Training Camp, 2021

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS has apparently been lighting up camp. I think he's entering the year strong following his performance in the playoffs last year, it's his contract year so he's gotta play well. I think he goes off this year.
Thanks for the update. Yes indeed he can do a lot of damage. Hopefully his route running and catching will improve. That would certainly take double teams off Adams now and then.

Reaction score
From a purely talent/personnel perspective. I’ll reiterate that for once I don’t see a position group that has regressed after reviewing ota, camp and preseason work (sticking to O or D)

Just a note, that for any position group who has an individual player who has regressed.. their is another formidable player making a strong push for that role. That’s refreshing because it’s the exception on a roster verses the year to year norm.

Last year we had some concerns at LB, CB and WR etc.. This year I’m not seeing that.
What are y’all seeing on a macro level?

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS has apparently been lighting up camp. I think he's entering the year strong following his performance in the playoffs last year, it's his contract year so he's gotta play well. I think he goes off this year.
He looked different to me in the last 1/3- 1/4 of the season and playoffs. Could just see it in his body language. It was very good to see and if he’s building in that? His ceiling is high and I want to see how high that kid can go. Don’t know him, but I feel proud/encouraged watching that type of development.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looked different to me in the last 1/3- 1/4 of the season and playoffs. Could just see it in his body language. It was very good to see and if he’s building in that? His ceiling is high and I want to see how high that kid can go. Don’t know him, but I feel proud/encouraged watching that type of development.
Great points and I feel the same. It just has the feel of possibly being that year for MVS. I'm certainly not saying he's on the same level as Adams, not even close, but it took Adams a bit to blossom. I'm hoping that MVS finds his groove and I'm rooting for him to have that breakout year.

D

Deleted member 6794

From a purely talent/personnel perspective. I’ll reiterate that for once I don’t see a position group that has regressed after reviewing ota, camp and preseason work (sticking to O or D)

Just a note, that for any position group who has an individual player who has regressed.. their is another formidable player making a strong push for that role. That’s refreshing because it’s the exception on a roster verses the year to year norm.

Last year we had some concerns at LB, CB and WR etc.. This year I’m not seeing that.
What are y’all seeing on a macro level?

I'm concerned about both lines entering the season. With Bakhtiari most likely missing a significant part of the season there's a lot of uncertainty on the offensive line and the defensive line is lacking talent. Inside linebacker might become an issue as well, which is troubling considering the DL isn't a strength.

We'll have to wait and see if special teams have improved with a new coordinator running it.

Overall the roster is good enough to compete for a Super Bowl.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm concerned about both lines entering the season. With Bakhtiari most likely missing a significant part of the season there's a lot of uncertainty on the offensive line and the defensive line is lacking talent. Inside linebacker might become an issue as well, which is troubling considering the DL isn't a strength.

We'll have to wait and see if special teams have improved with a new coordinator running it.

A lot will be expected of Stokes coming in, tough situation for a rookie but, hey, he's a round 1 pick. Kevin King will remain Kevin King, unreliable physically and on the field. Still, the other positions in the secondary are sound. Some are saying KK will have a break out year, and that would certainly help the undermanned DL. The team will compete for a SB, a good thing.

And what's up with Burks? Is it my imagination or is he actually playing with some passion? I don't watch PS games that closely, but it seemed like he played well against the Texans, and I saw his number a few times yesterday. It would be great if he could live up to his expectations. I'm not holding my breath. It's the PS.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The lines are somewhat concerning, but I have some confidence in them. My biggest concerns about the Packers this season are:

* Linebackers, both inside and outside (assuming Z Smith is out for a while)
* Punting, we need not just another camp leg but a real competition. JK Scott has talent, but at this point has proven too inconsistent for a contending team. Our punter needs to be consistent as to not cost us games in the playoffs due to 21 yard punts. What the &?%# is he practicing every year? How has he not improved?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The lines are somewhat concerning, but I have some confidence in them. My biggest concerns about the Packers this season are:

* Linebackers, both inside and outside (assuming Z Smith is out for a while)
* Punting, we need not just another camp leg but a real competition. JK Scott has talent, but at this point has proven too inconsistent for a contending team. Our punter needs to be consistent as to not cost us games in the playoffs due to 21 yard punts. What the &?%# is he practicing every year? How has he not improved?
I don't understand why they cut the punter they used against Texas (I don't remember his name). He quit-kicked Scott at least in that game. I agree Scott is too unreliable. Seems like Gluten is being stubborn because they spent a draft pick on him. I hope not. Either way, it's gotta be pretty easy to find other kickers. This is one example of why GB STs generally suck.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will hold back my anger until Week 1 if we stick with JK Scott. I still expect the Packers to replace him with someone else's training camp cut. Luckily it is one of the few positions that doesn't require much familiarity with the team. In my opinion, they should have every available leg in camp for added competition. We can cut a few of the guys from the bottom of the 80man roster that we already know will not make the squad.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will hold back my anger until Week 1 if we stick with JK Scott. I still expect the Packers to replace him with someone else's training camp cut. Luckily it is one of the few positions that doesn't require much familiarity with the team. In my opinion, they should have every available leg in camp for added competition. We can cut a few of the guys from the bottom of the 80man roster that we already know will not make the squad.
Improving the punting is an easy way to make STs better. And Scott hasn't set the bar very high. Yeah I will not be happy if he's on the 53 when GB plays NO.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Interesting, Kamal Martin was just released. That leaves us Barnes, Campbell, Burks and Summers. I don't see that changing for day 1 now.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said in another thread:

Kamal release/cut is surprising to me but Burks has to be ecstatic and really Summers and/or McDuffie as well. I’m unsure if we keep 5, and I only have Barnes and Campbell as the locks….this final preseason game will be massive for two of the remaining three as I predict we keep four.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting, Kamal Martin was just released. That leaves us Barnes, Campbell, Burks and Summers. I don't see that changing for day 1 now.
Did he do something? I thought he should some decent stuff last year given the opportunity. Certainly better than what Burks or Summers had shown to that point.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did he do something? I thought he should some decent stuff last year given the opportunity. Certainly better than what Burks or Summers had shown to that point.

I think mixture of never the same after his knee issue last year + Burks is finally improving it seems + Summers is like that high floor type guy (low ceiling) type they've trusted before with some success. McDuffie has been showing flashes and I think Martin just got left outside looking in.

I was hoping it was Summers gone personally.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burks does seem to be doing well, it's Summers over Martin right now that has me scratching my head. He must really be tanking or did something.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

He was terrible on Saturday. Probably sealed his fate. Some of the clips afterwards highlighting him were pretty brutal.

Reaction score

Gotcha. Is there newer information on Bak (I was out of the loop for like 3 weeks) Last I saw they were projecting like he could have a shot week 1 (or at least soon after)

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I mostly listened to the radio out on the boat. I missed most of it.

Same. Fennell highlighted some of his miscues. I also recall reading last week that he was terrible on special teams in practice.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same. Fennell highlighted some of his miscues. I also recall reading last week that he was terrible on special teams in practice.
still surprises me they threw in the towel so early when I've so many others stick around not showing hardly anything. I thought he looked good at times when he got in last year, figured they'd give him a while yet.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
still surprises me they threw in the towel so early when I've so many others stick around not showing hardly anything. I thought he looked good at times when he got in last year, figured they'd give him a while yet.

New DC who has majored in the position-- I guess he felt he saw what he needed to see.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Probably has a lot to do with special teams performance. Burks, who has done very little from scrimmage, has been a core special teamer. It's okay to suck while you figure it out, but you had better contribute in the kicking game. By reports, Martin was a poor special teamer. Ergo, bye Felicia.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts