• Yes

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 78.2%

• Total voters

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say we trade for someone - doubtful given cap situation, but let's roll that way.

Personally I think trading for a WR is not as beneficial as a starting level CB. Our offense has a two headed MONSTER that has nearly 600 yards in three games with Dillon/Jones....the best WR in the game racking up yards, MVS getting healthy will reapply that deep dimension even Rodgers has spoke to missing, and then you have Cobb that is very familiar with QB for situations, Lazard excels in getting open when needed it seems (just not looked at much) and blocking. Plus you got Tonyan that surely is going to produce more at some point - and big dawg is arguably the #4 most important skill position guy on the field or 3rd even at times. Yes another big weapon would be awesome BUT...

Give us a CB that instantly comes in and makes King the backup or inside battling for snaps with Sullivan this team is instantly better. Instantly.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say we trade for someone - doubtful given cap situation, but let's roll that way.

Personally I think trading for a WR is not as beneficial as a starting level CB. Our offense has a two headed MONSTER that has nearly 600 yards in three games with Dillon/Jones....the best WR in the game racking up yards, MVS getting healthy will reapply that deep dimension even Rodgers has spoke to missing, and then you have Cobb that is very familiar with QB for situations, Lazard excels in getting open when needed it seems (just not looked at much) and blocking. Plus you got Tonyan that surely is going to produce more at some point - and big dawg is arguably the #4 most important skill position guy on the field or 3rd even at times. Yes another big weapon would be awesome BUT...

Give us a CB that instantly comes in and makes King the backup or inside battling for snaps with Sullivan this team is instantly better. Instantly.
May want to add that Jones and Dillon are very capable receivers themselves.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
May want to add that Jones and Dillon are very capable receivers themselves.

That 600 yards is all purpose yards so included. Many know I was banging the Dillon can catch drum at draft night - there were very few of us here sharing that drum.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem I see is many of the CBs folks want to talk about are similar insanely expensive.

Many will hate this, but one guy I have circled is Xavier Rhodes presently with Indy. Indy is at 2-4, if they loss another game or so this season is going to be like the Texans a look to the future and they have some young DBs they're high on, so could entertain a trade for Rhodes. Digestible cost depending on how the salary part of the trade shakes out - and I see not taking more than a late Day 3 pick.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my most recent recollections of Xavier Rhodes are not good ones. Well good for us, but not if he played with us

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my most recent recollections of Xavier Rhodes are not good ones. Well good for us, but not if he played with us

Which is why I said "many will hate this" - however given our financial situations and the need for a team to be in a position of wanting to trade he is one such experienced veteran that you have to circle. I plan on exploring a few more rosters to see if a similar set up exists elsewhere too.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a sound financial analysis of how much of a cap hit we would take this year if we traded for Xavien Howard, Brandin Cooks or OBJ? (And hence if any of these players would be doable given that we are signing Mercilus)
It is a matter of looking at each players contract and on this site I usually look at "Base Salary" + "Roster bonuses" + "Incentives". With Roster Bonus, look to see if its per game or paid in March.

Really, just view it as the player comes with his current contract (unless a new one is negotiated with the trade). Take out what he has already been paid this season and that becomes the cap hit for the Packers this season. Now look to see if he is under contract for more seasons and what those same numbers look like.

Cooks contract is probably about the only one that the Packers could afford right now.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I don't see any of those happening - you are correct only one that I guess you could put even in the "possible" category is Cooks.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a sound financial analysis of how much of a cap hit we would take this year if we traded for Xavien Howard, Brandin Cooks or OBJ? (And hence if any of these players would be doable given that we are signing Mercilus)

Sounds like Mercilus is signing for the minimum because he wants to win a championship...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Mercilus is signing for the minimum because he wants to win a championship...

Yup it mirrors the Jaylon type deal - he's still getting paid this year by Texans so essentially chose Green Bay for a chance.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
per a quick perusal of OTC.
Xavien Howard
Remainder of his $12m guaranteed salary plus $6m next season's guaranteed for injury.
Brandin Cooks
Remainder of his $2.5m salary and $500k per game bonus. Next season he gets $12.5m + per game bonus. I think Houston takes a $4.4m cap hit.
Remainder of his $14.5m salary of which almost $13m is guaranteed plus escalators.

Yeah I don't see any of those happening - you are correct only one that I guess you could put even in the "possible" category is Cooks.
agreed

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Capt is the cap expert on here. Just from my gut, I would say a trade is just undoable for any of them. We have to resign Alexander and Adams, arguably among the top 1 or 2 players at their respective positions. GB has been managing pretty well all things considered. At this point in the season, I don't see their chances of winning a SB change much with any trade or addition, so why bother? (Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a guy like Brooks to take some doubles off Adams.) Most teams now just have to play the cards they've been dealt.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I only say that cuz I just think there is more goin on than just his injury I don’t think there is gonna be any moves at all but they need more players the toughest part of the schedule is on the horizon and they are hurtin.. however if Odell some how got here in whatever way possible I think that would be nice.. with no money bout a .01 percent chance of that happening lol
For all of his physical talent, OBJ has never really helped any team he's played for. To me he's a talented prima donna and we already have one too many of those. And at least our prima donna produces and wins games!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd disagree no move would change our odds - you make King able to not be our other starting CB and I like our chances far more than before (which already are decently high).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It is now official.

Attachments

• FCO_xaHXEAAbmgO.jpeg
    FCO_xaHXEAAbmgO.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 76

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd disagree no move would change our odds - you make King able to not be our other starting CB and I like our chances far more than before (which already are decently high).
King - the only player that really makes me shudder when he's on the field.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Joe but I honestly don`t understand why this guy is hated so much. Not a critisism, just an observation.

Honestly, it isn't that he makes more mistakes than some other non-elite players on our team - it is purely because some of his mistakes are the type that result in opposing team getting points. King is a roller coaster ride as I put it that no one picks over others to ride, but the line is short and still is fun in sections - he can throw out a game where he looks elite and then get burned for 200 yards and 2 tds the very next.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the Packers knew what they had when offering King a one year deal at $5M. Quality CB's make a lot more money. All this hand wringing over King is kind of funny, because those complaining about him, seem to be complaining even louder about the secondary when he is hurt. With Alexander out, the Secondary has become a troublesome area, but having King in it, is better than the other options, so it was good to see him back at practice yesterday.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Joe but I honestly don`t understand why this guy is hated so much. Not a critisism, just an observation.
You're right Bill. Dislike of King is more emotional than logical. A lot of people, including me, just can't get over that GB could have had TJ Watt who was selected shortly after King by the Steelers. King's play has been up and down, as Ty explains pretty well. And then King pretty much single-handedley lost the NFCCG last year on three plays (well, he was a major contributor). But you raise a good point. The criticism isn't really fair. It's a matter of recency more than anything. He'll be gone next year, people will forget, and we'll leave the past where it belongs, in the past. Actually that's what we should do now and just accept what is.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`m setting myself up here but........If a player plays like he wants to be here and is I`ll give them my support. I`ve come unstuck in the past with the likes of Bennett, but I hated the abuse Ross got for those fumbles and the **** Bostick got for his schoolboy error, but if they are proud to wear the jersey.....Please form an orderly queue to pile on when you read this. Not you Joe.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`m setting myself up here but........If a player plays like he wants to be here and is I`ll give them my support. I`ve come unstuck in the past with the likes of Bennett, but I hated the abuse Ross got for those fumbles and the **** Bostick got for his schoolboy error, but if they are proud to wear the jersey.....Please form an orderly queue to pile on when you read this. Not you Joe.

Not at all bill. I would rather not have to play King, but I'm one of the few that acknowledges he is better than most will admit - and especially right now holds IMMENSE value for us.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some ideas at corner. For some of these, the teams would have to move into the mindset of a "seller" in the next week or so. Most likely, no move is forthcoming.

-Noah Igbinoghne, Dolphins: 1st round pick in 2020 who has not worked out for Miami. Flores' defense is one of the toughest in the league specifically for corners. Maybe if they liked him in college, they'd take a flier on a reclamation project in a very different scheme? He would be affordable.

-Avonte Maddox, Eagles: Pure slot option at the end of a rookie deal.

-Casey Hayward, Raiders: Seeing a bounce back season in Vegas on a cheap, one year deal.

-Bryce Callahan, Broncos: Some inside/outside versatility, familiarity with style of defense, and on the end of his contract.

-Joe Haden, Steelers: Veteran corner on the last year of his deal.

-Troy Hill, Browns: Scheme familiarity on an affordable two year deal.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

King was doomed with the fan base as soon as TT passed on T.J. Watt to trade down and take him instead.

Then King seemingly broke out in 2019 and started garnering a lot of positive attention, which just further incentivized his critics to make that case that he sucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts