Ty placed on season ending IR, Quarless activated.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Well...it'll be nice to have him for depth next year. If we can stay healthy our WR core should be much better than this year's.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate it for this team, and also for him. He really worked himself in as a contributor during his rookie season

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If Quarless is healthy, he'll help. He won't be anything close to a cure-all - neither was Montgomery BTW - but IMO compared to Rodgers and Perillo he's a better blocker and receiving threat.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Quarless is healthy, he'll help. He won't be anything close to a cure-all - neither was Montgomery BTW - but IMO compared to Rodgers and Perillo he's a better blocker and receiving threat.
We are in such great need at the position that Clueless will be a refreshing sight. He can at least get open for some short routes especially on 3rd down. Too bad about Ty. He'll get a shot next August but he probably is too fragile to physically survive in the NFL. We should be looking either in the draft or the market for a deep threat wide out next year. Even Jordy has been here since 2009.

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quarless, has been practicing with the team for a few weeks already, and had been cleared a few weeks ago. I found it odd that someone was not cut back then to make a spot for him, but then MM probably saw this day coming, and held off on cutting someone and just let Quarless practice a few weeks to get the rust off.

Here is a vid that was uploaded Dec 1.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are in such great need at the position that Clueless will be a refreshing sight. He can at least get open for some short routes especially on 3rd down. Too bad about Ty. He'll get a shot next August but he probably is too fragile to physically survive in the NFL. We should be looking either in the draft or the market for a deep threat wide out next year. Even Jordy has been here since 2009.
Has he had a history of injuries? I would not say somebody is too fragile based off of one injury.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quarless, has been practicing with the team for a few weeks already, and had been cleared a few weeks ago. I found it odd that someone was not cut back then to make a spot for him, but then MM probably saw this day coming, and held off on cutting someone and just let Quarless practice a few weeks to get the rust off.

Here is a vid that was uploaded Dec 1.

I think they were really hoping Ty would be able to come back, but finally realized shutting him down will give him the mindset that he needs to just concentrate on healing. He needed to break that cycle of trying to get back on the field and then re-injuring the area and IR was the way to do it.

He wasn't exactly very effective before his injury, so I'm skeptical how much he'll contribute this year. I have hopes, but i have reservations. We're going back a few years, but if he can regain that form and give us a middle presence and a more able blocker in the run game, it will take a little pressure off everyone else and make a big difference.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers lost most of his rookie season due to a broken foot. He too fragile for the NFL too?

Pretty steep conclusion based on one injury.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO you lose credibility with your "too fragile" comment about Montgomery that even green bolded text can't overcome. And more creative name-calling for Quarless would make your point even better.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quarless has had moments of really good play but then he tended to disappear for games at a time. His blocking always seemed to be consistent in the running game. If McCarthy can implement a two TE scheme that can run the ball and create quick passing targets for Rodgers, it should open up a lot more of the offense and keep #12 from getting pummeled.

This is the right thing for Montgomery. It always felt as though the Packers were just waiting for Quarless to be ready and then they would swap roster spots. They were probably betting that someone else would end up on IR giving Montgomery a shot at the playoffs but this ankle sprain needs a long rest. They should give him one of those doggie chariots so that he stays off the thing

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers lost most of his rookie season due to a broken foot. He too fragile for the NFL too?

Pretty steep conclusion based on one injury.
No. I watched him at the Charger game. Every time he got bumped or pushed or tried to block he got manhandled. The couple of times he was tackled he looked like broken glass. Teams started to play press coverage on us. Even though he is fast he needs more upper body strength if he is going to last. You don't like seeing your wide receivers on the ground even when they are not in the play.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO you lose credibility with your "too fragile" comment about Montgomery that even green bolded text can't overcome. And more creative name-calling for Quarless would make your point even better.
Quarless has been an adequate back up TE. He got his chance when Finley in 2010 went down. He was satisfactory but not exceptional. His fundamentals are sound. But coming from a school that has a history of producing good NFL players like Penn State one would have expected a lot more. Otherwise, draft a TE from a Big 12 school like Finley.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Montgomery is going to have ankle surgery next week: http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...tgomery-scheduled-for-ankle-surgery-next-week
Quarless has been an adequate back up TE. He got his chance when Finley in 2010 went down. He was satisfactory but not exceptional. His fundamentals are sound. But coming from a school that has a history of producing good NFL players like Penn State one would have expected a lot more. Otherwise, draft a TE from a Big 12 school like Finley.
Yes, as I wrote, "If Quarless is healthy, he'll help. He won't be anything close to a cure-all - neither was Montgomery BTW - but IMO compared to Rodgers and Perillo he's a better blocker and receiving threat."

The last worry I have about Montgomery is he's "too fragile". Not sure how you could have watched him in preseason and through the 5+ games of the regular season and come to that conclusion. His ankle injury was severe enough to require surgery. And not that this is definitive or "proves" anything this is what McGinn had to say about him after he played 66 snaps against the Chiefs: "Montgomery...aside from two downfield blocking penalties, was solid. He's strong, quick and knows what he's doing." That's my overall impression of him before he got injured.

Members online

Latest posts