Trading Kampman

Pack_Attack_Is_Back

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay I've seen some people saying that the packers should trade Kampman, and though I see their arguments, I ask what happened to Capers' Blitzburg defense that he was supposed to implement? I truthfully think trading Kampman would be a dumb decision for a couple simple reasons:

1. Chances are, the pack won't be offered a proven veteran that is well versed in the 3-4 that could be useful this season.

2. When Kampman is a proven beast in the pass rush, and he's being stuck dropping back a minimum of 1 in 3 plays, more like 2-3 in my opinion, how can he be as effective in disrupting the pass?

I understand it's in the job description to drop into coverage in the 3-4, but come on, we were promised the successful, Blitzburg defensive scheme, and Capers hasn't been sending the pressure. We can't tell how Kampman is rushing the passer when they aren't consistently sending him. The most effective 3-4 schemes are when they rush the passer consistently and in a manner that the QB is confused where the pressure is coming from.

Nay Sayers beware, They start bringing pressure the way the 3-4 is supposed to Kampman will perform, and make you respect him again.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I hope so man... I'm optimistic about this defense too, but slowly and surely I'm losing faith. Especially with our safeties hurting, we gonna get eaten alive over the top and in the middle.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope so man... I'm optimistic about this defense too, but slowly and surely I'm losing faith. Especially with our safeties hurting, we gonna get eaten alive over the top and in the middle.
Great Sig, man, but why is Woodson in there?

About the trade, Kampman doesn't want to play in the OLB. That's it.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Great Sig, man, but why is Woodson in there

Hahaha. first thanks, i just made it yesterday. And I was gonna see how long it took for some1 to ask about woodson. Woodson's in there because I love him too, and i believe that they both benefit from having eachother on the other side. Woodson gets a lot of picks because Harris is all over the one guy, and Woodson is a lot better at baiting, so that reciever appears more open.

Just my philosophy, but yeah it was on purpose. nice catch tho, and u win the prize! but im a poor college student, so the prize is this clown... :jester:

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently going to college in Minnesota, but origi
About the trade, Kampman doesn't want to play in the OLB. That's it.

I don't know about that. Yes there were rumors in the pre-season, but it sounds like Kampman has warmed up to it.

Somebody correctly if I'm wrong, but hasn't Kampman been in the decline since last season? I remember he was getting outplayed until Jenkins got injured, and after that I don't remember him getting consistent pressure.

When I look and see that he had 9.5 sacks last year I wonder where they came from, because I don't remember them.

paco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampy has lost a step. That doesn't mean he still isn't a quality guy. But I think that the Pack should look into trading him. The 3-4 doesn't play to his strengths.

If the Packers can get a high enough pick for him, then I think it makes sense. Especially since he'll be a FA next season. At this point, I think he is easily replaceable. Might as well forget about the Kampy of old. Because we are just not going to play him that way.

If we can get a 2nd and 5th rounder for him, I say jump. We can find some depth and a LB'er of the future with that.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive already mentioned this in another thread but it pertains to the subject. We should have never traded Aaron Rouse, we should have put about 15 to 20lbs on him and turned him into an outside linebacker, got rid of kampman for a legit o-lineman and call it a day :)....

Dont get me wrong i love and respect everything kampman has done for the Packer orginization, I just think that a 6'4 245lb olb with safety skills would probably be one of the scariest things any qb would have to deal with..

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about that. Yes there were rumors in the pre-season, but it sounds like Kampman has warmed up to it.

Somebody correctly if I'm wrong, but hasn't Kampman been in the decline since last season? I remember he was getting outplayed until Jenkins got injured, and after that I don't remember him getting consistent pressure.

When I look and see that he had 9.5 sacks last year I wonder where they came from, because I don't remember them.
I never bought those rumors. But seeing him just give up against Minnesota, that's no lack of ability in space, that's no bad coverage. Kampman NEVER gave up before. He just doesn't like playing OLB, and though I want him to be on our team, if he thinks he's too good to do what he's supposed to do, he needs to go. It's not like he forgot how to rush the passer, and he has been asked to, fewer than expected but has been nonetheless.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive already mentioned this in another thread but it pertains to the subject. We should have never traded Aaron Rouse, we should have put about 15 to 20lbs on him and turned him into an outside linebacker, got rid of kampman for a legit o-lineman and call it a day :)....

Dont get me wrong i love and respect everything kampman has done for the Packer orginization, I just think that a 6'4 245lb olb with safety skills would probably be one of the scariest things any qb would have to deal with..
Rouse was just bad. And not just in coverage. Bad decisions, bad angles... And there's much more to rush the passer than being athletic. Why do you think a lot of College DEs fail in the NFL? You need to have moves, be smart, know what you're doing.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Kampman will stay and just fade as the position is just not suiting him. Haven't heard if any teams have interest in him so no trade will happen this season.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rouse was just bad. And not just in coverage. Bad decisions, bad angles... And there's much more to rush the passer than being athletic. Why do you think a lot of College DEs fail in the NFL? You need to have moves, be smart, know what you're doing.

This was done by a professional who probably knows just a little bit more than you...sorry but i disagree with everything you said...How can you NOT say he would be a better olb than kampman

Aaron Rouse 2007 NFL Draft Reviews Emlen'sGremlins : 9/25/2009 9:54 am

SPORTING NEWS PRO FOOTBALL DRAFT GUIDE 2007
Rated as the #4 Safety (behind LaRon Landry, Reggie Nelson and Brandon Meriweather).
Aaron Rouse, Virginia Tech
6-4, 218, 4.39
1st Round Projection
NFL Comparison: Deon Grant
Coverage Skills: Reads quarterbacks and breaks quickly to get outside and help cornerbacks on deep routes. Closes quickly on passes in front of him. Shows the athleticism to stay on tight ends' hips all over the field. Can lose a step when forced to turn and run because of his long legs.
Run/Pass Recognition: Is adept at reading quarterbacks' eyes. Does not get sucked in by play-action and has the speed to get to spots in a hurry.
Closing Speed: Has great burst to finish. When aggressive, makes strong, physical tackles. After missteps in coverage, still can catch up to tight ends.
Ball Skills: Shows outstanding hands. In two-deep coverage, is adept at cutting underneath post routes for interceptions. Gets outside to help in over-the-top coverage.
Run Support: Is better than most safeties. Has the instincts and speed to chase down runners before they turn the corner. Does not deliver violent hits; is more of a catch-and-grab tackler.
Bottom Line: Rouse is productive in all areas-chasing down runners, covering tight ends man-to-man, breaking up and intercepting passes in zone coverage and covering kicks. He will be a good safety who brings as much to the locker room as he does to the field.

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was done by a professional who probably knows just a little bit more than you...sorry but i disagree with everything you said...How can you NOT say he would be a better olb than kampman

Rated as the #4 Safety (behind LaRon Landry, Reggie Nelson and Brandon Meriweather).
6-4, 218, 4.39
1st Round Projection
Coverage Skills: Reads quarterbacks and breaks quickly to get outside and help cornerbacks on deep routes. Closes quickly on passes in front of him. Shows the athleticism to stay on tight ends' hips all over the field. Can lose a step when forced to turn and run because of his long legs.
Run/Pass Recognition: Is adept at reading quarterbacks' eyes. Does not get sucked in by play-action and has the speed to get to spots in a hurry.
Closing Speed: Has great burst to finish. When aggressive, makes strong, physical tackles. After missteps in coverage, still can catch up to tight ends.
Ball Skills: Shows outstanding hands. In two-deep coverage, is adept at cutting underneath post routes for interceptions. Gets outside to help in over-the-top coverage.
Run Support: Is better than most safeties. Has the instincts and speed to chase down runners before they turn the corner. Does not deliver violent hits; is more of a catch-and-grab tackler.
Bottom Line: Rouse is productive in all areas-chasing down runners, covering tight ends man-to-man, breaking up and intercepting passes in zone coverage and covering kicks. He will be a good safety who brings as much to the locker room as he does to the field.

This doesn't say anything about his ability to rush the passer. An OLB in the 3-4 is essentially a Defensive end that drops into coverage. They need to be able to rush the QB. I've heard of changing safeties to linebackers in the 4-3 (Urlacher), but never in the 3-4. It's a totally different skill set.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

6-4, 218, 4.39
1st Round Projection
Really? A COLLEGE evaluation of a guy, with NO MENTION TO HIS PASS RUSH. AND NO MENTION TO HOW WOULD FARE AS AN OLB.

Pro or not, that's not a valid argument as to would he suceed or not as a starting OLB. Kampman actually PLAYED OLB in college.

Disagree or not, like him or not, Rouse didn't play well and got released. And have never been considered, BY PROS, to play as an OLB.

The grass is allways greener on the other side. The released and the benched players are allways better than those starting. If you really think so, make a case for him. One with, you know, content that actually serves to the forementioned case. I can make a case that Antonhy Smith played much better than Rouse, Bigby, Bush and Peprah during preseason. I can make a case that Bishop deserves to play ahead of Barnett, considering the amount of plays both have made, with the disparity of playing time. I cannot make a case that Rouse was a good S, or that would make a good OLB.

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can make a case that Antonhy Smith played much better than Rouse, Bigby, Bush and Peprah during preseason. I can make a case that Bishop deserves to play ahead of Barnett, considering the amount of plays both have made, with the disparity of playing time. I cannot make a case that Rouse was a good S, or that would make a good OLB.

On that note why was Peprah released? Granted there's not much game tape to judge him on, but he seemed to do a good job while he was in. Maybe he was just outplayed, but I don't think I heard his name this preseason.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On that note why was Peprah released? Granted there's not much game tape to judge him on, but he seemed to do a good job while he was in. Maybe he was just outplayed, but I don't think I heard his name this preseason.
Not enough potential, not enough quality, hurt all the time. Why keep an average player that won't even play and won't be nothing more than a backup?

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realize that he is a great player, but not like the team would actually miss him. The team needs O-line help ASAP. Rodgers is one of the best in the league, but is not given enough time by the O-line to let his receivers get open and deliver the ball on target. All the crying that people have done about Rodgers being soft can be put to bed. He has taken harder hits in his short time starting than Favre ever did. I think it would be best for the Pack to get O-line help and give Kamp a fresh start where his talents will be used best.

JeffQuery

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rodgers holds onto the ball and is NOT very elusive. Favre sidesteps pass rushers and gets rid of the ball, AROD does not. He needs ALOT of protection. Also, I doubt that AROD's taken worse shots than Favre already...and alot of them are his fault.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realize that he is a great player, but not like the team would actually miss him. The team needs O-line help ASAP. Rodgers is one of the best in the league, but is not given enough time by the O-line to let his receivers get open and deliver the ball on target. All the crying that people have done about Rodgers being soft can be put to bed. He has taken harder hits in his short time starting than Favre ever did. I think it would be best for the Pack to get O-line help and give Kamp a fresh start where his talents will be used best.

I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself here. Until AR vomits blood on the field, I dont think you can say he has taken harder hits yet. What happend to the people in this state? Its like 2008 came and there was a collective memeory loss.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
First time poster, but I've been reading these boards for while now, even before the lay-out was changed ...

I'm a "passionate" NFL fan, and as such I don't have one "specific" team, however I do have some teams I root more for than others :)

I've always watched the Packers, as my very first NFL experience was at Lambeau Field (in 1993), while visiting "relatives" (not blood-related, but we known them ever since I was a little child - I'm 32 now and we have been visiting each other on numerous occassions for more than 30 years now) in Green Bay.

I really think trading Kampmann would be a mistake ... - 4 games into the season, learning a new defensive scheme ... Now granted, given past history and time, it could be argued both for and against, how come the Packers, given how much talent (or lack there of ?) still are having troubles ? But I don't think Kampmann is one of them, given some more time, I have no doubt Kampmann will adapt and become even more "versataile" (sp?)

Aaron Rodgers is showing promise, but really lacks experience (or perhaps just innate "feel" - personally I think he has had more than enough playing time, and should be more "aware" by now) ... I mean, look at the WR Corps of this team ...

In fact one could argue in some ways he is thinking and wanting to make "Big Plays" (too much ?), however, this "want" (?) also results in him holding on to the ball alot longer than is necessary ... - Looking at the game against the Vikings, there are actually numerous opportunities for Rodgers to check down the ball and avoid the sack (especially on the play where he was sacked for a safety), but for some reason he just doesn't do it ... - (wanting to make "The Big Play" ? or is he just "afraid" of losing ? Giving up the int ?) ... To say Aaron Rodgers is among the best in the NFL at this point, is in my opinion a bit premature, because at the moment it would seem Rodgers has "tunnel-vision" - he can't "see" his sides, only what's ahead of him ... Yes he has alot of talent ... however, I can't help but see a little comparison to Matt Cassel (when Cassel was playing instead of injuretd Brady in NE ...) ... Now Cassel is in KC and how is he playing there ? ... On most plays I would say Rodgers has "more than enough" time to get the ball out, but for some reason he just doesn't, unless it can go down the field ...

And to say that Aaron Rodgers is still "only" starting his 2nd season (as a starter) is also a little "flawed" imho ... - Look at how Romo did in his 2 first seasons (as a starter) after having been on the bench for numerous season before (behind a more experienced QB).

Yes, I know that some people are going to say that Romo "choked" etc etc, however, I would still say that if we take performance as a starter, I don't think anyone would disagree ... What will people say next season, if it starts out like the previous 2 ? - Will the media be all over him like they have been Romo ? In my opinion, both of them are very talented and gifted, and one could even say that Romo is playing under alot more "pressure" than Rodgers is ...

Personally I think it is time that Aaron Rodgers shows he is "worth his money" ... Again, I think Rodgers is a very talented and gifted Quarterback, however, I just don't count him among the "Best in the NFL" just yet ... Yes his stats are impressive, but when they don't result in a win, it couldn't really matter less ... Aside from Fantasy Leagues ...

When the ratings start to integrate sacks and fumbles in them, I think alot of peoples "tunes" MAY change ...

"Food for thought" : I am pretty sure, had Rodgers "utilized" his check-downs, - personally, I think 3-4 sacks could have been avoided ... - Would the Packers have won the game if he had done that ? - I doubt it ... given that close to 150 out of his 400 yards came in the 4th quarter, where Packers were forced to "air it out" ... But that is a moot point to argue, as we will never know ...

No doubt that the O-Line is in need of reinforcements, however, given the past history, I think it will be doubtfull as to that happening via big moves on the FA market, and that window will be closed very soon ... Botton line is that when ever you win games, things always look better than when you lose, and in the end ... wins vs loses are what matters ...

Just a few thoughts from Europe :)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself here. Until AR vomits blood on the field, I dont think you can say he has taken harder hits yet. What happend to the people in this state? Its like 2008 came and there was a collective memeory loss.
More than Favre in his entire career is a bit too much, but the guy played better than Favre last year with a dislocated shoulder since WEEK 4. In what was essencially his rookie year.
-
About our receivers being elite, I totally agree with that. BUT we're among the leaders in dropped passes. So it doesn't matter if they're good, if they're not playing like it (except DD, who dropped passes too).

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First time poster, but I've been reading these boards for while now, even before the lay-out was changed ...

I'm a "passionate" NFL fan, and as such I don't have one "specific" team, however I do have some teams I root more for than others :)

I've always watched the Packers, as my very first NFL experience was at Lambeau Field (in 1993), while visiting "relatives" (not blood-related, but we known them ever since I was a little child - I'm 32 now and we have been visiting each other on numerous occassions for more than 30 years now) in Green Bay.

I really think trading Kampmann would be a mistake ... - 4 games into the season, learning a new defensive scheme ... Now granted, given past history and time, it could be argued both for and against, how come the Packers, given how much talent (or lack there of ?) still are having troubles ? But I don't think Kampmann is one of them, given some more time, I have no doubt Kampmann will adapt and become even more "versataile" (sp?)

Aaron Rodgers is showing promise, but really lacks experience (or perhaps just innate "feel" - personally I think he has had more than enough playing time, and should be more "aware" by now) ... I mean, look at the WR Corps of this team ...

In fact one could argue in some ways he is thinking and wanting to make "Big Plays" (too much ?), however, this "want" (?) also results in him holding on to the ball alot longer than is necessary ... - Looking at the game against the Vikings, there are actually numerous opportunities for Rodgers to check down the ball and avoid the sack (especially on the play where he was sacked for a safety), but for some reason he just doesn't do it ... - (wanting to make "The Big Play" ? or is he just "afraid" of losing ? Giving up the int ?) ... To say Aaron Rodgers is among the best in the NFL at this point, is in my opinion a bit premature, because at the moment it would seem Rodgers has "tunnel-vision" - he can't "see" his sides, only what's ahead of him ... Yes he has alot of talent ... however, I can't help but see a little comparison to Matt Cassel (when Cassel was playing instead of injuretd Brady in NE ...) ... Now Cassel is in KC and how is he playing there ? ... On most plays I would say Rodgers has "more than enough" time to get the ball out, but for some reason he just doesn't, unless it can go down the field ...

And to say that Aaron Rodgers is still "only" starting his 2nd season (as a starter) is also a little "flawed" imho ... - Look at how Romo did in his 2 first seasons (as a starter) after having been on the bench for numerous season before (behind a more experienced QB).

Yes, I know that some people are going to say that Romo "choked" etc etc, however, I would still say that if we take performance as a starter, I don't think anyone would disagree ... What will people say next season, if it starts out like the previous 2 ? - Will the media be all over him like they have been Romo ? In my opinion, both of them are very talented and gifted, and one could even say that Romo is playing under alot more "pressure" than Rodgers is ...

Personally I think it is time that Aaron Rodgers shows he is "worth his money" ... Again, I think Rodgers is a very talented and gifted Quarterback, however, I just don't count him among the "Best in the NFL" just yet ... Yes his stats are impressive, but when they don't result in a win, it couldn't really matter less ... Aside from Fantasy Leagues ...

When the ratings start to integrate sacks and fumbles in them, I think alot of peoples "tunes" MAY change ...

"Food for thought" : I am pretty sure, had Rodgers "utilized" his check-downs, - personally, I think 3-4 sacks could have been avoided ... - Would the Packers have won the game if he had done that ? - I doubt it ... given that close to 150 out of his 400 yards came in the 4th quarter, where Packers were forced to "air it out" ... But that is a moot point to argue, as we will never know ...

No doubt that the O-Line is in need of reinforcements, however, given the past history, I think it will be doubtfull as to that happening via big moves on the FA market, and that window will be closed very soon ... Botton line is that when ever you win games, things always look better than when you lose, and in the end ... wins vs loses are what matters ...

Just a few thoughts from Europe :)

This was a very good post imo. Couldn't have said it better myself

JeffQuery

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What...no Kampman thinks he's bigger than the team, crap..??

No, this isn't the Green Bay Kampman's??

(Oh..I see. That's only reserved for 1 player that is hated here, right?)

The hypocrisy is tremendous.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeff Have you read any of the posts in here or do you just want to think that other people in here automatically hate someone if they want to trade them. Read other quality posts before you come to such a quick conclusion.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the defense will adjust and get the most out of one of their best past players. Kampmann constantly pressured the passer in the past. Double digit sacks. Now it seems that is taken away. I think that they could have traded him for decent value in the off season. I couldnt see him transitioning then, and I personally dont think that he will be able to make even close to the same impact the rest of the season that he did the past 2 years.

Members online

Latest posts