Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Jones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep love

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

No other team drafts a QB with their first pick and lets him sit for three years. Now why do you think that is?

Well, the Packers had huge success doing just that in 2005 with Rodgers. Gutekunst might have tried to struck gold like Thompson did back then but it's not realistic to expect a similar outcome.

Is'nt it smart to have a young, back up QB who could be ready to jump in and take over at any given moment.

It's smart to have a decent backup quarterback but a team that was within a game of making it to the Super Bowl shouldn't spend a first rounder on the position.

I don't really have a lot of faith in MVS or Allison or Kumerow as #3 or 4 guys but at 5 or 6 I'm guessing they will be as good as any late round poke and hope.

In 2018 we drafted WRs in rounds 4,5,6 and some fans are saying they suck now (I tend to agree with that assesment on 2 of the 3) but now those same fans wanted more of the same.

For the record, Allison signed with the Lions this offseason.

Fans are mostly complaining about not selecting a wide receiver in the first round instead of trading up for a backup quarterback and not that Gutekunst didn't select a WR on day three.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Packers had huge success doing just that in 2005 with Rodgers. Gutekunst might have tried to struck gold like Thompson did back then but it's not realistic to expect a similar outcome.

It's smart to have a decent backup quarterback but a team that was within a game of making it to the Super Bowl shouldn't spend a first rounder on the position.

For the record, Allison signed with the Lions this offseason.

Fans are mostly complaining about not selecting a wide receiver in the first round instead of trading up for a backup quarterback and not that Gutekunst didn't select a WR on day three.
Yeah the entire draft, with maybe the exception of Dillon, doesn’t reflect that of a team that was one game away from a SB. Pretty strange all around.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the entire draft, with maybe the exception of Dillon, doesn’t reflect that of a team that was one game away from a SB. Pretty strange all around.
This entire offseason has been LaFleur revamping the offense for an aging Rodgers and bolstering the defense to improve against the run. Everything makes sense so far including the Love pick (the older a quarterback gets, the more likely they are to become injured AND regress due to injury).

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This entire offseason has been LaFleur revamping the offense for an aging Rodgers and bolstering the defense to improve against the run. Everything makes sense so far including the Love pick (the older a quarterback gets, the more likely they are to become injured AND regress due to injury).
There is a logic to it. But if our receivers are a question mark, I don't think they're going to get much better by not being used much (if they emphasize the run). It's hard to see our offense tearing up the league the way it is, it looks more middle of the pack or a bit above average. It would have been nice to see Rodgers get some weapons, but we'll see how it plays out. Emphasizing the run might take more pressure off the defense as well.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those are all good points and help to understand the draft better. Rather than complain, I’m focused on the things I like. a. Love is an immediate improvement at backup, whether he ever ascends to starter or not. b. Dillon provides an immediate improvement to an already impressive ground game. c. Dillon provides insurance against excess salary demands from Jones in 2021. d. Kirksey and someone else will step up and improve the middle of the defense (I think Kirksey by himself is an improvement over Martinez). e. MLF can now go full out with a run game and capitalize on RPOs and jet sweeps and finally, f. Rodgers will be a better QB for it all, as the weight of the O is now much more balanced.

I don’t think enough depth was added to improve the run D, so guys on the roster will need to step up, and that’s also true of the WR group.

All in all, Gluten did a good job with what he had. Again, I’m looking ahead with optimism, rather than get stuck on what else could have been. There’s just no point. The draft is over, for better or worse. I like “better”.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would like to make a proposal. Anyone who refers to "Gute" as "Gluten", must type out his full name, "Brian Willis Gutekunst", 1000's times, backwards! :coffee:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to make a proposal. Anyone who refers to "Gute" as "Gluten", must type out his full name, "Brian Willis Gutekunst", 1000's times, backwards! :coffee:
Nope, I’m sticking with Gluten. It’s no different than Gute or Gutey. Equal rights for all Poker!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sticks and stones guys! You can call me anything, just don’t call me late for supper.

(Are you and Gary cousins of Gluten or something?)

Gary Gluten Brat?

He is my 9th cousin 30 times removed, we don't talk about him anymore.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary Gluten Brat?

He is my 9th cousin 30 times removed, we don't talk about him anymore.
OMG Poker I just fell off my chair laughing! Thanks so much. A little laughter these days is like good medicine. As for Gary Gluten Brat, we’ll keep it simple as GGB. I hope you two guys reconnect.

Thanks again for the belly laugh pal, much needed.

D

Deleted member 6794

This entire offseason has been LaFleur revamping the offense for an aging Rodgers and bolstering the defense to improve against the run.

Gutekunst didn't make enough moves to improve the run defense in my opinion.

a. Love is an immediate improvement at backup, whether he ever ascends to starter or not.

While Love most likely presents an upgrade at backup quarterback there was no need to spend a first rounder on the position.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know no one really wanted a QB before the draft but Love seems to have grown on many. The mass has a way of influencing others. The more you read and hear the better an idea becomes. It happens to the best of us. I had no thought about an heir apparent for Rodgers but now I think its a smart idea ( obviously not love.) Now I’m wondering how many of you would trade Love for a Queen, Josh Jones, Mims, or pitman right now? I’m not saying to go back to the draft because losing that fourth would be a deal breaker. I’m just saying a strait up trade for one of those players. I really don’t think many on this board would.

FWIW, Ron Wolf seems to like the pick:

"Packers protected themselves at the #1 position"

HoF GM Ron Wolf talks Rodgers/Love!

https://billmichaelssports.radio.com/articles/former-packers-gm-ron-wolf-talks-rodgers-and-love

So, there's that.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Case closed. Close the thread. My favorite part is when he called him Devante Allan:)

I don't know if it's case closed - Time will tell.

It is encouraging, however, to get a vote of confidence of sorts from a former well-respected GM.

I saw this headline in the Washington Post (subscription required)

Tua Tagovailoa, Jordan Love Are Risky Draft Picks. Passing On Them Would Be Riskier.

FWIW.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst didn't make enough moves to improve the run defense in my opinion.

While Love most likely presents an upgrade at backup quarterback there was no need to spend a first rounder on the position.
I agree with you on Love, Cap. I guess this is my attempt to make lemonade out of lemons. Now that we have him, he should improve our BU situation. That is NOT the first need for a team one game away from a SB. I can’t imagine a situation where I’ll ever like this pick, unless something totally freaky happens to Rodgers and Love becomes a star. I won’t hold my breath on that. It was and will remain a horrible waste of a first round pick.

OP
OP
Fat Dogs

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if it's case closed - Time will tell.

It is encouraging, however, to get a vote of confidence of sorts from a former well-respected GM.

I saw this headline in the Washington Post (subscription required)

Tua Tagovailoa, Jordan Love Are Risky Draft Picks. Passing On Them Would Be Riskier.

FWIW.

I was kidding. Wolf said he didn’t know anything about the kid. I’m happy he’s bringing excitement to the fan base but eh..

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People focus on the dead cap number of 31 million or whatever it is but as the article points out it the savings of 5 million that matters. If the Packers keep Rodgers in 2021 the cap hit will be 36 million if they cut or trade him it will be 31 million. The numbers are rough but the bottom line is the Packers will have an extra 4.8 million to spend of they trade him. If Love has it and if they can get 2 firsts it may be worth it. The money aspect is clear it is the other 2 situations that are up on the air.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love has it and if they can get 2 firsts it may be worth it.
First off, let me say I don't put much stock in the article, I think the author gave himself away when he was talking about click bait. However:

If you're wanting to get something substantial in exchange for Rodgers, the time to do it is sooner rather than later. There's a part of me that is curious just what he could bring on the market, and part of me also wonders how Rodgers would handle dealing with Belichick, and how Belichick would do with him.

One problem is any team you trade Rodgers to would likely have a pretty good record, so you wouldn't be getting a very high pick (or picks) in return.

Members online

Latest posts