Training Camp, 2023

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Malik Heath beat everyone.
Ballantine got beat every time.
It would have been nice if they'd shown more of the actual practice, instead of showing Packer propagandists talking about the past, and doing interviews that did nothing to enhance the viewing. It was poorly directed, from a viewing perspective. Very disappointed.

At least we get to watch them at Cincy next week. That will give us at least a little better info.

I liked Heath too. He has some speed. I wonder if he has an outside chance. Maybe the practice squad?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would have been nice if they'd shown more of the actual practice, instead of showing Packer propagandists talking about the past, and doing interviews that did nothing to enhance the viewing. It was poorly directed, from a viewing perspective. Very disappointed.

At least we get to watch them at Cincy next week. That will give us at least a little better info.

I liked Heath too. He has some speed. I wonder if he has an outside chance. Maybe the practice squad?
I agree. I would like to know who is winning/losing on the line. For instance, two times in a row I saw #46 get to the QB in a hurry. Did he beat someone or was he blitzing and found holes both times. And I don't know who he is. So in general I would have liked the announcers to say names of players. I think our two headed monster at TE might get something going. If Heath does not make the squad; I would think our W/Os have some very good depth. I did not see him much but I like the way he caught the ball and also the way he runs.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
QB Danny Etling released today. Looks like McGough and Clifford will fight it out for the #2 QB position

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. I would like to know who is winning/losing on the line. For instance, two times in a row I saw #46 get to the QB in a hurry. Did he beat someone or was he blitzing and found holes both times. And I don't know who he is. So in general I would have liked the announcers to say names of players. I think our two headed monster at TE might get something going. If Heath does not make the squad; I would think our W/Os have some very good depth. I did not see him much but I like the way he caught the ball and also the way he runs.
LB Jimmy Phillips is #46.

Reaction score
Just think creed Humphrey was the next pick after Myers… whiffed on that one
We’ve done that a little further back time wise at OT with Jason Spriggs (48th overall) and even traded up for him. We almost seem to do better earlier as in Day1 (Bulaga) or Earlier Day3
(Tom, Bak, Linsley etc)

Last edited:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We’ve done that a little further back time wise at OT with Jason Spriggs (48th overall) and even traded up for him. We almost seem to do better earlier as in Day1 (Bulaga) or Earlier Day3
(Tom, Bak, Linsley etc)
Draft is always a gamble and like a box of chocolates never know whatcha gonna get lol

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo, only if the staff feels that Clifford are totally incapable of leading the offense
My thoughts exactly. They have Clifford under a fairly extended contract, and could extend it, if they find he's got the tools to develop into a realistically decent back up. It's pretty much a given that he has completely outplayed Etling in camp, and it looks like McGough could be the #3, because he has some sort of pro experience.

I don't think they're going out on a limb with Clifford. Although I'm not comparing him talent-wise with Tom Brady, I see him coming in as a sort of project, that could develop into something special, at least from the perspective of a reliable back up. Beyond that? Who would have thought that Kurt Warner would have ended up in the HOF, when he was on the Packers practice field?

Ya just never know about them there QBs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like early today Love threw a terrible pick intended for Doubs on a slant that Savage walked under and got essentially.....Jaire yelled to Love to "Wake Up"

Proceeded (Love that is) it sounds to have a solid rest of the day. Anders missed one

in first session but connected rest if reports seem right.

Bane was back out there off PUP and Dubose finally practiced.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also as many have called, it strongly seems Zach Tom is one of the starting 5, it just depends where that happens and that seemingly may be controlled more by Bakh and Myers than Tom himself. When Bakh is in it seems Tom will be that RT, but don't count out him at Center if staff feels the OL with the least ***** in the armor to be with Nijman at RT and Tom at Center.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like early today Love threw a terrible pick intended for Doubs on a slant that Savage walked under and got essentially.....Jaire yelled to Love to "Wake Up"

Proceeded (Love that is) it sounds to have a solid rest of the day. Anders missed one

in first session but connected rest if reports seem right.

Bane was back out there off PUP and Dubose finally practiced.
I guess good for Savage. I hope he can do that against our opponents. Sounds like a Favre to Deion pick.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet we will hear reports how bad he was throwing
People get way too concerned at this juncture. This time of the season is about making mistakes, and correcting them, so it doesn't happen during the season. People need to cut Love and everyone else a little slack. None of us have a clue as to how it's going to go when the rubber hits the road.

Reaction score
People get way too concerned at this juncture. This time of the season is about making mistakes, and correcting them, so it doesn't happen during the season. People need to cut Love and everyone else a little slack. None of us have a clue as to how it's going to go when the rubber hits the road.
That’s exactly what I’ve been saying all along. From the very start we haven’t had even close to adequate sample size. That’s good play or bad play it doesn’t matter. Obviously it’s encouraging to see an QB play on a ferocious level because then it’s just a matter of can he repeat it regularly?

We also know for a fact. Even great QB’s have had entire games where they’ve played poorly, especially inside the first few games of a season. That happens after years and years of starting and it just seems like Defenses will have the upper hand at the beginning of the season and sometimes again at the end of the season. Until we get a full body of work across at minimum a few months it’s all just conjecture. If I recall correctly, even QB’s taken #1 overall can struggle for a bit at the Pro level. These guys are the best of the best and it’s on a much higher level than what they saw in college. Some will adapt faster than others etc. some never adapt. Some take some time and then blossom. Even 1 complete season doesn’t fully depict the career ceiling these guys have.

The coaches in the business look for cues as to showing improvement in key areas. Us casual fans might blame a QB, when we don’t even really know what the play design entails. How can we judge a QB if we don’t even know the working parts of a particular play? We can’t. We’re mostly just using our eyeball litmus test and it’s very limited in its accuracy. I’m quite sure some fans will make grande proclamations from Love’s
2nd career start across 3.5 seasons. I don’t care if Love goes 3TD’s 275 yards and O INT it’s irrelevant until he can string 3-4 of those.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts