Tracking the NFC North

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright, gang. Surprisingly, shockingly, inexplicably, however you'd like to characterize it :roflmao: , we control our own destiny in the division. If we beat the Lions, and beat the Vikings, we pick up a game on each of them, and win the tie breaker on Detroit based on head to head, and the tie breaker on Minnesota on division record.

I know everyone is down in the dumps, as am I. But we have a shot at this thing, and we have a very realistic path to getting it done. The Vikes have a tough one this week against the Cardinals, unfortunately the Lions have another bye week against the Jags.

Updated as of Week 10:

Lions - 5-4
Vikings - 5-4
Packers - 4-5

Remaining schedules:

Green Bay:

@Redskins 5-3-1
@Eagles 5-4
Texans 6-3
Seahawks 6-2-1
@Bears 2-7
Vikings 5-4
@Lions 5-4

Minnesota:

Cardinals 4-4-1
@Lions 5-4
Cowboys 8-1
@Jaguars 2-7
Colts 4-5
@Packers 4-5
Bears 2-7

Detroit:

Jaguars 2-7
Vikings 5-4
@Saints 4-5
Bears 2-7
@Giants 6-3
@Cowboys 8-1
Packers 4-5

Luckily the division is weak and probably the Packers only chance for playoffs is winning the division.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah! Packers have a chance to make an undeserved playoff appearance based on a terrible division! That will give the front office the perfect cover for keep MM around because, hey, he made the playoffs!

I freely admit that MM might change his spots and suddenly become innovative on offense and figure things out, in which case he deserves to stick around. However, based on the offense since last October, MM is just going to keep banging his head into the wall and blaming the players. Which is kind of funny when you think about it, MM gets credit for being a great offensive coach when he has a ton of elite talent on offense but then blames his not-as-elite players for not performing when he does poorly; seems like a good offensive coach would prove his value the most when the talent isn't overwhelming.

Also, I'm not someone that wants to root against the Packers but for some reason there's this feeling that teams can't get rid of coaches that make the playoffs even when everyone knows the team underperformed horribly. MM might be a good coach on a different team with elite offensive players that can "just beat their man" without any scheme help, but the Packers just aren't that team right now.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Worrying about beating the Vikings and Lions? You should be worried about this weekends game. Because if you don't win that, beating the Vikings and Lions won't really matter. The way the Packers have been playing they will be lucky to win 1 of the next 4 games.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worrying about beating the Vikings and Lions? You should be worried about this weekends game. Because if you don't win that, beating the Vikings and Lions won't really matter. The way the Packers have been playing they will be lucky to win 1 of the next 4 games.

Says the guy whose team has lost 4 straight. Of course we are worried about this week's game bc the redskins are better than both the vikings and lions. The perk is the Vikings have 4 tough games coming up and with how they are playing 2-2 would seem like a win for them. The Lions haven't been able to string together a lot of wins either.

The Packers can worry about the Lions and Vikings bc the only chance they have of making the playoffs is winning this terrible division

Who trash talks when their team has lost 4 straight?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Says the guy whose team has lost 4 straight. Of course we are worried about this week's game bc the redskins are better than both the vikings and lions. The perk is the Vikings have 4 tough games coming up and with how they are playing 2-2 would seem like a win for them. The Lions haven't been able to string together a lot of wins either.

The Packers can worry about the Lions and Vikings bc the only chance they have of making the playoffs is winning this terrible division

Who trash talks when their team has lost 4 straight?
Let me put it this way. 10-6 or 11-7 will most likely win the division. I don't see 6 games the Packers can win the way they are currently playing. Now, if by some miracle they can pull it together. Let's say they go 1-3 the next 4 games and 3-0 against the rest of the north at the end. That would make them 8-8. I can see at least 4 wins for the Lions, and 3-4 for the Vikings.

I have no delusions about my team. They are most likely not making the playoffs, unless by some miracle the o-line comes together and can run block. Right now, an 8-8 season wouldn't surprise me. Nor would a 6-10.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me put it this way. 10-6 or 11-7 will most likely win the division. I don't see 6 games the Packers can win the way they are currently playing. Now, if by some miracle they can pull it together. Let's say they go 1-3 the next 4 games and 3-0 against the rest of the north at the end. That would make them 8-8. I can see at least 4 wins for the Lions, and 3-4 for the Vikings.

I have no delusions about my team. They are most likely not making the playoffs, unless by some miracle the o-line comes together and can run block. Right now, an 8-8 season wouldn't surprise me. Nor would a 6-10.

11-7 to win the division is a bold call

I think 9 wins does it because I don't see the vikings winning 4 more. I think they go 1-3 over the next 4. Lions probably have 4 more wins. That means the Packers need to win 5 which isn't likely at all. I have no delusions about my team but I am not going to Viking boards saying they are lacking to win another two games

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well...yeah, duh. Those two teams do play in the same division as the Packers, no?

Okay. Let me paint the picture a different way then. If the Packers, Lions, and Vikings all win or lose the exact same amount of games between now and Week 16, and the Packers beat the Lions and Vikings specifically (NFC North competition the last I checked) then we win the division. Hence, controlling our own destiny. Not concerned with anyone else's path to the division besides my team.

The purple boys got enough issues to be worrying about without trolling on the cheese heads. ;)

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which part of his comments weren't spot on?
Well the Packers can worry about being able to beat the vikings and lions bc that is the only way to win the division and the only way to make the playoffs. We are fans and dont have to take it one game at a time.

Comes off pretty sad to me to say another team is lucky to win one of their next four when your team has lost their last 4. Put it this way it would be ridiculous for me to go to a Viking board and talk smack by saying the vikings will be lucky to win one of the next four the way they are playing (which is true).

He makes excuses for why the vikings are losing and rips the Packers every chance he gets. This board is in full agreement the Packers are bad. It is a rough season and his shtick is getting old.

I will be done commenting though. No benefit to the board

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the Packers can worry about being able to beat the vikings and lions bc that is the only way to win the division and the only way to make the playoffs. We are fans and dont have to take it one game at a time.

Comes off pretty sad to me to say another team is lucky to win one of their next four when your team has lost their last 4. Put it this way it would be ridiculous for me to go to a Viking board and talk smack by saying the vikings will be lucky to win one of the next four the way they are playing (which is true).

He makes excuses for why the vikings are losing and rips the Packers every chance he gets. This board is in full agreement the Packers are bad. It is a rough season and his shtick is getting old.

My point was that it WOULDN'T be ridiculous, especially since, as you note, it's true. If my car is dirty, I can't say that yours needs a wash?

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well...yeah, duh. Those two teams do play in the same division as the Packers, no?

Okay. Let me paint the picture a different way then. If the Packers, Lions, and Vikings all win or lose the exact same amount of games between now and Week 16, and the Packers beat the Lions and Vikings specifically (NFC North competition the last I checked) then we win the division. Hence, controlling our own destiny. Not concerned with anyone else's path to the division besides my team.

The purple boys got enough issues to be worrying about without trolling on the cheese heads. ;)

Vikings Troll:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

What my team did or did not do has no bearing on my opinion of the Packers next 4 games. If they had won the last 4 I would be blamed for "talking smack" because they won.

I made no excuses for why my team lost 4 in a row. Their o-line sucks. That's not an excuse, it's a fact. Their o-line was suspect at the beginning of the year, and with the starters out, it's not going to get better. Injuries happen. Sometimes the "next man up" doesn't work.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can make a good case for saying every game from here on out is a must win game.
For me, the division games are the most must win.
Next level- since we have little chance of a wild card- are the next two games with the Redskins and Eagles. Right now, I don't see better than 8-8 with no playoffs.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This becomes more and more depressing by the week......

Updated as of Week 11:

Lions - 6-4
Vikings - 6-4
Packers - 4-6

Remaining schedules:

Green Bay:

@Eagles 5-4
Texans 6-3
Seahawks 6-2-1
@Bears 2-7
Vikings 5-4
@Lions 5-4

Minnesota:

@Lions 5-4
Cowboys 8-1
@Jaguars 2-7
Colts 4-5
@Packers 4-5
Bears 2-7

Detroit:

Vikings 5-4
@Saints 4-5
Bears 2-7
@Giants 6-3
@Cowboys 8-1
Packers 4-5

The optimist in my says that, obviously, either the Lions or Vikings have to lose this Sunday, and that both have very tough tests in week 13. Detroit has to go to New Orleans and try to slow down Drew Brees and that offense, don't think they can win a shoot out with them, and Minnesota plays the team with the best record in football in Dallas.

Knowing our luck, Brees will go down in the 1st quarter and Dallas will finally decide to have an off game.

Of course, if we don't find a way to win ourselves this is all a moot point.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
This becomes more and more depressing by the week......

The optimist in my says that, obviously, either the Lions or Vikings have to lose this Sunday, and that both have very tough tests in week 13. Detroit has to go to New Orleans and try to slow down Drew Brees and that offense, don't think they can win a shoot out with them, and Minnesota plays the team with the best record in football in Dallas.

Knowing our luck, Brees will go down in the 1st quarter and Dallas will finally decide to have an off game.

Of course, if we don't find a way to win ourselves this is all a moot point.
You know, a tie would be the worst thing in the world for the Packers. Because at the end of the year if they all have 9 wins a tie counts for half a win and the Packers would be out.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I guess he thought the Packers play the Bears five more times this season.
I could see 2 maybe 3. But 5 is a stretch. Other teams would have to completely not show up. Packers are not in good spot right now with the "healthy" people they have on the roster. Just one of those years. Hate to say it, but I think the rest of the year is going to be brutal for Packer fans. Tough to win when you are giving up an average of 38 points over the last 4 games, and 27 ppg for the year. Not a winning formula no matter who you QB is.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts