1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ty placed on season ending IR, Quarless activated.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by C-Lee, Dec 21, 2015.

1. C-Lee

C-Lee Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +352
  2. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    can't say i'm surprised
    but I am disappointed

3. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +525
    This has been coming for about 4 weeks now.

4. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +955
    I feel bad for the kid but it's not a surprise at this juncture. Better he come back 100% next season for a fresh start.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Twiddlemylobes

Twiddlemylobes Fat Tuesday Orleans

Ratings:
    +511
    That's unfortunate for Ty. I know he wanted to contribute.

6. Wynnebeck

Wynnebeck Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Sigh. Guess we gotta do with Quarless' corpse and hope for the best.

7. dbain21

dbain21 Chicagoland Packer Fan

Ratings:
    +143
    Well...it'll be nice to have him for depth next year. If we can stay healthy our WR core should be much better than this year's.

8. Patriotplayer90

Patriotplayer90 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +340
    Hate it for this team, and also for him. He really worked himself in as a contributor during his rookie season

9. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    If Quarless is healthy, he'll help. He won't be anything close to a cure-all - neither was Montgomery BTW - but IMO compared to Rodgers and Perillo he's a better blocker and receiving threat.

10. milani

milani Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +72
    We are in such great need at the position that Clueless will be a refreshing sight. He can at least get open for some short routes especially on 3rd down. Too bad about Ty. He'll get a shot next August but he probably is too fragile to physically survive in the NFL. We should be looking either in the draft or the market for a deep threat wide out next year. Even Jordy has been here since 2009.

11. Voltron

Voltron Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +72
    Quarless, has been practicing with the team for a few weeks already, and had been cleared a few weeks ago. I found it odd that someone was not cut back then to make a spot for him, but then MM probably saw this day coming, and held off on cutting someone and just let Quarless practice a few weeks to get the rust off.

Here is a vid that was uploaded Dec 1.

12. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,895
    4 TE's? Guessing they feel that they can't slide Backman safely to the PS?

13. Voltron

Voltron Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +72
    I think that may be the reason. I wonder if MM will be experimenting with new TE schemes, like NE likes to do.

14. Patriotplayer90

Patriotplayer90 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +340
    Has he had a history of injuries? I would not say somebody is too fragile based off of one injury.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    I think they were really hoping Ty would be able to come back, but finally realized shutting him down will give him the mindset that he needs to just concentrate on healing. He needed to break that cycle of trying to get back on the field and then re-injuring the area and IR was the way to do it.

He wasn't exactly very effective before his injury, so I'm skeptical how much he'll contribute this year. I have hopes, but i have reservations. We're going back a few years, but if he can regain that form and give us a middle presence and a more able blocker in the run game, it will take a little pressure off everyone else and make a big difference.

16. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,909
    Rodgers lost most of his rookie season due to a broken foot. He too fragile for the NFL too?

Pretty steep conclusion based on one injury.

17. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    IMO you lose credibility with your "too fragile" comment about Montgomery that even green bolded text can't overcome. And more creative name-calling for Quarless would make your point even better.

18. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    Quarless has had moments of really good play but then he tended to disappear for games at a time. His blocking always seemed to be consistent in the running game. If McCarthy can implement a two TE scheme that can run the ball and create quick passing targets for Rodgers, it should open up a lot more of the offense and keep #12 from getting pummeled.

This is the right thing for Montgomery. It always felt as though the Packers were just waiting for Quarless to be ready and then they would swap roster spots. They were probably betting that someone else would end up on IR giving Montgomery a shot at the playoffs but this ankle sprain needs a long rest. They should give him one of those doggie chariots so that he stays off the thing

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  19. milani

milani Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +72
    No. I watched him at the Charger game. Every time he got bumped or pushed or tried to block he got manhandled. The couple of times he was tackled he looked like broken glass. Teams started to play press coverage on us. Even though he is fast he needs more upper body strength if he is going to last. You don't like seeing your wide receivers on the ground even when they are not in the play.

20. milani

milani Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +72
    Quarless has been an adequate back up TE. He got his chance when Finley in 2010 went down. He was satisfactory but not exceptional. His fundamentals are sound. But coming from a school that has a history of producing good NFL players like Penn State one would have expected a lot more. Otherwise, draft a TE from a Big 12 school like Finley.

21. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Montgomery is going to have ankle surgery next week: http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...tgomery-scheduled-for-ankle-surgery-next-week
    Yes, as I wrote, "If Quarless is healthy, he'll help. He won't be anything close to a cure-all - neither was Montgomery BTW - but IMO compared to Rodgers and Perillo he's a better blocker and receiving threat."

The last worry I have about Montgomery is he's "too fragile". Not sure how you could have watched him in preseason and through the 5+ games of the regular season and come to that conclusion. His ankle injury was severe enough to require surgery. And not that this is definitive or "proves" anything this is what McGinn had to say about him after he played 66 snaps against the Chiefs: "Montgomery...aside from two downfield blocking penalties, was solid. He's strong, quick and knows what he's doing." That's my overall impression of him before he got injured.

22. C-Lee

C-Lee Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +352
    Ty got ROCKED on that hit.