• Jones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep love

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way I look at it, we have Love now. Being a 1st rounder that we traded up for, I have to believe he's viewed as the heir apparent. I'll be super bummed when Rodgers is done in GB, but I'd rather lose him a year or two early and eat some dead cap if doing so means we get some significant draft capital in return and can surround our heir apparent with other young pieces to grow with. Two more years in GB, traded in 2022... think he still has a lot of value at that point.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just shocked that so many people seem okay with the idea of trading the starting QB from a 13-3 team for an unknown rookie who has a lot of potential but is VERY raw. Why are fans so excited to take a step backward rather than just tread water until Rodgers leaves in 3 years?

Who is saying to trade Rodgers for an unknown rookie QB?

There are people saying, "If Love has shown that he's good and ready, and other teams are willing to trade high assets for Rodgers, that is something that should be considered."

There's a difference between the two.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of what Love is or isn't, I'd be very hesitant to move on from Rodgers unless Rodgers is just done. It was different with Favre, which I won't get into, but if Rodgers is playing really well 2, 3 years from now I'm still not in a hurry to move on. I just think it's bad juju. Like getting rid of a reliable car just because you want a new one and it has some trade value. Then the new one has nothing but warranty issues because you pissed off the car gods. They gave you a great one and gave it back :)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To get back to the original question.

Based on my preferences, I would have taken Pittman over Love. That's probably about it. Definitely not a ILB. Maybe Mims, but idk.

Now, knowing that GB views him as a franchise QB, there's nobody on that list I take over him.

H

HardRightEdge

Ok thnx. So in 2022 another team would get a steal at 25mil right?
That other team would get 2 years at $51 mil with nothing guaranteed. It's a team option in essence for the second year with no dead cap overhang. Sure, that's a steal if he's still playing great, and I mean "still" and "great", protestations around here to the contrary.

But if he is still that player then the Packers paying him $25.5 mil in new money in 2022 would be a steal given where QB salaries will continue to go, along with that option for 2023.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm just shocked that so many people seem okay with the idea of trading the starting QB from a 13-3 team for an unknown rookie who has a lot of potential but is VERY raw. Why are fans so excited to take a step backward rather than just tread water until Rodgers leaves in 3 years?

While I can't speak for everyone, I haven't seen anyone say "Trade Rodgers now". Doing that and taking the $51M cap hit would be franchise suicide IMO, not to mention that we have nobody proven to take his spot. What some of us are saying is that there is the possibility that Rodgers could be traded as soon as next year. IMO, I wouldn't be in favor of that if Love hasn't showing enough to convince coaches that he can be a solid starting QB.

To calm your fears, most of us are just discussing options in the next 1-4 years. Guessing the Packers are doing the same and I am also guessing that much of what happens will center around 2 people, Brandon Love and Aaron Rodgers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is saying to trade Rodgers for an unknown rookie QB?

There are people saying, "If Love has shown that he's good and ready, and other teams are willing to trade high assets for Rodgers, that is something that should be considered."

There's a difference between the two.

There is zero chance that Love will have shown he's good and ready after one season, and many of the posts here discuss trading Rodgers after next season.

Edit: "Zero chance" is a bit much, there is a chance, but it's REALLY small.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I was referring to the team that traded for him. They wouldn't be have to count any of his signing bonus on their salary cap, it would just be whatever his base salary was each year.

Actually no. If a team assumed his current contract, they would also be responsible for paying his Workout bonuses, as well as his Roster bonuses that accrue past the date of the trade.

I also believe that his new team would be paying him his escalators/incentives:

• 2020-2023 Escalators ($1M Max)
    72.5 offensive snaps: $100,000 (earned in 2020)
    + divisional playoff game: $120,000 more (earned in 2020)
    + NFC Championship: $130,000 more
    + Super Bowl: $150,000 more
    $100,000 each for Top 3 in Passer Rating, Comp. %, INT %, Yards per Att., TD Passes ($100,000 earned in 2020)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is zero chance that Love will have shown he's good and ready after one season, and many of the posts here discuss trading Rodgers after next season.

Most players will tell you that within a practice or two, they can tell if a guy has it or not.

I don't completely buy into that, but I think they'll have a good idea by the end of year 1.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

See Mahomes under Alex Smith. Reid was convinced enough to move on after one year. Obviously Smith and Rodgers are different QB's, but a lot can happen over the course of a year.

Reaction score
For me anyway I’m just more trying to understand the options. I also think it’s highly unlikely GB initiates any change at QB before 2022. But Lots of things can happen in this league, injury.. Rodgers asks to be traded or there is a resistance from him that creates disharmony (this ones not unrealistic). But Aaron will turn 37 this season and is turning 39 years old in his “contract out” season and turns 41yrs old shortly after his contract expires. So it wouldn’t have been prudent to ignore QB in the draft past 2021 or 2022. That’s next season already.

If the GB staff felt that Jordan Love has the makings of a top 10 draft selection, but only with another season or two of experience.. they might just be willing to be patient as they let #12 work his magic. They just might be thinking their training staff would be the perfect environment to foster that growth. He’s got a strong arm, ideal size, good athleticism compared to his peers and above average smarts (27 wonderlic). I don’t want to beat this into the ground, but a #26 overall draft pick to land a future starting QB would be considered a fantastic move (even if it took a few years) In addition, that’s not an area GB has had overwhelming success drafting stars at other positions, so the alternative risk of loss is lower that late.

I would like nothing more than #12 playing in every game through his contract. That means he’s at or near a top #10 type QB performance for four seasons. Perfect.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They never should signed him to that kind of an extension just to be a glorified mentor. There are other QBs in the league that you can tread the water with. It's fine if the organization wants to look towards the future, but there are players who want to win now instead of just being "good enough". Far more than simply Rodgers. Either go one way or another. Their current approach will assure that they won't have a team good enough to win the SB, but will also be picking so late in the draft each year that they won't have a great chance to be able to build a good team for the future

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See Mahomes under Alex Smith. Reid was convinced enough to move on after one year. Obviously Smith and Rodgers are different QB's, but a lot can happen over the course of a year.

Mahomes was a far more polished college prospect than Jordan Love. Love might be good, but he's got a lot to work to get up to speed on the college game.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Do you recall how raw all the analysts thought Mahomes was coming out of college?

There has been a ton of revisionist history of Mahomes since he entered the league, and especially by Packer fans when the Love comparison has been mentioned.

The boiled down take on Mahomes coming out was that he was a great athlete with special arm talent and amazing ability outside of structure, but that there were concerns about his ability to just execute an offense.

Myself, I think Mahomes was a better prospect, but I understand why people make the comparison, stylistically.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was referring to the team that traded for him. They wouldn't be have to count any of his signing bonus on their salary cap, it would just be whatever his base salary was each year.

You're forgetting roster bonuses, workout bonuses, likely incentives etc etc.

Its more then "just" the base salary

OP
OP
Fat Dogs

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you recall how raw all the analysts thought Mahomes was coming out of college?

Sorry but there is zero comparison of the two coming out of college. Please go back and watch the tapes if you disagree. I do agree with the concept.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sorry but there is zero comparison of the two coming out of college. Please go back and watch the tapes if you disagree. I do agree with the concept.

Zero? That's ridiculous.

I'm willing to believe that some people have overstated the comparison. The two prospects are not clones by any means.

But when you consider their size, athletic profile, arm talent, and ability to make plays off schedule, there are plenty of comparisons between these two coming out of college.

Why does everything have to be so black and white? Seems like he's either Mahomes 2.0 or there is "zero comparison" according to most people. Both are silly.

Reaction score
Love’s story about his late Father coaching him and predicting he would be a great QB is bordering on chilling. In some rights Love already is a great QB. His Father would be ecstatic to know he’s playing behind another California legend that grew up 350 miles North of himself..Aaron Rodgers.
The more I read about the history of our pick #26, the more I want him to succeed in some capacity.
What a bright career this kid has.

Im thankful that Love didn’t redshirt (or transfer like many do) after a couple seasons to a more prestigious football program. He’s flown under the radar a little because of the statistical regression, which speaks loudly to a new HC and entirely new Offensive Players. I sincerely believe GB would’ve never had a shot at Jordan had he played 2019 with his same HC and players. I can’t wait until he throws (or runs for) his first NFL TD. He reminds me of a better version of Favre coming out of College (great arm strength off his back foot, they both can throw a rope and both are fearless throwing into traffic) but Favre is Mr durable and Love is more athletic.
He made the big time getting picked here and developing under the tutelage of the best.
Something tells me Rodgers won’t give this young CA kid any grief. Just a gut feeling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fat Dogs

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero? That's ridiculous.

I'm willing to believe that some people have overstated the comparison. The two prospects are not clones by any means.

But when you consider their size, athletic profile, arm talent, and ability to make plays off schedule, there are plenty of comparisons between these two coming out of college.

Why does everything have to be so black and white? Seems like he's either Mahomes 2.0 or there is "zero comparison" according to most people. Both are silly.

Ok. We will give you size, athletic ability, they both play QB, both have 2 legs, and ears. Mahomes was a human highlight real. He made throws in college that Very few NFL QB’s could.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ok. We will give you size, athletic ability, they both play QB, both have 2 legs, and ears. Mahomes was a human highlight real. He made throws in college that Very few NFL QB’s could.

Look at this... you found another similarity to Love.

OP
OP
Fat Dogs

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at this... you found another similarity to Love.

I think people forget that Mahomes had a 819 yard game vs’ Oklahoma. I think it’s nice that so many are rooting for Love but comparing him to the likes of Mahomes is a stretch.

Reaction score
I’m just glad KC didn’t didn’t kick Mahomeboy (I can say that because I now live in his hometown) to the curb after his 1st season. Having a 60% QB rating and -100% TD/INT 0/1 ratio after year 1 would’ve had him traded if he was a Packer!

Last edited:

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is always important to look to the future for any business. In some ways the team may be more likely to win a Super Bowl in 2-3 years without Rodgers (trades and extra cap space for free agents, plus a more balanced team). The Love pick was the Packers hedging their bets and diversifying their portfolio in a genius manner.