past his shelf life. Too bad. Pettine may have no choice but to give more snaps to Keke and Gary this year. The team has other, more pressing needs at WR, OT, ILB, and TE. There’s only so much money, so they may have to look inside for DL improvement, and draft well. I don’t know what the FA market looks like right now for DLineman. Gluten is likely waiting for cuts and cap casualties. Just not enough money to address all the gaps this year - well, there never is......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Gluten will do the best he can with the DL, but there are higher priorities. As you and others have mentioned, hopefully guys like Keke and Gary (who got very few snaps last year) will have to learn the hard way, in battle. As for Lancaster, he’s cheap depth, so keeping him was an easy decision. Adams, unfortunately, has probably played his last snap in GB.

Members online

Latest posts