Trade Deadline Targets

Would you trade a 2021 first round pick & 2022 late round pick for Julio Jones

• Yes

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 78.2%

• Total voters

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Look at the skill set of Watt. Those skills transfer anywhere. He's unique.

Have to agree, barring a major injury occurring of course. There is always that slight chance that his path changes in a different situation, but as you said, hard to deny that his skill set was there before being drafted and has just gotten better over time.

All that said, There are those situations that I am sure have been toxic for a player and had he been drafted elsewhere, his career might have been different. I mean who knows, had San Fran drafted Rodgers and started him immediately, would he be the same player he is today?
Yep its one of the benefits of having a fhof qb...hopefully they both make an impact ad hopefully gutey keeps adding talent where/when he can

Id like to see a wr, dl, cb not necessarily in that order

Brandin Cooks seems reasonable with a 1.6 m cap hit

Howard a very remote possibility...that 6.7 m is prorated so will be a little lower each week that goes by til the deadline...

Johnson seems to be an easy one...
I think Captain did prorate those numbers for what the hit would be if the trade happened at the trade deadline. Howard is on a contract that pays him $13.8 M this season+ potentially $3.5 M in incentives. That isn't happening for the Packers.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers can't create any cap space for this season by restructuring Rodgers' contract as he's getting paid the veteran minimum base salary.

If the Packers acquire any of those players at the trade deadline they would count the following vs. their cap in 2021.

Howard $6.7 million
Cooks $1.7 million
OBJ $8.1 million

I highly doubt the Raiders will end up being sellers at the deadline.
Then get us Howard and Cooks :)

D

Deleted member 6794

Yep its one of the benefits of having a fhof qb...hopefully they both make an impact ad hopefully gutey keeps adding talent where/when he can

Id like to see a wr, dl, cb not necessarily in that order

Brandin Cooks seems reasonable with a 1.6 m cap hit

Howard a very remote possibility...that 6.7 m is prorated so will be a little lower each week that goes by til the deadline...

Johnson seems to be an easy one...

As Poker correctly pointed out I already prorated their cap hit. The number shown is the one if acquired at the deadline.

Then get us Howard and Cooks :)

The Packers currently have only $4.7 million of cap space. Not enough to make a move for Howard.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Poker correctly pointed out I already prorated their cap hit. The number shown is the one if acquired at the deadline.

The Packers currently have only $4.7 million of cap space. Not enough to make a move for Howard.

Ah ok i was assuming you did it for if they were traded for immediately...either way youre correct the packers dont have enough space for Howard unless they were to get Miami to eat about 4 m of his cap hit

That doesnt seem out of the question...gutey could offer a draft pick a couple rounds higher to compensate for the cap savings...the way the Rams did to get the lions to take on jared goffs salary

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Mark Ingram trade and Houston being sellers it got me thinking. Tonight's game could, based on the play of the active WRs push Gute one way or the other on a possible Brandon Cooks trade.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't understand the desire of so many to look at WR when the clear deficit on this team is DB and OLB or DL well before WR.

Cooks IMO while possible fiscal wise would just cause larger headaches next year carrying dead money for a "half year" push and depleting any available funds we have this year or to carry into next.

If Texans are looking to sell and build draft capital, I'd be more interested if there are any guys in the Front 7 they would move that would help us.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have backed the WR room as much as anyone. Pointing out small sample size and lack of targets to truly evaluate these guys. I believe tonight could go a long way in showing if that is the case or if they just do not get separation to get open. I will not be afraid to admit I was wrong if that turns out to be the case. A characteristic that seems to be lacking in some. Obviously Gute agrees with you as he has brought in Rasul, Smith & Mercilus. Since he hasn't pulled the trigger on a trade for another defensive player maybe there just isn't one out there that fits. Therefore it could be GB just has to out score everyone and in that case I believe Cooks could help. I still do not expect you to understand, so I guess it is a good thing that doesn't matter to me even though I do like your well thought out input in your posts.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're 6-0 without Davante (four games in 2019 and two last year) - I believe we are far less explosive but fully capable without him with Aaron at QB (he threw 17 TDs and only 1 INT in that time). Those games were with IMO far less WR groups for the most part than tonight (IF MVS goes). Don't get me wrong Lazard was in for all or most of those and went off on the one vs Saints for a ton of yards if memory serves.

There is no denying Cooks makes the WR room better if he came, be foolish to not think that - agree with you there and honestly if we got hit by injury bug in WR room I'd be more a fan of a WR trade. I just don't see WR as a spot to build a Super Bowl pushing team - give me a guy if we trade for the trenches on defensive side of the ball where we are short or a DB

Fiscally any trade must make sense given our grave salary situation...If anyone is curious about just how rough our salary situation is check out this summary page:

I despise how many players we will be Bonilla style (I know not exactly same) for years after their contracts are up.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not opposed to getting a WR. I wouldn't do it just because Adams is likely out. Because it is only one game. And Rodgers seems to need a lot of trust and be on the same page before a WR gets targets. That being said, cooks may be had for a late pick and I would say, give it a shot. But I doubt anything happens.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not opposed to getting a WR. I wouldn't do it just because Adams is likely out. Because it is only one game. And Rodgers seems to need a lot of trust and be on the same page before a WR gets targets. That being said, cooks may be had for a late pick and I would say, give it a shot. But I doubt anything happens.

He is due 15M next year...with $7.5 dead if cut IF I am interpreting his contract right - Capt or someone can correct me if wrong please. Gute would be slitting his wrists deeper doing that trade if so though.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is due 15M next year...with $7.5 dead if cut IF I am interpreting his contract right - Capt or someone can correct me if wrong please. Gute would be slitting his wrists deeper doing that trade if so though.
Yeah, given that - I would pass.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

If Pitt has to pay all those voided years money, I make this a trade priority. I'm not planning on Z being back this year.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brian Gutekunst never seems to pull the trigger on an impact trade. God forbid they should give up a 5th round draft pick for a difference maker. Of course cap space is a legit concern.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brian Gutekunst never seems to pull the trigger on an impact trade. God forbid they should give up a 5th round draft pick for a difference maker. Of course cap space is a legit concern.

LOL Gute has made numerous moves - name one trade which you feel he should have made that fiscally we could have made that only would have cost a 5th?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of those 5th rounders are current starters.

For sure, but I'm asking what trades has he refused to do as Southside eludes to?

Stephon Gilmore fiscally we couldn't do a trade for - he needed to be a cut and sign given our salary restraints. That is the player I sense he was eluding to.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stephon Gilmore fiscally we couldn't do a trade for - he needed to be a cut and sign given our salary restraints. That is the player I sense he was eluding to.

Thats not true...Gutekunst could have offered more draft capital in order to get new england to agree to eat some pf gilmores salary

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers were in the running for all pro cornerback Stephon Gilmore. The 31-year-old player had a base salary of $7 million in 2021 after signing a five-year, $65 million contract with the Patriots in 2017 and being advanced $5 million of his 2021 earnings in the 2020 season. The Panthers are set to pay Gilmore $5.8 million over the rest of the season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats not true...Gutekunst could have offered more draft capital in order to get new england to agree to eat some pf gilmores salary

I strongly don't believe NE was interested in eating any cost from a guy they were cutting regardless. The draft equity for a one year rental it would have taken them to be willing to do that IMO wasn't going to be worth it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I strongly don't believe NE was interested in eating any cost from a guy they were cutting regardless. The draft equity for a one year rental it would have taken them to be willing to do that IMO wasn't going to be worth it.
I'd agree. Bill isn't in the business of that at all his record would show. Gets 'em good, or get's em gone and when they're good, but too expensive, or good but don't want to be there or good, but won't be for long, he gets them gone and off the books. He's not keeping dead money around. He's cutting the weight, no adding it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers were in the running for all pro cornerback Stephon Gilmore. The 31-year-old player had a base salary of $7 million in 2021 after signing a five-year, $65 million contract with the Patriots in 2017 and being advanced $5 million of his 2021 earnings in the 2020 season. The Panthers are set to pay Gilmore $5.8 million over the rest of the season.

Which we couldn't afford. Like Quick indicated the ONLY chance Gute would have had was most likly creeping into late Day 2 or Earliest Day 3 draft capital to see if NE would eat some of the salary through a reworked deal.

I don't personally think New England wanted to do that, or at least no where near the amount GB would have needed them to - because you don't want to eat up every bit of your cap space which is presently this season around $5.2M

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course they would would have done that. Throw in a 7th down the road and they'd have eaten a lot of that salary. It's not uncommon in the NFL. You need to read more about how trades work in the NFL.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts