Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True that! We should get more information on him in the next couple of months. If he doesn’t have any setbacks, a reasonable return would be 1st Quarter of the season.

I do love that we went heavy at DL and drafted 3 DL/Edge.
My eye will be closely on 6th Rounder Karl Brooks. His athletic testing was bordering on atrocious and that’s not our normal MO in player acquisition. But his tape doesn’t lie. He had a high pressure rate and his career 27.5% TFL just screams disruptive.
He finished College extremely strong.

“Brooks was a first-team selection in 2022, starting all 13 games and posting 50 tackles including 18 tackles for loss (tying for 10th nationally) and 10 sacks along with four pass breakups and two forced fumbles” -- by Chad Reuter

Brooks posted a 36% TFL rate last season. Granted in a lower echelon (MAC) Conference, but that’s still very impressive and I’m not sure how that got overlooked for 5 Rounds. He’s basically a Kingsley Keke+ Type athlete playing in MAC and dominating.

Testing doesn’t capture motor or heart and to a point technique…three ways Brooks wins

D

Deleted member 6794

Wow. Just wow.

If we get the #1 pick it's more likely Rodgers has a meltdown in NY but plays in a big enough % of games.

I dont know what to say. Love looked good, very good in the preseason and in the small amount of regular season play. If he stays healthy, we will be all right.

Honestly, I don't know what you see in Rodgers' or Love's play. Rodgers isn't perfect and Love isn't garbage.

The Packers finished last season with an 8-9 record. While Rodgers had a terrible season based on his standards he was still an average starter in the league. There's no way of knowing how Love will fare based on limited action against prevent defenses. In addition the Packers lost several veteran players in free agency while practically adding not a single one.

I fully expect them to have a worse record than in 2022. That doesn't mean they won't be able to show some promise for the future but I don't expect them to get anywhere near making the playoffs this upcoming season.

But the game against Philly was really impressive. Hurt was just killing us and Love came in for the 4th quarter with 11 mins left. He led us on 2 straight scoring drives against Phillys' top 3 defense. He played with so much poise - it should make all packer fans optimistic.

One game doesn't prove anything, but it's so much better than if he looked like garbage.

While Love looked promising against the Eagles you need to realize that it was a very small sample size against a defense playing prevent defense allowing him to complete all of his passes to his first read while hardly trying to pressure him. It will be much more difficult for him to have success against teams playing their regular schemes moving forward.

So when Lewis was in the game (if your #s are correct) GB ran 42% and passed 57%. What was the overall run/pass ratio?

No, the Packers ran the ball on 56.8% of the time Lewis was on the field. Overall, the Packers ran the ball on 43.4%, meaning they only did it on 33.4% of the plays Lewis wasn't on the field.

I think a big part of that is fans still appreciate raw leadership over raw talent. It’s actually pretty noble if you ask me for fans to choose a player for their leadership skill and be willing to take that chance of failure in doing so.

The fans actually have no idea about the leadership qualities of a player.

Like to look back and see how many preseason snaps Rodgers took in 2008 when we knew he was our new key holder.

I don't know how many snaps Rodgers took during the preseason in 2008 but he played quite a lot in the first three games, throwing 15, 16 and 22 passes respectively. He was hardly used in the finale having only a single attempt.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers finished last season with an 8-9 record. While Rodgers had a terrible season based on his standards he was still an average starter in the league. There's no way of knowing how Love will fare based on limited action against prevent defenses. In addition the Packers lost several veteran players in free agency while practically adding not a single one.

I fully expect them to have a worse record than in 2022. That doesn't mean they won't be able to show some promise for the future but I don't expect them to get anywhere near making the playoffs this upcoming season.

While Love looked promising against the Eagles you need to realize that it was a very small sample size against a defense playing prevent defense allowing him to complete all of his passes to his first read while hardly trying to pressure him. It will be much more difficult for him to have success against teams playing their regular schemes moving forward.

No, the Packers ran the ball on 56.8% of the time Lewis was on the field. Overall, the Packers ran the ball on 43.4%, meaning they only did it on 33.4% of the plays Lewis wasn't on the field.

I don't know how many snaps Rodgers took during the preseason in 2008 but he played quite a lot in the first three games, throwing 15, 16 and 22 passes respectively. He was hardly used in the finale having only a single attempt.
So if their is any translation or comparison that means the Packers should play Love to some extent in the preseason.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would you say that?

Before it was:

I'm absolutely stunned how many people truly believe they're capable of forming an educated opinion about somebody they have never interacted with in person

"Absolutely stunned" that you can form an "educated opinion" based on thousands of interviews, video, first-person accounts, etc.

You are having to say some pretty outrageous things to maintain your position.

Last edited:
Reaction score
More depends on our Defense and ST in this season imo. Jordan should be fine. After watching his complete (but limited) body of work in preseason and regular season combined, I think I’ve changed my opinion. Love is better than our fear will allow us to grade him. You can see it in the way he makes throws, he’s better than many backup QB level guys, his floor is really high. So he can function fine at a basic level.

My concern is more how high is his ceiling. Can he develop into a top 50% of the league (or better) QB to where he’s respected. That part nobody knows, including you or I.
Not initially we really don’t. However there was evidence from his College days and through interviews I read and watched concerning Jordan. Its more rare to see players’ coaches bring “leadership” up as a top3 consideration in player evaluation. His coaches specifically spoke to that and it’s likely not just something they made up like the media does through hype.

That said. Many people have the term leadership confused. Especially as it concerns the role in a family. They misperceive it as a threat in that instance. Many of the worlds historically best leaders didn’t initially aspire to their leadership role. In looking back in time, many claimed they were even forced to be a leader against their own desires. Great leaders find their own weaknesses and address them by incorporating the strengths of those surrounding them to cover them.

So see. A common misconception is that Jordan (or any good leader) has to “carry” the team/family. That’s not true, if we have a rare ability to convince the team to help carry us

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More depends on our Defense and ST in this season imo. Jordan should be fine. After watching his complete (but limited) body of work in preseason and regular season combined, I think I’ve changed my opinion. Love is better than our fear will allow us to grade him. You can see it in the way he makes throws, he’s better than many backup QB level guys, his floor is really high. So he can function fine at a basic level.

My concern is more how high is his ceiling. Can he develop into a top 50% of the league (or better) QB to where he’s respected. That part nobody knows, including you or I.

Not initially we really don’t. However there was evidence from his College days and through interviews I read and watched concerning Jordan. Its more rare to see players’ coaches bring “leadership” up as a top3 consideration in player evaluation. His coaches specifically spoke to that and it’s likely not just something they made up like the media does through hype.

That said. Many people have the term leadership confused. Especially as it concerns the role in a family. They misperceive it as a threat in that instance. Many of the worlds historically best leaders didn’t initially aspire to their leadership role. In looking back in time, many claimed they were even forced to be a leader against their own desires. Great leaders find their own weaknesses and address them by incorporating the strengths of those surrounding them to cover them.

So see. A common misconception is that Jordan (or any good leader) has to “carry” the team/family. That’s not true, if we have a rare ability to convince the team to help carry us
The ability to lead can vary as the challenge of a crisis escalates. Who would have thought Bart Starr could be a great leader in 1957? And leaders have different styles. Leadership can develop with experience. Jordan Love has a big task in front of him. If he were stepping into the role of most teams the expectation and the pressure to succeed would not be what it is in Green Bay. Whether we admit that or not he is playing for the Green Bay Packers and that alone says enough.

D

Deleted member 6794

So if their is any translation or comparison that means the Packers should play Love to some extent in the preseason.

I fully expect Love to receive significant playing time during the preseason.

Why would you say that?

Before it was:

"Absolutely stunned" that you can form an "educated opinion" based on thousands of interviews, video, first-person accounts, etc.

You are having to say some pretty outrageous things to maintain your position.

It seems you misunderstood my quote that I'm stunned that fans are capable of forming an opinion about a player's character without having interacted with him as me consenting with that opinion. Let me clear once again, I don't believe for a second that you can fairly evaluate a person without being around someone.

Therefore it should be pretty obvious that I don't believe anyone outside of that locker room has had any idea about Rodgers' leadership qualities.

In my opinion it's way premature to make an educated guess about how Love will end up performing. It might even take more than this season to figure it out.

There is absolutely no way for anybody to know what kind of leader Love will turn into, even the guys in the locker room have no idea at this point.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is absolutely no way for anybody to know what kind of leader Love will turn into, even the guys in the locker room have no idea at this point.
What??? Love's been in the locker room, practice field, and sidelines for every minute that the other players have been for the last 3+ seasons... and they don't have any idea about Love's demeanor, drive, or leadership ability? Pretty sure you have no idea at this point what you're talking about.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
According to this guys numbers, the Packers have the least expensive group of WR's in the NFL. I think this is pretty close to the Packers last years numbers as well.

Makes sense, mostly rookies and 2nd year guys.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
In my opinion it's way premature to make an educated guess about how Love will end up performing. It might even take more than this season to figure it out.
I don’t think that’s the case. I’m pretty sure I can hypothesize Jordans production and not be way off his season final numbers

I entered a March Madness basketball Pool with about 30 others at work. I don’t even follow College basketball on a regular basis, but I spent an hour researching teams schedules and how they were playing against top level or bottom dwellers and recent injuries etc.
I picked 3 of the Elite 8 and I would’ve had 4 had Arizona not let me down. I had them Winning it and they got knocked out early. But I still finished 5th in points. If I can do that with teams I don’t even watch with little research?
I’m pretty confident we can guess at a team/player we follow on a near daily basis and do it with reasonable accuracy. You can check me for accuracy when we are deep into the 2023 season
~3,600 yards
~24TD
~13INT
~63% Comp
92% Passer rate

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that's impressive. I am hoping you can answer a few questions for me.
1. When watching AR take his reps with the starters did Love hold his helmet in his left or right hand?
2. When running the scout team was he more comfortable in the Bears, Lions or Vikes offense?
3. When it was his turn to bring coffee to QB room meetings was it Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks?
Asking for a friend.

D

Deleted member 6794

What??? Love's been in the locker room, practice field, and sidelines for every minute that the other players have been for the last 3+ seasons... and they don't have any idea about Love's demeanor, drive, or leadership ability? Pretty sure you have no idea at this point what you're talking about.

Of course the players in the locker room know about his demeanor and possibly his drive. I wasn't talking about that at all but specifically and exclusively about his leadership skills though.

Do you honestly believe the backup quarterback is one of the leaders of the team with a HOFer starting ahead of him? He hasn't been asked to be a leader of the team so far, therefore no one has any idea of how he will end up doing in that role at this point.

According to this guys numbers, the Packers have the least expensive group of WR's in the NFL. I think this is pretty close to the Packers last years numbers as well.

Makes sense, mostly rookies and 2nd year guys.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Packers ranked 27th in cap space allocated to wide receivers at $12.1 million last season.

OTOH I expect maybe a dozen drives from him. Most of 1st qtr game 1 and 1st & part of second in game 2.

I fully expect Love to play a ton of snaps in the first two preseason games. I guess he won't be used much in the final one.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course the players in the locker room know about his demeanor and possibly his drive. I wasn't talking about that at all but specifically and exclusively about his leadership skills though.

Do you honestly believe the backup quarterback is one of the leaders of the team with a HOFer starting ahead of him? He hasn't been asked to be a leader of the team so far, therefore no one has any idea of how he will end up doing in that role at this point.
I don't believe that even as a backup QB behind a FHOF'r that Love was a shrinking violet. I highly, highly doubt that "no one has any idea" about his leadership, but I'm not expecting you to ever change your opinion.
" 'He has that leadership ability,” Utah State coach Gary Andersen, the former head coach at the University of Wisconsin, told ESPN Wisconsin’s “Wilde And Tausch” Wednesday.

“Last year, we played seven games that went down to the wire. We won five of them,” he explained.

“Every single time we got in those situations, all he does is look over at you, give you a wink and say ‘Coach, we got this thing’ and goes out, and the team believes in him.'”

"Love would bring a different leadership style than Rodgers. He’ll lead – in his own way.

“He doesn’t talk a whole bunch,” Yost recalled. “It’s like the old commercial – ‘When E.F. Hutton talks, everybody listens’ from way back when. I don’t even know what E.F. Hutton was; I was just a kid back then.”

“Most of the time, it’s just him saying what he needs to say,” Yost said. “But, every now and then, he’d take a play and he would talk about it, all the other guys listened. The other guys had all played quite a bit and were older and he was kind of the young guy, but when he talked, the guys all knew important it was to him and, if he was saying something, it mattered.”

At Utah State, Yost said Love mostly hung out with the receivers and running backs. That’s been the case in Green Bay, too, which would help with the critical transition between 16-year starter and first-year starter.'"

Reaction score
Now that's impressive. I am hoping you can answer a few questions for me.
1. When watching AR take his reps with the starters did Love hold his helmet in his left or right hand?
2. When running the scout team was he more comfortable in the Bears, Lions or Vikes offense?
3. When it was his turn to bring coffee to QB room meetings was it Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks?
Asking for a friend.
Your friend sure is negative.
You know.. you should consider hanging around other friends, that one is Bad News Bears :coffee:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully expect Love to play a ton of snaps in the first two preseason games. I guess he won't be used much in the final one.
I hope they don't keep him in if the O line is not performing well. And I don't see much reason for running either.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't believe that even as a backup QB behind a FHOF'r that Love was a shrinking violet. I highly, highly doubt that "no one has any idea" about his leadership, but I'm not expecting you to ever change your opinion.
" 'He has that leadership ability,” Utah State coach Gary Andersen, the former head coach at the University of Wisconsin, told ESPN Wisconsin’s “Wilde And Tausch” Wednesday.

“Last year, we played seven games that went down to the wire. We won five of them,” he explained.

“Every single time we got in those situations, all he does is look over at you, give you a wink and say ‘Coach, we got this thing’ and goes out, and the team believes in him.'”

"Love would bring a different leadership style than Rodgers. He’ll lead – in his own way.

“He doesn’t talk a whole bunch,” Yost recalled. “It’s like the old commercial – ‘When E.F. Hutton talks, everybody listens’ from way back when. I don’t even know what E.F. Hutton was; I was just a kid back then.”

“Most of the time, it’s just him saying what he needs to say,” Yost said. “But, every now and then, he’d take a play and he would talk about it, all the other guys listened. The other guys had all played quite a bit and were older and he was kind of the young guy, but when he talked, the guys all knew important it was to him and, if he was saying something, it mattered.”

At Utah State, Yost said Love mostly hung out with the receivers and running backs. That’s been the case in Green Bay, too, which would help with the critical transition between 16-year starter and first-year starter.'"

Well said, but I doubt that will change the minds of those who felt Rodgers was a great leader. ;)

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Can you find a quote from Rodgers about Love's leadership? That's the only person he will believe.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Jonathan Owens (Simone Biles new hubby) has been added to the Packer's roster at Safety. Sounds similar to Savage, fast but allows receptions at a healthy pace (124.8 passer rating against him). He's a 5th yr guy so either he shines or only makes it to the 1st cuts (at the latest)? https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...ackers-bring-aboard-Jonathan-Owens-210123549/
More competition in the Safety room doesn't hurt. Hopefully a change of scenery improves his game a little more and the Packers benefit from it.

Reaction score
Jonathan Owens (Simone Biles new hubby) has been added to the Packer's roster at Safety. Sounds similar to Savage, fast but allows receptions at a healthy pace (124.8 passer rating against him). He's a 5th yr guy so either he shines or only makes it to the 1st cuts (at the latest)? https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...ackers-bring-aboard-Jonathan-Owens-210123549/
Interesting. Packers Safety Jonathan Owens and Olympian Simone Biles just tied the knot 3 weeks ago.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The spotlight is a finite space. With Rodgers and others in GB there was only so much room for another name. Love will occupy that spotlight for the first time just as Rodgers did in 2008.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One definition of leadership is the ability to get a unit to accomplish things they could not/would not on their own. Rodgers melted in crunch time. 4th quarters of the Tampa Bay home playoff loss, SF home playoff loss, Detroit home “play in” loss? 10 of 23 for 83 yards one interception zero touchdowns. 52 QBR. That ain’t taking anyone anywhere. Brady? 7 Super Bowls. Yeah I know… fluke after fluke after fluke after fluke after fluke after fluke after (it’s all Belechik) fluke

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Solid young ascending guy that at times showed he may be a starter for sure after starting last year for a rough team.

Low cost, potentially something, the absolute best thing to do right now at this position.

Members online

Latest posts