TT remarks on Bookman

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Team impressed by Bookman
Sun, 21 May 2006 18:28:17 -0700

Randy Covitz, of the Kansas City Star, reports Green Bay Packers WR Leo Bookman has made an early impression as a wide receiver in the team's offseason program. Bookman hasn't played football since 2002 at Kansas. In March, Bookman, who is 6 feet 2 and 213 pounds, broke the unofficial 40-yard dash record inside the Packers' Hutson Center. His first set of 40s was timed in 4.22, 4.24 and 4.25, and his second was 4.19, 4.21 and 4.22. A few days later, Bookman said he ran 4.26 on grass for the Chiefs. "He's still learning the game, but he's a nice-sized kid, looks like he catches the ball pretty good and can run like the wind," Packers' general manager Ted Thompson said.

It would be great if Bookman shows he can play. The receiving corpse would only get better.

OP
OP
B

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I,m guessing practice squad for at least the beginning of the year, then hopefully getting moved up at some point. You can teach a guy how to run routes,catch and block, you cant' teach 4.2 - 40 speed.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:D Got my fingers crossed this kid makes a huge impact in the NFL and as a Packer. If he already has the hands and speed the rest should be easy enough to learn. Read in an earlier post that he does run pretty decent routes. Probably will have to work his way into the rotation. Glad to hear that so far he's doing pretty well.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've seen the guy run the 200 at the Drake Relays...he's a stud in terms of speed...but I'm not too fond of track guys in football...Shroeder and Driver more or less panned out...but speed is only a small component of what you need to be a football player.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with that speed, we can let driver do the routes and just run this guy up the sideline for bombs all day. but seriously, i think the WR competition is the best one to watch all pre season. Especially whent he guys from NFL-E who have been having huge years have a chance in this camp.

it could be some great competition. and competition will only make them better. right now the only thing set on that depth chart is DD. wether Jennings, bookman, boreighter, and even fergy who is supposed to be "better than ever" (of course whose gonna say they are worse than ever) are all lookin to be number 2. and you never know who is gonna step up and be the next big thing at reciever.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
definetly i have him in mind for number 2 just forgot to add him... my bad.... he has had a 1000 yard year ... whose to say beside Donald he cant do it again. hes still young.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One stategy with a guy like this is tosend him on a deep pattern taking a CB and safety with him. DB's have to respect Favre's arm.

This permits routes underneath to be more lightly defended. If they let him go undefended, Favre could hit him for a long one.

With 2 rookies unlikely to get cut, Gardner and Driver as experienced veterans, he will likely have to beat out Ferguson and Boerigter to be on the roster. He has to beat Lucas, Butler, and Martin for a practice squad spot.

There are a lot of talented guy who will be cut from the team.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a guy like Bookman could take out 2 players from the play, a guy like Jennings that is excellent generating yards AFTER the catch could thrive.
It's a long shot, but if this Bookman can catch and Jennings can make an impact this could become reality this year or in the years to come.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Bookman and Jennings have excellent speed and apparently not afraid to go get one. They are also supposed to have decent hands. Hopefully they both can contribute but with the limited number of WR's to carry how possible would it be to get them past other teams unto the practice squad should it be necessary?

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears that we have some good depth at WR, but remember that it takes awhile for WRs to develop in the WCO. It's a complicated offense and requires precise route-running, which is difficult for most rookies.

I wouldn't expect a huge impact outside of special teams for these guys. Most likely Jennings will be our #4. After that it's a toss up for #5-6. I think we'll end up with 6 WRs on the final roster though since they're looking to use Davenport as a FB/RB.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
Packers | Team impressed by Bookman
Sun, 21 May 2006 18:28:17 -0700

Randy Covitz, of the Kansas City Star, reports Green Bay Packers WR Leo Bookman has made an early impression as a wide receiver in the team's offseason program. Bookman hasn't played football since 2002 at Kansas. In March, Bookman, who is 6 feet 2 and 213 pounds, broke the unofficial 40-yard dash record inside the Packers' Hutson Center. His first set of 40s was timed in 4.22, 4.24 and 4.25, and his second was 4.19, 4.21 and 4.22. A few days later, Bookman said he ran 4.26 on grass for the Chiefs. "He's still learning the game, but he's a nice-sized kid, looks like he catches the ball pretty good and can run like the wind," Packers' general manager Ted Thompson said.

It would be great if Bookman shows he can play. The receiving corpse would only get better.

I like how you used 'corpse' in there :)

tonytokes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I wanna know is.........

Why hasnt the guy played football since 2002? I wouldn't get too excited about the kid if no one else has ???

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With that kind of speed, we have to find a job for Bookman. If we stick him on the practice squad someone will snatch him up. Make him the 6th receiver/2nd kick returner.

Michael Lewis (the Beer Guy) didn't have anything going for him but speed when NO gave him a shot...

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well at least they say he can catch the ball. That's the problem with most of these speed guys. He's also got the size too which is somewhat unusual for that speed. Most the burners are smaller.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at 4.2 he needs to be a packer.

kick returning and special teams... weve been lookin for speed and game breaking in those areas for a while.