Tramon Williams

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut today by the Browns. Bring him back on a 1 year deal as the first step in patching the secondary? Hey, gotta start somewhere.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly hope TT can do better than a much slower, 34 yr. old (next month b-day) former Packer. Pass...

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hes far better than what we have now. Depending on what the pack can snag him for I think depth wise it can work.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
might as well get Woodson back while we're at it. Wonder how we would have ended up if we hung onto Heyward....

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly hope TT can do better than a much slower, 34 yr. old (next month b-day) former Packer. Pass...

If you're looking for a big FA splash signing at corner, I think you'll be disappointed. The secondary was sorely lacking any veteran presence at corner this year. I certainly don't think Tramon is THE missing piece to the puzzle, however if you brought him in on a 1 year deal to help bridge the gap for some of the younger corners to improve and provide depth as well, and couple that with an early round pick at corner, I think collectively we might be in much better shape than we were this year.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon is finished. If he can't play for the Clowns he can't play for anybody! If the Packers stock their roster with Clown rejects then there is no hope.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why waste a roster spot on an old player you didn't want 3 years ago. The Browns are not awash in superior talent and he couldn't hang on there.

Actually we did want him, and we tried to re-sign him. We just weren't willing to offer $7M a year.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Id try and get him on the cheap. Better than the Walmart Greeters we got at CB.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The annual posts to sign a known name player.. No matter how horrible he looked last year

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The annual posts to sign a known name player.. No matter how horrible he looked last year

Yeah, that's it. :rolleyes: I just suggested him because I know his name. Not because our cornerback position was a house of horrors last year, or because he knows the defensive system already, or because the secondary lacks any veteran depth, or because he'd be cheap and short term and I know TT is unlikely to spend much in FA, or because he was a decent corner here and wouldn't count against the comp pick formula.

Seriously, not every familiar name suggested needs to be dismissed and blasted, some of them if you actually think about them do make sense on many levels. If you disagree, state your reasons why, don't just mock it. It's not like I am suggesting adding Ryan Fitzpatrick here. Obviously I'd love to add Malcolm Butler and AJ Bouye but I'm trying to be realistic about who Thompson may kick the tires on.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...if you brought him in on a 1 year deal to help bridge the gap for some of the younger corners OLB to improve and provide depth as well, and couple that with an early round pick at corner OLB I think collectively we might be in much better shape than we were this year.
Fixed your response to fit my line of thinking. We desperately need CB's but Tramon, IMHO, offers us very little.

I definitely think a vet OLB needs to be brought in on a reasonable 1 or 2 yr deal to bridge the gap. Don't think TT will pay what Perry will get, and the savings of $11.1Mil on the cap by cutting CM3 would help strengthen other positions. Don't want to derail this thread, just liked your idea but at a different position.

D

Deleted member 6794

If you're looking for a big FA splash signing at corner, I think you'll be disappointed.

It is finally time for Thompson to stop shopping for bargains and address the cornerback and outside linebacker positions with veterans in their prime. Tramon Williams isn´t the solution to the Packers woes in the secondary.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because our entire secondary didn't look horrible last year, to the point where Tramon would probably be a low priced upgrade over the production we have if used properly?

Seriously, corner was by far our weak link last year, he'll be cheap and in TTs price range, he won't require a long-term deal, he wouldn't count against the comp pick formula, he left on good terms, and he already knows the system.

Those are a ton of reasons that it makes sense beyond 'knowing his name. ' If you'd like to point out reasons it doesn't by all means disagree with it, but there's no reason to mock a perfectly reasonable and inexpensive suggested veteran add at a position of terrible weakness which lacks any veterans. It's not like I am suggesting adding Ryan Fitzpatrick here. Obviously I'd love to add Malcolm Butler and AJ Bouye but I'm trying to be realistic about who Thompson may kick the tires on.
I somewhat understand what you are saying but you were already given the only reason you need, he was cut by the browns...

There is no reason to bring him back

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can't make the Browns, he's likely not the same player he was when we let him go.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fixed your response to fit my line of thinking. We desperately need CB's but Tramon, IMHO, offers us very little.

I definitely think a vet OLB needs to be brought in on a reasonable 1 or 2 yr deal to bridge the gap. Don't think TT will pay what Perry will get, and the savings of $11.1Mil on the cap by cutting CM3 would help strengthen other positions. Don't want to derail this thread, just liked your idea but at a different position.

I like it, fixing the pass rush might be the beat way to start fixing the secondary. I think Perry will be retained though .

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is finally time for Thompson to stop shopping for bargains and address the cornerback and outside linebacker positions with veterans in their prime. Tramon Williams isn´t the solution to the Packers woes in the secondary.

Ideally yes, but I don't think it will happen. We enter every offseason waiting to see if Thompson will change his stripes, why would he change now?

D

Deleted member 6794

I like it, fixing the pass rush might be the beat way to start fixing the secondary.

Unfortunately that only works if your cornerbacks can at least cover opposing receivers for two seconds.

Ideally yes, but I don't think it will happen. We enter every offseason waiting to see if Thompson will change his stripes, why would he change now?

Hopefully somebody in the organization has lit a fire under his ***. Otherwise I don´t expect Thompson to change at all.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I somewhat understand what you are saying but you were already given the only reason you need, he was cut by the browns...

There is no reason to bring him back

Wouldn't having been cut by the Rams have been a reason not to sign Jared Cook last year?

I can see the point, the Browns are awful, I just think there's usually other factors at work (usually money) involved.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it, fixing the pass rush might be the beat way to start fixing the secondary. I think Perry will be retained though .
I've already stated my opinion on this, but I'm tagging on again. Our pass rush must get better or any money spent on the back end of the defense will be largely wasted.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've already stated my opinion on this, but I'm tagging on again. Our pass rush must get better or any money spent on the back end of the defense will be largely wasted.

Once again you completely ignore that the pass rushers have absolutely no chance of putting pressure on opposing quarterbacks if the cornerbacks can´t stay within five yards of receivers for at least two seconds.