Tracking the #1 seed

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You proved my point that the Packers don't have much of a home field advantage in the playoffs. A first round bye has helped most teams get to the Super Bowl eccept for the Packers. Let's face it, this decimated team has won 4 close games that could just as easily have been a loss. They don't look like a championship team right now and I doubt home field will fix their problems on the offensive and defensive lines. Their injured players are just taking too long to get healthy in time.
All the more reason to looking forward to a bye week. I'm hoping it refreshes them in a big way, because they need it. I heard some commentator saying GB was keeping things back for the playoff run too, I don't know how true that would be, but if so I hope some of it is on the defensive side of the ball.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I heard some commentator saying GB was keeping things back for the playoff run too, I don't know how true that would be, but if so I hope some of it is on the defensive side of the ball.
Yeah, they are holding back on special teams too. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I think about all they are holding back on is bringing back some starters from IR. IF they could get Alexander and Smith on Defense and Bahk, Jenkins and Myers on offense....that could help a lot.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to count on other teams for home field advantage. The Packers just need to keep winning. Tampa and Dallas are not losing anymore games.

Reaction score
The Packers should be the biggest Washington Football Team fans in the world today. If they beat the Cowboys, the Packers are a Vikings victory away from sewing up the #1 seed.

I've never been the biggest fan of extended rest, but this Packers team could definitely use not only the extra week provided by the bye itself, but also to rest some guys at Detroit.

I'll take the Packers at (close to) full strength in the divisional round with the risk of a little early game rust as opposed to a compromised Packers team without more of its best players available.

Additionally, it'll be another opportunity to get Love on the field before the many unknowns about how this offseason will go.
I agree with all that. We also know the top seed always plays the bottom seed first. Tentatively, if we secure a #1 seed, it’s likely whoever is left from the Eagles, 49ers or Cardinals at Lambeau for the Divisional. We should know more next weekend.
As you said. I’m a Washington fan for tonight only. A Dallas loss (however unlikely) would put us as an overwhelming favorite because we’d only need 1 more Win regardless of what anyone else does. Go Skins!

PS. Minnesota got a taste of how things go without your #1 RB! Not so smooth after all!

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You always prefer to play at home in the playoffs. Always.
Maybe not this team. Imagine a bad weather game that puts a premium on running the ball and stopping the run. As bad as the d line got manhandled yesterday, I wouldn't want to get into that type of game. More likely to have that scenario at Lambeau. I like the Packers chances in a dome much more than in Lambeau.

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe not this team. Imagine a bad weather game that puts a premium on running the ball and stopping the run. As bad as the d line got manhandled yesterday, I wouldn't want to get into that type of game. More likely to have that scenario at Lambeau. I like the Packers chances in a dome much more than in Lambeau.
Problem is there is only one bye seed now, unlike the past. Don't really want to play Arizona, rams, vikes or even saints off the bat in the playoffs. Bye is so huge now

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This Packer team is a lot like the 2019 team, great record, but not looking like a dominant team. If we get some starters back and don't lose anyone along the way, maybe we get more consistent on offense and defense. If we don't, this team will probably bow out of the playoffs much like the 2019 team, running into a good team that plays a complete game and dominates the Packers. The Browns appeared to dominate the Packers in the second half, they just don't have the QB to have a consistent offense.

Reaction score
This Packer team is a lot like the 2019 team, great record, but not looking like a dominant team. If we get some starters back and don't lose anyone along the way, maybe we get more consistent on offense and defense. If we don't, this team will probably bow out of the playoffs much like the 2019 team, running into a good team that plays a complete game and dominates the Packers. The Browns appeared to dominate the Packers in the second half, they just don't have the QB to have a consistent offense.
I think much will depend on the health of our OL. Other than 1 Rookie in Royce, we have all backups playing. Many good teams of the past completely imploded when they lost 4 OL starters.

We desperately need J’aire back in the fold. He allows the D to completely change the way they use our Safeties.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We desperately need J’aire back in the fold. He allows the D to completely change the way they use our Safeties.
Jaire will help, but something needs to happen up front. Kenny can't do it alone and we definitely could use Z Dog to bolster the OLB group. Cleveland gashed the Packers front 7 and I think if Cook is back next Sunday night, the Vikings could do the same.

Reaction score
Jaire will help, but something needs to happen up front. Kenny can't do it alone and we definitely could use Z Dog to bolster the OLB group. Cleveland gashed the Packers front 7 and I think if Cook is back next Sunday night, the Vikings could do the same.
Yeah yeah yeah. Anybody could do the same. IDK if they beat us 50-3 last time, I’m not a Vikings enthusiast and I’m certainly not scared of them. I don’t care if we Win by 1 point, these fringe teams are desperate right now. They’ll go for it at their own 30!!

They played us without Aaron Jones and Rashan Gary. You take away Cook and Kendricks and play at Lambeau and add Jones and Gary? it’s a completely different game. If both guys are playing next week, the Vikings are going to get a nice surprise. A better draft pick and a 1 way trip home for good.

I also think we’ll get several starters back over the final stretch. Possibly J’aire to start, the Bak, then Turner then maybe maybe Z. If anyone should be scared it should be Minnesota and the lowest seed at Lambeau.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Dallas is playing unbelievable. Packers need to take care of Minnesota and Detroit. Wouldn't want to go through Dallas
I think Dallas, Tampa Bay and the Rams, in that order are the 3 teams I would like to avoid playing in "their house" or at all really. Winning a Super Bowl was never easy, lets hope they can get some players back and clean up a few things, because they haven't played like a top team in a few weeks.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah yeah yeah. Anybody could do the same. IDK if they beat us 50-3 last time, I’m not a Vikings enthusiast and I’m certainly not scared of them. I don’t care if we Win by 1 point, these fringe teams are desperate right now. They’ll go for it at their own 30!!

They played us without Aaron Jones and Rashan Gary. You take away Cook and Kendricks and play at Lambeau and add Jones and Gary? it’s a completely different game. If both guys are playing next week, the Vikings are going to get a nice surprise. A better draft pick and a 1 way trip home for good.

I also think we’ll get several starters back over the final stretch. Possibly J’aire to start, the Bak, then Turner then maybe maybe Z. If anyone should be scared it should be Minnesota and the lowest seed at Lambeau.
Dude I want to drink whatever your glass is half full of. At this point I think we get 1 of those guys back at the most. 2 would be a godsend.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Dallas, Tampa Bay and the Rams, in that order are the 3 teams I would like to avoid playing in "their house" or at all really. Winning a Super Bowl was never easy, lets hope they can get some players back and clean up a few things, because they haven't played like a top team in a few weeks.
Top teams beat good teams on the road and also manage to blow out a few teams as well. They also tend to be balanced with neither the offense or defense not in the bottom 10 or 12 and one or both in the top 10 or 12. While there have been a few exceptions where a super defense or offense can cover for a bad or medicre unit , balance is important. While the Packers beat Arizona on the road, they have struggled in every game this year and not dominated any teams. Both the offense and defense are a little better than average but neither great nor terrible. By those standards, the banged up Packers team is good but not a contender for the Super Bowl.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is MN's OL as good as Cleveland's?

ctfxcwatcher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahhh yes. This is the time of the season where we all start to see the future but try to ignore it because there is still a glimmer of hope that we will exercise those demons and finally get over the hump.

That game yesterday gave me a sinking feeling. For the love of the football gods I hope I'm wrong....

D

Deleted member 6794

You proved my point that the Packers don't have much of a home field advantage in the playoffs. A first round bye has helped most teams get to the Super Bowl eccept for the Packers. Let's face it, this decimated team has won 4 close games that could just as easily have been a loss. They don't look like a championship team right now and I doubt home field will fix their problems on the offensive and defensive lines. Their injured players are just taking too long to get healthy in time.

The Packers having lost a home game in the playoffs as a #1 seed 10 years ago doesn't prove your point at all.

While the team hasn't dominated any opponent I don't see how that would get any better playing on the road in the postseason.

The Rams-Vikings game today is an intriguing one as well. I think if the Vikings lose, they are all but eliminated from the playoffs and they come into Green Bay next week not that motivated.

The Vikings still have a pretty decent chance to make the playoffs by winning their remaining two games, especially if the Saints lose to the Dolphins tonight as they would win a tie-breaker with the Eagles. I fully expect them to be motivated at Lambeau on Sunday.

By those standards, the banged up Packers team is good but not a contender for the Super Bowl.

The banged up Packers are still the team with the best record in the league. They should definitely be considered a legit Super Bowl contender.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Vikings still have a pretty decent chance to make the playoffs by winning their remaining two games, especially if the Saints lose to the Dolphins tonight as they would win a tie-breaker with the Eagles. I fully expect them to be motivated at Lambeau on Sunday.
Could be. I think both the Packers and the Vikings will know just how important the game is before kick off, since the Steelers and Browns play on Monday night, all the NFC teams will have played.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are they capable of winning the Super Bowl though? ;)
Yes. The Packers are capable of winning the Super Bowl. They are also capable of not even getting to that game. It's the NFL, and on a given day, anything can happen.

The next two games will give the Packers an opportunity of refining and correcting problems they have on defense, and give them the opportunity of exploring what may still be missing in their offense. With the bye week, I doubt very much if it will be a "week off" for the team. I see them at least being into practice on a cerebral basis, with simple walk through sessions indoors. They're going to want to come off the bye ready to rumble, not look like they are rusty.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes. The Packers are capable of winning the Super Bowl. They are also capable of not even getting to that game. It's the NFL, and on a given day, anything can happen.

The next two games will give the Packers an opportunity of refining and correcting problems they have on defense, and give them the opportunity of exploring what may still be missing in their offense. With the bye week, I doubt very much if it will be a "week off" for the team. I see them at least being into practice on a cerebral basis, with simple walk through sessions indoors. They're going to want to come off the bye ready to rumble, not look like they are rusty.
I kind of like the mix of the next 2 games. The Vikings are better than some here want to think. They showed that when we lost in Minnesota a month ago. Was actually the start of our defense looking pretty bad again. Packers are going to need to be sharper than they have been in their last 3 games or the Vikings might walk out of Green Bay with a sweep. The Lions aren't going to lay down either. Beating the Packers would be viewed as a positive to a season that has finally started to show them that they can win.

2 weeks to iron out some of the issues that both the defense and offense have had....oh and the special teams too.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We have special teams? When did they start playing? ;)
Surprisingly, probably the only shining stars during the Browns game. Although, they did have the one penalty on a kickoff I think? Mason Crosby kicked the winning FG.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts