Training Camp, 2021

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously??? People have lost all perspective in today's society. People's looks and commenting on them is not racist, maybe insensitive depending on what is said but definitely not racist. Calling an Italian having a "big nose" is not racist, though I suspect some would say it is. Calling a polish descendent a "polak" is not racist (I am one). Get over this "wokeism" that has and continues to drive wedges between people simply because of thin skins and sadly, too many people have been taught that they are victims. What happened to mental toughness, ability to let "words, even though they may hurt" slide off ? Too much "powder puff sensitivity" leads to an inability to handle and deal with stress in our society. I have worked with chinese, japanese, vietnamese, mexicans, several latin Americans, blacks, native Americans, E. and W Europeans and Scandinavians; they are tough people and deal with these kinds of "remarks". Apologize, let it go and move on; this is ridiculous in our society today, we harp on what has happened, what someone says "that made us feel bad for a moment", seriously, there are more important issues in Life than someone suggesting another person has "slanted eyes" or many other similar comments.
I don't know that words alone can be racist. Certainly they can be racially insensitive and some of them are used by racists but the words themselves are just words. Context is everything and I would say that using these words does not automatically makes a person racist.

I had to look at 10 different articles before I found one that actually printed the word DF used. Some simply called it a slur and others used a variation of "ch***y". It reminded of the Louis CK routine about the "n word"

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
But the inside linebackers can help stop the run. We have not had that for awhile until the later part of last season.
It starts up front though. Everyone was down on Martinez for making tackles 5 yards down field. Part of that is the push up front. Our ILB's will always be on their heels if the d-line can't get a push. We can't leave that all up to Clark. Hopefully, Slaton is as good as the training camp chatter indicates.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It starts up front though. Everyone was down on Martinez for making tackles 5 yards down field. Part of that is the push up front. Our ILB's will always be on their heels if the d-line can't get a push. We can't leave that all up to Clark. Hopefully, Slaton is as good as the training camp chatter indicates.
Actually, the point is that Martinez was always on his heels because that is how he plays. Barnes plays much more downhill and that is to my liking.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should be noted that Clark injured his groin in the first game last year and missed about 4 games going forward, which were all wins. The line held up reasonably well in his absence. Lowry, Lancaster and Keke do have some talent and hopefully Slaton can contribute. That said, picking up a veteran free agent run stuffer would be good for depth.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that words alone can be racist. Certainly they can be racially insensitive and some of them are used by racists but the words themselves are just words. Context is everything and I would say that using these words does not automatically makes a person racist.

What about this: using racist slurs like Funchess used should ALWAYS be called out, because that language is associated with racist belief and racist history; but it's OK for us to be patient, open, and forgiving with those who don't recognize it in the moment? Then maybe we educate each other and move toward a more improved understanding of each other without relying on stereotypes. Like, Maybe Funchess doesn't know what c---k means or has meant -- maybe he doesn't know much about Angel Island or the transcontinental railroad. That's OK, and we should all be open and patient with each other.

That said, the rush in this thread by some (not you, sschind) to excuse or wave away racist slurs as something people should just have to endure smells pretty bad to me.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back on topic, I'm worried about our D line and crossing fingers for a jump from Keke and some flashes from Slaton.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, this thread went off the rails quickly. Funchess was a question mark coming into camp by missing two years of football. I doubt this situation helps him, but if he plays lights out it will not matter. Him making the squad doesn't make or break this team and their season.

Good news on the o-line though. That group will make or break our season. If they are as good as what is being reported our offense just might carry us enough. I'm super nervous about that defensive line.
i saw a quick camp update and it happened to be of someone making a pretty nice sideline catch. Good route, ball was there quickly and hands went up fast strong and tapped the toes. I was like, that guys in an NFL receiver. It turned out to be Funchess. I'm excited to see what he can do.

If someone saying we look asian when we smile wearing a mask is grounds for getting cut, i'm out.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, the point is that Martinez was always on his heels because that is how he plays. Barnes plays much more downhill and that is to my liking.
Read an interesting observation, w/some tape breakdown, last season by Ben Fennell on twitter (I think?) about how good Barnes is at sniffing out and reacting to screens. That seems like a great trait in a young LB -- I'm hopeful...maybe even optimistic.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i saw a quick camp update and it happened to be of someone making a pretty nice sideline catch. Good route, ball was there quickly and hands went up fast strong and tapped the toes. I was like, that guys in an NFL receiver. It turned out to be Funchess. I'm excited to see what he can do.

If someone saying we look asian when we smile wearing a mask is grounds for getting cut, i'm out.
Hey man, quick note because you seem like a thoughtful guy (some of the time...like the best of us, haha): the specific language Funchess used included a longstanding racist slur, which is I think a significant part of people's anger/frustration. As you can see from my comment above I'm not calling for his head, but I do believe that kind of language should always be called out and criticized.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey man, quick note because you seem like a thoughtful guy (some of the time...like the best of us, haha): the specific language Funchess used included a longstanding racist slur, which is I think a significant part of people's anger/frustration. As you can see from my comment above I'm not calling for his head, but I do believe that kind of language should always be called out and criticized.
then I missed what he said, the article i read said he said something to the effect, you all turn asian when you smile wearing those masks.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
then I missed what he said, the article i read said he said something to the effect, you all turn asian when you smile wearing those masks.
Yeah, that's the gist, so the article you read was prob tiptoeing around the precise language he used.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the gist, so the article you read was prob tiptoeing around the precise language he used.
gotcha, well if he used something else, I would probably adjust my position based on what word he chose.

and thank you for recognizing that sometimes I do think :)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about this: using racist slurs like Funchess used should ALWAYS be called out, because that language is associated with racist belief and racist history; but it's OK for us to be patient, open, and forgiving with those who don't recognize it in the moment? Then maybe we educate each other and move toward a more improved understanding of each other without relying on stereotypes. Like, Maybe Funchess doesn't know what c---k means or has meant -- maybe he doesn't know much about Angel Island or the transcontinental railroad. That's OK, and we should all be open and patient with each other.

That said, the rush in this thread by some (not you, sschind) to excuse or wave away racist slurs as something people should just have to endure smells pretty bad to me.

Oh yes, I agree fully. The word is offensive and needs to be called out if for no other reason than to educate and understand like you said. Not necessarily to punish. Part of the problem is in todays society there seems to be less and less middle ground, what you might call the educational ground. That "rush" you spoke of in your last line cuts both ways. Everything seems to be going to one extreme or the other. Use an offensive term and half the world immediately brands you a racist and the other half says no big deal, grow up. I think in most case the reaction should be "that's not acceptable talk" and perhaps, if the situation warrants "this is why"

I really like this part of your post don't recognize it in the moment? I'm not sure exactly what you meant but what it means to me is that normally people would not use those words but in certain circumstances they just come out. I'm sure at one point or another we have all thought things that we knew it was best not to say. Sometimes we say them without thinking. Some might say that's because we in fact harbor racist feelings and that's why the word is in our vocabulary to begin with but to this I say BS.

I agree but he didn't say we look Asian. I think we are all aware that there are some words we should just not use. What bothers me a bit, more than a bit really, is that everyone has to tip toe around the words. I've read many articles and only one had actually spelled the word out. I'm sure there are more but I stopped looking after I had my confirmation of what he said. All the others censored it in some way. When did reporting the facts become offensive. An article telling me what a person says is no way the same as the person saying it and just as I don't think saying it automatically makes a person racist I certainly don't think reporting it does. To be sure I've done it myself and in a way I'm a bit ashamed of myself. I'm afraid if I use the word the wrong people will se it and start thinking bad things about me...well other bad things.

To be clear though, I don't think what he actually said is grounds for getting cut either.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously??? People have lost all perspective in today's society. People's looks and commenting on them is not racist, maybe insensitive depending on what is said but definitely not racist. Calling an Italian having a "big nose" is not racist, though I suspect some would say it is. Calling a polish descendent a "polak" is not racist (I am one). Get over this "wokeism" that has and continues to drive wedges between people simply because of thin skins and sadly, too many people have been taught that they are victims. What happened to mental toughness, ability to let "words, even though they may hurt" slide off ? Too much "powder puff sensitivity" leads to an inability to handle and deal with stress in our society. I have worked with chinese, japanese, vietnamese, mexicans, several latin Americans, blacks, native Americans, E. and W Europeans and Scandinavians; they are tough people and deal with these kinds of "remarks". Apologize, let it go and move on; this is ridiculous in our society today, we harp on what has happened, what someone says "that made us feel bad for a moment", seriously, there are more important issues in Life than someone suggesting another person has "slanted eyes" or many other similar comments.

Pretty much all of your examples are racist. Racism is making comments based on race. Doesn't matter who you've worked with, if a derogatory term is thought to be derogatory by a group of people because it's based on race, then it's racist. You're personal opinion, while certainly your right to hold, means squat compared to the group of people the term is aimed at.

How about instead of telling people to deal with being insulted, the people doing the insulting get "tough" enough to use a different word? I mean, for crying out loud, it's not hard to NOT say a word.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, this thread went off the rails quickly. Funchess was a question mark coming into camp by missing two years of football. I doubt this situation helps him, but if he plays lights out it will not matter. Him making the squad doesn't make or break this team and their season.

Good news on the o-line though. That group will make or break our season. If they are as good as what is being reported our offense just might carry us enough. I'm super nervous about that defensive line.

D-line is quite a question mark. A lot riding on Slaton being able to turn into Grady Jarrett.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW - I read one blurb last week about Josh Jackson making a good play. I think that the kid didn't fit into our scheme. Maybe he will figure it out for another team. He's not worth the roster spot with the Packers anymore.

D

Deleted member 6794

It should be noted that Clark injured his groin in the first game last year and missed about 4 games going forward, which were all wins. The line held up reasonably well in his absence. Lowry, Lancaster and Keke do have some talent and hopefully Slaton can contribute. That said, picking up a veteran free agent run stuffer would be good for depth.

You need to consider that the Lions (30th ranked rushing offense) and Falcons (27th) struggled to run the ball all season though. The Saints on the other hand averaged 6.1 yards per attempt against the Packers with Clark not playing.

In my opinion the defensive line is definitely a position to be worried about.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree, and it definitely sucks to see Clark out again with another groin injury, per Rob Demovsky twitter.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s not a polite expression. I doubt he has any animus for Asian people. He apologized for saying it. People should have thicker skin.
Totally agree. Current Society norms/rules are turning multiple generations into candy *** petunias. I'm embarrassed for all of them and their weak garbage.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Totally agree. Current Society norms/rules are turning multiple generations into candy *** petunias. I'm embarrassed for all of them and their weak garbage.

And no one can live by their standards either. Anyone who says that Funchess should be fired for what he said has certainly done/said far worse things themselves. The self-righteousness is unbelievable.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

A few things can be true.

1) People shouldn’t use that word. If they use it thoughtlessly, they should apologize and change that practice in the future. If they use it purposefully and repeatedly, especially as a pejorative, that would be grounds for discipline or even termination.

2) People shouldn’t be that thin skinned that hearing that word not even used as a derogative sends them into a tailspin. That’s pathetic.

3) Calling for a man’s job because of something that innocuous *after he had apologized and pledged not to do that again* is way worse than what Funchess did in the first place.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few things can be true.

1) People shouldn’t use that word. If they use it thoughtlessly, they should apologize and change that practice in the future. If they use it purposefully and repeatedly, especially as a pejorative, that would be grounds for discipline or even termination.

2) People shouldn’t be that thin skinned that hearing that word not even used as a derogative sends them into a tailspin. That’s pathetic.

3) Calling for a man’s job because of something that innocuous *after he had apologized and pledged not to do that again* is way worse than what Funchess did in the first place.

Are #s 2 and 3 something you're hearing or seeing a lot of? I saw one poster react that way, and am not seeing "tailspins" or hearing cries for Funchess' job from others that I know in real life (of a variety of sociopolitical leanings).

I ask because you appear to be responding to me, so I'm bristling a little bit at what seems like a lotta vitriol born out of my posting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts