Training Camp, 2021

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the JS Online podcast the other week, they discussed his slide down the ILB depth chart during camp. Officially the coaches said that there was no change in his status, but the journalists definitely noticed something in his switch to OLB...and this was before the first pre-season game. GM's don't usually give up on players this quickly for merely sucking. My guess is that there was something else going on with Kamal. All that I know is that after several instances of noticing Jets players wide open, I finally grabbed my Packers roster to see who #54 was that was losing everybody in coverage....Kamal Martin.

Good luck Kamal. You looked amazing for one pre-season, decent during part of 2020, and terrible in 2021.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the JS Online podcast the other week, they discussed his slide down the ILB depth chart during camp. Officially the coaches said that there was no change in his status, but the journalists definitely noticed something in his switch to OLB...and this was before the first pre-season game. GM's don't usually give up on players this quickly for merely sucking. My guess is that there was something else going on with Kamal. All that I know is that after several instances of noticing Jets players wide open, I finally grabbed my Packers roster to see who #54 was that was losing everybody in coverage....Kamal Martin.

Good luck Kamal. You looked amazing for one pre-season, decent during part of 2020, and terrible in 2021.
I thought he looked very promising last year. There must be something else and entirely non-football issue.

D

Deleted member 6794

Gotcha. Is there newer information on Bak (I was out of the loop for like 3 weeks) Last I saw they were projecting like he could have a shot week 1 (or at least soon after)

I don't have any update on Bakhtiari but time is running out for him to get off the PUP list. If he's still on it once the season starts he will miss at least the first six games.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
still surprises me they threw in the towel so early when I've so many others stick around not showing hardly anything. I thought he looked good at times when he got in last year, figured they'd give him a while yet.
Your eyes weren't playing tricks, he did look good last year. That was expected to get better in camp and PS. It hasn't. He's kinda like our version of Keston Hiura. Where did that guy go?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect his injury caused more issues than we may ever know as fans....but truly bet it is a mixture of that AND growth of others around him (Burks especially it seems).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have any update on Bakhtiari but time is running out for him to get off the PUP list. If he's still on it once the season starts he will miss at least the first six games.
I think if Bakh was gonna be ready for week 1 we'd probably know it, or have better indications. (Then again maybe it's something MLF and Gluten want to hold close.) That would mean a starting OL without two All Pros (from last year) at C and LT. There's enough talent to get through easier opponents, but that doesn't last long and certainly not for 6 weeks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he looked very promising last year. There must be something else and entirely non-football issue.
I think you're right. Whatever is bothering him, it happened before camp started. Even that's just a guess. But the drop off in performance has been painfully obvious.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if Bakh was gonna be ready for week 1 we'd probably know it, or have better indications. (Then again maybe it's something MLF and Gluten want to hold close.) That would mean a starting OL without two All Pros (from last year) at C and LT. There's enough talent to get through easier opponents, but that doesn't last long and certainly not for 6 weeks.

What are the options if he could be ready, say, by week 3 or 4? Could they take him off PUP and maybe IR him for a few weeks? I'm not very well brushed up on any of that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are the options if he could be ready, say, by week 3 or 4? Could they take him off PUP and maybe IR him for a few weeks? I'm not very well brushed up on any of that.
I think Captain is more qualified to answer that. He did say that if Bakh starts the season on PUP, he has to stay there 6 weeks. I didn't know it was 6 weeks. They can go on IR Eligible to Return, but I think that's even a longer wait (8 weeks?).

My total guess is we'll see Bakh line up week 1. Maybe I'm just being too optimistic. He's an athletic freak, the best LT in football, and the way last season ended, I'm sure he did everything and anything possible to get ready.

The only think working against him is his size. A 200 lb WR with an ACL tear can probably get back faster than a 300 lb plus OL. That's a lot of weight groin through the knee.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on timing of when organization feels he will return, I think there is a good chance we see him on roster but not active for gamedays for a few weeks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on timing of when organization feels he will return, I think there is a good chance we see him on roster but not active for gamedays for a few weeks.
That makes sense. He's certainly worth holding a roster spot.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My total guess is we'll see Bakh line up week 1. Maybe I'm just being too optimistic. He's an athletic freak, the best LT in football, and the way last season ended, I'm sure he did everything and anything possible to get ready.

The only think working against him is his size. A 200 lb WR with an ACL tear can probably get back faster than a 300 lb plus OL. That's a lot of weight groin through the knee.

If I had to make a guess, I would say he won't be starting week 1. I think he's a physical freak of nature but, as you've pointed out, I think his bigger body type coupled with a later in the season injury, just may push that timeline out a bit. My initial thoughts were that he would stay on PUP because of how late in the season it was when he was injured. I'm now hoping, that if it's possible, to keep him on IR or the active if his rehab looks more like he'll be ready after week 1 but before week 6.

Again, I'm illiterate as to how all that works, so if anyone has any insight, I would love to know the particulars.

Reaction score
I'm concerned about both lines entering the season. With Bakhtiari most likely missing a significant part of the season there's a lot of uncertainty on the offensive line and the defensive line is lacking talent. Inside linebacker might become an issue as well, which is troubling considering the DL isn't a strength.

We'll have to wait and see if special teams have improved with a new coordinator running it.

Overall the roster is good enough to compete for a Super Bowl.
Gotcha. Is there newer information on Bak (I was out of the loop for like 3 weeks) Last I saw they were projecting like he could have a shot week 1 (or at least soon after?)

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I legit wonder if they'll activate him and then IR him. Based on what I have been able to read, he's then only out 3 weeks (assuming he might be ready by week 4.)

All we have to do is get him to the initial 53. The only real risk is cutting someone for 2 days and then potentially missing a chance to re-sign them once Bhak is on IR.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen all the articles about Bakhtiari being on track with no setbacks, but I really see zero chance of a Week 1 start. There is the first week where they slowly let the player test it out and then rest to see how much swelling there is....there is the stamina that needs to come back. He doesn't seem ready to go in the three weeks remaining.

* I would be shocked if he played Week 1
* I wouldn't be surprised if they play it safe by putting him on the PUP
* I could see them putting him on IR for return in Week 4

It may come down to a delicate dance between three points: when they realistically think he can play (Week 4 versus Week 7 or later), how the OL is shaping up in his absence, and whether or not they need his roster spot for another promising player (a 7th receiver, a 3rd QB, a 5th DL). If they put him on the regular season PUP (6 weeks) he does not count against the 53 man roster. If they put him on IR (3 weeks) then he counts against the 53 man roster.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen all the articles about Bakhtiari being on track with no setbacks, but I really see zero chance of a Week 1 start. There is the first week where they slowly let the player test it out and then rest to see how much swelling there is....there is the stamina that needs to come back. He doesn't seem ready to go in the three weeks remaining.

It may come down to a delicate dance between three points: when they realistically think he can play (Week 4 versus Week 7 or later), how the OL is shaping up in his absence, and whether or not they need his roster spot for another promising player (a 7th receiver, a 3rd QB, a 5th DL). If they put him on the regular season PUP (6 weeks) he does not count against the 53 man roster. If they put him on IR (3 weeks) then he counts against the 53 man roster.
Excellent explanation. Thanks!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks for explaining the difference between PUP and IR. Very interesting and useful.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they put him on the regular season PUP (6 weeks) he does not count against the 53 man roster. If they put him on IR (3 weeks) then he counts against the 53 man roster.

I don't think that's quite right.

Once on IR, he doesn't count against the 53. However, if you IR someone with the intent to return them after 3 weeks, they have to make the initial 53.

I forget the exact day, but on cutdown day, Bhak makes the 53 and counts against the roster limits. Wait the required time (2 days? a week?) and put him on IR. He then does not count against the 53 until reactivated. Yes, in that window, you're down a player/potentially going to lose your 54th player.

If players on IR counted against the 53, what would be the point of IR?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that is how it works. I could have explained it more thoroughly as you did. However, my point was that they still have to cut an extra player because he initially counts against the 53 man roster. Let's say they cut Funchess (or insert any desired bubble player) in order to keep Bakhtiari on the 53. Once they move Bakhtiari to IR there is a good chance that Funchess would be signed by another team.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that is how it works. I could have explained it more thoroughly as you did. However, my point was that they still have to cut an extra player because he initially counts against the 53 man roster. Let's say they cut Funchess (or insert any desired bubble player) in order to keep Bakhtiari on the 53. Once they move Bakhtiari to IR there is a good chance that Funchess would be signed by another team.
Agreed that is the risk. If they want to play this game, it seem more likely they would play games and keep 7-8WRs, cut the no. 4 or 5 safety, and then reshuffle and do whatever needs to be done after putting Bhak on IR.

I’m often amused by the first few days after final cuts due to weird situations like this.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's got to drive a lot of GM's to drink. There are bound to be the Taysom Hill's that get away, but every team/GM takes some kind of risk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts