TT and MM and "past" glory

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT and MM are both to blame for this mess. 2010 was a long time ago but some ppl give these two wayyy to much credit. TT drafted Aaron Rodgers? so what? He drafted the best player available, who wouldn't have?. MM is this qb "guru" but he inherited two future Hall of Famers in Rodgers and Fart. Rodgers made MM..not the other way around. I still can't understand why they wasted so much precious time tying to develop Harrell and coleman just to cut both of them instead of investing in a backup. The backup Qb is just as important as the starter and should approach each game like the starter..but there has to be a guy in place CAPABLE of being the backup and that's the responsibility of the HC and the GM imo...nostly GM. TT lovers.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
(1) TT and MM are both to blame for this mess. (2) 2010 was a long time ago but some ppl give these two wayyy to much credit. (3) TT drafted Aaron Rodgers? so what? He drafted the best player available, who wouldn't have?. MM is this qb "guru" but he inherited two future Hall of Famers in Rodgers and Fart. (4) Rodgers made MM..not the other way around. (5) I still can't understand why they wasted so much precious time tying to develop Harrell and coleman just to cut both of them instead of investing in a backup. The backup Qb is just as important as the starter and should approach each game like the starter..but there has to be a guy in place CAPABLE of being the backup and that's the responsibility of the HC and the GM imo...nostly GM. TT lovers.

(1) Obviously.

(2) Another “what have you done for me lately” comment. [caution tangent approaching] BTW, some here feel justified in using that expression. It used to be used to portray someone who says it as a whiney brat lacking perspective. For example in the comic strip The Boondocks: Riley: What's Granddad done for me lately? Huey: He gave you life. Riley: What's he done for me lately? Huey: He got you a Playstation for Christmas. Riley: It's March already! What has he done for me lately?[/tangent]

(3) Bovine Scatology. Dolphins, Browns, Bears, Bucs, Titans, Vikings TWICE, Cards, Redskins, Lions, Cowboys TWICE, Chargers, Saints, Panthers, Chiefs, Texans, Bengals, Rams, Jags, Ravens, and Raiders. You know what that is? That’s a list of 20 GMs who passed on Rodgers, not counting the 49ers who just thought Smith would be better. The Vikings passed on him twice! Enough of that BS: “Who wouldn’t have?” There’s a list that answers your question. By the way, Thompson’s second pick as GM was Nick Collins. Must have gotten lucky again, right? I mean who wouldn’t have taken him?

(4) Wrong again. You must have missed how Rodgers played his first two seasons in Green Bay. There’s a lot you can criticize McCarthy for, but this isn’t one of them: He made Rodgers the QB he is today. You are engaging in the worst kind of revisionist history with the last two points.

(5) I don’t think it was reasonable for Thompson and McCarthy to expect Harrell to improve going into this season as this would have been his fourth season in Green Bay. But I don’t fault them for not expecting him to regress and that’s what happened. They apparently saw enough potential out of Coleman to bring him back this season. He has the physical tools but IMO wasn’t ready mentally. There is no question they were late coming to the conclusion that neither would be good enough as backups for Rodgers. My guess is they were trying to give one of the two time to emerge. If McCarthy were hopelessly loyal, like some here contend, he would have stuck with them anyway. But he/they didn’t and I’m glad they didn’t. After making the mistake of expecting one of them to show enough to win the backup job, the worst thing would have been keeping them anyway. So they scrambled to find a backup. But IMO that’s why they wasted so much time. Like everyone else on the planet, they make mistakes.

TT hater. :rolleyes:

(BTW, the mods may want to consider consolidating these types of threads under the title, “I can’t help but whine and complain incessantly”. Just a thought.:D)

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(1) Obviously.

(2) Another “what have you done for me lately” comment. [caution tangent approaching] BTW, some here feel justified in using that expression. It used to be used to portray someone who says it as a whiney brat lacking perspective. For example in the comic strip The Boondocks: Riley: What's Granddad done for me lately? Huey: He gave you life. Riley: What's he done for me lately? Huey: He got you a Playstation for Christmas. Riley: It's March already! What has he done for me lately?[/tangent]

(3) Bovine Scatology. Dolphins, Browns, Bears, Bucs, Titans, Vikings TWICE, Cards, Redskins, Lions, Cowboys TWICE, Chargers, Saints, Panthers, Chiefs, Texans, Bengals, Rams, Jags, Ravens, and Raiders. You know what that is? That’s a list of 20 GMs who passed on Rodgers, not counting the 49ers who just thought Smith would be better. The Vikings passed on him twice! Enough of that BS: “Who wouldn’t have?” There’s a list that answers your question. By the way, Thompson’s second pick as GM was Nick Collins. Must have gotten lucky again, right? I mean who wouldn’t have taken him?

(4) Wrong again. You must have missed how Rodgers played his first two seasons in Green Bay. There’s a lot you can criticize McCarthy for, but this isn’t one of them: He made Rodgers the QB he is today. You are engaging in the worst kind of revisionist history with the last two points.

(5) I don’t think it was reasonable for Thompson and McCarthy to expect Harrell to improve going into this season as this would have been his fourth season in Green Bay. But I don’t fault them for not expecting him to regress and that’s what happened. They apparently saw enough potential out of Coleman to bring him back this season. He has the physical tools but IMO wasn’t ready mentally. There is no question they were late coming to the conclusion that neither would be good enough as backups for Rodgers. My guess is they were trying to give one of the two time to emerge. If McCarthy were hopelessly loyal, like some here contend, he would have stuck with them anyway. But he/they didn’t and I’m glad they didn’t. After making the mistake of expecting one of them to show enough to win the backup job, the worst thing would have been keeping them anyway. So they scrambled to find a backup. But IMO that’s why they wasted so much time. Like everyone else on the planet, they make mistakes.

TT hater. :rolleyes:

(BTW, the mods may want to consider consolidating these types of threads under the title, “I can’t help but whine and complain incessantly”. Just a thought.:D)

Haha. ok man

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don"t know about "past" glory, but if they want "future" glory they have to bring in some guy with modern and new approaches to defense and go get him the players he, not "they" needs. TT and MM are NOT great defense creators, both drafting wise and coaching wise.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To add to Jack's third point about who wouldn't have drafted Rodgers. That was TT's first ever draft pick for the Packers. At the time, Favre was in the tail-end of his career, but still very effective - heck, he led us to the NFC Championship not too long thereafter. At that point, Favre was playing part-GM and wanting weapons at his disposal. So, what does the first time GM do in his very first draft with a QB considered deity by the entire Packer nation? He drafts a QB! That takes major cajones to be comfortable in your philosophy and scouting to make that selection because if Rodgers doesn't pan out and the team slides into oblivion upon Favre's retirement, TT is fired instantly. Instead, the Packers are set to enjoy another decade+ of success and have another SB win because of that selection.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To add to Jack's third point about who wouldn't have drafted Rodgers. That was TT's first ever draft pick for the Packers. At the time, Favre was in the tail-end of his career, but still very effective - heck, he led us to the NFC Championship not too long thereafter. At that point, Favre was playing part-GM and wanting weapons at his disposal. So, what does the first time GM do in his very first draft with a QB considered deity by the entire Packer nation? He drafts a QB! That takes major cajones to be comfortable in your philosophy and scouting to make that selection because if Rodgers doesn't pan out and the team slides into oblivion upon Favre's retirement, TT is fired instantly. Instead, the Packers are set to enjoy another decade+ of success and have another SB win because of that selection.

True and good point's...however that's past glory.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Problem with your post: Favre wouldn't have retired from GB in '08 if he hadn't been shoved out the door. Right or wrong this is my belief. If Rodgers hadn't panned out they would've known it in practice and would not have shoved Favre out the door in early '08. Also it can be argued successfully as well that Aaron was a starter a year before he started to 'pan out' 6-10 in year 1 is hardly 'panning out'.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem with your post: Favre wouldn't have retired from GB in '08 if he hadn't been shoved out the door. Right or wrong this is my belief. If Rodgers hadn't panned out they would've known it in practice and would not have shoved Favre out the door in early '08. Also it can be argued successfully as well that Aaron was a starter a year before he started to 'pan out' 6-10 in year 1 is hardly 'panning out'.

Shoved out the door? By who? Pretty sure he walked out the door, was invited back, got to the door, changed his mind, was invited back again, got to the door, changed his mind again, then later came back to the door and pounded on it begging for someone to let him in.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shoved out the door? By who? Pretty sure he walked out the door, was invited back, got to the door, changed his mind, was invited back again, got to the door, changed his mind again, then later came back to the door and pounded on it begging for someone to let him in.

You forgot his "official" retirement too.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodell - you still need to re-define glory, because you are missing the good stuff.

2010 SB. Capers is a perfect example of a coach being kept around to long because of what he did in the past. The defense has been average to below average for about 3 yrs now and have been terrible in some playoff loses...not bad...terrible (Charles Barkley voice). He should have gotten fiered last season but yet he's still able to stick around to lead yet another bad defense. Yes we have some guy's dinged up but like some of you like to say... "we have some talent on that side of the ball." Well why are they so bad? the only real significant player that has missed significant time is Hayward. Can sombody please tell me why Capers is still caling the defense? TT drafted defenders fo him like people wanted so why is Capers still here? oh i know..because of what he did in 2010 with the defense. We could have had Rob Ryan or Lovie Smith running the defense. Ryan has turned the Saints D into a respectable unit who is ranked in the top 5 with the offense to match. Imagine if we had a top 5 defense? even with Rodgers out we probably could've still won at least 2 of these past 3 games. I know, i'm wrong tho right?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In the OP rodell330 hammers Thompson and McCarthy and makes no mention of Capers. He doesn't reply to my answer to his OP with substance so he has to pivot to Capers. Perhaps he's just advocating for that thread titled, "I can’t help but whine and complain incessantly”? :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts