Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lewis was mostly wide open because nobody expected him to be targeted. If the Packers would have tried that more often teams would have adjusted.
Well, yes. We should have forced them to keep an eye on him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I am kinda in the middle of you 2 guys. As of right now if you asked me if the Pack had a better chance of winning the division or finishing last in the division at this point my opinion would be last. I obviously hope to see improvement to change my opinion and would "LOVE" to be wrong.
That is what I am expecting (last in North), but I will be pleasantly surprised with anything more. A learning year for Love, as well as a growth year for a lot of young players. I think my optimism is for 2024 and beyond, especially if Love looks like a legit starting QB. The Packers will be armed with 2 first round picks and potentially picking in the top 1-10 in each round. Probably just as important, if the Packers can resign Gary this year, there won't be anyone all that important become a FA after this season.

There is no doubt in my mind that a Rodgers lead Packers team does better this year, but to what end? So we can go through the same BS next offseason and be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for him? It was time.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If MLF, a supposed great offensive mind and a disciple of Shanahan, can come close to what Shanahan has done with Purdy, who is probably less talented than Love, then the Packers might very well sniff the playoffs next season. Also, as bad as JB is, it's not like the Packers' defense was anywhere close to being the worst in the league the past 2 seasons.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All very true.

But the game against Philly was really impressive. Hurt was just killing us and Love came in for the 4th quarter with 11 mins left. He led us on 2 straight scoring drives against Phillys' top 3 defense. He played with so much poise - it should make all packer fans optimistic.

One game doesn't prove anything, but it's so much better than if he looked like garbage.

I agree... The early returns are favorable. He could have stunk against the Eagles, and he didn't.

How it translates to a seventeen-game season, however, remains to be seen. Once there is more film on Love, and teams are game-planning for him, it will be up to Love and his coaches to make the necessary adjustments...How well this is accomplished will determine his future in the league.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find myself in a very similar stance with Love as I had with Rodgers way back when:

Does this guy have the physical measurables - YES
Does he have athleticism to operate out of the pocket when plays break down - YES
Does he have the arm strength for off balance or unplanted throws in pressure - YES
Does he seem to have the team support - YES
Does he seem to have the management's support - YES
Has he shown progress so far in his years - YES
In live snaps has he shown promise and not drown under pressure - YES

Will he be good - ZERO ability to know yet...but I have more indicators of YES than NO.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find myself in a very similar stance with Love as I had with Rodgers way back when:

Does he have athleticism to operate out of the pocket when plays break down - YES
Does he have the arm strength for off balance or unplanted throws in pressure - YES

Will he be good - ZERO ability to know yet...but I have more indicators of YES than NO.
I mostly agree. I'm not sure how he'll do under pressure. So far he's stood in there, but we haven't seen him get rocked yet, or do it week to week.
other than that, I agree with all of it. The only questions to be answered as far as I'm concerned. How does he do with 2nd and 3rd reads and how quickly. How does he respond when teams start game planning for his 1 read tendencies. it's something that separates all QB's from elite and everyone else and all young guys have to go thru it before anybody knows.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree... The early returns are favorable. He could have stunk against the Eagles, and he didn't.

How it translates to a seventeen-game season, however, remains to be seen. Once there is more film on Love, and teams are game-planning for him, it will be up to Love and his coaches to make the necessary adjustments...How well this is accomplished will determine his future in the league.
Agree.

How many times have 2nd and 3rd string QB's made the Packer defense look pretty bad over the years? One advantage MLF, Love and the Packers will have, I don't expect them to be running the exact same playbook that they did with Rodgers at QB. So the new wrinkles might help to keep them a bit ahead of defenses, for awhile at least.

Does he have the "It factor"?

As Bhrett McCabe, Sports Psychologist describes it on his blog, “High-achievers who embody the IT Factor understand what they want and are ready to do what it takes in competition to get there."

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does he have the "It factor"?

As Bhrett McCabe, Sports Psychologist describes it on his blog, “High-achievers who embody the IT Factor understand what they want and are ready to do what it takes in competition to get there."

Before seeing them either in the starting slot for weeks on end, UNABLE TO ANSWER

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Before seeing them either in the starting slot for weeks on end, UNABLE TO ANSWER
Agreed. It might take 3, 6, 17 games before anyone really knows if Love has it or not. I will say this, it sounds like he is vastly improved over his rookie season. Given that some draft gurus had him as a top 10 pick in the draft, I'm excited to see him play.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mostly agree. I'm not sure how he'll do under pressure. So far he's stood in there, but we haven't seen him get rocked yet, or do it week to week.
other than that, I agree with all of it. The only questions to be answered as far as I'm concerned. How does he do with 2nd and 3rd reads and how quickly. How does he respond when teams start game planning for his 1 read tendencies. it's something that separates all QB's from elite and everyone else and all young guys have to go thru it before anybody knows.

The comment wasn't about how he will do under pressure, it was Does he have the arm strength for off balance or unplanted throws in pressure - he has the arm strength for sure, throws in college and also throws in games (preseason and regular season in NFL) he has shown it at times.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes, his arm strength was visible and obvious even in college. First thing I noticed about him, he can throw that thing

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Based on what I have read and seen, arm strength isn't a concern with Love. While I think he looked pretty good against the Eagles, it was only a small sample, against a defense that had a 14 point lead and probably hadn't really planned on facing Love. Now as a starter, he will be the main study for the team he plays against. How MLF, Stenavich, Clements and Love get ready each and every week and how it translates onto the field, will be the true test of what kind of QB he is. Then take into account that he is going to be working with probably the youngest receiving room in the NFL.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes, his arm strength was visible and obvious even in college. First thing I noticed about him, he can throw that thing

Yup, now the processing side of things is for sure unknown as we didn't know Rodgers really either before his first year. I will say both respectively has shown growth and promise in small sample sizes or preseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yup, now the processing side of things is for sure unknown as we didn't know Rodgers really either before his first year. I will say both respectively has shown growth and promise in small sample sizes or preseason.
I think the hardest thing for some Packer fans is that they have gotten used to Aaron Rodgers and his talents. If they think that Love is going to play at that level in his first year or two or ....they are going to be sadly disappointed.

Someone needs to put *****Crime Scene***** tape around the game day threads. I predict a lot of lemmings jumping off the highest tower that they can find.

Reaction score
But the one thing that is really bad is the spoiled fan base not being able to appreciate a HOF quarterback enough to want him gone because they truly believe they're entitled to having another one taking over for him.
I think a big part of that is fans still appreciate raw leadership over raw talent. It’s actually pretty noble if you ask me for fans to choose a player for their leadership skill and be willing to take that chance of failure in doing so.

Reaction score
Any side bets on Love and most of the offensive starters playing in preseason games this year?
It’s only 3 preseason games now. The presumed starters will most likely get around 50% of the total snaps throughout preseason. Obviously we’ll have beaucoup players we’ll want to get a good look at before cutdowns also.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It’s only 3 preseason games now. The presumed starters will most likely get around 50% of the total snaps throughout preseason. Obviously we’ll have beaucoup players we’ll want to get a good look at before cutdowns also.
No doubt. A lot of starters sat out all the games last year. I don't see that on offense, unless it's due to injuries. Aaron Jones might get very little work and maybe Bahk and Jenkins on Offense. Otherwise, I see most of the offense playing more minutes in preseason then we have seen in a long time. Defense, that might be similar to what we saw last season with the vets, get little or now work.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well said Mina!

Expectations should be through the roof! Add to those 8 1st round picks, 2 pretty well paid free agents in Campbell and Preston.

Joe Barry better be on a very short leash.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said Mina!

Expectations should be through the roof! Add to those 8 1st round picks, 2 pretty well paid free agents in Campbell and Preston.

Joe Barry better be on a very short leash.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
And the pressure on the defense may be even greater now that your team is not playing a hall of fame QB.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt. A lot of starters sat out all the games last year. I don't see that on offense, unless it's due to injuries. Aaron Jones might get very little work and maybe Bahk and Jenkins on Offense. Otherwise, I see most of the offense playing more minutes in preseason then we have seen in a long time. Defense, that might be similar to what we saw last season with the vets, get little or now work.
Gary will be a concern. I hope he is healing well. Could have used him in that Lion game.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any side bets on Love and most of the offensive starters playing in preseason games this year?
Like to look back and see how many preseason snaps Rodgers took in 2008 when we knew he was our new key holder.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will not know until he gets thrown to the Wolves. And it is the job of the coaching staff to do all they can to support him.

Reaction score
Gary will be a concern. I hope he is healing well. Could have used him in that Lion game.
True that! We should get more information on him in the next couple of months. If he doesn’t have any setbacks, a reasonable return would be 1st Quarter of the season.

I do love that we went heavy at DL and drafted 3 DL/Edge.
My eye will be closely on 6th Rounder Karl Brooks. His athletic testing was bordering on atrocious and that’s not our normal MO in player acquisition. But his tape doesn’t lie. He had a high pressure rate and his career 27.5% TFL just screams disruptive.
He finished College extremely strong.

“Brooks was a first-team selection in 2022, starting all 13 games and posting 50 tackles including 18 tackles for loss (tying for 10th nationally) and 10 sacks along with four pass breakups and two forced fumbles” -- by Chad Reuter

Brooks posted a 36% TFL rate last season. Granted in a lower echelon (MAC) Conference, but that’s still very impressive and I’m not sure how that got overlooked for 5 Rounds. He’s basically a Kingsley Keke+ Type athlete playing in MAC and dominating.

Last edited: